test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The one thing Cryptic does that is very unfair.

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
Hello everyone,

You know what really bugs me? Comparisons. Specifically, comparing Champions Online to other games, and the way it always comes out on top. Hold on officer, don't slap those cuffs on me just yet, let me explain...

So I started playing Elsword. Fun little game, great mechanics, lots of wee! factor. But then when I got my 5th attack power, I discovered that to have more than 4 hotbar slots, I need to buy more in the cash shop. So I said okay whatever, I'll just go earn some cash shop currency by running content... oh wait, they don't let me do that. Well... that game just got significantly less fun didn't it?

That's not the first time that's happened, and I guarantee you it won't be the last. CO has an extremely generous in game currency system, to a degree that when I don't encounter it in other free2play games I go through a moment of shell shock. It's like going to an arcade and discovering that half the machines won't take the type of money you have. It instantly takes anything that was fun about the game and casts it in a dark light.

And darnit Cryptic, that's unfair o3o

funafari_zps8d249b0a.jpg

N...no Sponge Bob... I said... I.... oh nevermind -_-
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

You know what really bugs me? Comparisons. Specifically, comparing Champions Online to other games, and the way it always comes out on top. Hold on officer, don't slap those cuffs on me just yet, let me explain...

So I started playing Elsword. Fun little game, great mechanics, lots of wee! factor. But then when I got my 5th attack power, I discovered that to have more than 4 hotbar slots, I need to buy more in the cash shop. So I said okay whatever, I'll just go earn some cash shop currency by running content... oh wait, they don't let me do that. Well... that game just got significantly less fun didn't it?

That's not the first time that's happened, and I guarantee you it won't be the last. CO has an extremely generous in game currency system, to a degree that when I don't encounter it in other free2play games I go through a moment of shell shock. It's like going to an arcade and discovering that half the machines won't take the type of money you have. It instantly takes anything that was fun about the game and casts it in a dark light.

funafari_zps8d249b0a.jpg

N...no Sponge Bob... I said... I.... oh nevermind -_-

Interesting . . . I try to avoid craptacular free to play games, so I don't need to make such comparisons.

As someone with a lifetime sub, I never really cared about the free to play aspect of this game /shrug.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you want a really good f2p system, check out Star Trek: Online. You pretty much only pay if you feel impatient (or if your time is worth more than minimum wage).
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well Champions was after all originally created by passionate people. What is there at its core is inherently designed purely for fun and easy access to everything it provides. Something that can easily grow into a leading giant in the MMO market as long as it remains in the hands of passionate people who want to design a great game for the sake of it being a great game.

How many of those original devs are working on CO, by the way?
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Buxom:

Unless I am mistaken(entirely possible) the answer is 0-1. Raven "might" be working on CO from time to time. To my knowledge Lordgar and Crush came onto the scene after CO launched. The rest is Radio and his crew of X-Pirates at Cryptic North.

P.S. It might be 0-2 actually since I do recall seeing Drannic on PTS a few times late last year. When CO went live he was a GM(yes yes they did exist, I haz screenies) though and not a dev. Since then he has moved up through the ranks of QA(don't laugh) and is rumored to be a dev not but I'm uncertain as to where he's a dev. Could be CO. <shrugs>
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Looked at the game, had vaguely heard of it in the past, and yuck. typical free to play game. I tend to find free to play games far too expensive. if you want any kind of quality whatsoever, free to play has too many paywalls and content is too irregular to really be worthwhile. I'm even concerned about eq next since they are going fre to play, but yeah, most converted subscription games like co will trounce the hell out of cheap freemos like this one, though the conversion to free to play tends to cause them to degrade drastically over time.. freemos are like cell phone games, in that people who dont usually like to play video games tend to care a great deal more about them you don't get real depth without an expectation of steady income.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    zahinder wrote: »
    If you want a really good f2p system, check out Star Trek: Online. You pretty much only pay if you feel impatient (or if your time is worth more than minimum wage).

What a coincidence. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about ~_^

rianfrost wrote: »
    Looked at the game, had vaguely heard of it in the past, and yuck. typical free to play game. I tend to find free to play games far too expensive. if you want any kind of quality whatsoever, free to play has too many paywalls and content is too irregular to really be worthwhile. I'm even concerned about eq next since they are going fre to play, but yeah, most converted subscription games like co will trounce the hell out of cheap freemos like this one, though the conversion to free to play tends to cause them to degrade drastically over time.. freemos are like cell phone games, in that people who dont usually like to play video games tend to care a great deal more about them you don't get real depth without an expectation of steady income.

Exactly. CO trounces the competition when it comes to actually being free to play... and it's quite unfair, cause a lot of those other games are genuinely fun... right up until you ram into the pay wall.

It's even less fair because the way they do it here, even if I'm a completely unpaid player, I still help contribute to making the company money because whenever I convert questionite into Zen I'm helping to finalize a monetary transaction that another player made. How are other games supposed to compete with that?
    edited February 2014
    Except I think CO has a terrible f2p system, because critical features are sub only of fantastically expensive (particularly freeform).

There are certainly much worse f2p games out there, and maybe STO is impossibly better than most others.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree only partially, while you can play CO and not spend a penny in it if you want to, having freeforms locked out just for paying customers (or a ridiculous price in the Z shop) makes a lot of difference, playing with AT's and with FFs are 2 complete different things, almost like another game altogether.
    Other games charge you for specific expansions, new powers, now zones, but so far I haven't seen another game that locks you out of the real fun that is FFs unless you sub.
    I like the fact that everything CAN be bought with ingame currency though, even if soimetimes it's not worth it.
    I play This game and Neverwinter, and I have to say ins Neverwinter is makes much less difference if you pay or not than it does here. Of course I can't really compare because NW was a free to play game from the beginning, and CO wasn't. Also NW doesn't have a subbing option. But I think that just having *some*AT?s for free players doesn't cut it. Either have ALL at's for free and FFs for paying customers, or ditch the FF system altogether and have some AT's for free and some AT's to be bought, (of course subbed people would get them all)
    natesig.jpg

• ninten92ninten92 Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I agree only partially, while you can play CO and not spend a penny in it if you want to, having freeforms locked out just for paying customers (or a ridiculous price in the Z shop) makes a lot of difference, playing with AT's and with FFs are 2 complete different things, almost like another game altogether.
    Other games charge you for specific expansions, new powers, now zones, but so far I haven't seen another game that locks you out of the real fun that is FFs unless you sub.
    I like the fact that everything CAN be bought with ingame currency though, even if soimetimes it's not worth it.
    I play This game and Neverwinter, and I have to say ins Neverwinter is makes much less difference if you pay or not than it does here. Of course I can't really compare because NW was a free to play game from the beginning, and CO wasn't. Also NW doesn't have a subbing option. But I think that just having *some*AT?s for free players doesn't cut it. Either have ALL at's for free and FFs for paying customers, or ditch the FF system altogether and have some AT's for free and some AT's to be bought, (of course subbed people would get them all)

Really, though, I can't fault Cryptic too much for creating ATs for free to play people. There's variety in character creation, even with the limits of a more restrictive power-set, and, heck, all of them aren't too terrible. (The F2P ones mind you. *Glares at The Savage*) Behemoth is great, Marksman is great, Soldier is tons of fun.

If everything was given out for free, there'd be no incentive to subscribe, meaning no long-term dedicated consumer base. Making all the ATs free would be fantastic, and would work fine, yes, but people will still find some way to criticize things, somehow.

Ditching the FF system is NOT something I'd recommend, even if the intentions behind such an action are good, because of how fantastic it is. I play CO (and subscribe) because of the freedom I have in making a character exactly how I want them to be, right down to each power's advantage, to the power colors, to the fingernail/toenail colors.

I do think having freeforms available at such a high price is kinda... not-good, though. It feels like it was planned just to encourage more people to subscribe, rather than pay a ludicrous amount of money for one character slot.
    Just another average RPer, costume part collector, and tabletop gamer.

Looking for a lore-based Superhero RPSG? Why not http://earth-guard.shivtr.com/
    ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I was under the impression that most of the Devs that had built the engine had left, which is part of why it's so hard to add new things, at least not without breaking others (a frequent problem in STO).

As for this game, i do feel that it has a wonderful free to play model, and the 16000Q a day is a great thing, especially since we only get 8000 as the base in Star trek, and i'm not sure what NW is pulling. The Problem here though, is that everything is way too expensive for how little it's actually worth. What is it, $40 for a single Freeform slot? $12-15 for a single poorly made vehicle? $11.50 for a power tree?

That's entirely way too expensive for how little development this game gets. Granted it has improved slightly under Cryptic North, but when all you're getting is lock boxes and a mission here or there, it's not worth the money, or the time to earn that much Q. I know they explained WHY we're not getting new power sets, but as a superhero MMO, that should be what we get regardless of what's going on. we should be alternating between power sets and missions with costumes in between. As much as i don't like lockboxes, they're not going away, so they might as well just keep doing those as they are.

i feel that even on STO, the F2P model isn't as good even though they have more development to make it worth while, as well as their vehicles being one per character rather than one per purchase. I do feel the ships should be cheaper though if they don't give everyone the faction version though as it seems a bit greedy to charge double for an extra skin for the same vehicle layout.

Neverwinter's model by far just seems like everything i hate about Cryptic's new direction though and it really does seem to "Encourage" you to spend money or time to buy basic things from the cash shop.

Compared to elsewhere, Champions still has a pretty great F2P Model, i just wish the game was getting proper development rather than just a feeling of life support.
    edited February 2014
    I disagree about teh Neverwiner part, I play quite a lot of that game, and I've bought stuff just when I want them, not because I feel I need them. like in CO, everything can be bought with in game currency aswell.
    natesig.jpg

edited February 2014
    Yes, freeform slots take a lot of questionite farming to get.

The difference is, in other games, they wouldn't even give you the option of farming to get it. Compared to that, the price of a FF slot is miniscule.

Even a paying customer doesn't have to pay 50$ if they don't want to.

i just wish the game was getting proper development rather than just a feeling of life support.

Let's try to stay on topic please :3 there's other threads for lamenting the amount of development we're receiving.
    edited February 2014
    No, not being able to have a FF slot in other games, doesn't mean mean the price it has here is reasonable by any amount.

The point is, that unless you're subbed, you're in a big disadvantage against paying customers. And that makes the current system not very fair.
    natesig.jpg

• r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited February 2014
    CO has an extremely generous in game currency system,.....

......-

futuramafry.jpg

Seriously what is the point of all this?
    If you want to spend money so badly then just buy something from the Zen-Store..

I cant believe you are complaining about Cryptic being "generous"...

wow.. just wow...
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    Seriously what is the point of all this?
    If you want to spend money so badly then just buy something from the Zen-Store..

I cant believe you are complaining about Cryptic being "generous"...

wow.. just wow...

Just a little sarcastic joke, yo.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Just a little sarcastic joke, yo.

The thing is not everyone reads this as a joke, and by the title it may looks like a defaming topic towards PWE/Cryptic/CO.

*especially people who may dont speak a good english could misinterprete this thread.

*the creator could have added a line at the bottom that the post is meant to be a joke.
    edited February 2014
    edited February 2014
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYftPXroMl8WZIvRidzURcJCssDG9j0LXjamq83ZF_YM_qXz5n

thats your opionion defending your defaming post...
    edited February 2014
    No, not being able to have a FF slot in other games, doesn't mean mean the price it has here is reasonable by any amount.

It's reasonable because you don't have to pay it with actual cash. It's reasonable because you can pay by playing the game... being paid to play a video game sounds reasonable to me!
    The point is, that unless you're subbed, you're in a big disadvantage against paying customers. And that makes the current system not very fair.

How are they at a disadvantage?

I'm free2play 100% of the way and I have subscribers complaining about me being overpowered compared to them...
    edited February 2014
    edited February 2014

I'm free2play 100% of the way and I have subscribers complaining about me being overpowered compared to them...

That is true, ive seen him on kagami in nemcon runs he did good^^

im also silver user and the only disdvantage is not being able to color my powers :D(( i have silver freeform ))
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I've heard that claim that Freeforms are at some huge advantage in the game. It's behind the old "pay2win" claim. To which I have always responded - win what, exactly? I've saved the world from Therakiel's Apocalypse single-handedly, with a Silver toon (Happifun Security System X-4, an Invincible). I've shut down the gangs in Westside on any number of Silver toons. I don't know of any missions run by Golds that my Silvers can't at least attempt, and they'll succeed at most all of 'em.

So what "advantage" does any given Gold player have over me?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited February 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Yeah, I've heard that claim that Freeforms are at some huge advantage in the game. It's behind the old "pay2win" claim. To which I have always responded - win what, exactly? I've saved the world from Therakiel's Apocalypse single-handedly, with a Silver toon (Happifun Security System X-4, an Invincible). I've shut down the gangs in Westside on any number of Silver toons. I don't know of any missions run by Golds that my Silvers can't at least attempt, and they'll succeed at most all of 'em.

So what "advantage" does any given Gold player have over me?

propably only the 500 zen each month :D and 16k refining :D
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Free character slot for getting a character to 40 ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Free character slot for getting a character to 40 ?

That's the besssssssst.
    biffsig.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Gold is 8k per day, LTS is 16k per day. so no benefit unless you go Lifetime.
    and to get your 500zen per month, you fork out $15.
    How much can you farm on your silver acct? without forking out $15 per month

FF slots
    $15 per month to RENT FF slots
    $50 to BUY one.
    You stop paying rent, you can't use the slots,you buy it. Regardless of what your acct is, you can use it

That is the price difference
    characters ease of leveling?

My FF with no gear had 139 deaths till L40,(that's leveled with no gear, becomes, vehicles or devices)
    My Grimoire At with no gear had 149 deaths till L40. Mainly due to how little healing Vala's light does with base stats.

Hold on officer, don't slap that white coat on me just yet, let me explain...

fixed that for you :biggrin:
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited February 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    Gold is 8k per day, LTS is 16k per day. so no benefit unless you go Lifetime.
    and to get your 500zen per month, you fork out $15.
    How much can you farm on your silver acct? without forking out $15 per month

FF slots
    $15 per month to RENT FF slots
    $50 to BUY one.
    You stop paying rent, you can't use the slots,you buy it. Regardless of what your acct is, you can use it

That is the price difference
    characters ease of leveling?

My FF with no gear had 139 deaths till L40,(that's leveled with no gear, becomes, vehicles or devices)
    My Grimoire At with no gear had 149 deaths till L40. Mainly due to how little healing Vala's light does with base stats.

Hold on officer, don't slap that white coat on me just yet, let me explain...

fixed that for you :biggrin:

Where did you die?

in alerts sometime happens.. but only once in like 15 rounds

i leveled my Grimoire without gear ( only what i get from missions ) with only 3 deaths to lvl 40 on elite difficulity , lvl from 0-23 with mission then on alerts =)
    edited February 2014
    Just throwing this out there so people remember it...

Freeform is not an advantage of being a Gold member. Many silvers have it as well ^_^

Sidenote: People should send Jonsills questionite crates until he has enough zen to buy a freeform slot, that way in 2 years or so he can have the fun of being a level 40 FF :3
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yup, nothing like a business trying to make some money on a product, instead of just giving it all away and then never updating it.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited February 2014

You mean players who make some kind of monetary investment in the game are actually getting advantages, as in something in return for that investment, compared to players who don't pay for anything?

That's just unfair!
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Only when you compare to other games and their dissimilar systems. In Marvel Heroes, for example, money only buys convenience. Everything available in the cash shop can be farmed for (eventually). Gazillion are making all their money on the correct assumption that most players want instant gratification.

CO, being a game that was converted from a sub format to F2P, has gone a different route, one which does inherently create a caste system of haves and have-nots. I don't have a problem with that (being one of the haves), but that doesn't preclude the fact that Cryptic/PWE could have gone with a system more similar to Gaz's.
    edited February 2014
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Yup, nothing like a business trying to make some money on a product, instead of just giving it all away and then never updating it.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say: Auras. Don't worry, Cryptic is putting effort into making money, and at the same time making sure not to compromise their core values or the strong draws their game has :3

Remember, the questionite->zen system is actually making them money. Every time I convert questionite into 100 zen, that's a dollar the company just finalized on ^_^
    helbjorn wrote: »
    Only when you compare to other games and their dissimilar systems. In Marvel Heroes, for example, money only buys convenience. Everything available in the cash shop can be farmed for (eventually). Gazillion are making all their money on the correct assumption that most players want instant gratification.

CO, being a game that was converted from a sub format to F2P, has gone a different route, one which does inherently create a caste system of haves and have-nots. I don't have a problem with that (being one of the haves), but that doesn't preclude the fact that Cryptic/PWE could have gone with a system more similar to Gaz's.

I've never paid. Does that make me one of the have nots? Cause um.... for a have not, I sure have a lot :D
    jennymachx wrote: »
    You mean players who make some kind of monetary investment in the game are actually getting advantages, as in something in return for that investment, compared to players who don't pay for anything?

That's just unfair!

Actually no they're not... unless you consider being able to color your powers to be a strategic advantage o.o (which technically it can be since you might mistake one power for another due to the color)
    edited February 2014
    My problem with locking up FF is not that it's p2w (it somewhat applies to pvp but pvp is utterly messed up anyways), but that FF has a big chunk of what's fun about the game -- making unique and customized characters.

Not letting most f2p players experience that substantially lessens the potential to gain new players, and lowers the retention of established players.

Note that my objection would be mostly eliminated if purchased FF slots included emanations and power coloring. As it is, Silver are always second class citizens.

In another type of game I might feel otherwise. If this were a D&D game, coloring fire attacks would be very much a cosmetic element to the game.

But western supers games are, by history, strongly driven by customization.

• helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've never paid. Does that make me one of the have nots? Cause um.... for a have not, I sure have a lot :D

Compared to having unlimited freeforms? Yeah, you're missing out on a lot. It's great that you're having a worthwhile experience as a Silver, but there's much more to be had from the game.

Considering you admit that you've never paid, I don't believe you have the experience necessary to make a reasoned argument. That's not an insult, just the truth.
    edited February 2014
    Actually no they're not... unless you consider being able to color your powers to be a strategic advantage o.o (which technically it can be since you might mistake one power for another due to the color)

I'm pretty sure you're aware that there's more to it than just power colorization.
    edited February 2014
    Well i as Silver user have a freeform, i can select ANY power a gold user can have... i can use almost ANY item a golduser can use....

Not being Gold means only a few thing for me personally:

i cannot change my power colors or HOW i use them ie. hand , fist , head....

i dont get a retcon token and a free character slots when i hit level 40...

i dont get free costume slots after every 10 levels...

Ok.. is it an disdvantage in PvE? No....in PvP ? No... in RP not even there... maybe it bothers me a but because im stuck with the colors..

But over all i have no disvdantage ...

P.S. but id love to ATLEAST select 1 one color that ALL my powers will use...that would be cool...^^
    edited February 2014
    I'm pretty sure you're aware that there's more to it than just power colorization.

Yes, there's a few costume pieces, and a higher daily questionite refining limit. Those aren't really advantages that paying players have over non-paying ones though, unless you're using a really loose definition of "advantage".

helbjorn wrote: »
    Compared to having unlimited freeforms? Yeah, you're missing out on a lot. It's great that you're having a worthwhile experience as a Silver, but there's much more to be had from the game.

Considering you admit that you've never paid, I don't believe you have the experience necessary to make a reasoned argument. That's not an insult, just the truth.

I can easily imagine what it would be like to have unlimited freeforms. It would be a nightmare... I could barely think up 4 of them, and the 4th one was painful to drag through the leveling process yet again, and despite having only 4 Freeform characters, I don't even actively use all of my freeforms. Also keep in mind, that even with 1 Freeform Slot, a player does in fact have unlimited freeforms... all they have to do is delete/retcon that freeform, and make a new one; using that method, a free player can effectively play all potential builds available in the game.

Face it, the "much more to be had from the game" you're referring to boils down to power colors, a few costume pieces, and a higher daily refining limit. Everything else can be acquired without paying.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    yeah Freeform on demand is the advantage. not entirely but it is a lot easier to create freeforms when you don't have to fork over 1,000,000 q or 50 bucks for it each time.

ill admit, one thing that i think this thread illustrates is how different this game looks when you run expectations from a free to play mindset from a pay mindset. I dont play free games, because they are significantly lower quality, so looking at this game from the perspective of games I played were sub based and had a much higher expectation of quality, so how "free to play" a game is is only a negative for me, because it shows how little i can actually expect in terms of content and quality. I lifetimed a long time ago, but if not i would have subbed, because I would never put up with the grind hell of questionite farming. its worth the past investment to me to be able to log in and do whatever i want with no requirement to grind out a few missions that, while fun at times, i can ignore when im not in the mood. plus, the stipend makes the c store stuff effectively free, and with last yeah and a half's drought of content, i have stacks of paper.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    Where did you die?

in alerts sometime happens.. but only once in like 15 rounds

i leveled my Grimoire without gear ( only what i get from missions that's still gear) with only 3 deaths to lvl 40 on elite difficulity , lvl from 0-23 with mission then on alerts =)

when I say no gear, I mean NO gear. At all.
    NO primaries,
    No secondaries.
    Nothing

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=250401

I was using a heck of a lot of healing drinks.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited February 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    when I say no gear, I mean NO gear. At all.
    NO primaries,
    No secondaries.
    Nothing

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=250401

I was using a heck of a lot of healing drinks.

Oh i thought we speak of normal players who join the game as silvers using only what they get for free oO
    edited February 2014
    Yes, there's a few costume pieces, and a higher daily questionite refining limit. Those aren't really advantages that paying players have over non-paying ones though, unless you're using a really loose definition of "advantage".

Freeform is definitely one. Removal of the global cap is also one. Having more than 2 character slots too. An extra 2 inventory slots is also nice.

It's not just about "strategic" advantages as you put it.
    Face it, the "much more to be had from the game" you're referring to boils down to power colors, a few costume pieces, and a higher daily refining limit. Everything else can be acquired without paying.

If there certain aspects of subscription that a player feels enhances their gameplay experience significantly then yes, "much more to be had from the game" certainly applies here.
    edited February 2014
    Freeform is definitely one. Removal of the global cap is also one. Having more than 2 character slots too. An extra 2 inventory slots is also nice.

It's not just about "strategic" advantages as you put it.

If there certain aspects of subscription that a player feels enhances their gameplay experience significantly then yes, "much more to be had from the game" certainly applies here.

Freeform is not an advantage exclusive to paying players, and hasn't been for a while.
    Having more character slots is not an advantage exclusive to paying players, and hasn't been since the game went F2P.

What you are describing are conveniences, not advantages. Having no global cap does not give anyone an advantage over me. Yes, subscribers get more conveniences than non-subscribers, which is exactly as it should be.

The "much more" however, isn't very much at all. It would be more correct to say "there are a few things you can access only by paying, but the vast majority of the game's features can be accessed without ever spending any money; spending money simply gets those features to you faster"
    gradii wrote: »
    Jenny is right, its more a matter of perspective and opinion. if you feel the benefits of a subscription are worth it, and can afford it, then by all means.

if not then no reason to sub anyway if it doesn't matter to you.

Nobody was arguing whether subbing was worth it or not.
    edited February 2014
    Freeform is not an advantage exclusive to paying players, and hasn't been for a while.
    Having more character slots is not an advantage exclusive to paying players, and hasn't been since the game went F2P.

What you are describing are conveniences, not advantages. Having no global cap does not give anyone an advantage over me. Yes, subscribers get more conveniences than non-subscribers, which is exactly as it should be.

The "much more" however, isn't very much at all. It would be more correct to say "there are a few things you can access only by paying, but the vast majority of the game's features can be accessed without ever spending any money; spending money simply gets those features to you faster"

I wasn't talking about advantages over other people. I was talking about advantages as general benefits to the individual that come with paying for them.
    edited February 2014
    I wasn't talking about advantages over other people. I was talking about advantages as general benefits to the individual that come with paying for them.

Ah I see, the problem then is that you lost the context of the conversation. To refresh your memory, this is the comment that lead to this entire line of debate:
    No, not being able to have a FF slot in other games, doesn't mean mean the price it has here is reasonable by any amount. The point is, that unless you're subbed, you're in a big disadvantage against paying customers. And that makes the current system not very fair.

It specifically states "a big disadvantage against paying customers".
    edited February 2014
    It specifically states "a big disadvantage against paying customers".

Does it truly matter if it's perceived as a personal advantage exclusively gotten by going gold, or feeling that they're at a disadvantage as a comparison to gold players who have those benefits?

This is an argument of semantics at this point. The bottom line is that yes, it shouldn't be considered unfair when you feel you're being short-changed if you don't go gold as opposed to staying silver. That's the point of the system. You get what you pay for.
  • citizenstrangercitizenstranger Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hello everyone,

From a F2P standpoint, yes, Champions is okay. Sure, there are better models out there, such as STO or even Rift (by far one of the best F2P offerings), but you have to also bear in mind that unlike some of the craptastic F2P games out there that push hard as heck to nickle and dime you, such as the one you mentioned, or even Neverwinter, CO was originally designed with the subscription in mind.

In that regard, its transition to F2P wasn't too bad. At least it isn't SWTOR F2P.

That said, though, it'd also be fair to compare the subscription side of CO: what you get for a subscription, and the amount of updates the game gets as a subscription. In that regard, even when you compare it to other subscription/F2P offerings out there (so, we remove WoW from the equation), and even look to Rift or DCUO to name a quick two, Champions falls way behind and becomes less of a comparison value.

So, if we look at your post as well as my opinion of the subscription side, are we saying that Champions Online is okay to play for free when compared to other free games, but not worth subscribing to when compared to other subscription games?