test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

R.I.P. Warhammer Online

tazytazy Posts: 84 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Off Topic
Today the plug is finally pulled on WAR. It is a sad loss, for a game that had much potential and did alot of things right. Sadly, it's huge bugs and imbalances, and switch of game company let the game go to waste. I am honestly surprised it lasted this long.

Still, the game was my -best- mmo experience to date. More fond memories, awesome game moments and lasting bonds have been made in WAR for me than anywhere else, as it was for many.

The people who worked hard to bring the game up and running are having an especially sad day. I am friends with a content developer (Specificly, the one responsible for the nightmarishly steep slope zone of Dragonwake), and his page is filled with comments from his dev family over how sad they are to see their work taken down.

Fare well WAR! Thanks for the only PvP i'v ever enjoyed, and all the memories!
Sersay Swiftblade, Rank 40, RR80 Witch Elf
Servers: Ostermark, Pheonix Throne, Badlands
Guilds: Officer of Hand of Destruction, The Lost and the Damned

My old Handsworn leaders
Again...those dorks
My Witch Elf
Post edited by tazy on

Comments

• cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is sad. Especially considering the source material has MUCH more than WoW does, and it's far less 'cartoony'.

Here's hoping they'll make a 40k MMORPG (And no just a shooter with SPACE MAREEENS AND ORKS LOL).
  • tazytazy Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A montage video a ally of our guild alliance did on our usually dominating PvP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHj6UeTRJV4

Lies and Propaganda alliance productions.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Wow, I've actually completely forgotten that there was a Warhammer Online MMO.

I remember reading up on some news that they were closing down servers that they felt weren't populated enough. That didn't look like a good sign for its future. Then there was the issue of Bright Wizards being too overpowered. Also, maybe the huge focus on PVP didn't work out too well in the end as well.

Anyway there seems to be a WH40K MMO in the works:

http://www.eternalcrusade.com
    edited December 2013
    I could have sworn i'd heard from my content creator friend of that MMO had been dropped before completed. If it's not dead before delievery then perhaps there's hope.

I admit, I had no idea what the Warhammer universe even was before WAR, but since then i'v been in love with the dark setting. i'm more fond of the fantasy setting, but i'v been meaning to try and learn more of 40k...while avoiding space marine boots for being a heretic. :rolleyes:
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2013
    Farewell WAR. While your pvp gameplay was terrible, Tomb of the Vulture Lord was the best dungeon I've had the pleasure of running in all the games I've played.
    edited December 2013
    tazy wrote: »
    I admit, I had no idea what the Warhammer universe even was before WAR, but since then i'v been in love with the dark setting. i'm more fond of the fantasy setting, but i'v been meaning to try and learn more of 40k...while avoiding space marine boots for being a heretic. :rolleyes:

Actually, as far as Warhammer fantasy goes? WAR was a drop in the bucket. There's a whole hell of a lot more, and some far more interesting types of 'classes' than the game could provide.

The same could be said for Warhammer 40k. I've never been a huge fan of Space Marines- as I've had a soft spot for Eversor assassins and I've always like the Imperial Guard. Necrons are also an amazingly cool army.
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2013
    Ah here we go, I made doodles for the message boards over there too.

caw.jpg

hug.jpg

hat.jpg
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    LOL!
    Now i can uninstal it from my hd.
    Not that i never played it.
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Farewell WAR...<looks around>...wait, this isn't August 2009. <giggles>
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • megaspaceplayerxmegaspaceplayerx Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is sad. Especially considering the source material has MUCH more than WoW does, and it's far less 'cartoony'.

Here's hoping they'll make a 40k MMORPG (And no just a shooter with SPACE MAREEENS AND ORKS LOL).

Actually, there is a 40k MMO in the works, but I don't know much about it. There's a broadcasted pen and paper 40k campaign I've been watching on You Tube/Twitch called Rollplay:Dark Heresy. The GM for it has said on multiple occasions that he is part of the content development for the 40k MMO.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
    @X-Hero Game Overed.
    edited December 2013
    Actually, there is a 40k MMO in the works, but I don't know much about it. There's a broadcasted pen and paper 40k campaign I've been watching on You Tube/Twitch called Rollplay:Dark Heresy. The GM for it has said on multiple occasions that he is part of the content development for the 40k MMO.

How recent where those broadcasts?
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Damn, I remember the public tests they were doing way way back at Games Day. I got fifteen minutes to play. I only needed ten before everyone else on the sixteen man play team was dead. :biggrin:

Sigmar's blessings WAR. [Saluteling.]
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I really enjoyed this game a year or so after release, when they had fixed a number of issues.

I'm not normally a bit PvP guy, but the Freeform way of joining raids was very helpful, along with the design that made support types very enjoyable and helpful.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of deep flaws. Among them was the completely unbalanced final tier -- I played to that point, hit the wall of 'hardcore types with insanely better gear', shrugged and moved on.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • lamsbobolamsbobo Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Jennymachx, nice pics from CoH. Oh how I miss those days. STF's and SG meetings and leading. I like Champion's, but CoH had so many memories for me that I will never forget. iI had played the game (CO) before CoH ended, but never could get into it. I was always comparing the two. Seeing your pics only makes me miss it more. :) It is nice to know that you can play a game and make some friends, for life, along the way. I never had a chance to play WAR, but my husband has and liked it.
    edited December 2013
    tazy wrote: »
    How recent where those broadcasts?

That series is recent and on going. I get the *impression* that the 40k mmo is in the very early stages, but I have no idea how correct that is.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
    @X-Hero Game Overed.
    edited January 2014
    well if there's anyone around that still wants to know, I stumbled across the 40k MMO's site.

http://www.eternalcrusade.com/

(Hopefully, I'm not stepping on anyone at Cryptics toes here. I don't mean to, but sorry if I am.)
    @X-Hero Game Overed.
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    With Warhammer shut down, does this mean people are going to stop playing/purchasing games made by EA?
    edited January 2014
    well if there's anyone around that still wants to know, I stumbled across the 40k MMO's site.

(Hopefully, I'm not stepping on anyone at Cryptics toes here. I don't mean to, but sorry if I am.)

Oh look. Space Marines, Eldar, Orks, and Chaos. Because that's what every damned Warhammer 40k game HAS to be.

Aedeptus Sororitas, Assassins, Inquisitors/Daemon Hunters, Dark Eldar, Imperial Guard, Necrons, Tau, and Tyranids will most likely be shoved into the background as useless fodder. AGAIN. You know, despite being far more interesting than Ultramarine army #4392.
  • artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Yeah, I think where things can get confusing is when there are multiple versions of a game and therefore multiple life-spans.

I think the 40K MMO most are thinking off, which was announced in 2007, was Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online by THQ-Vigil. That one did die in 2013, or more accurately, melted when THQ did.

Eternal Crusade is a different game by a different developer, Behaviour Interactive, and yeah, that one is still on.

Not saying that Dark Mill was going to be any more expansive when it came to the 40k lore than Eternal Crusade, just that one would have assumed, back in 2007, Dark Mill would have been the larger game, because of THQ.

So, long story short, Warhammer 40k MMO is both dead and alive, heh : )
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Oh look. Space Marines, Eldar, Orks, and Chaos. Because that's what every damned Warhammer 40k game HAS to be.

Aedeptus Sororitas, Assassins, Inquisitors/Daemon Hunters, Dark Eldar, Imperial Guard, Necrons, Tau, and Tyranids will most likely be shoved into the background as useless fodder. AGAIN. You know, despite being far more interesting than Ultramarine army #4392.

Eh, It is an MMO..it will have PvE. Besides, the Necron and Tyranids are both mostly lack individual identity for their members, it would make playing characters as them in an MMO awkward at best. And the Imperial guard are intentional lower tier humans to the Space Marines and they work mostly by massed numbers so again..awkward to play in an MMO environment. I guess they could work if they where doing a strategy type game where one player could command a group of units and it would be great if they where, but it looks like they are going for an action MMO (like Cryptic's games actually). I'll be happy with it if it plays like that shooter that came out the year before last, that was the best shooter I've played in a while. And they do have 1 faction unannounced too, I'm assuming its the Tau as they are the missing most playable faction.
    @X-Hero Game Overed.
    edited January 2014
    Eh, It is an MMO..it will have PvE. Besides, the Necron and Tyranids are both mostly lack individual identity for their members, it would make playing characters as them in an MMO awkward at best. And the Imperial guard are intentional lower tier humans to the Space Marines and they work mostly by massed numbers so again..awkward to play in an MMO environment. I guess they could work if they where doing a strategy type game where one player could command a group of units and it would be great if they where, but it looks like they are going for an action MMO (like Cryptic's games actually). I'll be happy with it if it plays like that shooter that came out the year before last, that was the best shooter I've played in a while. And they do have 1 faction unannounced too, I'm assuming its the Tau as they are the missing most playable faction.

According to the new source material, Necron Lords/Elites are capable of individual thought and lead their Dynasties into battle.
    edited January 2014
    According to the new source material, Necron Lords/Elites are capable of individual thought and lead their Dynasties into battle.

ya, the same could be said for Tyrannid elites and IG commanders, but they are rather extremely limited in number. I guess you could get away with having them as Player Characters in a tabletop/PnP situation, but it wouldn't make real good sense as PC in an MMO as there would just be too many of them. It would be like a world chalk full of superheroes...oh wait...
    @X-Hero Game Overed.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The problem with Necrons is that they're mindless robots. There's no sense of camaraderie between one Necron Warrior and another as you would expect from in a Space Marine brotherhood or IG regiment. A Necron Warrior or any other unit receives an order from a Lord and follows it without question or thought. That's it. Go to a world, eradicate all life from it. Move to the next world. Playing from the perspective of a Necron unit makes for a seriously unfun concept.

The same goes with Tyranids. Every brood member is just as mindless being part of a single collective hive mind and have only one common goal that is more or less the same as the Necrons.

The Tau are doable as a playable race since they have a level of autonomy despite being under the dominating influence of the Ethereals. Meaningful story arcs can still be written from the perspective of a Fire Warrior for example as he is mindful enough of what he's experiencing, and due to the fact that a Fire Warrior is able to communicate freely with his comrades or superiors.

So the obvious argument then is "why not just play as a commander unit instead?". Well commander units aren't supposed to be plenty in numbers. A WH40K MMO with thousands of players playing commander units would be downright silly considering the source material where you don't get just an army of commander units doing most of the fighting.

Space Marines, Eldar, Orks and Chaos would be the most ideal playable races. I wouldn't mind Tau and Dark Eldar to be thrown into the mix too. The sub-factions for Imperials are too numerous so I would just stick to one.