What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How the devs communicate and who with.

Comments

• Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If you squint your eyes and tilt your head to the left a little, you can actually see the butthurt in this post.

Did somebody say "butt?"
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    so do I, I have no desire to have anything to do with forumites channel. at this point its far better to start an alt channel, maybe encourage the devs to pop in now and then to get some variety in player opinion.

No one's stopping ya.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    helbjorn wrote: »
    The channel was originally created by Angel as a way for "the Clique" to communicate in-game without interference from the rest of the rabble.

It has never, by any means, been a "Forumite" channel.

And you are free to make your own free for all "Forumite"channel. The game has option for people to make channels of their own and invite or not who ever they like.
    Since that is not the issue of this thread.
    And you've well known of your issues about "the Clique".
    You're kind of amusing that way.
    If you squint your eyes and tilt your head to the left a little, you can actually see the butthurt in this post
    It's not really butthurt.
    That's the state he allways is.
    so do I, I have no desire to have anything to do with forumites channel. at this point its far better to start an alt channel, maybe encourage the devs to pop in now and then to get some variety in player opinion.

Good thing you got over it.
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    In the words of Groucho Marx, "I would never belong to any club that would have me as a member." :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Being completely unknown helps too I hear. So... good luck working all that together.

No need.... :tongue:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited January 2014
    I'd like to step in briefly and reiterate what was said earlier -- that, although devs drop by Forumites, it's not the only place we go.

One of the earlier posts mentioned that one of the big things devs get from Forumites is bug reports. This is an especially good example, because as a former QA guy, I know how important a good bug report is to identifying the root issue. A lot of bug reports are vague, making it harder for us to reproduce them, or report bugs that aren't actually issues. (Working As Designed is the term usually used for these.)

A lot of the Forumites are good at finding bugs and explaining repro steps, and they know the game pretty intricately. So I know if one of them reports something, it's a) definitely a real bug, and b) they can explain how to reproduce it.

Forumites are far from the only people who I know this about -- I've got a raft of players who, if they come to me about a problem, it gets my full attention -- but there are a number of them in one channel, so it's easy to work with them on issues. It's not anything intrinsic or exclusionary, and I extend the same attention to anyone I know is on the ball.

Similarly, I reach out to a ton of channels when I need a hand with something: The folks in CoX, especially, are great at helping out with PTS playtests. If you want to be part of the hardcore, it's not about what channel you're a part of, it's about showing you know the game and are ready to help out. Don't feel like you need to audition for a channel, or something like that.

Also, at the risk of a tangent -- what do people think of the Arc incentive? Are the titles a good draw? We thought they'd be popular, but I'd like to hear your opinions.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Also, at the risk of a tangent -- what do people think of the Arc incentive? Are the titles a good draw? We thought they'd be popular, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Well considering the fact that I've wanted "The" for a title literally for years, I was quite excited for it and grabbed them right away. :biggrin:
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like the launcher I have. I'm pretty sure if I install Arc and there are problems with it I won't be able to reinstall the old launcher. I'm willing to wait a year to see if there are bugs in the new one and if they get fixed right away.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    -snip-

They (the CO and STO goodies) got me to actually install and utilize Arc this one time, though I'd prefer that future "incentives" aren't attached to ridiculous launcher-launching programs. Doesn't PWE have enough gimmicks at their disposal already?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,077 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    *snip*

EVERYTHING he said here!

Variety of sources. Quality and reliability of feedback. These usually get their attention.

I usually just "listen" when they are "there." Occasionally, I toss some feedback in.

Mostly, I'm just so happy they are communicating, which means LISTENING and offering cogent replies.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The titles didn't sucker me in - the costume pieces did that - but I am kind of hoping that I get to see Caliga in game with the title "Lord"... :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd like to step in briefly and reiterate what was said earlier -- that, although devs drop by Forumites, it's not the only place we go.

One of the earlier posts mentioned that one of the big things devs get from Forumites is bug reports. This is an especially good example, because as a former QA guy, I know how important a good bug report is to identifying the root issue. A lot of bug reports are vague, making it harder for us to reproduce them, or report bugs that aren't actually issues. (Working As Designed is the term usually used for these.)

A lot of the Forumites are good at finding bugs and explaining repro steps, and they know the game pretty intricately. So I know if one of them reports something, it's a) definitely a real bug, and b) they can explain how to reproduce it.

Speaking as a (non-Cryptic) developer, I can attest that the better the bug report, the better and faster we can deliver a fix. (I remember an old BeOS newsletter that had a wonderful example of the worst kind of tech support/bug request: "I can't print!" That email is long gone. I should Google it sometime.)

I'm tempted to make a character named "Ohio State University" now, just so I can use "The".
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Well, I installed ARC, claimed my free crap and will never use it again except to claim free stuff for CO. I have Steam, why would I use ARC?

If the intent is to get me to use it in place of Steam, not gonna happen. If ARC is a super secret program meant to turn my computer into a slave for some sort of Internet take over, grats, you've sucker me into installing.

PS: Every thread ever ends up running off onto a tangent, so it's expected at some point.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    PS: Every thread ever ends up running off onto a tangent, so it's expected at some point.
    Heck, I'm surprised it's made it seven pages in without going completely off the rails.

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Heck, I'm surprised it's made it seven pages in without going completely off the rails.

I cast Planeswalk to enter the Plane of Force....now I'm going to cast Gate and open a gate to the plane of Void...
    -a'choo!-

Free stuff always gets me to do things.
  • Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like the titles, they might seem simple but they are flexible and add a little splash to your character's name when people see you walk around without being esoteric like some of the other titles.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Forumites are far from the only people who I know this about -- I've got a raft of players who, if they come to me about a problem, it gets my full attention -- but there are a number of them in one channel, so it's easy to work with them on issues. It's not anything intrinsic or exclusionary, and I extend the same attention to anyone I know is on the ball.

Similarly, I reach out to a ton of channels when I need a hand with something: The folks in CoX, especially, are great at helping out with PTS playtests. If you want to be part of the hardcore, it's not about what channel you're a part of, it's about showing you know the game and are ready to help out. Don't feel like you need to audition for a channel, or something like that.

Thanks for the info TT:smile: Concerning the claim (now removed) on that other thread....I see now the real truth behind it. The members of the Forumites channel that have posted here to give their opinion have impressed me with their sincerity (after an initial rage attack by one person, of course:wink:)

The titles are great....the vast majority of folks in our SG love them, myself included. Now I can be "Lady" Britannia:smile:

As we are already off-topic (and why not, the matter is closed imo), it seems like the last patch broke the third colour for the victorian dress costume part.....any chance of fixing that in the next patch? There is a thread about it in the Gameplay Bugs section of these forums.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree, it's nice to hear from the insiders themselves (and I mean the actual Forumites channel members, not them being insiders to info) and also from TT.

The perks from arc are neat, just make sure that you fix the info on how to accurately obtain the rewards, it's causing some confusion for players.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I think it's a fair incentive.

But nothing beats my kissable title :tongue:

XOXOXO
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited January 2014

While it is nice to see the 'incentive' and its good to know that CO was able to make it onto this list.

It looks like CO once again got the short end of the deal. STO got a new costume, CO gets costume pieces that golds have had access to for quite some time now. Though the titles are nice.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    draogn wrote: »
    STO got a new costume, CO gets costume pieces that golds have had access to for quite some time now.

True this.....daddy doesn't love us any more:frown:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    True this.....daddy doesn't love us any more:frown:

Any more? I'm not sure if they ever did, rather then fixing the so called 'tech issues', among other excuses, the keep pushing it as the reason why we can't get the same amount of content added to CO as the other two games seem to be getting.

While things have gotten better, albeit very slowly, they still don't have the same level of communication here as they do for the other two games.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Tangents.gif

The titles are nice, and I don't have redeemed villain.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Tangents.gif

The titles are nice, and I don't have redeemed villain.

Are you sure? The redeemed villain is the Teleoclone armor from integrated armor. I've had it for some time. It's one of the packs gold/lts members get for free. At least I thought it was.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Are you sure? The redeemed villain is the Teleoclone armor from integrated armor. I've had it for some time. It's one of the packs gold/lts members get for free. At least I thought it was.
    Redeemed Villain also includes things like the Grondling head, the various gang outfits from Westside, and I think a few other pieces.

Meanwhile, the "new costume" for STO consists of a shirt, a pair of pants visually indistinguishable from most others, an admittedly cool pair of boots, a head scarf/metal mask combo, and Khan's Space Mullet. And it's only available in the Off-Duty Uniform section, so if you want your crew to actually look anything like you, too bad - Bridge Officers can only wear what's in the Uniform section, not Off-Duty.

No, I got a lot more costumes from CO than STO. (BTW, there's also a bunch of hats, and the Halloween Webs costume bits too. Three minipacks of costume parts, plus the titles. Worth a lot more to me than the ability to look like yet another Khan wannabe running around ESD.)

• Options
    edited January 2014
    True as a silver member, these sets would be something you may not have. However as a gold or LTS member, these sets are already free. That is besides the point, the point is STO's set is new where the only thing new for CO are the titles.
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the three sets given away are not "free" to LTS/Subs as part of their unlocked sets. They have to be purchased same as any other premium set. If this is purchased with stipend still doesnt make it "free" in my book. So good show Cryptic/PWE.

regarding theirs being new.. and ours not. does it matter? play both games and you get it all. there is no either or. play other PWE games and you are even better off.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,091 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2014
    I'm enjoying the 'The' title quite a bit.
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Titles we want?

hmm..... I wouldn't mind having "dat" as a title.

dat Flare...
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    eiledon wrote: »
    the three sets given away are not "free" to LTS/Subs as part of their unlocked sets. They have to be purchased same as any other premium set. If this is purchased with stipend still doesnt make it "free" in my book. So good show Cryptic/PWE.

regarding theirs being new.. and ours not. does it matter? play both games and you get it all. there is no either or. play other PWE games and you are even better off.

When I highlight the redeemed, the Halloween webs, and the hats and heads pieces in game it says that As a Gold member I already have access to these items. All the costumes I've had to purchase, say purchased next to them.

So I think you might be mistaken on those.

I have no interest in playing PW's other games, but my opinion of those other games isn't important for the CO forums. What is important is you also have missed the point.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    When I highlight the redeemed, the Halloween webs, and the hats and heads pieces in game it says that As a Gold member I already have access to these items. All the costumes I've had to purchase, say purchased next to them.

I have no interest in playing PW's other games, but my opinion of those other games isn't important for the CO forums. What is important is you also have missed the point.

The Power Armour bundle set also says 'As a gold member you already have access'...Except you don't since you have to buy the Holohex armour set.

Lifetimer here. All three sets were new for me, since I spend my stipend on other shtuff and have been grinding for these pieces instead.

Let's be realistic here, the games buggy. Things show up as what they are not. It says the Halloween webs are free for gold on my end, but the other two are purchased. Sooo...I'ma say thanks anyways.

Titles are nice, simple ones but, good ones. I've already used The and Dr. to my hearts content.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The Power Armour bundle set also says 'As a gold member you already have access'...Except you don't since you have to buy the Holohex armour set.

Lifetimer here. All three sets were new for me, since I spend my stipend on other shtuff and have been grinding for these pieces instead.

Let's be realistic here, the games buggy. Things show up as what they are not. It says the Halloween webs are free for gold on my end, but the other two are purchased. Sooo...I'ma say thanks anyways.

Titles are nice, simple ones but, good ones. I've already used The and Dr. to my hearts content.

Former gold member turned silver. I have the Halloween web and redeemed villain sets because I purchased them while gold, they weren't taken away once I became silver like the other sets. They are not free to gold members as well as LTS.

I agree it could be a bug in the store, I'm sure not the only one too.

I like the titles and getting three sets for free (even if I will only get one that I didn't have already) and will most likely install arc to get them, even if I don't use them right away, its the completionist in me :P
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Lifetimer since day -3, and I didn't own the Redeemed Villain or Hats & Heads packs. The costumes don't show up in my tailor, they don't say Free For Gold or Unlocked in the store.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited January 2014
    Titles we want?

hmm..... I wouldn't mind having "dat" as a title.

dat Flare...

... I want this for April Fool's.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    titles
    Who? (nobody knows you and you have to keep telling them)

What? (they just can't believe you are called that)

Altaholic (come on, you said you'd get it for us)

Not really (for impersonators)

Clone of (just to confuse people)
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    edited January 2014
    is "Big" a title yet?

how about "Little"?

or maybe "The Most Of All The Things" :D
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ...Also, at the risk of a tangent -- what do people think of the Arc incentive? Are the titles a good draw? We thought they'd be popular, but I'd like to hear your opinions.
    No. The CO titles and costume pieces offered were not a good enough draw for me to install Arc.

I did install Arc, but did so for the STO incentives. STO gave us a NEW and EXCLUSIVE costume set to look like Khan (from the movie: Star Trek: Wrath of Khan). The costume was high quality with neat new accessories and items, and all the pieces can be used on any faction or gender captain.

Compare to the CO incentives? The costume pieces offered I already had because I'm a Gold Member. The titles are charming, I suppose, but meh. I've already got hundreds of titles that I don't use, so a few more wouldn't matter.

Since I had Arc installed I did go ahead and claim my CO rewards (the titles), but they along were not enough of a draw.
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Being an active player and a long-term vet helps. Most of the Forumites have been here since Day 1. :cool:
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Being completely unknown helps too I hear. So... good luck working all that together.
    The only "bias" is how well you get along with people in there. You're much likelier to become a member if you play nice on the forums, that's all.

Getting in can be tough especially if there's one or two people who don't like you. You can simply be kept out by one or two members who don't even know you and won't take the extra step to council with other members who do know you personally to make a better decision.
    *snip*

However, the Forumite channel members essentially look out for the community as a whole. So I trust them to help get things done.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Getting in can be tough especially if there's one or two people who don't like you. You can simply be kept out by one or two members who don't even know you and won't take the extra step to council with other members who do know you personally to make a better decision.

I personally think that the method is too strict, but I'm in no position to change that. People that don't know you keeping you out though? I don't think that's ever been a problem. People who don't know someone who's being voted on tend to just not respond, and that doesn't count against someone's membership. But yes, just one person doesn't like you, and you're not in. :\
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Promise me you guys light candles and do shadowy things in this secret forumite society.
  • Options
    quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm just glad I don't have to worry about metering my expression because some sensitive forumite might get offended. I'm sure that ship has sailed long, long ago. :wink:
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Promise me you guys light candles and do shadowy things in this secret forumite society.

Smacky occasionally posts some weird jibberish followed by, "praise be unto the Necrolord"

Most of us pay it no mind.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I hear that they sometimes gather in the Foundry near the Magic library.
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    titles
    Who? (nobody knows you and you have to keep telling them)

What? (they just can't believe you are called that)

Altaholic (come on, you said you'd get it for us)

Not really (for impersonators)

Clone of (just to confuse people)

Altaholic, yes... That was over a year ago (01-16-2013, 01:54 PM)
    agentx5 wrote:
    I have a request for this topic:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...d.php?t=204381

Can we please grant some sort of forum title to the members of this list?
    Would you please consider sticking this topic somewhere in the forums so it doesn't keep sinking?

1. I like this idea. Do people want the title "Altaholic"?
    2. I'm not sure General Gameplay is the spot for that thread... is there a better subforum you can think of?

For me other good titles include things like:

King, Queen, Lord, Lady, Master, Mistress.

They have huge application potential for many characters, especially for those roleplayers out there.
    I personally think that the method is too strict, but I'm in no position to change that. People that don't know you keeping you out though? I don't think that's ever been a problem. People who don't know someone who's being voted on tend to just not respond, and that doesn't count against someone's membership. But yes, just one person doesn't like you, and you're not in. :\

Yep.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

How big of a problem is inbreeding in your closed off mountain community? :o

Ref: Nepht
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Judging from my /played statistic, they probably need to add a "Needs a Life" title. :)
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm afraid I cannot agree with that assessment. people's views on what is best for the community vary greatly. hence the need for alternate channels. with less stupid rules.

Or the forums?? Ya know... where anyone can talk??
    EU5doX8.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    Or the forums?? Ya know... where anyone can talk??
    What are you trying to do here, be reasonable or something??

This discussion has been closed.