test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Costume (Re)Design Thread

arclightearclighte Posts: 43 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Costumes and Concepts
This is something we had over on CoH and I looked back a few pages but didn't find anything similar - basically just post a costume that you need help with, hope people respond, and try to do the same for others who are stuck :)

This is my main toon, Dancefloor. I really like the patterns and colors, but I feel like the costume doesn't "pop" enough - it's really flat. I've been playing around with jackets and chest wear but haven't had much success, any ideas? I'm going for a silver age look hence the simplicity but still feel it could use some layering.
Post edited by arclighte on

Comments

• themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    arclighte wrote: »
    This is my main toon, Dancefloor. I really like the patterns and colors, but I feel like the costume doesn't "pop" enough - it's really flat. I've been playing around with jackets and chest wear but haven't had much success, any ideas? I'm going for a silver age look hence the simplicity but still feel it could use some layering.

Could you give us a bit more information regarding her concept/theme/powers/etc so we can get more of a feel for her ?

I like her name:smile:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • braxzanabraxzana Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Depending on HOW flashy you want to go, there are some "sparkly" costume bit unlocks you can get as anniversary gifts (I was throwing them away I had so many so they should not be hard to find).

They're not practical for a fighting superhero, but I love putting earrrings, necklaces, and bracelets on my heroines. One of the slanted / sloped belts might give a casual look that would look nice, and I think one of those even has an insignia belt buckle so you could put something in there that fit the character (not sure if there is a disco ball icon ;>)...

Another option, if you have it, is the SpaceSuit from the Retro Sci Fi pack, I think it was... the chest and legs options look all shiny and sparkly but may be too sci-fi and not enough dancefloor.

For 'layers' you might consider the 90s jacket --- sort of a mini-jacket with sleeves rolled up. I got the 90s pack, but I think you can get the individual pieces from recognition vendors.

It's not really a 'layer' per se, but you could use boots (and/or gloves) with the Folded look to them... there is the actual Folded option, or there are some nice Golden Age ankle boots with a folded flap on top that I like.... CO is down for maintenance at the moment, or I could tinker more.

EDIT: Quick-and-dirty attempt (if I can remember how to get links to work) ---

Dancefloor
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    If you'd like a complete set of the Anniversary sparkly gear, let me know - I can mail it to you in-game. Got a full set last year, and this year I equipped my emergency backup Silver account (the one I use to prove what can be done without spending a dime on the game), so now I've got a bunch of pieces just knocking around...

(BTW, if you'd like a Heavy Taiha, basically a South Pacific club for a Heavy Weapons user, I've got one or two of those too, and can get more - they're thick on the ground on Monster Island.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I feel like just slapping a jacket on her will have a hell of an impact. Maybe one of the off-kilter belts that hangs off the waist? Yeah, bit of a Rogue nod. But in your case, I feel like it'll give it just that little pop of detail.

I'll save this and fire up the creator in a bit. edit: Think you can give us the comic page image from your /live/screenshots folder? I can't alt tab, so I'd do better if I could just save that and edit you directly.

Also, hahaha now I know who you are on the forums! *stalk*
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • tharkantharkan Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This is something we had over on CoH and I looked back a few pages but didn't find anything similar - basically just post a costume that you need help with, hope people respond, and try to do the same for others who are stuck :)

God, I just LOVED this thread back in the COH forums, but I could never post on it because I was not a subscriber.
    I am glad that this thread FINALLY made it over here. Hopefully it will receive the same love and attention (and post count) as the original.
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Had a quick play about while I was at the tailor. Not quite where you were at with design but it might give you some ideas.

Dancefloor

You should hopefully be able to save this down to your /Live/screenshots folder and then load it in the Costume Editor to check out. If not give me a shout and I will create a zipped version (in case Photobucket has done anything to the embedded game info).
  • arclightearclighte Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks guys! I'll play around with the jackets more.

@zenith: she is a Kylie Minogue/Dazzler homage - hence the mask ;) - a light-controlling, stylish and slightly stupid mutant.

ETA: I found my comic book screenshots, I don't know if this is how I should upload them though:
    Base Costume
    Experiment (LOVE this top half, not too hot on the bottom)

I'm aiming for something that's a good balance of superheroic and stylish, like these, where it sort of looks like a uniform but has some flair and looks iconic:
    Pixie
    Songbird
    Invisible Woman
    edited September 2012
    @zenith: she is a Kylie Minogue/Dazzler homage - hence the mask ;) - a light-controlling, stylish and slightly stupid mutant.
    Ah, then the '90s Jacket would be appropriate for her - Dazzler used to rock one of those, back in the day. The small wrapped belt, too (forget what it's called in the Tailor). Rogue actually used that silly look with two or three belts, all of which were much bigger than her waist.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• sircupcake60sircupcake60 Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Okay I would like a redesign on my pirate parrot costume.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99041794

Name: Scourge
    Nickname: Scourge Of The Seven Sea's
    Powers: Flight, and Earth control

Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvZjnXNC8Zk&feature=relmfu

I would love to see what costume ideas you guys can come up with him. :smile:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • braxzanabraxzana Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Dang, sircupcake, what could we possibly come up with that's better than THAT!!? :D That's a GREAT look! :)

Only thing that even MIGHT be considered would be a peg leg (or two) and/or a hook on a hand... but that might be overkill. Looks quite nice the way it is.
    edited September 2012
    There are also the bracers that look like wings, but I don't know if you can use those while wearing a jacket :/
  • alfinpogformalfinpogform Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So here's something I'm working on, trying to nail down the look. The character was an Ouroboros Mender back in CoH, basically an agent who fixes problems with time. I'm trying to stick with a similar look here while adding a bit of new flair. Planning on going with some electrical powers, hence the wrist mounted blasters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/Dom/Costume_Zandock_NoName_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_402324967.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Okay got character I need Redesigning on. http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/920116836044663945/2C3AB69F1CBFBE55B97442A14BAC46E34A0A8335/

That's right I need help making this character. . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYh0kc8KyGc Pika Girl :rolleyes:

Anyone willing to take crack on this one?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    So here's something I'm working on, trying to nail down the look. The character was an Ouroboros Mender back in CoH, basically an agent who fixes problems with time. I'm trying to stick with a similar look here while adding a bit of new flair. Planning on going with some electrical powers, hence the wrist mounted blasters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v414/Dom/Costume_Zandock_NoName_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_402324967.jpg

As for this one, I think you got it pretty well. :biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gilly44gilly44 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Okay got character I need Redesigning on. http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/920116836044663945/2C3AB69F1CBFBE55B97442A14BAC46E34A0A8335/

That's right I need help making this character. . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYh0kc8KyGc Pika Girl :rolleyes:

Anyone willing to take crack on this one?
    What about this? :)
    Pika Girl
    edited October 2012
    gilly44 wrote: »
    What about this? :)
    Pika Girl

Gilly designs Pika girl, It's Super effective :eek: !

Will defiantly redesign my pika girl with this look! :biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    alrighty, I was hoping this thread would catch on but it never did so I am going to bump it with another plea for help :D

Dancefloor, the character I posted in the OP, has since been reimagined as Strobe. Her costumes are pretty obvious (imo) Emma Frost homages, but where Frost's costumes are always imposing, striking and sexy, I feel like mine is a little too blank. Any ideas on how I could make her stand out a little more without losing the general aesthetic (sleek, nothing too attention-grabbing - almost looks more like fashion than a superhero costume - at least that is what I aimed for >_<)
    edited February 2014
    That's a pretty nice Emma-style look you have going on there. I'd recommend changing the mask for one of the smaller ones - there's a thin mask, vaguely similar to the one Black Cat wears in Marvel Comics, whose name escapes me, but it looks pretty good on Finesse (below), and I think it'd go well with Strobe as well.

Finesse_zps3f7fc78f.png
    (Not the latest design - now he's rocking a black and yellow look, rather than blue and yellow. Quite striking, really.)

Other than that, I dunno - maybe try a shade or two lighter on the blue? Then again, maybe not...

• robothenrirobothenri Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    alrighty, I was hoping this thread would catch on but it never did so I am going to bump it with another plea for help :D

Dancefloor, the character I posted in the OP, has since been reimagined as Strobe. Her costumes are pretty obvious (imo) Emma Frost homages, but where Frost's costumes are always imposing, striking and sexy, I feel like mine is a little too blank. Any ideas on how I could make her stand out a little more without losing the general aesthetic (sleek, nothing too attention-grabbing - almost looks more like fashion than a superhero costume - at least that is what I aimed for >_<)

Hey Arclighte, I was also a big fan of this thread over at CoH so thought i'd add some momentum to this one :)

So, a costume for Strobe. I've kind of concentrated on the 'more fashion than superhero costume' idea, and so kept the hands bare and added clothing as opposed to the full bodysuit, with a bit of a nod towards red carpet fashion with the revealing tights underneath. It may have lost it's sleek feel there though, you'll have to see how you feel about that. Also, with the mask, I've opted for a fashion visor thing. I noticed you had her eye's glowing white, her light powers I presume, so kept with that with the glow through the visor. Hope it gives you some ideas anyway :).

Strobe.jpg

costume file (I hope...) th_Costume_Strobe001.jpg

My stuff at deviantart
  • oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Alright so... you want to look more sexy, intimidating, regal?

Here is what I came up with:

Strobe_zps004e603e.png

First off the hair. The messy long hair you have now tends to suggest freedom, wildness. And while that can be sexy and intimidating in its own way, I think a neater hairstyle better portrays a cool, detached, haughty look.

Paler skin helps create greater contrast in the costume, and also suggests someone with the wealth and attitude to spend most of their time indoors.

The small cape and fur shoulders helps evoke the image of a queen, while simultaneously making her shoulders look bigger for a more intimidating figure without actually changing her figure at all.

The corset suggests older times and rich, powerful people. Moreover the corset, thigh-high heeled boots and the lacy stockings peeking over them suggests an image of a dominatrix, making it look both sexy and intimidating.
    edited February 2014
    ooh thank you all so much, that's given me heaps of ideas :-) now hopefully other people will use this thread as well......
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm in a creative rut.

I have a character named Klonk. He looks like this:
    a81XnSh.png
    This facial design and his proportions are set in stone. However, he needs an occupation.
    Costume_Bluhman_Klonk_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_445495964_zps2c5f02af.jpg
    I would greatly appreciate it if you could design an outfit for him. Anything goes - you could make him a caveman, you could make him a shaolin monk, you could make him a hero in tights, anything you want. From there I hopefully can come up with an appropriate build and powerset theme for him.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hmm... Well, the first things that popped into my mind was 'boxer' and 'mobster.'

Klonk_zpsaf5c1f9d.png
  • benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    oniganon wrote: »
    Hmm... Well, the first things that popped into my mind was 'boxer' and 'mobster.'

Klonk_zpsaf5c1f9d.png

The boxer needs more Santa gloves.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
  • chemkchemk Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bluhman wrote: »
    I'm in a creative rut.

I have a character named Klonk. He looks like this:
    a81XnSh.png.

He looks like a Muppet!
    Tjim6oX.png
    edited February 2014
    oniganon wrote: »

Good work! Though, one of the things that Klonk sort of was before I decided to try and retcon him was a boxer, in fact. The robe look is neat, though. Really the only issue I have is that both Might (esp. Defense Combo centric) and Munitions builds are really dull to me.

The mobster one I actually might follow, though. Particularly if I can set up an effective knockback-based build with both range and melee components.

• superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Interesting thread.

I have a design I need some ideas for. I do not have access to the costume file, so I'll limit myself to a screenshot, but as you can see below it is not a complex one.

This is Frostfire a hero based around Rimefire Blast, and has a fire&ice theme.

I wanted to avoid the "elemental" theme using the Rock set, so I settled for a hero in tights with a '80s feel. I really like how the gloves/boots turned out together with the asymetry tights creating a subtle alternation of red and blu on the white background.

However, I do not like too much the glowing shoulder pads. Also the Tao symbol is fitting from a symbolic point of view, but I do not like the looks of it on a western hero in tights.

Any suggestions?

Frostfire_zps2b95fd3c.jpg

• superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    HEre is the costume file in case anyone wants to try his hand at it:

Costume_Alfgorn_Frostfire_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_446284269_zps626aaa70.jpg

• bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi, guys!

I have a character that looks great with the Aspect of the Infernal aura. Problem is, this is one of those auras that's still attached to its power, so when I change to Concentration, say, I lose the aura. What could I get that's like it?

Here's the character with her Infernal aura:

katie_jones_toxic_form_zps12f87d89.jpg
    edited February 2014
    The closest I can think of is Way of the Warrior. Problem is, that's only on the upper body.

Something like Kinetic Manipulation aura might be serviceable in full-body coverage, but it lacks the roughness featured on the infernal aura. It looks less like fire/gas and more like generic aura thing.

I'd say to take a close look at the aura vendors, as they slowly cycle through all the auras you can get. Also good to note is that they go through said auras in alphabetical order.

• bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bluhman wrote: »
    I'd say to take a close look at the aura vendors, as they slowly cycle through all the auras you can get. Also good to note is that they go through said auras in alphabetical order.

Hey, cool. If I go to the aura vendor, I wonder if I'll see a crowd standing around watching the auras cycle?

Maybe I can find something different, maybe one of the fiery ones?

But I've gotten awfully vain about that Infernal aura--I don't have a screenshot but let me add it looks awfully darned good with Epidemic, as well. I may end up designing the character around Aspect of the Infernal just so I can keep it. It's not a terrible ability to have to design around, but I wonder why this particular aura is still affiliated with its power?

EDIT: I found a great youtube video that runs through all the auras in 4:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weQktalfxuU. First the legacy ones, in alphabetic order, then the new ones. It's quite cool -- the other online aura previews take 20 minutes and have a lot of chatting.

I'm thinking Seraphim, Shadow Form, or Stormbringer might do the job if appropriately colored.
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    Interesting thread.

I have a design I need some ideas for. I do not have access to the costume file, so I'll limit myself to a screenshot, but as you can see below it is not a complex one.

This is Frostfire a hero based around Rimefire Blast, and has a fire&ice theme.

I wanted to avoid the "elemental" theme using the Rock set, so I settled for a hero in tights with a '80s feel. I really like how the gloves/boots turned out together with the asymetry tights creating a subtle alternation of red and blu on the white background.

However, I do not like too much the glowing shoulder pads. Also the Tao symbol is fitting from a symbolic point of view, but I do not like the looks of it on a western hero in tights.

Any suggestions?

Frostfire_zps2b95fd3c.jpg
    Costume_ZamuelNow_Frostfire_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_493852043.jpg

Pretty sure this is way after the fact but not only is the basic concept of the thread worthy of a bump, I think these changes might be a good exercise in simplicity.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
    Someone asked me for help in-game and I'm simply posting the results here so I can point them to the exact costume file.

"Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • maatmonsmaatmons Posts: 346 Arc User1
    It looks nice, but I've never been a fan of symbols on the inside of capes. How about using the snowflake just for the outside, and doing solid white with light blue trim on the inside? I recommend the chainmail pattern, since it has a nice, narrow, border. Just make both colors of the actual chainmail part of it the same, so it looks like a solid field.
    Good points. Decided to make those changes, especially since he seems to want to go a different way with the outfit so I'll probably keep the revised version of this for myself.

-Sterga