test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

too much detail

chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Off Topic
There is such a thing as too much detail and this article is it;
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/2014/02/14/11/11/facebook-gender-terms-explained
Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really applaud facebook for doing this. The world is more complicated than what most people think (brains and genitila don't always match and vary) and doing things like this forces people to think about things.
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hey if that's how someone chose to view themselves who am I to judge?
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really applaud facebook for doing this. The world is more complicated than what most people think and doing things like this forces people to think about things.

Why can't people just write whatever gender they are... finding out what you are is as simple as looking in your pants, and there's only 4 possibilities down there.

If you want me to think about your pretencious notions about your made up genders, you'll have to make an adult film about it. Otherwise I just don't give a care u3u
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Why can't people just write whatever gender they are... finding out what you are is as simple as looking in your pants, and there's only 4 possibilities down there.

If you want me to think about your pretencious notions about your made up genders, you'll have to make an adult film about it. Otherwise I just don't give a care u3u

Because it's more than just about physical traits....
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    Because it's more than just about physical traits....

'round here we know the difference between gender and personality. One is in your pants, the other is in your head... some folks seem to have forgotten that there's a lot of real-estate between those two locations.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    'round here we know the difference between gender and personality. One is in your pants, the other is in your head... some folks seem to have forgotten that there's a lot of real-estate between those two locations.

I think we are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, I'd rather not get into an internet argument with you about it.
    EU5doX8.jpg
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you want me to think...

I'm getting the impression this isn't your strong suit.

Anyway, good on FaceBook for doing something not evil for once.
    edited February 2014
    Huh, that's pretty cool. I learned something today! XD
    Champions: @ace112233
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    How is this too much detail? Oh right, those are queers!

Actually I'm kidding. Thread needs to be closed.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    twg042370 wrote: »
    I'm getting the impression this isn't your strong suit.

lol, good one! s( ^ _ ^ )=b
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    How is this too much detail? Oh right, those are queers!

Actually I'm kidding. Thread needs to be closed.

actually i was aware that there are about 42 different variations of up to 6 sex chromosomes, which can be from male to female with a lot of maybes in between.

That's without people who change to match what they think/know they are.

we had one person at Gaming who was totally wrong as a guy but looked totally right as a female. Their body language was all wrong for a male.

I noticed that there is this long list but, there is no explanation on the screen with them.
    Is everyone supposed to know which they come under?
    the writer of the article had to go to all different sources to find what the different terms mean.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    chaelk wrote: »

I noticed that there is this long list but, there is no explanation on the screen with them.
    Is everyone supposed to know which they come under?
    the writer of the article had to go to all different sources to find what the different terms mean.

They knew that hordes of people would use them incorrectly even if they were carefully explained, so they figured why bother. Saying they're a "Spocksexual transidentified monkey lover" is the hottest hipster thing a hipster can do yo!
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hipster thing to do?

Are you seriously this much of a clueless moron?
    edited February 2014
    It's a brave step to help move us forward to a world of tolerance and respect for one another. I applaud Facebook.
    edited February 2014
    twg042370 wrote: »
    Hipster thing to do?

Are you seriously this much of a clueless moron?

Haha! Good one! s( ^ _ ^)=b
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    At the risk of inciting rage, I have to say:

While I think this is a step in the right direction, that many options just for stating ones gender is overkill. Half of those options seem redundant and only add to confusion.

For example, wouldn't a man who feels he's a woman on the inside much rather choose "female" instead of "transgender man" as his/her gender status? Since the latter refers to the gender in their pants, which they aren't happy with?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    True that. Someone who wants to be treated as female would just say female...or better yet, just put male, but just be themselves and let people treat them the way their personality dictates. Who the heck wants to be treated as or identify with something like "transgender man"? Reminds me of someone who gets all mad if you don't remember to call them by their special unique little term and accidentally say "sup guys" to a group of people they happen to be a part of.

It's like fine, whatever, they were born with a dingle but they feel like they should have a dangle... that doesn't mean they have to try to dress up their dingle as something it's not. wtf is "male" and "female" anymore anyway? Can't people just be who they are, independent of having to identify their personality with some anachronistic ideal of what personality type goes with dingles or dangles?

People who obsess over this to the point that there's that many titles need to start thinking about being a bit more progressive, and start treating people as individuals, rather than a category.
  • Options
    cptmillenniumcptmillennium Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't think anyone who hasn't experienced that life firsthand is qualified to speak about what someone who has should feel, want or identify as.
    edited February 2014
    I don't think anyone who hasn't experienced that life firsthand is qualified to speak about what someone who has should feel, want or identify as.

^

/10chars
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Well said captain.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    stevebumsidestevebumside Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That spinnytop person shows real ignorance and an unbelievable lack of understanding. You don't have to be an expert on everything in the world, but it's probably best to not comment if you are faced with a subject that you really know nothing about....or, you know, develop an understanding and then comment.

Would have been best if they didn't comment really.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    That spinnytop person shows real ignorance and an unbelievable lack of understanding. You don't have to be an expert on everything in the world, but it's probably best to not comment if you are faced with a subject that you really know nothing about....or, you know, develop an understanding and then comment.

Would have been best if they didn't comment really.

I actually have friends who fall under these various categories. I have a friend with gender dysphoria, I have a transgender friend, and I know a hermaphrodite, and of course like anyone I know some gays. They like that I treat them as individuals, rather than trying to figure out how I should treat them based on their gender or sexual orientation. They think what facebook is doing is a misguided pr move.

Yeah, treating people as individuals is ignorant. Lol, internet. Get over yourselves. Maybe take your own advice if you think people who don't know anything about the topic shouldn't comment :P
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    .....I actually have friends who fall under these various categories. I have a friend with gender dysphoria, I have a transgender friend, and I know a hermaphrodite,......

lol.......sure ya do Spinny, we'll believe ya. And I imagine your best friend is an albino dwarf lesbian with tourettes syndrome. You are so worldly :wink:

On a more serious note, those who choose a custom gender will also be allowed to control who sees it. This is a huge deal, particularly for trans, genderqueer, and intersex users who haven't yet come out to everyone.

The introduction of a custom, controllable gender eliminates the workarounds many people in the LGBTQI community employ when navigating their gender presentation online. Many people create alternate profiles under new names to hide their identities from those who might not approve.

Just because someone doesn't like it, or thinks it's OTT, doesn't mean it's not a good thing. And just because you may have "friends" who don't fall under the traditional male/female gender categories, don't assume you know what everyone in that situation thinks.

The way this thread was presented was a bad idea imo.
    chaelk wrote: »
    There is such a thing as too much detail.....

Sometimes this is true but, imo, not in this situation. Let people define their gender as they like....or not use the new gender status if they don't want to.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Okay, gonna close this one down before it gets too out of hand.
    biffsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.