test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Is this noob really talking in zone?" Chat etiquette question

starflairexstarflairex Posts: 77 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
The quote in my title was said by a player I was teamed up with during a grab alert. I haven't been playing CO for very long so I thought it might be appropriate to ask what the "proper" chat etiquette is for alerts, pve, etc. but more importantly WHY. A lot of folks seem butthurt when you use zone or local chat in places you "shouldn't". Even general opinions and preferences are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Post edited by starflairex on

Comments

• bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Never use zone chat. It only leads to trouble.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • aceretrieveraceretriever Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In alerts: Local.

General player-to-player: Tell, Local.

Private player-to-player: Tell.

Team: Local, Team.

Supergroup: Supergroup.

Game-wide chat, open event spottings: Zone.

At least, that's how I see it.

It's a matter of who you're talking to and who needs to hear it. Wouldn't you find it rude if someone butt into your conversation just to say something that wasn't even directed at your party?
    Champions: @ace112233
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'll use local chat anywhere I please. If someone can't tolerate me saying hello to a friend or complimenting their costume, then they obviously are a whiny little nerd that shouldn't be allowed to play anything other than dolls in his room alone.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Use Local chat when you want to say something to someone standing next to you, don't want to send a PM, and don't want everyone in Zone to hear.

If someone whines about you using Zone in an Alert, they've got way too much time on their hands. Personally, I'm too busy trying to throw out the DPS and avoid dying to pick a special temporary Chat channel in the middle of an Alert. If you can't tolerate my use of Zone, that's your problem, not mine.

Remember that when you're in an Alert, that's a Zone of its own - people in, say, Vibora Bay #1 aren't going to see your chat if you're running A Day At the Mall.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The quote in my title was said by a player I was teamed up with during a grab alert. I haven't been playing CO for very long so I thought it might be appropriate to ask what the "proper" chat etiquette is for alerts, pve, etc. but more importantly WHY. A lot of folks seem butthurt when you use zone or local chat in places you "shouldn't". Even general opinions and preferences are welcome. Thanks in advance!

There's no "rule" that I know of that dictates where you should chat in what instance. Really, anyone that says anything like in the title is just a troll and you should put very little importance into what they have to say.

If there were an etiquette, then someone who's a decent person would politely tell you the rules instead of just start throwing noob around.

Anyways, in Alerts, local isn't always the best option because the team might split up. You should use /teamup.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited December 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Remember that when you're in an Alert, that's a Zone of its own - people in, say, Vibora Bay #1 aren't going to see your chat if you're running A Day At the Mall.

While true, remember that zone chat is global to that zone. So if you say something in Zone while in a Dockside Dustup - Black Fang, everybody in every Dockside Dustup - Black Fang will see it.
    biffsig.jpg
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,582 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Use Zone chat as you see fit except for spamming. Its there to communicate and reach out to other players for answers and what have you.

"Is this noob really talking in zone?" They were probably projecting.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Just ignore people who say stupid stuff like that. That's the proper ettiquette.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If you want to use zone, use it. Just remember that everyone in that alert type will hear it.

Me, I don't like random PM's. If you want to say something, say it out loud.
    same with trading, if I'm asking for a price check. This does NOT mean PM me and start asking if I'm selling it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find the use Zone in alerts odd, but it's not a huge offense. The one that annoys me is getting a Team invited in alerts.'
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    spinnytop is so polite:

Just ignore people who say stupid stuff like that. That's the proper ettiquette.

I just use my Steve Martin impression...

"Well, EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!" :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • starflairexstarflairex Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Haha you guys are funny.

Really though, thank you for the replies. I didn't know zone worked the way it did. There are, for the most part, really helpful and friendly players in game, but I felt like turning to the forum community for this particular question. I feel pretty enlightened and I have a better idea now of how the system works.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'll use local chat anywhere I please. If someone can't tolerate me saying hello to a friend or complimenting their costume, then they obviously are a whiny little nerd that shouldn't be allowed to play anything other than dolls in his room alone.

Not that it ultimately matters but why would you need to use local to directly compliment a friend or say hello to a friend?
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I find the use Zone in alerts odd, but it's not a huge offense. The one that annoys me is getting a Team invited in alerts.'

But....but....we love you Scott :biggrin:

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Normally, the only person who will call another person a noob... is in fact a noob themselves. ;P Alerts can bring out some not so great people. I'm sure we have our share of stories.

The only downside with speaking in zone in an alert is having the team double check whether you are in the team or not. About it. I find it slightly annoying, but meh, it's not that big of an offense.

The true annoyance is when one of two people are carrying out a local conversation in zone, because then I only get to eavesdrop on half of a conversation! :tongue: To be honest, I don't pay attention in zone enough to care...

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    drgmstr wrote: »
    But....but....we love you Scott :biggrin:

Zone just reminds me too much of Elwynn chat ::shudders:: I get bad WoW flashbacks, sorry. :)
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Now I wonder if those alerts have been more chatty than I thought, because I have zone chat disabled.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    moar like "Is this noob really talking to forumites about etiquette?" amirite?
    edited December 2013
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Now I wonder if those alerts have been more chatty than I thought, because I have zone chat disabled.

It's pretty rare that I see talk in zone chat during alerts.

It's usually "GG guys." Sometimes it's complaining that they're never going to kill the boss. One time I saw two people arguing about where they all were, "no, we're doing this," "nuh-uh, we're over here doing that." Neither of them realized they were in different Alert teams talking in the same Zone.

So yeah you're not missing anything.
    biffsig.jpg
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I like to announce how awesome my new boots are in alert zone :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • grengrasgrengras Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I had a 'fun' experience in an alert once. It was one of those alerts which are ridiculously easy when your group know the mechanics but easy to lose if they don't. If I remember correctly it was a Jack alert.

Regardless, every single person on my team was failing to block. When the alert started I had said on teamup channel very politely that the key to it was to block when the yellow sspecial attack popped up from the boss. They ignored me and kept attacking instead of blocking. They were just dying one after the other, and I was having to try to solo the boss as the time went ticking away. I tried again on teamup to get them to understand, and then I tried a third time on local this time not quite as composed or polite.

By this time I was getting quite aggravated. When one of my teammates had died for the 3rd time without listening to me about the block, and the other 3 had all already died twice and were just returning to the fight, I finally had enough. Since the channels of teamup and local had failed to get a response from them I used zone chat to say, "GOD! Why won't you idiots listen to me? BLOCK when Jack is trying to use a special on you damn it!"

Naturally they still failed to block because they truly were idiots. Finally I had enough and disengaged then waited til I was out of combat then exited the alert. A few minutes later I got a tell from some random person who had heard me in zone chat lecturing me about how I shouldn't use zone chat.

I responded, "Why are you complaining? If you know to block then obviously I wasn't talking to you." They then replied, "Are you stupid? Don't you realize that everyone can hear zone chat not just your own team?" And I promptly replied, "Good, the more people who learn about the mechanics now before I have to play with them later the better."

That person promptly stuck me on ignore. I have never been prouder of being put on an ignore list. And then stuck that person on my own ignore just so I never have to deal with that nosey and bossy person again even if they decide to take me off it some day. ;)

Moral of the story is, unless the chat is directed to you then don't worry about it. And if someone is so much of nosey person as to stick themself into other people's business then they aren't worth paying attention to.

As long as you aren't disruptive with your chat usage then you're fine and don't let any bossy and nosey person try to convince you otherwise.
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i ignore people that use the word noob towards other players, and i have never regretted doing so. iI also ignore raciast, homophobes, unrelated political banter, and people that sell cheap crap in zone/trade instead of listing in AH.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jasinblaze wrote: »
    i ignore people that use the word noob towards other players, and i have never regretted doing so. iI also ignore raciast, homophobes, unrelated political banter, and people that sell cheap crap in zone/trade instead of listing in AH.
    Wow, you must have quite the Ignore list! :smile:

And thanks loads, Scott. I had virtually completed repressing the memories of walking through Goldshire because I couldn't ride a horse yet... <shudder>
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have at times switched to zone chat in an alert to complain about someone leeching or being afk...

but if it is to congratulate a team on a job well done, telling people to block when Baron pulls out his doll(also reminding people to pick up his dropped questionite.), or explaining to someone how to use Socrates to exit the map after the rest of the team has bailed on us...I use local chat.

Outside of alerts I occasionally catch myself reading all the dumb stuff that goes on in zone, but usually resist being baited by the trolls. I ignore (and report) only spammers, I have never ignored anyone based solely on their opinions.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,386 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Not that it ultimately matters but why would you need to use local to directly compliment a friend or say hello to a friend?
    So that everyone else knows how cool you think your friend is.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Some people are trying to compensate their lack of intelligence, by acting rude. It is the same thing as irl. But i agree, that it gets annoying real quick. I'm used to calling these people "online cowboys", without actually owning horses irl.

Oh and i threaten them, that i'm going to eat their domestic pets, if it's needed.
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    One time I saw two people arguing about where they all were, "no, we're doing this," "nuh-uh, we're over here doing that." Neither of them realized they were in different Alert teams talking in the same Zone.

So yeah you're not missing anything.

See, this is why I generally use a chat pane with Zone removed from it. Almost nothing worthwhile to see in it, and when there is I have a second rarely needed chat pane with Zone available to check.

Allow me to digress a moment.

If only the game default chat settings on the third tab of Chat options window didn't have "Show message catagory" set to off. It's really an important bit of information to know what channels all this information is coming at you are coming from, yet by default you are left to guess. :confused:

I found this out a while back when I loaded up a new character into the tutorial on PTS to look at system changes at low level when On-alert was first in it's beta. I didn't think to load my preset UI changes, or they weren't avalable perhaps, but I got all confused by people talking all over the place yet in a tutorial zone completely alone. Nobody would answer me back and yet there were people talking around me in several different conversations simultaneously.

Turned out all the chatter I was getting was from about four different custom chat channels I am subscribed too on Live and from a ton of players, not one of whom saw any of my various replies into local or zone on PTS in the tutorial.

On PTS all those custom channels weren't custom hued, so were all white, and "Show Message Catagory" was defaulted off, so I saw all that chatter as if it were local.

It's one of the strangest default settings I know of in the entire game.

The only other one I think is just as weird, is the 'deafult' keybind chord command for swapping fullscreen and windowed modes, Tab+ Shift I think.

Does anyone really need a quick chorded keybind for windowed vs fullscreen, and worse, one that often 'sticks' the tab key if you Alt+ tab, so from then on if you touch enter key it starts toggling fullscreen and windowed mode on you annoyingly, often crashing the entire client?

Digression over. :biggrin:
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Only place I've seen any rules concerning chat is in the Powerhouse Theater when there's a costume contest going on. Generally the hosting people will use Zone Chat so all attending can read the announcements, otherwise talk where you want, if someone doesn't like it that much they'll ignore you.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    fun things you hear in Local in alerts

"this is too slow.lets bail"
    " ok."

half way through an alert.
    oh yes, the Team invites in alerts. just what you need mid combat, abig square in the middle of your screen
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• xmyuikixxmyuikix Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    I like to announce how awesome my new boots are in alert zone :D

But your boots are not awesome. My boots were made for walking and that's what they'll do. Some day these boots will walk all over you. :cool: