test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This game needs more...

spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
...missions where you have to find groups of 3-4 npcs and kill them.

Like maybe 10 or so groups of those npcs, and then return to the quest giver. I really feel like it would add a good amount of variety to the game if there were more quests that told us to go kill X number of npcs, because when I think super heroes, that's what I think about. Being hired to go and neutralize small groups of enemies.

Also more missions where you run up to an interactive item and click on it, then wait for a progress bar to fill. I'm really getting bored with all the repetitive content while questing, and I think these two mechanics would really breath some fresh life into the game if they were implemented.
Post edited by spinnytop on

Comments

• Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sarcasm thread?
    Sarcasm thread.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd rather some actual story content, and fixes for the stuff that already exists.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think it needs more sports missions. Yeah that's the ticket. I wanna play basketball with the Jets and the Sharks and put them all to shame because I'm super.

No but really, I think it needs more outside-the-box missions like the Malvan races. I thought it was fun as butts but the rewards were so limited, there wasn't much use of doing them over and over again. Maybe if you won tokens based on your place, and you could use those tokens to buy vehicle mods and costume pieces and junk.

I also think it needs travel power-specific challenge courses. If you've played Crackdown, you'll be familiar with the rooftop races. Stuff like that would be cool to do in Champs, what with all the different travel powers we have. Have Superspeed? See how fast you can get from the Prison to Harmon Labs. Have Swinging? Try to get to the top of the Blimp in Renaissance Center. Have Superjump? Try to land on one of them arch spikes in Renaissance Center.

Really that's difficult.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I think it needs more sports missions. Yeah that's the ticket. I wanna play basketball with the Jets and the Sharks and put them all to shame because I'm super.

For some reason I got really hype reading this.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    For some reason I got really hype reading this.

I do think that some sports-oriented PvP would be awesome. I know everyone wants to use their powers to kill everyone else, but some team-based, no-killing-each-other, get-the-McGuffin-from-here-to-there type of games would be pretty cool.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think i could put a list on. Again.
    But not gonna.
    Instead.....
    will-ferrell-cowbell-o.gif
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    I think i could put a list on. Again.
    But not gonna.
    Instead.....
    will-ferrell-cowbell-o.gif
    moustache.gif

You sure you don't wanna spend seven hours putting a list together?
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    In all seriousness I would say that the game needs more female mobs. It would be nice if there was the suggestion that there was a 50/50 mix between male and female. As is most mobs, villains, heroes, and NPCS are male. I'd say less then 1/3 of models in the game are female.

Not that I'm looking to beat up female characters more. It just sort of irks me that groups like PSI only seem to have two female members.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    guyhumual wrote: »
    In all seriousness I would say that the game needs more female mobs. It would be nice if there was the suggestion that there was a 50/50 mix between male and female. As is most mobs, villains, heroes, and NPCS are male. I'd say less then 1/3 of models in the game are female.

Not that I'm looking to beat up female characters more. It just sort of irks me that groups like PSI only seem to have two female members.

Huh... I never thought about it. I can only think of Maniacs that have females. The VIPER air cavalry are female too, right? And some cowboy robots... Yeah it seems they mainly save females for villains... Weird.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I do think that some sports-oriented PvP would be awesome. I know everyone wants to use their powers to kill everyone else, but some team-based, no-killing-each-other, get-the-McGuffin-from-here-to-there type of games would be pretty cool.

yes, lets have a Bloodbowl tournament.

me, I want to see more huntin and gathering missions. go out collect your breakfast , cook and eat.

MI would be great, you could raid the Manimals food stores
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've said a few times, a football (I'm English come at me bro, soccer for you american people) game using the football you can find in moms basement. It'd be perfect, like disable powers and travel powers and stuff maybe and have one single power that slightly repels things infront of you so you can kick them ball or push the other team off the ball. ;D

Another amazingly epic thing on the stupendously long to-do list over at cryptic north!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I've said a few times, a football (I'm English come at me bro, soccer for you american people) game using the football you can find in moms basement. It'd be perfect, like disable powers and travel powers and stuff maybe and have one single power that slightly repels things infront of you so you can kick them ball or push the other team off the ball. ;D

Another amazingly epic thing on the stupendously long to-do list over at cryptic north!

Yeah exactly stuff like this. The powers only affect the "ball" unless it's some kinda push-away thing to use against other players.

Unfortunately, I think the soccer ball in the basement is a client-side physics object, so it appears different on everyone's screens. I'm sure they could just make it a critter though, with a bajillion HP and no knock resistance.

Would be much funs.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Huh... I never thought about it. I can only think of Maniacs that have females. The VIPER air cavalry are female too, right? And some cowboy robots... Yeah it seems they mainly save females for villains... Weird.
    I think VIPER is one of the more progressive groups, one female villain (Viperia from Serpent's Lantern unless you count the base commander found near the vehicles in the desert) and the odd female mob, including air cavalry, air ace, and psionic suppressors. UNTIL and other friendly NPC groups also have the odd female member, and it was nice that in Aftershock they included a female commander and a female officer to rescue, even if every other UNTIL member is male.

Of course you could always look at it as being kind of progressive in a way. Because there are so few females there are few damsels in distress as usually if you're rescuing someone you're rescuing a male scientist. Course that would be more believable if there were more female mobs and npcs in the game.
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i would to more kill all missions, and where you cant find that one npc in said mission.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Getting back to the OP:
    ...missions where you have to find groups of 3-4 npcs and kill them.

Like maybe 10 or so groups of those npcs, and then return to the quest giver. I really feel like it would add a good amount of variety to the game if there were more quests that told us to go kill X number of npcs, because when I think super heroes, that's what I think about. Being hired to go and neutralize small groups of enemies.
    Hey now, sometimes those mobs are in groups of 2! Also it does help with self help pages: "Having trouble with a mission? Have you tried killing every last living MoFu on the map?"
    Also more missions where you run up to an interactive item and click on it, then wait for a progress bar to fill. I'm really getting bored with all the repetitive content while questing, and I think these two mechanics would really breath some fresh life into the game if they were implemented.
    See this one I wouldn't mind as much if I felt the clicking the item wasn't a stupid endeavor to begin with. Sabotage a weapon's crate? Why I'm sure VIPER won't be in the least bit suspicious after a hero broke into their warehouse and beat everyone up and left all those weapon crates. Collect the pods? exactly were is my hero sticking those crates?

Another thing that annoys the hell out of me is those items you need to use on a defeated enemy that have cool downs for absolutely no reason. Put a viper card on a defeated manamal? Sure, need to wait 8 seconds between cards? WTF?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    guyhumual wrote: »
    Another thing that annoys the hell out of me is those items you need to use on a defeated enemy that have cool downs for absolutely no reason. Put a viper card on a defeated manamal? Sure, need to wait 8 seconds between cards? WTF?

Ho yeah, this one really grinds my gears. That one in particular is a timed mission, to boot. Sure you get like a half hour, but still.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ...developers. And budget.

With more devs, we could get into other things the game needs more of, like zones. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah exactly stuff like this. The powers only affect the "ball" unless it's some kinda push-away thing to use against other players.

Unfortunately, I think the soccer ball in the basement is a client-side physics object, so it appears different on everyone's screens. I'm sure they could just make it a critter though, with a bajillion HP and no knock resistance.

Would be much funs.

If it is purely using repels like using the wind shield code then there is no resistances. Really get someone with that shield and get someone to use mini gun with pestilence and other DOT's on you, they'll shoot 100ft away from you in under a second. It'd be cool if they used this code but somehow made it only affect the ball. ;D
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Ho yeah, this one really grinds my gears. That one in particular is a timed mission, to boot. Sure you get like a half hour, but still.

I'm sure you meant to say "And on top of that, they only give you like half an hour!"

You know when I first started playing this game, I was playing with a friend, and we picked up a mission with a 15 minute timer in Canada. I was like... OMG...FIFTEEN MINUTES!? this mission is gonna be EPIC!!! O3o

So I rushed my friend along.... when we finished with 14 minutes left on the timer... well let's just say that that was how early a lot of my opinions on "easy" began to form.... and this was way before On Alert u_u
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I'm sure you meant to say "And on top of that, they only give you like half an hour!"

You know when I first started playing this game, I was playing with a friend, and we picked up a mission with a 15 minute timer in Canada. I was like... OMG...FIFTEEN MINUTES!? this mission is gonna be EPIC!!! O3o

So I rushed my friend along.... when we finished with 14 minutes left on the timer... well let's just say that that was how early a lot of my opinions on "easy" began to form.... and this was way before On Alert u_u

Yeah they're a bit generous with their timers. The only times I think I've ever biffed a mission timer was when I didn't even notice it had one.

Oh wait, there's that one mission in Lemuria where you have to rescue some submarine, and you have to look for an air tank... holy crap, they give you what seems like 20 seconds and the thing you need to find is like outside the mission area circle thing. GRRLGGLLMPRPH
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah they're a bit generous with their timers. The only times I think I've ever biffed a mission timer was when I didn't even notice it had one.

Oh wait, there's that one mission in Lemuria where you have to rescue some submarine, and you have to look for an air tank... holy crap, they give you what seems like 20 seconds and the thing you need to find is like outside the mission area circle thing. GRRLGGLLMPRPH

"biff" is a verb now?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "biff" is a verb now?
    Slang Dictionary

biff definition

[bɪf]
    1. tv.
      to hit someone. : Tom biffed Fred on the snoot.
    2. n.
      a blow. : The biff on the nose gave Fred a nosebleed.
    3. in.
      to fall; to fail; to crash. : His bike hit a bump and he biffed.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    "biff" is a verb now?

Yes. As in, your avatar is so creepy that it's biffing the heck out of me. Less cyborg juice plz.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014

A bit generous? Compared to City of Heroes, the timed missions in CO are exceedingly generous. Even playing Hunt The $#@*^% Cave in Lemuria, I've never felt like a CO mission timer was going be a close call.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    A bit generous? Compared to City of Heroes, the timed missions in CO are exceedingly generous. Even playing Hunt The $#@*^% Cave in Lemuria, I've never felt like a CO mission timer was going be a close call.

I remember this one time I got one of those missions... I just kind of spaced out after arriving in Lemuria and ended up queing for alerts. Finished two of them before I noticed the mission was still in my log... went and mopped it up no problem.

I think your use of the word exceedingly is well placed.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Game needs more dark grims standing about ren cen.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally, I don't know why they even bother putting a timer on most of those missions, since they mainly punish people who forget and go do something else.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Slang Dictionary

biff definition

[bɪf]
    1. tv.
    2. n.
    3. in.

Wow I always thought it was onomatopoeia. Like in comics when someone is struck in the gut by a punch there's a *BIFF* sound.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    "biff" is a verb now?
    jonsills wrote: »
    Slang Dictionary

biff definition

[bɪf]
    1. tv.
    2. n.
    3. in.

That's funny, I never knew that it could legitimately be used like in 3.

A few long years back, I was playing Blood Bowl (funny because Chaelk mentioned this a couple hours ago), and whenever someone would fail their Go For It! roll, I'd say that he biffed it. And that's actually how I started using that name. Guess who has the worst luck with dice rolls? :P

Edit: D'oh just saw that it's from a Slang dictionary. Oh well, semi-legitimate use then. :D
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    xmyuikixxmyuikix Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree, we need pandas!:biggrin:
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That's funny, I never knew that it could legitimately be used like in 3.

A few long years back, I was playing Blood Bowl (funny because Chaelk mentioned this a couple hours ago), and whenever someone would fail their Go For It! roll, I'd say that he biffed it. And that's actually how I started using that name. Guess who has the worst luck with dice rolls? :P

Edit: D'oh just saw that it's from a Slang dictionary. Oh well, semi-legitimate use then. :D

It's old-school but totally legit.

I'm in my late forties and from Texas, and my brother and I and our friends used the word "Biffed" in that manner. It basically means "To miss", as in miss a punch completely, like whiffing.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    iamrune wrote: »
    It's old-school but totally legit.

I'm in my late forties and from Texas, and my brother and I and our friends used the word "Biffed" in that manner. It basically means "To miss", as in miss a punch completely, like whiffing.

In my neck of the woods, "biff" meant a failure involving blunt force trauma, usually having to do with an athletic stunt, gravity, and pavement.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've said a few times, a football (I'm English come at me bro, soccer for you american people)
    dont blame us, soccer is British slang, it just stuck here longer.(for association football)

anyhow, I liked the mission in mill city where i had to lift debris from a bunch of people and put out fires, more instanced "heroic" missions would work for me. keep the rewards reasonable so that they cant be abused(not that combat is generally that hard) but i like saving people from burning buildings. make them themed about different power concepts(healing, fight, super speed) and run with it.
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited January 2014
    The OP of this threat is trolling much?

He high?
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    debateable, lets just list them as non standard thinker
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Escort Quest
    Defeat X amount of Enemies

What's next on the Thread List Spinny?
    This game absolutely need... Collect XYZ amount of Items? :rolleyes:

Collecting Twenty Bear Asses IS ALSO a hateful trope for Games and the SIN of MMOs

:confused:

YOU LEAVE MY BEAR's ARSE ALONE! D: WHAT EVEN RYLAN DID TO YOU?
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    The OP of this threat is trolling much?

He high?

It's not a threat, it's a promise.

And it's fairly obvious if you consider the content of the game.
  • Options
    r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited January 2014
    We already have more missions than we need to get to get lvl 40...

I dont see any reason for them to make new missions... they shoudl rather polish the old stuff .. like the bad cutscenes and well...bring back old functions like "power replacements" , maybe even real crafting , social areas and justicar gear.... just sayin...

(( especially the power replacement abilty for lifetimers and gold members.. i mean im silver myself right now.. but still.. people have paid for this service and now its gone...))
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    r9xchaos wrote: »
    We already have more missions than we need to get to get lvl 40...

I dont see any reason for them to make new missions...

They would have to fill a new zone with something, wouldn't they?