test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Want to say thanks to the CO Wiki founder

blueionstormzblueionstormz Posts: 289 Arc User
Just wanted to show my appreciation to those who have taken time and effort in making this wiki for the community.

My thanks go out to the many contributors to this wiki. Your faithful descriptions and contributions to the CO wiki has made this an excellent guide for all. In particular, I'd like to thank lohr's effort in hosting the site that made this wiki such a big help for me personally.

Throughout the time it was up, I've consulted the CO wiki many, many times...
for quest help when stumped,
for power description when contemplating a build,
for background lore to better understand the CO universe,
for perks description to aim for the one that fit my character concept,
and other more reasons as well.

Consulting it saved me a lot of headaches looking for the correct Lemurian caves during Unity mission. It also guided me to each undead heroes during my first bloodmoon. It helped me know which AF to complete and what other requirements to meet in order to get the Winter Warrior Perk. Those are but a few ways the CO wiki has helped me as I'm also sure it has helped many others as well.

So even though I've never met lohr in game, I just wanted to say "thank you" and to let lohr and the contributors know, you are appreciated.

If anyone else has good memories or sentiments of how the CO wiki has helped you, please feel free to post your experience here as well.
"Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
Archived CO Wiki site
Post edited by blueionstormz on

Comments

• Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Without the CO wiki, I would have lost interested in the game a long time ago. But there is a lot of secret stuff. Too bad players are no longer encouraged to discover them.
  • Options
    aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I learned everything I know about the game's mechanics from the CO Wiki, as well as much of the game's past. Heck, I wouldn't have known that there were different types of CC holds and that they all worked differently if it weren't for the wiki! XD

Thank you Lohr and everyone else involved for donating your time and effort to help us! Your efforts will not be forgotten.
    Champions: @ace112233
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This sounds suspiciously like a memorial.

Did the wiki go dark for reals and not just a hosting snafu?

edit: it is a memorial.

For the brief time I used it I found it invaluable for finding out what's actually in the game.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How the heck i'm now going to find the right UNITY cave in Lemuria?
    /salute to our WikiMistress and all who helped to make CO Wiki. The Awesomest of all Cryptic games.

CO Wiki isn't gone. It's on hiatus.
    Word from our favorite Forum Mod: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3853491&postcount=22

Now the Ball is on Cryptic's hands. Don't fumble.
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The CO Wiki was really helpful when doing quests. I used it a lot of times during my first days in CO and still am. Well, that is until it went down. It's a shame that new players will have a hard time getting around the game now that the wiki is down.

Nevertheless, to the founder and those who contributed to the wiki, you have my highest gratitude. Your time and dedication weren't in vain. Your information has helped a lot of players in the past. Again, I'd like to express my thanks.

Thank you. :D
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To the CO Wiki founder. Much thanks for the site that became a much used resource for many of us (including transitioning ex-CoX folks like me).
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yup, cheers to Lohr and all the other contributors to the wiki over the years! Fingers crossed for it being revived.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes! Thank you very much for it! Sorry to see it gone :(
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Alas, it truly was a useful resource. Nevertheless, if Cryptic drops the ball on receiving Lohr's files, someone could always start up a new wiki.
  • Options
    amarillonmcamarillonmc Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Alas, it truly was a useful resource. Nevertheless, if Cryptic drops the ball on receiving Lohr's files, someone could always start up a new wiki.

As a former (and still on-going) owner of Touhoumon Wiki, I understand setting up and managing a wiki is a very tiring experience, sad to see it went down.

Hmm...

A wiki isn't something that's easiest to move around. but it is definitely one of the easier ones.
    If I can get hold of the original files and the database, I can set it up again (I got the host, a domain name and skills), however I'm unlikely to have time to edit and manage it myself due to time matters, but I believe somebody here could do a better job than that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...the ultimate Contrast Moe (or not).
  • Options
    c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sadly I doubt anyone would want to start a new wiki, as it took amazing effort from Lohr and her team. Despite that, when I suggested she be given a special forum title and she got one, some players said it was unfair. In fact some douches were so awful about it, that it made her really down and I think in part it caused her departure. You would need Dr Manhattan like patience and Hulk skin to create a new wiki. Hell I wouldn't even want to maintain the old one.
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vizzonevizzone Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It takes a while to load (or it could just be my 'supposed to be high speed but really isn't' internet), but I've checked the Wayback Machine for archives of the wiki. I found about it in the past when another game's wiki got taken down, so decided to check it.

Anyway, here's the link.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I like many others am VERY grateful for the CO wiki, I always referred to it and even helped to add to it, it's a shame it is gone I hope either Cryptic or through another means it is restored to us.

I'd like to say a very big THANK YOU to Lohr and the wiki maintainers and updaters for helping to keep this invaluable resource open for us.

It was truly a great site.
  • Options
    amarillonmcamarillonmc Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    vizzone wrote: »
    It takes a while to load (or it could just be my 'supposed to be high speed but really isn't' internet), but I've checked the Wayback Machine for archives of the wiki. I found about it in the past when another game's wiki got taken down, so decided to check it.

Anyway, here's the link.

Archives are good for manually transferring some of the information, but to do a full transfer database files and wiki files are needed. Lohr should have them, and if the post next door is true, then the devs should too. It's just a mediawiki installation anyways...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...the ultimate Contrast Moe (or not).
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    c3rvand0 wrote: »
    Sadly I doubt anyone would want to start a new wiki, as it took amazing effort from Lohr and her team. Despite that, when I suggested she be given a special forum title and she got one, some players said it was unfair. In fact some douches were so awful about it, that it made her really down and I think in part it caused her departure. You would need Dr Manhattan like patience and Hulk skin to create a new wiki. Hell I wouldn't even want to maintain the old one.

Really? That's just terrible. It confirms my general belief that people are scum if they continue to treat the generous like that.
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Really? That's just terrible. It confirms my general belief that people are scum if they continue to treat the generous like that.

Agreed. :/
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The wiki makes the game mechanics so much easier to deal with, especially for newer players. It is so in PWE/Cryptic's financial interest to have the wiki in place and updated. I really hope they don't drop the ball here.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A shame Lohr's plans to sell the site to one of the mega-wiki companies or sell advertising on it never panned out.

I blame the popularity of the game for that, not the site itself - it was excellent.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm really gonna miss my favorite Wiki Mistress. And like it or not, Lohr, you're gonna get one of these.

hugs_and_kisses_070.jpg
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Was ridiculously useful, for both straightening out lore errata, and making huge-**** guides.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You gotta be kidding me... I needed the wiki to know what lore I was looking for for my lore master character. D: now I have to wait to level her in fear of missing instance lore!
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I said this in the other thread about the wiki when I discovered someone name Lohr had not only constructed the site but had actually funded it out of her own pocket for these last four years. I think it bears repeating:
    guyhumual wrote: »
    Well that's a shame, a company should fund their own online presence, and a wiki is a huge help to players like myself that aren't entirely familiar with the champions universe. I would like to thank Lohr for her work then, and I hope the site comes back at some point, but if not she's clearly already gone above and beyond the call of duty for a CO fan.
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Invaluable resource. Do something.

Have not seen the wikimistress in game for ages. Doesn't fall on her to support the wiki. She only deserves commendation for it being there this long.
  • Options
    toooldforthistoooldforthis Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wanted to chime in.

I am shocked Lohr was paying for hosting out of her own pocket. I strongly doubt that there are any other commercial MMOs (or even MUDs, for that matter) where 90%+ of available documentation relied upon the outright charity of an individual player.

Yes, much of the wiki was out of date. Yes, there should have been an effort to expand the user base to update it; an accurate wiki relies upon volunteer work. However, it was the one shining light in the vast darkness that each of CO's owners and developers have left over the game. (What other game would not bother updating the text on the transition screens to describe the names of the roles post On Alert. Come on.)

Getting the wiki back up online easily trumps any other development, bug fixes, or content. It's that high of a priority.
  • Options
    gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have to agree. Getting the wiki back up should be high priority (which should be easy now that Lohr's sent the files to the devs)-hopefully some time this month (now that the holidays are done). Everything else can follow afterwards.
  • Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The CO wiki was an example of how some people are just amazing. To do such a thankless job and for so long makes lohr an awesome person in my book. That said, Cryptic that wiki needs to get back up ASAP!
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The wiki being gone makes me :frown:

No wonder I couldn't find it earlier when I went to go look up something... Look, I know it was getting outdated, I know Lohr was awesome for funding and creating it for so many YEARS, and I know Lohr wasn't a perfect person either (remember when she got forum banned?). But the whole thing is sad, and I wish Cryptic would take the initiative to actually help out, instead of expecting their players to do all of it and fund all of it even.

Thank you Lohr for all your effort, money, and time. It was a resource I used often.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the posts so far, do continue to share your sentiments. Here's hoping the wiki will eventually be brought back when it's plain how "ridiculously useful" it was for all of us.
    "Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
    Archived CO Wiki site
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thats sad news :frown:

However .. big thanks for all the fantastic work that Lohr did for us all in the last years :smile:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    reggyworld27reggyworld27 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gtw891 wrote: »
    To the CO Wiki founder. Much thanks for the site that became a much used resource for many of us (including transitioning ex-CoX folks like me).

This. Thank you so much for running this wiki.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Lohr I salute you o7
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Too many times have I refered to the wiki. It feels like I've taken it for granted. Much thanks to Lohr for keeping it up as long as she did.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited January 2014
    The Wiki has been insanely useful to us on the dev side, too -- Cryptic North, myself, the CM team, and Customer Support, we've all leaned on the wiki for help. We all really appreciate what the Lore Mistress did, and how much of an impact it had on CO.

We're working with Lohr on the files, and we're talking internally about how to get a wiki back up. Thanks everyone who worked on the wiki for so long.

-TrailTurtle
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    When we get to a point that the devs keep being transferred from Champions to another Cryptic game so frequently, never to return, that the CO team needs the wiki because they don't even know their own game. I find the situation to be glorious.
  • Options
    wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The Wiki has been insanely useful to us on the dev side, too -- Cryptic North, myself, the CM team, and Customer Support, we've all leaned on the wiki for help. We all really appreciate what the Lore Mistress did, and how much of an impact it had on CO.

We're working with Lohr on the files, and we're talking internally about how to get a wiki back up. Thanks everyone who worked on the wiki for so long.

-TrailTurtle

Let's just hope that the backup will be up and running soon.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    *snip*

Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2014

-TrailTurtle

Good to hear!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hear that, people. It's comin' back. Everybody Dance!
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    wsmith6079wsmith6079 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you to Lohr and everyone who contributed to such a valuable resource to the community!
  • Options
    edited January 2014

-TrailTurtle
    Thank you for the heads up Trail Turtle. Glad to hear this is under consideration. Appreciate what you and your team are doing for CO.
    Archived CO Wiki site
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited January 2014

-TrailTurtle

Thanks TrailTurtle!

Btw, if you keep us in the loop we might even be able to help out with the updating. There's a lot of untapped talent in this community. :smile:
  • Options
    xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    Thanks TrailTurtle!

Btw, if you keep us in the loop we might even be able to help out with the updating. There's a lot of untapped talent in this community. :smile:

I know! There was so many times I wanted to update that thing but didn't have permission to do it...
  • Options
    smoothroguesmoothrogue Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My thanks to Lohr, for all that she has done to maintain and support the Wiki for all these years. It has been incredibly helpful to me as I've played the game and created new characters. I hope she's been able to ignore negative comments from the naysayers and critics, because her value to the community has been tremendous. Kudos!
  • Options
    stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you Lohr and everyone that worked on the wiki.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014

-TrailTurtle

b861b02c6b245fbb75e3d195612521701387168138_full.jpg
  • Options
    skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I miss Lohr, haven't seen her in years, although i hadn't been around as much as i used to either :(
  • Options
    sgtsubterfugesgtsubterfuge Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So... why is the wiki down? I understand the Lohr hosted it but why did it just go dark. Perfect World, on their A game, would have headed that off at the pass since the last game resource was replaced with CO wiki and now there are no out-of-the-game resources... Supply and demand, I smell and market for some young entrepreneur...
  • Options
    skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So... why is the wiki down? I understand the Lohr hosted it but why did it just go dark. Perfect World, on their A game, would have headed that off at the pass since the last game resource was replaced with CO wiki and now there are no out-of-the-game resources... Supply and demand, I smell and market for some young entrepreneur...

From my understanding, which isn't reliable for this, and i don't know if she began playing again after i last saw her 1 or 2 years ago (cause i rarely log into the game itself now)

Is that she's hosting out of her own expenses, and was maintaining it for us all. i'd speculate it went dark now because simply.. she had to make the choice eventually, especially if she has to pay the bill for it.

As to everything you say after the second sentence... what? especially the last line about a market for this... how? o.O
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd like to throw in my appreciation to Lohr, et al, on the Wiki. It's surely a missed resource now that it's gone.

I'm pleased to see TT and the other CO folk are noticing it's loss as well. Hopefully we can see it restored (and updated!) asap. Please keep the community informed/involved. I expect there would be people willing to help out.

Curiously, how much does it cost to host a wiki? Anyone have an idea?

:confused:
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.