test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CO: A Realm Reborn

twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
Not saying that something similar to what Square did with their latest MMO would be needed in a certain superhero game. But if it did happen with a more intuitive interface like what they have in NWO instead of the common WoW power tray, I think that I would get behind it.

Comments

• towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Bring the game offline for many many months while the devs toil to remake it from the ground up? Sure. I'm a lifer, I can wait.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's not like the players playing now wouldn't come back on day one.

Sure, they'll complain. But they'll complain about a unicorn that farts gold if they had one.
    you really think cryptic/pwe would do something like that? look at how minimal development this game has gotten, instead of making a new game how about cryptic puts forth the funding to get this game to where it should be.
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes I do. I am absolutely naive about Cryptic's development and the amount of resources they spend on Champions Online and think they would do this and I in no way brought it up because I would like it to happen
    Gets my vote...BUT..Square Enix and Cryptic are totally different animals . Square Enix actually cares about the game that made them famous. If you accept that CoX and CO are stable buddies Cryptic have not shown and do not show any love for those game/games.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No, I don't think we need to bring the game offline to do a full revamp in the style of Square Enix. Square Enix did it with their MMO because it had lots of issues from day one and was tanking. They needed to call a mulligan and try again. CO, on the other hand, hasn't tanked.

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind seeing improvements to CO, just that we don't need something quite so drastic.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    No, I don't think we need to bring the game offline to do a full revamp in the style of Square Enix. Square Enix did it with their MMO because it had lots of issues from day one and was tanking. They needed to call a mulligan and try again. CO, on the other hand, hasn't tanked.

I'm not saying I wouldn't mind seeing improvements to CO, just that we don't need something quite so drastic.

But Cryptic giving a crap about CO might alter the timeline in drastic ways. Look what happened in Mortal Kombat 9 when Cage DIDN'T die.... everyone else did. Take that analogy and apply it to CO and this will happen.

The sun will turn inside out, gerbils will eat themselves and Square Enix will finally ditch that Lightning tool and get around to that FF VII remake.

The universe wont be able to take all the random and will end up in rehab right next to Miley Cyrus.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You know, if the game were to be recoded from line 10, there would be no need to bring this one down - presumably, after all, any sections they wanted to use could be copied into the new code. Instead, if they were to do that, it would be easier to do it along the lines of the creation of NW - a "secret project" that drains devs from existing games, because they're busy with the brand-new code.

Hey, you don't suppose....

:biggrin:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wouldn't this combat system and streamline power selection system be pretty much what we get with DCUO? If so, it really doesn't make sense to have the two major supers MMO systems be so similar.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Neverwinter and DCUO do not have the same combat /power selections system.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    Neverwinter and DCUO do not have the same combat /power selections system.

They're closer than NWO and CO.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not really. Neverwinter is pretty much the same as CO's combat but with soft target lock, a dodge / sprint / block button, and less skills on the hotbar. Powers are all still click to use.

DCUO is about using combos to pull off moves. You don't have any kind of hotbar, it's you either know the combo to use the moves you unlock or you don't.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Jonsills:
    Yeah, I've thought several times that I'd be relieved if it turned out that the minimal dev efforts were due to them secretly developing CO2.

That would be awesome... alas, not very likely.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think the others have a point that it doesn't make sense to overhaul CO when it's already been established for years and making moderate money. The FF MMO had a false start, this one just never got polished enough and is now starting to show it's age.

I wouldn't mind a sequel MMO based on champions and the latest Cryptic engine that somehow let us transfer over characters (to an extent, I'd imagine there's be different powersets and mechanics) and had a foundry.
  • stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    zahinder wrote: »
    Jonsills:
    Yeah, I've thought several times that I'd be relieved if it turned out that the minimal dev efforts were due to them secretly developing CO2.

That would be awesome... alas, not very likely.

That's my new dream for CO. It used to be "maybe they're secretly making a foundry" now it's "maybe they're secretly making a sequel."

One can hope! I'm really good at being irrational. :3
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think the others have a point that it doesn't make sense to overhaul CO when it's already been established for years and making moderate money.

This is exactly why I say it would be a bad idea to shutdown CO for an overhaul. CO is currently good on the money it brings in (as confirmed by TT on more than one occasion). Shutting CO down would mean no money coming in.

I'd rather see small steps of improvement rather than one very risky leap of faith.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kallethen wrote: »
    This is exactly why I say it would be a bad idea to shutdown CO for an overhaul. CO is currently good on the money it brings in (as confirmed by TT on more than one occasion). Shutting CO down would mean no money coming in.

I'd rather see small steps of improvement rather than one very risky leap of faith.
    "good" is kind of a subjective thing. with no new zones for years, a last year that was disastrous for any reasonable expectation of content and a few minimal powers, the game is bringing in enough money to keep it alive and on life support. id believe the intent of the threat is to bluesky a idea of this game as being actually cared about by cryptic. Will it happen, no, it doesn't matter enough to cryptic to warrant that kind of committment but its sometimes nice to imagine this game getting regular updates and content.
    sterga wrote: »
    DCUO is about using combos to pull off moves. You don't have any kind of hotbar, it's you either know the combo to use the moves you unlock or you don't.
    you have a hotbar, its really tiny and only holds 6 powers, one consumable and a "trinket" but yeah, you have a hotbar per role, so a nature character will have a damage hotbar and a healing hotbar, though you can put whatever you want on them, and only one is active at a time.

I still think if co played like dcou, there would still be enough differentiation between the games to justify each existing. dcou has a miniscule costume creator that co destroys, and dc has villains and the dc licensed characters.
  • akirasanbeerakirasanbeer Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What ironic timing; just started checking ARR! Square also had the right idea of making Hulk/She-Hulk a race...