test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fire and Cold: Rimfire Burst?

mashuganamashugana Posts: 87 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Power Discussion
I just got back to CO and Rimfire looks really interesting - I'd love to make a fire/ice theme character. But I cannot see how the synergies work.

What is the basic setup of frost and fire? How can you apply chill AND clinging flames? Or am I looking at it wrong?

Thanks for any advice.
Post edited by mashugana on

Comments

• Options
    jamesbonnelljamesbonnell Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, as a starting point, Frost Breath with advantage instantly applies chill.

There are several good clinging flames powers, my ice character uses Flashfire. But nothing is an instant guaranteed clinging flames that I'm aware of.

So, pick at least those two powers, add a Fire Snake (which also applies clinging flames), and go to town.

Get both on, and the recharge is instant and the effect is AOE. I use that a lot when I can.

I also tend to use Brimstone/Aftershock a lot for the fire patch.
  • Options
    monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Rimefire is probably best when used as a bonus power to a fire/ice build instead of building around Rimefire. Nanobot Swarm and high CD power makes it much more useful. I have DPS Rimefire builds that start off with Ice Shard, Ice Shield, Ice Sheath and do a standard Fire build from there.
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Calico

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Recovery (Primary)
    Level 10: Ego (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Impulse
    Level 6: Brilliant
    Level 9: Indomitable
    Level 12: Academics
    Level 15: Negotiator
    Level 18: Command Training
    Level 21: Field Ops Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Bolts (Energy Refraction)
    Level 1: Personal Force Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 8: Force Geyser (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 11: Field Surge (Rank 2, Power Swell)
    Level 14: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Ice Blast (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Fireball (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 23: Rimefire Burst (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Telekinetic Maelstrom
    Level 29: Immolation (Rank 2, Rank 3, Blazing Body)
    Level 32: Conviction
    Level 35: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 38: Telekinesis

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Flight
    Level 35: Acrobatics

Specializations:
    Recovery: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Recovery: Withstand (2/2)
    Recovery: Rapid Recovery (3/3)
    Recovery: Second Wind (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Make It Count (2/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (1/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
    Mastery: Recovery Mastery (1/1)

Here's my build that works rather well. I used gear and mods to grab all the Cooldown Reduction and +INT (R7 Mods) I could get.

I just hit Fireball and Ice Blast for the effects of Chill and Clinging Flames. Happens often enough and I just hit Rimefire whenever it's recharged.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As others have said, there are a few ways to apply chill and clinging flames guaranteed, but I find that there's always a lag time before the debuffs are processed and put on the target, so you may need to slightly delay firing rimefire after using one of the debuffing powers to make sure the instant cd proc registers (maybe tap fire stike/ice blast a few times in between)

I only use rimefire on one toon now, mainly for its instant burst dps and to keep MSA going (which it re-procs if the instant cd happens). IMO, it limits build options too much to make it the primary source of dps, but it can be one of many potent attacks available to fire/ice that you can rotate in if ya want more flexibility.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For applying Clinging Flames, it looks like Frag Grenade has an advantage that guarantees it, and the power has a low 6-second cooldown. Frost Breath can guarantee it, as well. Seems like a pretty easy cycle. Just imagine Frag Grenade is a firebomb encased in a rock or something. :P
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • Options
    mashuganamashugana Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Perfect - thanks all.