test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Infiltrating Project Awakening

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Missions and Content
I just wanted to comment on the quest Infiltrating Project Awakening - it's available in Canada from I think Justiciar and it's a level 23 mission. The basic premise is that you are invading a VIPER base to take on Mechaniste and stop the ongoing project to awaken psychic powers and create powerful VIPER soldiers.

This quest is by FAR the best instance I have done so far in this game. It is literally leaps and bounds above every other instance I have been in up to this point. It is reasonably long, has a bunch of enemies, and has interesting gameplay mechanics. There are scout drones that will find you and fly back to gather help from nearby soldiers. There are turrets that initially stay down in the ground, but certain enemies in rooms with turrets will run to a control console, and if you don't stop them quickly they will bring up the turrets to fire at you.

You can also take over the turrets and calibrate them to attack enemies if you have a keycard stolen from an enemy in the base or if you have a high enough arms skill. At the end, there is a great boss fight with Mechaniste - not just the silly single super villain standing in a room alone like in other instances. Instead, when you walk into the room he comes after you, and he has henchmen that attack you as well. He also summons a whole circle of turrets out of the ground and there is a good amount of cover available for you and him to hide behind.

Overall, this was really well done and I hope there are more quests like this at higher levels. I suggest that anyone who is in Canada definitely should do this quest and see it for themselves, because it is definitely the best one I've come across so far.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2009
    It is indeed a neat instance.

It's one of two "pre-Lairs" in the game, which introduce you to the more complex content available later in the game. The other is Stronghold, which also has its share of unique scenarios and special events.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just did that quest recently, and it was indeed the best instance thus far. I found that if I didn't take out the turrets before fighting Mechaniste, their high spike damage would slaughter me. Funny thing is though on my second go at him, after I took the turrets down the mission was complete without ever fighting him. A sure victory. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    There's actually a short-cut to beating him. (highlight for spoilers)

If you run to the back corner of the room, and put your back to one of the shielding walls so that the turrets can't target you, kill the Powered Armor guard working the computer and loot the key off him (you'll probably have to kill a couple guards and wound Mechanista to get some elbow room for this), then run to the console and activate it to turn the guns on the boss! That will finish him off right quick. I think each console overrides 1/2 of the room's turrets.

End Spoilers.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This was a great instance :) Rally enjoyed workign through it and figuring out the puzzle.

However, I do have one complaint. I am a support class that did psionic damage to mechaniste, lots for my group and some psionicbubble shields to help with the special attacks. I even ended up turtle tanking Mechaniste towards the end of the fight when I drew healign aggro. Everyone in the group got credit the perk for killing Mechaniste, except me. I know healed more than I damaged him, but its kind of a downer when a support role player doesnt qualify for the perk because they did their job in the group.

I did submit a bug report with supporting details from my combat log with times, powers activated, damage, time he died and time I was given credit for completing the quest objectives.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I was indeed amazed at the content of this particular quest. It was the only one like it that I managed to get done in the Open Beta. I'm glad to hear there are more waiting for me at higher levels. I was hoping such because it'd be a shame if this mission was the only one built like this. I also have yet to see any missions benefit from going Science or Mysticism yet.

The issue with beating Machaniste before you even get to him sounds like it may be an unintentional one and should be fixed. It ruins the enjoyment of the mission in my opinion.

EDIT: The shortcut that someone mentioned earlier is a nice feature which I felt gave a feeling of being crafty. It also allows players to choose an RP approach to either take him down the standard way, or through alternate means.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DrayGon777 wrote:
    I also have yet to see any missions benefit from going Science or Mysticism yet.

Tel Tower has something for science iirc.
    No idea about mysticism.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    However, I do have one complaint. I am a support class that did psionic damage to mechaniste, lots for my group and some psionicbubble shields to help with the special attacks. I even ended up turtle tanking Mechaniste towards the end of the fight when I drew healign aggro. Everyone in the group got credit the perk for killing Mechaniste, except me. I know healed more than I damaged him, but its kind of a downer when a support role player doesnt qualify for the perk because they did their job in the group.

That doesn't sound right, if you were in a group you should have gotten credit even if you sat in the corner spamming "/emote superdance" then entire time. They definitely need to fix that.
    I was indeed amazed at the content of this particular quest. It was the only one like it that I managed to get done in the Open Beta. I'm glad to hear there are more waiting for me at higher levels. I was hoping such because it'd be a shame if this mission was the only one built like this. I also have yet to see any missions benefit from going Science or Mysticism yet.

The best mission in the game (At least that I've done, I never got around to a few of them), is the Viper's Nest in Monster Island. That one is a ton of fun, although it takes a full group and like 2-3 hours to complete (ok, we had a three man group but my Sammy Erin character was grossly overpowered at the time). ;)

In roughly the same level range, definitely try out Stronghold Prison, it's a very similar encounter for level 24-26, and at 27-29 you can do Doctor Destroyer's base, which is another 3-5 person mission.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'm glad some people enjoyed this.

Because I've never had a more star-sucking miserable time in the game since end of beta fighting the ridiculous giant robots.

First, the turrets sometimes turn off when you use the console. Sometimes not. Sometimes one will turn off and the other wont (when paired). Sometimes you shoot out the security cameras, and that disables the turrets. Sometimes not. Oh, and you can't target half the mobs in the instance because they spam smoke grenades.

Then we get to Mechanistes room. I'm glad that the workaround to the turrets is in the back of the final bosses room on a master villain. that's freaking genius... after passing all the turrets up to this point (anyone sane would have put him down some side passage or something) Oh, did I mention that guy is in the back of the room with the final boss? Yeah, did I mention you can't GET to that guy without either a) pulling the boss? or b) trying to go past at least 5 active turrets that take off 40-50% of your health per shot?

Sorry. forgot to mention that.

The idea behind it is fantastic. But wow buggy. yike.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Both Project Awakening and Stronghold are really great immersive experiences. Way to go Devs!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ImDrFreak wrote:
    I'm glad some people enjoyed this.
    Oh, did I mention that guy is in the back of the room with the final boss? Yeah, did I mention you can't GET to that guy without either a) pulling the boss? or b) trying to go past at least 5 active turrets that take off 40-50% of your health per shot?

Not sure where you're coming from here. I just ran the mission tonight and was able to circle the outer wall counter-clockwise and take out all of the henchmen before starting the fight with Mechaniste. Two tried to run and activate the turrets, but I was able to root them before they pulled it off.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    This mission kicked my butt hard, but it was really awesome at the same time. I also really like the mission in the desert where you allow yourself to get captured by VIPER, and then break out of their prison and base. Great stuff. Destroyer's factory is also a great time.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I liked it, but tunnelers beware -
    1) the turrets can spot and shoot you and
    2) the security bots can spot you bringing tons of mobs over wherever you are sitting underground, and although they can't shoot you underground, they can make it very difficult to find a safe spot to surface.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I agree, this was a really great mission. The turrets at the end hit too hard though. (Which counts the other way for the spoiler'd method.) They shouldn't be so binary.

Ironically, I think this is because they are supposed to be 'weaker' than the other turrets, because they don't have the cone attack... but the cone attack barely tickles compared to the kinetic burst, which is like Apocalypse suppression turret damage levels.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I found this little gem tonight and it's really great! I went through it twice because I forgot to save the scientists the first time. The turrets were buggy for me, even with 230 Arms skill. I didn't notice the back panels on the boss until after my first kill. I couldn't get to them without aggroing the boss on my second run though. The first time I just used the wall ring as cover, easy. The second time I actually turned the turrets against him. I was shocked how quickly they took him down. Now I'm excited about the prison. All in all, the best thing I've come across in the game so far!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I got killed a bunch of times in this mission but I really had a good time. It was a tricky mission that really made you think and use tactics rather than just steamroll your way through. I also found the turrets to sometimes work "correctly", sometimes not. Very excitng. My Dual Blader soloed it, but again, she got her butt handed to her more than once!

The biggest problem with the mission was once I finished it, I realized I had to go back to just beating up those Couriers over and over again in order to level up. :(

I may give the Stronghold Prison thing a try tonight.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I found this little gem tonight and it's really great! I went through it twice because I forgot to save the scientists the first time. The turrets were buggy for me, even with 230 Arms skill.

Yeah, I've run this a couple times now and it seems that the whole turning-the-turrets-against-them thing doesn't quite work. On my second runthrough with the SAC Keycard, just about every turret in the base that I turned against them turned into a Friendly for a short while, but as soon as I got close they switched sides again and started shooting me full of holes. They work fine to kill Mechaniste, I guess he holds their aggro, but if they're not actively shooting an enemy they quickly turn against you again.
    It's a small bug, but the idea of turning the turrets was such a nice gem that to see it not work at all kind of ruined the instance for me. Looking forward to Stronghold, nevertheless.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    the security bots lessened the enjoyment this mission. I was fine witht he effect of summoning uge mobs. but being unable to heal was the bad part. I presume damaging them (and their immediately fleeing) was the reason I couldn't hardly ever heal--even if I ran back to the start of the floor and did nothing for long periods of time. After meeting a security bot, the only way to heal was to die..then eventually track down the security bot, suicide to make sure I killed it, then recover and go after the rest of the room.

Great mission, but this highlights the failure of the 'can't heal while something is aggrod' mechanic.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I dunno, the mission itself was good, but the boss... That was bad. It went like this, for me. I run in the first time, see him, and almost kill him. I duck behind one of the random objects to line of sight him, then all of the sudden I am frozen solid. I break out, take a big chunk of damage, then (without any delay) I am immediately frozen again. This happened three times in a row, each time doing about a fourth of my health, and when it's done, the Mechanist suddenly has full HP and I get killed by the turrets.

Okay, well, that was my first try, so obviously I was doing something wrong. Though the boss fully healing mid-battle for no reason upset me. So I try again, and this time, immediately upon entering the room, I am again frozen three times in a row, and die without even getting in the line of sight for the boss. This all happens one more time before I look up the mission in the forums, and go in and destroy all the turrets one by one. While I'm doing this, the boss is just standing doing nothing-- I was pretty okay with this. Though, once the turrets were destroyed and I start attacking the Mechanist, he doesn't fight back, and I just shoot him until he's dead.

Is this the big, epic boss battle you were all talking about? Because it seemed pretty atrocious, to me. Other than that, all this mission has to set it apart is the turrets, which don't seem all that impressive.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    IT'S A ZOMBIE! RUN!

Bob Scared Lion. roar.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Good to know that this is an enjoyable one. It's currently on my main character's mission list and I was debating between attempting it or going to Monster Island for the first time.

Guess I'll try this one!
  • Options
    jonandre1jonandre1 Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This mission is seriously bugged, and is now a total waste of time.

Every time I get Mechaniste down anywhere near unconscious, he immediately becomes invulnerable and/or untargetable, and drops his coldzone AoE -- and I start taking 200+ damage per tick, unless I stay in Block mode.

When this is done, he immediately recovers back to two-thirds health.

Rinse and repeat.

Previous posts mentioned a guy in the back corner, acting as a bodyguard. Nope, no guy there. I know this because I kept hiding in the back corners waiting for Mechaniste to come out from the center of the room.

They also mentioned turning the security guns against him. Not possible. The guy with the keycard has apparently been removed from the mission. You can turn them off -- briefly -- but the only way to deal with them permanently is to destroy them.

I tried for twenty minutes to take him out. The closest I got, he was down to about 10%, and IMMEDIATELY turned invulnerable. He then ran for the center of the room and started throwing freeze gun attacks at me. (By this time I wasn't dumb -- I went into Block mode.) And then he was back to two-thirds health. YET AGAIN. I had had enough, so I left the room and used Socrates to exit the map.

This mission is NOT FUN ANYMORE. Please fix this mission or remove it from the game.
    edited January 2014
    It happened twice for me. When it happened the first time, I got so frustrated I had to log off and exit the game completely after dropping the mission. So the second attempt was after several hours offline, completely new instance of the game.

To be honest, I only have so much attention to use on the game; if a mission is too hard, too challenging or too problematic for me, I'm only going to spend so much time on it, then I'm going to drop it and move on. There are ways to get a character up to level 40 that do not require so much effort as spending twenty minutes on a seemingly bugged quest,
    edited January 2014
    Is this one of those missions that suggest a party? Maybe try running it with a friend? If you don't have anyone to run it with, sent me a tell in game and I'll do it with you, my handle is in my sig below the happy pony
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think I've experienced something similar, though I was eventually able to power through it, but I was freeform with access to self heals so I was able to keep the pressure on him. IIRC he resets one health bar every time he does that annoying freeze ability, so if he's half dead when he freezes you he'll reset to 2/3rds. If you can't knock him down one even one bar he will just seem to stay at full health forever as his health will just keep resetting.
  • Options
    jonandre1jonandre1 Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Is this one of those missions that suggest a party? Maybe try running it with a friend? If you don't have anyone to run it with, sent me a tell in game and I'll do it with you, my handle is in my sig below the happy pony
    Thanks for the offer, but I've already moved on past this area.
    edited February 2014
    Done this twice in the past 3? days.
    1st go with a freeform Defiance + fire build w self heal. No probs killed him down and left.
    2nd go with a Void - ran into the heals up to 2/3rds health thing, found myself wishing for Lifedrain, left and resolved to come back at level 35.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."