test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[SURVEY] + recommendation/idea to lessen the inevitable complaints about Justice Gear

agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PTS - The Archive
1. Here's the survey. It's 10 questions, roughly 10 to 15 minutes of your time. If I get enough results I'll share it. At least 100 to 200 people need to take the survey before I can believe any of the results, so please, get your friends this link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q92JQMR

Note: On the rankings, 1 is highest. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.

2. And my recommendation...

I propose that rotating alerts get higher drop rates.

Why?

Because your paying customers have to work jobs. Working jobs means you can't spend all your time gaming and farming. And if all your players experience when they log in to play, complete a challenging alert and get nothing worthwhile in their drops over and over? It's an exercise in frustration and disappointment.

Rotating alerts in particular are only accessible for specific windows of time. So if you miss them, you're out of luck until comes back around. If it's something you really wanted, you might just not even bother logging in until it comes back around.

I realize there will always be that small percentage of freaky people who have nothing better to do than be logged in farming the same boss over and over for the 0.00001% drop chance (hyberbole here, but you get my point; Kigatilik costumes and Depleted Uranium cores are great examples of things with atrociously low drops rates). We cannot balance the fun of the game around such extremes.

I have to blame Perfect World Entertainment on this one. This game didn't used to have such low drop rates, and it seems to get lower all the time though silent ninja nerfs that aren't in the patch notes (as if we wouldn't be intelligent enough to notice). It's monetizing the game in a way what works for Chinese gamers, but not US gamers. And most of the people that play this game are from the US, 40.3% in fact! ( source: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/perfectworld.com ).

I have and probably always will describe my design philosophy on drops as "Epic challenges, epic rewards" (means the harder or harder to even access something is, and you succeed? You deserve better odds of a better reward)

So while I strongly welcome and have praise for the move on Justice Gear to make it something you "craft" with four components you collect from challenging PvE content, I strongly caution Cryptic North to take care to have the drop rates on those 4 crafting components higher.

As it stands Fire & Ice is a very challenging (yet fun) alert, but that fun will be quickly killed if the odds of getting the needed crafting components are at drop rates as deplorable as Cybermind, Gravitar's Haute Coutere, Warlord's Depleted Uranium Core, or Therakiel's Sword. People will just get pussed and you won't get that 10-Salvage in sales per Justice Gear piece that is important to your revenue. This experiment will FAIL if you don't keep he drop rate carefully balanced so it's accessible to your paying customers.

The balance between too rare and too common is a challenging one for you historically, Cryptic. I pray you can get it right this time, you're on a razor's edge here. Our active player population isn't very high, unfortunately. Maybe some of the other posters in this topic can give

*crosses fingers, hopes for the best balance to be found*

with concern,

agentx5
Post edited by agentnx5 on

Comments

• skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You left out Sky command..

probabaly just as well if there was a harder option when add it make it "So annoyingly hard that no one ever bothers with it anymore, then it chucks a Omega Destroid in halfway to annoy you even more"

True definition of dead content.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It might not be a bad idea to provide an, "I don't care," option for the vehicle drop ranking. I, for example, do not own a vehicle and had to assign ranking at random, potentially affecting your results.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree with your general recommendation. Frankly, a lot of the drops we get as a level 40 I see as more of a hassle to be dealt with, than a reward. Green gear, blue gear, mods below rank 3 -> I generally don't even want or keep. It would make me happy if those were replaced in the drop tables with the equivalent G or Q, even if that's a small amount.

As to the survey, you had me until I saw it. You made all of the questions required and, don't take it personally, some of them seem as tedious and pointless as rank 1 mod drops. What's the point of making me prioritize a long list of mods and stats--shouldn't they be equal/random distribution drops? I'm not really sure what constructive feedback or action items would result from the questions about Cryptic either; we know players are generally unhappy.

You can put me down for liking the Justice Gear implementation though.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Because your paying customers have to work jobs. Working jobs means you can't spend all your time gaming and farming. And if all your players experience when they log in to play, complete a challenging alert and get nothing worthwhile in their drops over and over? It's an exercise in frustration and disappointment.

Okay, seriously, I have to ask. Since when did being a paying customer with a job, mean you have to be able to get the bestest stuff just as fast as the player who can play ALL THE TIME?

o.O

Seriously, as a player who works, I don't expect to get the bestest stuff ever right away. In fact, it took me quite a while to get the gear I wanted for my main, I just worked on it as I could.

The same went for Heroic Gear. I could either do the quick 2 Silver Champion Token Daily or I could find time to run the UNTIL Missions that give me Silver Champion Tokens.

Of course those who are able to (or willing to) spend much more time in game, are going to get the items faster.

What? Don't like to run one of the rampages? I can relate! That just means, you don't run it and wait for the ones you do like to pop up. Yes, it will slow you down in getting the shiny new gear, but that's all on you.

You decide how much time you want to devote to it.

The system they have in place, isn't that bad.
  • chemkchemk Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited January 2014

As it stands Fire & Ice is a very challenging (yet fun) alert, but that fun will be quickly killed if the odds of getting the needed crafting components are at drop rates as deplorable as Cybermind, Gravitar's Haute Coutere, Warlord's Depleted Uranium Core, or Therakiel's Sword. People will just get pussed and you won't get that 10-Salvage in sales per Justice Gear piece that is important to your revenue. This experiment will FAIL if you don't keep he drop rate carefully balanced so it's accessible to your paying customers.

It was my understanding that the tokens are a guaranteed drop if the rampage was completed.
    Tjim6oX.png
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Results so far on the survey are too small of a sample for my liking except there are a few obvious choices pulling ahead of the pack which I should take note of:

Question #1: What types of loot are you most interested in?

Three of definite note are:
    • Costume Unlocks (53.85% for 1st choice)
    • Questionite Ore (fixed quantity) (30.77% for 1st choice)
    • Resources / Gold / Globals (23.08% chose this as their 3rd choice; 38.46% chose this as their 4th choice)
    • Lockboxes (46.15% chose this as their last choice)
    • Consumables (38.46% chose this as their last choice)
    • Random Vendor Junk (0% put this as their last or even second last choice, which is interesting compared to Lockboxes and Consumables)

Question #2: Of the following stat mods, which do you want to get the most?

The following highlights actually aren't surprising to me, but are noteworthy:
    • CON has 84.62% for being people's 1st choice. Not even a contest.
    • DEX has 15.38% for being people's 1st choice, 38.46% for being people's second choice.
    • INT has 30.77% for being people's 2nd choice.
    • STR and EGO are actually tied, at 30.77% for being people's third choice.
    • END is 69.23% for being people's last choice, the one they want the least.

Question #3: Which vehicle mod do you want most?
    • Reconstructive Biosteel has 69.23% for being people's first choice. Not even a contest, much like CON in the previous question.
    • Weapon Diagnostics is an utter failure with 84.62% of people putting it as their last choice.

Question #4: How do you feel about Vehicle Mod hour?

Results:
    • Love it @ 15.38%
    • Like it @ 0%
    • Don't care @ 23.08%
    • Dislike it @ 7.69%
    • Hate it @ 53.85%

Guess that settles it eh?

Question #5: How is Cryptic doing for keeping the loot rewards drops fair & balanced (between too rare and too common) on the following PvE end-game content? Please consider the whole picture, not just one specific drop.

The results on this one are too even to be sure at this point, except for the following outstanding results:
    • 38.46% of people felt that Blood Moon's reward balance was "Excellent". Clearly you all felt this was the model for how rewards are done in a most balanced fashion. These are YOUR opinions, collectively.
    • Only one other content beat 10% for Excellent, and that was Serpent Lantern. (Should we be thanking Freon and the Q-Boxes from Serpent Mages for this?)
    • The lowest ratings went to Therakiel's Apocalypse Aversion mission with 50.15% rating the reward balance as "Poor", and 46.32% rating it as "Terrible". No other option even comes close to being as poorly rated as this option. Which I guess REALLY shows the rewards in Therakiel need to be upgraded and revisited ASAP.

Question #6: (mission difficulty balance, for you personally)

Again the results are kind of hazy except for a few outstanding ones of notice:
    • 46.15% of people said Forum Malvanum was "Way too hard for me -- an exercise in frustration". No other result was even over 17%, obviously there's something seriously wrong with Forum Malvanum's design (Anyone want to bet what that is? I have theory... call it Duraclad, hint hint... :wink:)
    • Blood Moon and NemCon were rated as the easiest End-Game PvE content, specifically people agreed overwhelmingly with "Way too easy for me... Zzz... " for these two.

Question #7: I feel Cryptic North understands the playerbase.

Results:
    • Strongly Agree @ 7.69%
    • Agree @ 38.46%
    • Neutral @ 23.08%
    • Disagree @ 23.08%
    • Strongly Disagree 7.69%

Question #8: I am confident in Cryptic to develop content that is balanced.

Results:
    • Strongly Agree @ 7.69%
    • Agree @ 7.69%
    • Neutral @ 46.15%
    • Disagree @ 30.77%
    • Strongly Disagree @ 7.69%

Question #9: Does Cryptic listen to player feedback?

Results:
    • Far too much @ 0%
    • Sometimes too much @ 7.69%
    • Just right @ 23.08%
    • Sometimes not enough @ 53.85%
    • Hardly at all @ 15.38%

Question #10: Do you like how Justice Gear is being implemented?

Results:
    • Love it. @ 46.15%
    • Like it. @ 30.77%
    • Don't care. @ 0%
    • Dislike it. @ 15.38%
    • Hate it. @ 7.69%
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow really? Forum Malvanum? 0.o Meh I suppose I never ran it with pugs only ever with my SG and people from Spectre but we always did it easily even when with a full team of AT's. Like easy as in we would have some AT who would just give up and end up watching instead and we'd still do it easily within the time. I suppose they are talking about completing it, the idea is that the reward gets higher as you do more rounds. People are talking about completing the entire thing.
    Reconstructive Biosteel has 69.23% for being people's first choice. Not even a contest, much like CON in the previous question.

Haha, or this could of been unfair where I believe many people may of just gone 1-2-3-4 etc in the order they already were. ;D Maybe I'm wrong on that.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Fairness in Drops
    As it is, all of the APs/Comics are excellent in terms of rewards as they were designed with care. Regular questionite rewards, mod drops, resources from mobs and the occasional costume drop. Its obvious that these are top notch.

Event Drops
    As for some events, Mega D has to be poor rewards as the only thing worth a damn is the Backups and those devices are intended to be excellent top notch rewards. The focus of the event.

The Bad in drops
    However, Cybermind and Therakiel are dead terrible as reward for the time and effort put into them don't match. Therakiel's Temple can be worse than terrible as its top reward is at the end and its drop chance is outright broken. That alone will defeat the good that the rest of the lair provides.

The Good in drops
    Hi Pan Dragon is a bold opposite to the previous since its reward isn't granted but you still get some money and questionite. The costumes drop enough to make the rewards fun to look forward to as well as the permanent device. More content needs this. Cybermind needs this.

Mod Hour
    When I see those numbers for people who liked vehicle mod hour, I don't think they realize what they are voting on or they are just picking something to turn in the survey. Getting hundreds of rank 1 vehicle mods in a few of these special hours don't match up to an R3 or R4 you would get from a single Burst. And that is exaggerating positively in favor of the Mod hour since you aren't likely to get the same kind of mods. (You need 125 of the same R1 to get a R4 made. Think about that waste of time compared to a single Burst.)

Is Cryptic Listening
    As for Cryptic listening to the player base, it always falls flat on its face in some crucial form with every new feature that comes out. Features that would be utterly perfect otherwise. And its not programming limitation but a conscious choice made by someone in charge. Hideouts (in)Complete. On Alert - Everything is Purple. Vehicles not having visual customization. Gamble box behind a gamble box. And now purchased auras not unlocking for all characters.

Conclusion
    Again we have high hopes for Rampages being updated with Justice Gear acquired through it. However, it will be screwed up somehow in some unforeseen, unpredictable, nonsensical way.
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The following highlights actually aren't surprising to me, but are noteworthy:
    • CON has 84.62% for being people's 1st choice. Not even a contest.
    • DEX has 15.38% for being people's 1st choice, 38.46% for being people's second choice.
    • INT has 30.77% for being people's 2nd choice.
    • STR and EGO are actually tied, at 30.77% for being people's third choice.
    • END is 69.23% for being people's last choice, the one they want the least.

True CON is more precious! I have CON as Secondary SS to all my FF characters, Reason? I hate dieing and getting 1 Shot by Bosses (I DON'T PVP, only PvE) Doesn't feel really Heroic Dieing all the time... So I make my Character able to survive by their own! :biggrin:

Hey what happened to Recovery? :confused:
    Question #4: How do you feel about Vehicle Mod hour?

Results:
    • Love it @ 15.38%
    • Like it @ 0%
    • Don't care @ 23.08%
    • Dislike it @ 7.69%
    • Hate it @ 53.85%

Guess that settles it eh?

Nice to see that the Majority hates Venicle Mod Hour as well!
    Useless Rank 1 mods spam my Inventory! Meanwhile I can get higher Mods in Bursts! making the entire thing! POINTLESS!
    The results on this one are too even to be sure at this point, except for the following outstanding results:
    • 38.46% of people felt that Blood Moon's reward balance was "Excellent". Clearly you all felt this was the model for how rewards are done in a most balanced fashion. These are YOUR opinions, collectively.
    • Only one other content beat 10% for Excellent, and that was Serpent Lantern. (Should we be thanking Freon and the Q-Boxes from Serpent Mages for this?)
    • The lowest ratings went to Therakiel's Apocalypse Aversion mission with 50.15% rating the reward balance as "Poor", and 46.32% rating it as "Terrible". No other option even comes close to being as poorly rated as this option. Which I guess REALLY shows the rewards in Therakiel need to be upgraded and revisited ASAP.

For Therakiel Temple I blame the Power Replacement and Costume Removal :|
    Since they removed Therakiel Sword, Wings of Nephilim and Back Halo of Immortality, the entire lair became Clipped

LET'S REMOVE THE MAJORITY OF THE SHINY REWARDS FROM ONE OF THE FEW END GAME LAIRS! I'M SURE THIS WON'T BACKFIRE IN A ANY WAY! HYACK HYACK HYACK!

:|

This Decision Displease me

Also same goes for the NemCon costume pieces...

Again the results are kind of hazy except for a few outstanding ones of notice:
    • 46.15% of people said Forum Malvanum was "Way too hard for me -- an exercise in frustration". No other result was even over 17%, obviously there's something seriously wrong with Forum Malvanum's design (Anyone want to bet what that is? I have theory... call it Duraclad, hint hint... :wink:)
    • Blood Moon and NemCon were rated as the easiest End-Game PvE content, specifically people agreed overwhelmingly with "Way too easy for me... Zzz... " for these two.

Ah... Forum Malvan... all my HATE for Forum Malvan
    Where to Begin?
    Horrible Designed Alert
    Timed Mission
    Timer which is NOT working and it's Not Enough
    Two Macho Bosses with Defiance as passive
    Unskippable Cutscene Spam
    Punish non-DPS (Tanks, Healers, ATs, non-DPS FF are getting PUNISHED, this SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING)
    The Final Boss is a Douche

((Sidenote: Duraclad sounds like a Pairing-Shipping Name! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? :eek:

Ironclad + Duratok = OTP! ))
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    avianos wrote: »
    True CON is more precious! I have CON as Secondary SS to all my FF characters, Reason? I hate dieing and getting 1 Shot by Bosses (I DON'T PVP, only PvE) Doesn't feel really Heroic Dieing all the time... So I make my Character able to survive by their own! :biggrin:

The real reason why this is the case with CON?

No diminishing returns and ego surge.

GG.

I think they should simply take off ego surges advantage to be honest. For some odd reason they nerfed imbue into the ground just to leave ego surge to be an easy way to get close to 100% crit chance on a super tanky toon so you can not only be tankier than everyone but also hit more dps. NOICE.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How many people have no idea what vehicle mods even do and just did the random number thing? I know I don't and stopped doing the survey since I wouldn't be able to answer that question without just making stuff up.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    How many people have no idea what vehicle mods even do and just did the random number thing? I know I don't and stopped doing the survey since I wouldn't be able to answer that question without just making stuff up.

I donkey voted. Surveys are meaningless anyway, all it proves is that they suck.. You could survey me about my experience with surveys and a question "Have you ever in your entire life completed a survey with all questions being answerable to you? Rate this yes/no question 1-5, 5 being good, 1 being strongly disagree" and it would not be surprised..

The only time i ever saw a survey which let you write your answers in real words, said "write all answers in the space provided" and only had enough space for 4 letters.. all my what? >.<
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The Forum Malvanum question should have actually been two parts, with the first part pertaining to the pre-timed portion which is all that is required to actually sucessfully complete the alert, and the second part pertaining to the timed portion which is required to get a few extra resources.
    edited January 2014
    sterga wrote: »

That part of the survey would have been better as check boxes, rather than an ordered list.

"Check the vehicle mods that you even care about". I would have checked the ones that give flight speed and left the others blank, and I get the feeling a few other people would have done the same.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    seriously having some cool new form to scale off end would seriously help.

We almost got powers that scale in effectiveness with Endurance. Almost. (Half of the new Telepathy set that was removed.)
    edited January 2014
    how about making other stats worth it?

Lessening the effectiveness of Constitution would in fact do that. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Lessening the effectiveness of Constitution would in fact do that. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah I don't know about that.

In this game its either damage or health. There really isn't much inbetween.

How much would you lower the effectiveness of CON in game that seems to have most of its high level content going forward, making it seem like the most valuable stat?

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    In this game its either damage or health. There really isn't much inbetween.

Well, damage already diminishes pretty harshly (esp for FFs) so that's not much an issue :p Plus there is more healing and mitigation to gear for as options.

Honestly, the best way for non-tanks to *not* value Con so highly (speaking pve here) is to make encounters where the dmg going out to the person not holding aggro is more predictable and preventable.

This disqualifies things like random target 8k gravity cascades. A dps should be taking that sort of dmg if they did something wrong, not just randomly- or if they can react in time to block and mitigate it. And for doing something wrong, the dmg has to be high enough that not even Con stacking would have mattered much. This rewards paying attention to fight mechanics over gearing and building for a particular encounter, despite theme and/or role.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We're talking about con again? Lemme reiterate what I said quite a few times.

CON's effectiveness must be lowered from 15hp/point to 10-12hp/point AND the base hp pool must be raised by ABOUT 2,000 hp.
    edited January 2014
    I prefer powers not scale with specific super stats. That was one of the best things that was changed and needs to be expanded due to many powers scaling with certain stats still being a thing. It would be a tiny step towards more build options.
    flowcyto wrote: »
    This disqualifies things like random target 8k gravity cascades. A dps should be taking that sort of dmg if they did something wrong, not just randomly- or if they can react in time to block and mitigate it. And for doing something wrong, the dmg has to be high enough that not even Con stacking would have mattered much. This rewards paying attention to fight mechanics over gearing and building for a particular encounter, despite theme and/or role.

On one hand, having a big bad boss that can randomly target people can make a more exciting fight. On the other, this game is based on RNGesus and if he loves you today. You can't move out of the way / manually dodge most attacks. Gravitar breaks the rules in that every other heavy hitting attack is preceded by a very obvious warning. Cryptic spent the entire rest of the game teaching you to block when you see the warning and then Grav comes in and triple FC's that in the face.

Con's popularity has more to do with how well it goes with certain awesome things and less about giving you a bunch of health. You can get through almost everything in the game with only 10 Con.
    edited January 2014
    OH! and while we are on the topic of justice gear..

to remove ONE rank 8 mod.. 14,000+ questionite.

Well, you'll have to be commited to your choices I guess :P
    edited January 2014
    Expensive to upgrade to new gear. That's what you get for bothering with r8s instead of sticking with r7s. And I don't normally level my toons with con. I don't often play toons with con as a superstat or tanks and normally use vanguard gear for leveling. Never found it to be more tedious than leveling already is.

From my understanding, justice gear gives you a bunch of super stats. By the time a toon hits 40 and is decked out with r7s+, aren't you hitting diminishing returns so hard that those stats won't do a whole hell of a lot if anything?
    edited January 2014
    They can gouge us all they want for in-game currency far as I care. Questionite is easy to get...easier than resources in fact.
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We're talking about con again? Lemme reiterate what I said quite a few times.

CON's effectiveness must be lowered from 15hp/point to 10-12hp/point AND the base hp pool must be raised by ABOUT 2,000 hp.

I'm quite content with my 4,955 HP characters.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
    edited January 2014
    cyrone wrote: »
    I'm quite content with my 4,955 HP characters.

4,955 hp +10,000+ PFF doesn't count. ;)
    edited January 2014
    Narrowing the HP gap actually sounds like a decent idea. Tanks are a bit too tanky (for the damage they can do) and squishies are a bit too squishie (for the damage they can do). Of course, that's only relevant to pvp.
    edited January 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Narrowing the HP gap actually sounds like a decent idea. Tanks are a bit too tanky (for the damage they can do) and squishies are a bit too squishie (for the damage they can do). Of course, that's only relevant to pvp.

This this this.