test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Recovery as a primary?

jarfarujarfaru Posts: 91 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Power Discussion
Just how much of a bad idea is this? I thought the more recovery you have the more energy you have to use your powers.
Recovery
Dex
Ego
These were my choices. Player's have been telling its really bad.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jarfaru wrote: »
    Just how much of a bad idea is this? I thought the more recovery you have the more energy you have to use your powers.
    Recovery
    Dex
    Ego
    These were my choices. Player's have been telling its really bad.

Recovery is more about how quickly you gain energy back, not your overall pool of energy.

I don't think I've used Recovery as a main stat before, but I like using it. It's got a bad rap, but I think that's mostly from people who use powersets that have great Energy Unlocks, who will also scoff at using Energy Builders. If you're playing something like Might or Force, there's not a whole lot of options for "free energy."

Personally I love Rec, and often use it as a secondary Superstat. Having it as a main stat, you'll never be starved for Energy, that's for sure. One or two pops of your Energy Builder and you'll be back to full. It sure beats not having a good Energy Unlock and not having Recovery.

Anyway, do whatever you think is fun. I don't think that Superstatting Recovery is going to make you a gimp. You wanna have mega Recovery, go for it. Play with it for a while. If you end up not liking it, just blow the 50g to Respec your stats and you're good as new.
    biffsig.jpg
  • jarfarujarfaru Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I do like it and have got to lvl 30 with it. I can use my powers all day. I take out groups of mobs all the time and rarely die
    thanks for your reply.
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    REC for Second Wind Spec plus lots of INT...I love it :)
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I found REC to be great as a Primary stat with the Power Armor set that allows for terrific energy management. The Overdrive energy unlock scales mostly from REC. Add the Efficient choice from the REC spec tree, and that makes the energy unlock give even more.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Since the change in how Crit/Dex scales, Recovery-based characters might be the easiest way now to have extremely high crit chances; Dex characters themselves will usually struggle to get above 37%, while with a high equilibrium a Rec-based character using Supercharged will be sitting at well above 40% if you're already geared well for chance.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• mlmiimlmii Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I used to run Rec as my primary SS but anymore I've tended to favor a Int/Con/Rec setup and honestly I'm much happier with the way it plays, energy management can be handled using one of the toggles (disclaimer, I personally use IDF which doesn't) and/or a decent energy unlock.

In the past I've usually set my energy builder to never turn off in the settings but I think the latest build that I've had help with in the other forum can finally get away from that even though I don't think running it that way has ever actually hurt me in gameplay.

Also something to consider is that energy costs can also be partially managed via gear as well so I think that is also one of the reasons that Rec as a primary isn't well liked.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bluhman wrote: »
    Since the change in how Crit/Dex scales, Recovery-based characters might be the easiest way now to have extremely high crit chances; Dex characters themselves will usually struggle to get above 37%, while with a high equilibrium a Rec-based character using Supercharged will be sitting at well above 40% if you're already geared well for chance.

Keep in mind, though, w/ that higher crit rate also comes significantly lower severity.

Presence primary also has a good crit-increasing talent, Str can have it to melee attacks, and Ego has that option as well. So I wouldn't really call the Rec Supercharged thing much an advantage, esp given the 90% energy clause.

Still, there are a few ways to have a glut of energy w/ Rec primary that can be stacked up: CoAP, Defiance for tanks, good EUs + most toggles, Dark Transfusion, r3 end builders (Boomerang toss can crit for close to 1k on some of my dps toons- not bad for an end builder).
    Rec primary can work; its just more niche, like End or Pres primaries, imo.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Rec Primary with Con/Dex secondaries can achieve some ridiculous critical chance. Last time I ran those three stats I hit upwards of 92% chance while keeping my severity at around 90%.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
    edited January 2014
    Rec Primary with Con/Dex secondaries can achieve some ridiculous critical chance. Last time I ran those three stats I hit upwards of 92% chance while keeping my severity at around 90%.

Eh, nimble mind? Not really Rec primary doing most of the legwork there :/
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ego Bladers who use ID Mastery could benefit from going REC PSS. Reason being that the damage resistance value on ID Mastery scales with REC.

REC's spec's can get you a resting crit chance which decreases as your energy levels lower BUT shoot back up when your energy is at it's highest. And yes you can see the % it grants as it is auto updated as energy levels change on your build overview tab.

If you want to make particularly good use of REC PSS, I'd take a high DPS build and perhaps run it with CoAP + Electric AO (with Matter/Energy Union) or something and get crazy critical strikes for a short duration.

High tick DPS builds can be pretty monstrous with REC PSS.
    edited January 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Eh, nimble mind? Not really Rec primary doing most of the legwork there :/

Without Nimble Mind that character was pushing around 60% crit chance.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
    edited January 2014
    cyrone wrote: »
    Without Nimble Mind that character was pushing around 60% crit chance.
    Impressive, but was that before or after the crit nerf? Think highest I got w/ some toons before was around 55-57% if you count spec trees. Nowadays, ofc, its not that high.
    edited January 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Impressive, but was that before or after the crit nerf? Think highest I got w/ some toons before was around 55-57% if you count spec trees. Nowadays, ofc, its not that high.

It was after the "nerf".
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • jarfarujarfaru Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you all for replying. I thought i was the only one as many in game said made a bad choice with it. I really am having fun with this character.
  • blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's been a while since I've used rec primary, and I'm a little sad for that I'd like it to be worthwhile, but you get 15% chance from Supercharged, while your energy is > 90%.

I've seen Ego primary get between 11% and 14% chance, with 3/3 sixth sense, all the time, and it has access to severity increasing spec as well.

Now, that being said, use what you want, I've done days where I unslot my passive and two random powers on a Ranged damage role character and ran elite missions. You're not going to make the game unplayable, but there are a few issues with Rec primary, and it should be buffed.

After a certain ammount of investment, Equilibrium can exceed your maximum energy. This means further investment provides incredibly limited return including improved EB energy generation (Which you should never need on a Rec primary character) and a bit of maximum energy.

Also of note, I wouldn't take smoke bomb anyway, but throwing it out in case it fit theme, too much equilibrium can make the power literally unusable. When it costs equal to your equilibrium, and your equilibrium can exceed your maximum energy, that means you can never have enough energy to use it.

Recovery is much better as either a secondary or even non-ss that you invest in lightly. Just enough to give you alpha strike capability, and get you to your energy unlock.
    edited January 2014
    I thought they fixed that issue.
    edited January 2014
    mlmii wrote: »
    I thought they fixed that issue.

What issue?
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    cyrone wrote: »
    What issue?

I would guess the Smoke Bomb energy cost bug.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jarfaru wrote: »
    ...I really am having fun with this character.
    /End Thread.

:biggrin:
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
    edited January 2014
    I vaguely remember reading that they changed Rec where it also increases your overall energy levels slightly so you can't have an equalibrum higher then your energy score no matter what.

Never tested it and I suppose I could be misremembering something as it's been awhile back...
  • blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mlmii wrote: »
    I vaguely remember reading that they changed Rec where it also increases your overall energy levels slightly so you can't have an equalibrum higher then your energy score no matter what.

Never tested it and I suppose I could be misremembering something as it's been awhile back...

Rec does increase your overall energy slightly, but it isn't tied to equilibrium and it increases at a much lower rate than equilibrium, unless there's a new oddity with smoke bomb.

I know that yesterday when on PTS and seeing about a SS build, I rebuilt from a character that had over 200 recovery, and smoke bomb was unusable, even with all forms, travel powers, and sneak turned off. I had max 130-ish energy, and was at my maximum energy, but the cost was 150-something IIRC. It wasn't until I changed my slotting and replaced Rec with Int that smoke bomb was usable.

But I saw that they took the time to remove double Shadowstrike, while I was away. But, ya know, not make smoke bomb useful without that, or fix the bug that makes it impossible to use in certain circumstances.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Goes great with Energy Unlocks, Look how Inferno AT uses it, or Compassion if you're looking for a Support Hybrid.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,021 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ego Bladers who use ID Mastery could benefit from going REC PSS. Reason being that the damage resistance value on ID Mastery scales with REC.

WAIT WHAT? The Recovery effects the ID Mastery Overall Damage Resistance?:eek:
    >The Description from the Wiki on Archives< states that it Scales with Super Stats and Recover ONLY effects the cost reduction for all Mentalist powers

let's me see
    My DISCLIPLE AT ID Mastery gives him +24% Power Cost Discount and +24% Resistance to all damage (EGO:244, DEX: 256, REC: 210)

My FreeForm TK Discliple's ID Mastery +13% Power Cost Discount and +25% Resistance to all damage with (DEX: 326 CON: 225 INT: 183)

so.... yeah I don't think that's the case
    --
    Also REC rocks with Overdrive! :biggrin::biggrin:
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    avianos wrote: »
    --
    Also REC rocks with Overdrive! :biggrin::biggrin:

Don't forget Infernal Super Natural Power Energy Unlock with Super Natural Powers. :3
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."