test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Single Blade Really needs some love, also fewer ninjas

blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Suggestions Box
I was recently testing Single blade to figure out why Cut where it counts wasn't applying properly. That meant hundreds of Reaper's Caress Combos, many Swallowtail cut activations, and for funzies a few Reapers Embraces. With that I have some observations, and suggestions from those observations.

Also we need more non-ninja powers in the Martial art's framework. Moving on:

1. Reaper's Caress would be a close contender to Shred, but it's bleed chance is far too anemic. When I play my bestial character I can expect more than one bleed per activation. With applying bleeds with Reaper's Caress, that was a rarity.

Shredd has a 25/25/50 or 50/50/100 percent chance to apply bleed, depending on enrage. This means that if you are enraged you have a 75% chance to apply more than one bleed. With Reaper's Carress, you have a 72% chance to apply only one bleed per combo.

So you have almost the same odds to apply one bleed with Reapers Carress combo as you would have to apply more than one with shred. That seems skewed.

Suggestion:

Reduce the chance to apply bleed on the last hit to 50%, and give both tics of the finisher a chance to bleed. Then double the chance to bleed when the character is Focused. So the chance would become 15/15/50/50 or 30/30/100/100

With the doubling of the chance being tied to focus, this would not have any effect on UR builds. As it would still be less likely than Shred, w/enraged, to apply more than one bleed, and would not make Reapers Carress the more potent choice with AotB. However, when focused it would have an exceptional bleed rate.

2. I believe Swallowtail cut should be a separate entity from bleed vs all ranks of enemies. Currently it applies a normal bleed to high ranked enemies. Instead I feel it should apply the swallowtail cut bleed, but only deal normal bleed damage, against high rank foes, allowing for the extra rupture you can only get against low rank enemies currently.

3. Less ninja stuff! Shuriken are cool, but they really don't fit on characters that may use the dark ages fantasy blade, for example. Add a throwing dagger click attack, as a non-ninja ranged option, and springboard that into a small dagger model that would work for an off-hand option with dual blades. Bonus points if it has an advantage that applies bleeds in a similar fashion to the chain powers.

It would go great with the individual lunges each weapon framework should get.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Bleeds on the Single Blade powers are a bit iffy and Reaper's Caress seems to be the only attack that seems to stack bleeds. Scything Blade should stack and refresh bleeds too if that's not too much trouble. I also find the bleeds lasting too short of a duration and you lose stacks too quickly. Cut it Where it Counts should be configured to be more in line with Trauma effects either by making it more easy and reliable to apply or make it have a more crippling effect on heals.
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Reaper's Caress would be a close contender to Shred, but it's bleed chance is far too anemic.

It would go great with the individual lunges each weapon framework should get.

And if reaper's Caress got a damage boost...seriously, shred does nearly double the damage per hit that reapers caress does.

and as for the lunge...well the animation is already in game (some red dragon guys use it) so all they would have to do is make it available to the players and add a 0 point advantage to make the animation use 2 blades instead of just 1.
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Bleeds on the Single Blade powers are a bit iffy and Reaper's Caress seems to be the only attack that seems to stack bleeds. Scything Blade should stack and refresh bleeds too if that's not too much trouble. I also find the bleeds lasting too short of a duration and you lose stacks too quickly. Cut it Where it Counts should be configured to be more in line with Trauma effects either by making it more easy and reliable to apply or make it have a more crippling effect on heals.

Cut where it counts doesn't seem to be working correctly at the moment. It was incredibly reliable (meaning worked every hit against a bleeding target) when I had the swallowtail cut advantage selected as well as the cut where it counts advantage.

Scything blade has a unique opportunity to privide a sixth bleed to be ruptured. If that were expanded to all ranks of enemies, that would be phenominal. Allowing it to stack could create issues with the proportional bleed of swallowtail cut.
    notyuu wrote: »
    And if reaper's Caress got a damage boost...seriously, shred does nearly double the damage per hit that reapers caress does.

and as for the lunge...well the animation is already in game (some red dragon guys use it) so all they would have to do is make it available to the players and add a 0 point advantage to make the animation use 2 blades instead of just 1.

Shred activates in 1.57s while Reaper's Caress activates in 1.7s

Shred deals 171/196/309 at R1 while Reaper's Caress deals 104/160/235/235, according to CO wiki.

That's 676 damage in 1.57s Vs 734 damage in 1.7s; 431 Vs 432 DPS

The damage is fine, it just needs to be more competitive with regard to Bleed application.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would love reaper's caress bleed build up to be more inline with shred's. Being it's one of my favorite powers. Shouldn't caress work better with embrace than shred?
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Shred deals 171/196/309 at R1 while Reaper's Caress deals 104/160/235/235, according to CO wiki.

Better use in game information, shred got a buff a while ago, while the wiki has not been updated in ages.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    what single blade REALLY needs is some good aoe. perhaps a maintained one. same goes for fighting claws.

Maintenance and AoE
    Single Blade needs ASAP the Single-Blade Version-Skin of Eye of the Storm and Ego Blade Frenzy (TK have an AoE which can be BOTH Single or Dual blades what the hell?)

Using 1-Blade version of Ego Blade Frenzy feels really Elegant, Imagine using that power with a Rapier weapon skin :3
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    avianos wrote: »
    Maintace and AoE
    Single Blade needs ASAP the Single-Blade Version-Skin of Eye of the Storm and Ego Blade Frenzy (TK have an AO which can be BOTH Single or Dual blades what the hell?)

Using Ego Blade Frenzy feels really Elegand, Imagine using that power with a Rapier weapon skin :3

I agree! Even if for the visuals alone heh.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    Better use in game information, shred got a buff a while ago, while the wiki has not been updated in ages.

Dang, you're right. And the damage numbers for Reaper's Caress were very wrong.

From PTS tooltips, hybrid, 5 in all stats, no stars. 305

Caress:

90/138/203/203 -> 634 damage -> 373 DPS (1.7s)

Shred:

148/187/321 -> 656 damage -> 418 DPS (1.57s)

I wonder why the Wiki entry was so off on the damage values. Shred I can understand, but Reaper's Caress was way off, and it hasn't had any nerfs or buffs that I know of.

I retract my previous statement that the damage is fine. A 12% gap in DPS is no good. Especially considering the same costs.

Revised suggestion:

Change damage to -> 122/183/203/203 with a bleed chance of 15/15/50/50 percent (w/ no focus) and twice the chance when focused. This would bring both bleed application and damage in line with shred.
  • Options
    akirasanbeerakirasanbeer Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A block and a lunge wouldn't hurt either; weird given that the animations for both single and dual weapons exist...via Power Armor and TK blades. Or that they sheathe their weapon to block.