test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Weekly Costume Contest Schedule

p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
edited November 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
Hello, folks! As you probably know, one of the more popular events in CO are Costume Contests. The question asked most often is usually along the lines of "When are they held?". With that in mind, I've set to posting the schedule here for easy perusal.

Please note: this schedule is tentative and is based on my current knowledge as of 1/8/2015. I'll change the schedule here if/when I receive new information.

Without further ado, the schedule, organized by date and time! All times are Server Time unless otherwise noted.

Monday
Volt's CC @8:30PM

Tuesday
Completely open!

Wednesday
Conquer @6:30PM

Thursday
SODLAG @7:00PM
Bluhman's CC @8:00PM

Friday
DD Brigade @ 6:30PM
Irmandade das Sombras @7:30PM
MC Radio @ 8:30PM
Red Academy @ 9:30PM

Saturday
Whisper @ 2:00PM
Bloodline of Shadows @ 3:00PM
Team-Up Beatdown @ 4:00PM
Flawless @ 7:00PM
Rhone's CC @ 8:00PM

Sunday
Patriot Act Alliance @ 4:30PM
Conquer @ 6:30PM
Smorf @ 8:30PM

Special event(s)!

Blood Oath Honor Bound Costume Contest @4pm 1st of the month.

BOHB PVP tournament @5PM every second Monday
Patriot Act Alliance on the 4th of each month at 10:00PM.

SV CC: Last Thursday of the month at 5:00pm

Patriot Act Alliance: 4th of every month at 9:30PM

Be sure to join the "Contests-Central" channel to get up to the minute costume contest info, as well as help with your costume if you need it!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
[thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
Post edited by p0temk1n on

Comments

• forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I approve and request a sticky. 8P
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ditto. :D

lol we shoulda had this thread years ago. ... But then again, it'd be frozen, since we can't edit old posts from before the changeover. So, nevermind.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    One of the mods/staffmembers/whatevers said they were going to start (or thinking about starting) something like this a few months back...:rolleyes: It was hailed by MANY as a good idea, and something that was definitely worth doing for the benefit of the playerbase. And, as is rapidly becoming the norm, they didn't deliver the goods. Thumbs WAY up to you, OP, for taking the initiative. :biggrin: (I'm serious. Good work! Like the wiki, it seems that the best CO resources are the ones NOT produced by the 'pros'.)

ETA: I second the request for sticky-hood, and I don't even participate in costume contests. :cool:
    edited July 2012
    One of the mods/staffmembers/whatevers said they were going to start (or thinking about starting) something like this a few months back...:rolleyes: It was hailed by MANY as a good idea, and something that was definitely worth doing for the benefit of the playerbase. And, as is rapidly becoming the norm, they didn't deliver the goods. Thumbs WAY up to you, OP, for taking the initiative. :biggrin: (I'm serious. Good work! Like the wiki, it seems that the best CO resources are the ones NOT produced by the 'pros'.)

ETA: I second the request for sticky-hood, and I don't even participate in costume contests. :cool:
    Stormshade said this. A couple thought it was a good idea myself included, a couple thought it was just to keep us happy in light of the ridiculous amount of harassment CC goers were experiencing at the time.

So far, nothing has been done.

voos2b.jpg
    edited July 2012
    Stormshade said this. A couple thought it was a good idea myself included, a couple thought it was just to keep us happy in light of the ridiculous amount of harassment CC goers were experiencing at the time.

So far, nothing has been done.

And, as this thread half-proves, nothing WILL be done unless the players do it. Too bad "we" can't access the game-sourcecode, or somebody would already have the chat-ban problem solved, The Foundry implemented, and probably have dealt with other longstanding problems too. :rolleyes:
  • benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    /signed for sticky.

Keep in mind, this schedule is also available in game to anybody subscribed to the contests channel, its the MOTD.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
    edited July 2012
    ~bump bump... bump it up!~ (I'm doing my "civic duty", and trying to keep this useful info on the front page of the forum it's posted in. :biggrin: )
  • emliquidemliquid Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm new and never been to a costume contest. Thanks for the info!
    edited July 2012
    Rebumping this. Seriously guys.... This falls into the category of "Information that a section of the playerbase would like to be able to find easily". Why is it seemingly so hard to get it stickied?:confused:
    edited July 2012
    I'm bumping this one because it should be stickied.

Maybe though, it should be moved to the General Gameplay topic? For said sticking?

voos2b.jpg
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited July 2012
    Will look into stickying it, whether it would bump off anything that's a higher priority. I do really like this idea, though, and I hope to have time to drop in on one of these at some point! :D
  • angelofcaineangelofcaine Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm bumping this one because it should be stickied.
    Maybe though, it should be moved to the General Gameplay topic? For said sticking?
    Will look into stickying it, whether it would bump off anything that's a higher priority.
    I do really like this idea, though, and I hope to have time to drop in on one of these at some point!
    If you're worried about taking up room in the "General Gameplay" thread, unsticky THIS thread when you move/sticky this one there.
    It's been updated, moved, and stickied into the "Builds & Roles" section and is now outdated and redundant :wink:
    Oh, PSST!
    @forutnefire, when you going to update THIS?
    __________________________________________________O.P.T.I.O.N.S.
    | ME | A "Guide" Book" | | I, have a "DREAM! | ( Member since Feb 2008 ) ... ?
    [SIGPIC]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/AngelOfCaine/STILLS/Misc/CO-Sig_01e.png[/SIGPIC]
    Were there any specific reason for that personal attack other than that your opinion differs from mine?
    edited July 2012
    Congrats on the sticky! As I update this in the Contests channel, I'll send you a message to edit it in here as well as the date.

voos2b.jpg
  • p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Holy carp, it got stickied. :biggrin:

I'll do my best to keep this up-to-date as the schedule changes. Thanks for the support, everyone!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • bjoernrbjoernr Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    i would love to see the costume catogeries
    edited August 2012
    bjoernr wrote: »
    i would love to see the costume catogeries

Each SG or individual who hosts often changes their categories for different kinds of costume contests. If you want to know the categories, better be on when then announce beforehand. :tongue:

voos2b.jpg
    edited August 2012
    Gratz to all the winners in the Sparxflies costume contest today! Thanks for hosting, Zera and Kizoku, seemed like people really had fun.
  • thereldinthereldin Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As suggested, I'm tossing up CORP's big anniversary celebration for the liissst!

Our big costume contest happens on September 15th at 1PM server.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Forgive the necro (does that even count for stickies?). Are these still going on? I showed up Tuesday at 8 pm server time in the Theater to watch, but there was no one there but me, a tiny RP group over in the corner and a few others that looked like they were doing the same thing I was.

Haz I made a newb mistake about place and time?
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As far as necroing, don't worry about it, cause I'm pretty sure it doesn't count with stickies.

And as far as the scheduling goes, it should still be fairly up to date (I believe the ARC tuesday CC just happened to be canceled this week, but they were there last night as far as I know).

The best way to keep up to date with costume contests is probably to join the "Contests" chat channel. Most folks tend to announce their contests there (and in zone chat in MC).

Also, once you join Contests, if you right click on the chat tabs to bring up chat options, then go over to the "Channels" tab in the options, you can hover over the contests channel to get the message of the day, which lists a schedule of current contests.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, I haven't gotten around to that yet, so I will. I was wondering if I just got Murphied into a one-off "not there", and it appears so.

Thanks! I'll give it a try another night (a night-shifter, I'm usually sleeping during those times, so I have to wait for one of my days off)
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As far as necroing, don't worry about it, cause I'm pretty sure it doesn't count with stickies.

Yes. Also, people whining about thread necro are annoying, far moreso than the person bumping the thread. It's not a thread necro if it's still relevant & currently applicable. Irrelevant, highly-outdated topics being bumped, those are necro-ing, and it never applies to a stickied topic by definition.

And as far as the scheduling goes, it should still be fairly up to date (I believe the ARC tuesday CC just happened to be canceled this week, but they were there last night as far as I know).

The best way to keep up to date with costume contests is probably to join the "Contests" chat channel. Most folks tend to announce their contests there (and in zone chat in MC).

Also, once you join Contests, if you right click on the chat tabs to bring up chat options, then go over to the "Channels" tab in the options, you can hover over the contests channel to get the message of the day, which lists a schedule of current contests.

Great advice! *thumbs up* Let's hope others see it too
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Yes. Also, people whining about thread necro are annoying, far moreso than the person bumping the thread. It's not a thread necro if it's still relevant & currently applicable. Irrelevant, highly-outdated topics being bumped, those are necro-ing, and it never applies to a stickied topic by definition.

Thank goodness the actual rules outweigh terrible opinions.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited January 2013
    A notification to all, due to administration issues the Contests channel is in the process of moving to our new home called "Contests-Central" where all our contests needs will be helped from here on out.

The "should we move?" to "naming the channel" phase has been happening for all of January in an attempt to get as many people informed as possible. If you know someone who is not informed, please inform them so I can stop using the word informed.

"Contests" will be shut down to aid in the transfer on Feb 1st, 2013 so get into that new channel a.s.a.p.!

voos2b.jpg
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Grah, sorry i havent been on for so long to host, recently my computer has had something wrong with it and had to take it to the technitian.. i'll be back by next week (hopefully). :biggrin:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just bumped into this thread now...

Irmandade das Sombras is misspelled... :biggrin:
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
    edited March 2013
    I'll let Strax know, he needs to update too--though work has been butt kicking lately and he hasn't been on.

voos2b.jpg
  • grimcatnipgrimcatnip Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The schedule has changed. Red Academy I believe are after us on Sunday's now at 7:30pm. SoH I think moved theirs to an earlier time in the days.
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So this contest lets us win those giant character lockboxes?

Well in the spirit of City of Heroes I guess I'll attend.
    edited March 2013
    tfavsb10 wrote: »
    So this contest lets us win those giant character lockboxes?

Someone may choose to offer those as prizes, but usually the prizes are gold instead. The lockboxes are usually gained as loot. :smile:
    edited March 2013
    Someone may choose to offer those as prizes, but usually the prizes are gold instead. The lockboxes are usually gained as loot. :smile:

hahaha, gold.

global resources

voos2b.jpg
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'd like to say, without calling names, that it's a very crappy thing to do to advertise false costume contests for the sake of being a troll.

A few people got word of one at 0600 server time and went in, only to find out it was a troll posting a 'gag' costume contest that wasn't taking place.

I dug into my inventory, found three items that were ok, and gave them out as prizes after I judged myself. I'm not gloating, I just felt bad about it.

If you guys see this happening, take note of the person's name and make sure when they advertise again, you let everyone else know.
    edited June 2013
    If this person was advertising in Contest-Central, give me their @handle and I will talk to them. Also, if you have SS of him false advertising, I'd like that too. I can boot them from the channel if I have hard proof.

That bs doesn't fly in my channel.

EDIT: As much as I hate to do this, p0temk1n hasn't been on in forever due to work so this thread is incredibly out of date. TT, could you take it down so we don't mislead people? If anyone likes, I'll post a thread up here with the actual schedule and make sure it stays up to date.

voos2b.jpg
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It was advertised in Zone. I'll see if I still have his name.
  • p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm pleased to report that I've returned after an unplanned haitus because of RL issues. I'll ensure this thread gets updated regularly again!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    p0temk1n wrote: »
    I'm pleased to report that I've returned after an unplanned haitus because of RL issues. I'll ensure this thread gets updated regularly again!

Welcome back and thanks to you and all the Costume Contest Hosts and Contestants.

It's a lot of fun. The new categories have been interesting and so have the entries.

This whole thing really sharpens my creative edge, and that's the ultimate prize.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • acaloyteofmarvelacaloyteofmarvel Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So, I've been playing CO for some time now (But less than a year), and in all the Costume Contests I have been in (which are numerous) I am seeing a disturbing trend. It seems that some people win consistantly, and in costumes that seem to have nothing to do with the contest theme. On the occasions that other people do win, it seems to be due to the judges or sponsor changing.

I have seen CCs announced, and, like several other people, I go running off to design a costume that fits the announced requisites, and lo and behold, the same people win, consistantly, whether the costume they wear is themed or not.

I call favoritism.

Oh, I have recieved a few Honorable Mentions, or taken a few miniscule prizes for something , I thought (and I know it's all subjective) was great, original, and unique, but the prizes were hardly worth the effort.

At some point, I will host an event (eventually, when the prizes are worthy of the work people nvest in their character designs) and will attempt to be impartial, and have judges that are of a like mind, but until that happy day, I beg of you that are running CCs to look at what people have to work with (silver or Gold) and if the costume fits the character type.

Sure, some CCs are themed (most are), but when I hear (as an example) "Elemental types" I get excited, but then the CC turns out to be about "Pokemon" instead...and only the insiders are aware (and by insiders, I mean those that win consistantly), while the rest of us are saying "WTF is goin on?"...then I get irate, and others do as well. We are cheated, regularly, and yes, I know I could just not enter, or just not attend, but if no one raises objections, then nothing will be done.

So, instead of griping, I am offering Solutions.
    A: IF you are hosting an event (In this case, a CC) then DON'T change it up to suit your friends.
    B: Once you decide to host, then make sure you have prizes worthy of the event. I am sorry, but 8G is not a prize, it's an insult. A Cosmic Key, however, is a prize worth striving for.
    C: Be impartial. Seeing the same people win, over and over, is not impartiality, it is favoritism, and I have seen excellent costumes go unrewarded so someone in the know gets a prize, and the awesome costume gets shelved, or the person who designed it is so disinchanted they never come back.

Thanks for the soapbox.
  • jonandre1jonandre1 Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    First of all, that impact font isn't very readable. Please just use the basic font.

Favoritism has always been an accusation thrown around by the losers. We had that on City of Heroes too. There's a few things that could be done to avoid the accusations, but it's always going to happen.

I'd like to see a basic rule followed: Once you win a group's CC, you're automatically ineligible to win the next... say, three CCs held by that group. That way, at least the winner changes hands.

Also, Cosmic Keys? Really? They cost money, you know. At least that's the most common way people obtain them. If you don't like Globals as the prize for a CC, don't enter, shut your yap and play the game. Earn your own Globals for your own CC.

You can always ask the judges what their criteria for awarding the prize is. If they don't give you an answer that satisfies you, point that out to them. Might be that they're really not the kind of people whose CCs you want to enter. Might be that they are, in fact, indulging in favoritism.

But really, it just comes down to what people like. A CC is a very subjective thing, and peoples' likes and dislikes can change according to their moods. Sometimes it's a crapshoot. I've won CCs with very unimaginative costumes, and I've put hours into a costume only to get passed up for the person who created a nude girl with big boobies. What Ya Gonna Do.
    So, I've been playing CO for some time now (But less than a year), and in all the Costume Contests I have been in (which are numerous) I am seeing a disturbing trend. It seems that some people win consistantly, and in costumes that seem to have nothing to do with the contest theme. On the occasions that other people do win, it seems to be due to the judges or sponsor changing.

I have seen CCs announced, and, like several other people, I go running off to design a costume that fits the announced requisites, and lo and behold, the same people win, consistantly, whether the costume they wear is themed or not.

I call favoritism.

Oh, I have recieved a few Honorable Mentions, or taken a few miniscule prizes for something , I thought (and I know it's all subjective) was great, original, and unique, but the prizes were hardly worth the effort.

At some point, I will host an event (eventually, when the prizes are worthy of the work people nvest in their character designs) and will attempt to be impartial, and have judges that are of a like mind, but until that happy day, I beg of you that are running CCs to look at what people have to work with (silver or Gold) and if the costume fits the character type.

Sure, some CCs are themed (most are), but when I hear (as an example) "Elemental types" I get excited, but then the CC turns out to be about "Pokemon" instead...and only the insiders are aware (and by insiders, I mean those that win consistantly), while the rest of us are saying "WTF is goin on?"...then I get irate, and others do as well. We are cheated, regularly, and yes, I know I could just not enter, or just not attend, but if no one raises objections, then nothing will be done.

So, instead of griping, I am offering Solutions.
    A: IF you are hosting an event (In this case, a CC) then DON'T change it up to suit your friends.
    B: Once you decide to host, then make sure you have prizes worthy of the event. I am sorry, but 8G is not a prize, it's an insult. A Cosmic Key, however, is a prize worth striving for.
    C: Be impartial. Seeing the same people win, over and over, is not impartiality, it is favoritism, and I have seen excellent costumes go unrewarded so someone in the know gets a prize, and the awesome costume gets shelved, or the person who designed it is so disinchanted they never come back.

Thanks for the soapbox.

First off, I'm sorry you had a bad experience at one of the CCs.

Those who are avid CC goers know the reason behind your confusion. Let me explain, many of us in the CC community are close friends. We help each other with outfits, provide feedback, and so forth. Just because one of our friends wins, doesn't mean there is favoritism going on. I'm not naive and wil say that no favoritism ever happens in game, but I can say that to all the CCs from hosts I've been to, listed on the C-C Channel's list, I have not encountered any favoritism.

CCs, by their nature, are a little bit biased. Hosts are looking for clever or the best representation of their categories or themes. Since everyoneis tastes are different, it makes sense that people will judge differently. Thatis the fun of competing. Never go to a CC expecting to win. Go to a CC to have fun competing. If you win, great! If not, at least you had fun doing so. If you really have a problem with one of the winners, wait patiently after the contest is over and courteously PM the host about it. Donit say, "wtf was up with that guy who won ___?" Say something more along the lines of "I was curious if you could explain the judge's reasoning behind _____ ?' I would certainly answer the latter if it was asked of me.

Your point about the winnings urked me a bit. I've been hosting for over 3 years in this game. I'm a full time student and have 2 part time jobs. I don't have time to grind for the Gs necessary to keep up weekly contests anymore (lucky I have a lot saved up). You should understand that the contest you're competing in is not yours. It's the host's. It is for you, yes, but it's not yours. The host is the grand pooba here and to be receiving any sort of prize whatsoever should be accepted generously. They put the time and effort to simply give away what they earned, and that deserves some respect. Some days I'll hand out 10g for a prize. Other days it'll be 250g. Keep in mind that many people host weekly and want to disperse their items/Gs so that they can host and provide a fun community event for as long as possible, I know I do. Trying obtaining 200G a week and still play the game. It's tough!

If you're still adamant about the favoritism thing, I offer you to help me judge at my next contest. I'll explain how I judge and would be eager to hear your input. My sole purpose in this game is to have fun and if those I'm hosting for aren't, then I want to fix the problem--whatever it is.

voos2b.jpg
  • hexsinghexsing Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'll say this. I have participated in many of the evening CC's, and While I am not one ot complain, it really is the same people who win over and over, and not even following theme. I have seen the honourable mentions be given to people who usually win, but didn't win the last time...nor did they fit with the themes.

There is a specific SG that always seems very well represented as well.

No I am not crying fowl, I have just stopper participating. It's not that I think my costume is any better or any worse, but I will say that I have seen people who look time, effort and did an amazing job on their themes.

Overall, my advice is just to skip the CO costume contests altogether. This is not Virtue CoX, this is it's own beast.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old time member. I miss NERF :eek:
    edited July 2013
    hexsing wrote: »
    I'll say this. I have participated in many of the evening CC's, and While I am not one ot complain, it really is the same people who win over and over, and not even following theme. I have seen the honourable mentions be given to people who usually win, but didn't win the last time...nor did they fit with the themes.

There is a specific SG that always seems very well represented as well.

No I am not crying fowl, I have just stopper participating. It's not that I think my costume is any better or any worse, but I will say that I have seen people who look time, effort and did an amazing job on their themes.

Overall, my advice is just to skip the CO costume contests altogether. This is not Virtue CoX, this is it's own beast.

I'm sorry you also feel this way but the reasoning is described in my previous post. I offer you the same opportunity to help me judge so you can see how the majority of judging is done. (please not that for the dozens of people I've offered this to, only 2 or so actually took me up on it and both agreed that I judged fairly. I wish more would volunteer)

For everyone reading this, please note that myself and many of those I judge with refuse to choose people with anything else in mind other than costume creativity. We won't chose someone who didn't follow the theme or whatnot over someone who did simply because they don't win as much. That's not fair to those who do put hours into their outfits.

voos2b.jpg
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I would like to add, that certain names do pop up in contests more than others for a few different reasons:

1) Completely different themes hosted by the same SG. Most SGs have different judges with different tastes from week to week, so if a look fits the theme that they like then that character is a winner. Every CC is considered separate from previous ones in the same day and from week to week.

2) There are a few familiar faces that attend a majority of contests. This is due to their love of costuming and wanting to compete. This by no means says that they are automatic winners, but if you attend more CCs the odds increase that you will win.

3) There are several SGs that have many members attend on a regular basis. Again it's just mathematical odds that someone and on occasion several members of the same SG will win.

This by no means says that there's any plotting or favoritism in contests, it's just simple odds. My suggestion is akin to Fortunefire's... ask hosts what you they are looking for in particular categories if the info provided isn't clear enough for you. Also I highly recommend talking privately to the judges or host or even the winners after the CC for an opinion on a particular look. You'll find that many are helpful in giving constructive criticism on looks or advice in general.

As a host I admit it is really hard to narrow down picks to just one per category sometimes, it's why we add honorable mentions as well as multiple places. I can't tell you how many times I've been approached after hosting and asked by someone who was "this" close to winning. So to wrap up my mini novel, keep at it! Sometimes it takes a bit of patience before you win, sometimes you get lucky and win for a look. Either way, it's a great community to be a part of and make friends!!!
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I know what it feels like to loose over and over again in Costume Contests. Yes there will be people that you dont like the tastes of which you find out after the CC. I for one consider the following criteria when judging to make things as fair as possible.

1) How closely does the costume match the category?
    2) How creative is it? is it unique?
    3) Has this person won previous CC's with us?
    4) Is this person gold/silver? Why should we consider it?

When i am judging alone or with friends, i usually tell the judges to consider these few points if i wish to oppose their pick(s). I also realize a lot of CC's are fairly opinion based.

Remember we're humans, not robots.

We by all means as hosts try to make things are fair as possible but again we all have tastes and we do what we can to balance the odds. Usually if i spot something such as favoritism or something suspicious, i'll ask the host nicely why they decided to pick that particular person to win.

For those that think the prizes aren't worth their time to win.. consider this..
    -How much time do they get to play Champions Online on a day to day or weekly basis?
    -how busy are they? Do they have other priorities?
    -Are they gold/silver?
    -Are they working alongside an Sg or hosting solo?

If you can at least consider this.. then you may change your mind about the prizes not being worthy to win. Winning in itself is something to be proud of, having a prize is just a way for people to get up there and join in. People work hard to pitch in their effort for funding a CC, i myself find it hard to fund a CC as i go solo every week (or used to). Sometimes i used to spend days just grinding for the CC as i have little time to actually play CO. Some people may be in the same situation or worse as i am that are hosting..
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
    edited July 2013
    lilsteffie wrote: »
    1) How closely does the costume match the category?
    2) How creative is it? is it unique?
    3) Has this person won previous CC's with us?
    4) Is this person gold/silver? Why should we consider it?

When i am judging alone or with friends, i usually tell the judges to consider these few points if i wish to oppose their pick(s). I also realize a lot of CC's are fairly opinion based.

Not sure why silver/gold status or previous wins should influence who wins? Everyone has access either with Zen or not to the same costumes. Additionally, CCs should be individual events. Just because someone won my last CC, doesn't make them ineligible to win my next one. What if their outfit for the new category was the most creative in that group?

I might have read you wrong though. lol it's late.

voos2b.jpg
  • grengrasgrengras Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    We all know that there are times when you look at a declared winner and just have to question what the hell that judge was thinking. But honestly it really is their preference coming into play and not some kind of a fix.

Besides there is something you should remember... When they are the ones fronting the prizes they have the right to reward it to whoever they want. If they have a category for 'Scariest' costume they have the right to award it to someone that looks like they wouldn't harm a fly even if you have a costume that has blood dripping off your claws and the ability to kill people just by blinking.

If you disagree with the judges on these contests, go take the time to get some prize money or items together and then host your own contest. We could always use more contests to have fun at. Just be aware that soon it will be your own contest that is going to have people complaining about losing.

But just because you or anyone else loses a contest, even to someone who looks kind of lame for the category in question, do not think it is rigged. Just shrug it off as a personal preference and move on. No matter how well designed your costume is you could go to dozens or even hundreds of contests without winning.

On a personal note, I've been to hundreds of contests, only won once and gotten a few second places or honorable mentions. And, yet when outside of contests I will regularly have random people send me a tell complimenting on this or that alt's costume. The same costumes which get passed over when judged.

Tough luck for me, the people doing the complimenting weren't the judge on that particular night, or there was simply another person there that would've gotten even better compliments. The truth is that with any decent sized crowd the average person will almost never see a win. If this is your experience too just shrug it off and realize that there is more fun to be had here than just by winning.

Then admittedly there is the flipside, people who win these contests on their very first attempt, or who seem to be able to win semi regularly without even really trying. Big deal, get over it. Either they just made a better costume than you on that particular day, or they simply fit better the preference of that particular judge. As has been suggested before, ask the preference of that judge. If you really care about winning that might give you a bit of an edge.

Hell, as I mentioned before for most of the CC participants it isn't even about winning. I, for one, only go to contests so I can see all of the other costumes. And I have seen people walk out of contests in protest en masse skipping their chances of winning just because they felt that the fun of the event was being infringed upon. These contests are more of a way to hang out and blow away some steam than they are about prizes or personal fame and glory.

If you are honestly joining these contests just for prizes and not to have fun, then it is my personal opinion that you are wasting your time. And no matter how often you will win you will always stress yourelf out without reason and the 'lost time' will get to you. Learn to enjoy them like the rest of us do and you'll find the whole experience much more enjoyable.

In other words and in a summary, which would have saved me from having to spend all that time typing something most people won't be bothered to read, I will close with a quotation.

"Don't worry, be happy."
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    grengras wrote: »

"Don't worry, be happy."

I personally would of ended with, "and that's my momma!"
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited January 2014
    Since we dont have a weekly shedule im not sure if im allowed to post it in the stickied thread?!

We will be hosting a Costume contest at:

Saturday, 18. January 2014, 13:00 (( 1:00PM))(Los Angeles time)( Server Time )!!!

Categories will be:

Scifi-Futuristic , Creatures , Living Artwork , Nostalgic and DUO

- Scifi-Futuristic: you should know what this means ^^

- Creatures: anything.. animals , aliens, monsters , plants, demons and yeah...

- Living Artwork: can be anything ART related...

- Nostalgic: From greek over Viktorian age to egypt or stuff like this, maybe 20s,,30s,40s ++ whatever is nostalgic ^^

- DUO: this is like Superhero and Sidekick , Villain and Right Hand , Twins, or even couples .. i think you know what i mean ^^

Auras, Devices an Powers are allowed.

Costume Switch will be allowed for DUO category after the Judges picked their Votes on the single categories !

Prizes will be 50G for every Winner ( DUO gets 50 g Each player )

Contest Countdown:

Click here to see how long until the contest starts.
  • captaincasauboncaptaincasaubon Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would like to have our SG Weekly CC added to the schedule please.

SG is Modus Illuminati

Time is 2 PM ST on Sundays.

We are starting simple, as our attendance and bank roll grows, so will the complexity of the contests.

Thanks in advance

~ Craftsman@Casaubon "The Chief" Modus Illuminati SG Leader
    Play Hard!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@Casaubon ~
    edited February 2014
    I would like to have our SG Weekly CC added to the schedule please.

SG is Modus Illuminati

Time is 2 PM ST on Sundays.

We are starting simple, as our attendance and bank roll grows, so will the complexity of the contests.

Thanks in advance

~ Craftsman@Casaubon "The Chief" Modus Illuminati SG Leader

I'll update the one on the MotD in the Contest-Central channel when I get in game later tonight.

voos2b.jpg
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    p0temk1n wrote: »

Tuesday
    Society of Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen @ 6:30PM, 3rd week of each month

This seems to have been accidentally removed from the in-game MOTD. Can one of the admins put it back in, please. If you need a contact then you can add @Liath and/or @milleniumguardian next to it :smile:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods