test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I bought a Freeform Slot

tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
It's been more than 2 and a half years since I started with Champions Online.

With the Black Friday sale, I decided to finally pull the trigger and buy that Freeform Slot.

It's amazing, this Freeform Slot. I feel like I just put on a Three Wolf Moon T-shirt.
Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I remember getting my first freeform slot. It was awesome. I made a few toons that I played until level 10 or 15 and then deleted--I got a chance to see a wide range of powers I never got to play with before. Finally, I settled into a toon that was a mix of power armor particle damage and celestial healing. Enjoy.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    blueionstormzblueionstormz Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Congrats on taking the step to freeform! It's amazing, isn't it? :smile:
    "Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
    Archived CO Wiki site
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I bought a 4th Freeform Slot.

I'm having the complete opposite experience though... I have no idea what sort of build to make with it...turns out 3 FF characters can cover everything that's fun about this game .-. so now I understand those people with 50+ characters even less.
  • Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »

I'm having the complete opposite experience though... I have no idea what sort of build to make with it...turns out 3 FF characters can cover everything that's fun about this game .-. so now I understand those people with 50+ characters even less.

I have 40 toons and it's about developing a concept, coming up with just the right look, powerset and bio to see that concept come to fruition. To each his own of course, but I'd go mad with just a couple of toons to tinker with.

Also, to the OP : Gratz, you've taken your first step into a larger world! ;)

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Which, in practice, is why I avoid buying character slots (unless it's for nemesis creation). I'll buy one or two FF slots (the second one for nemesis creation), but that will be it.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I have almost 80 characters and probably half of them are Might. Four years of Haymakers never gets old.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I have almost 80 characters and probably half of them are Might. Four years of Haymakers never gets old.

Ya but I already have a behemoth for that u3u

I'm all about actual gameplay... something just looking different isn't enough for me, it also has to play different otherwise I'll always be wondering why I don't just log into the level 40 I already have that plays like that.

If I just want it to look different... costume slots are a lot cheaper than FF slots :tongue:

Speaking of which, now that I have confirmed that more FF slots won't do me much good, I can just start buying costume sets willy nilly... already got two with the zen I had left over after the ff slot.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's been more than 2 and a half years since I started with Champions Online.

With the Black Friday sale, I decided to finally pull the trigger and buy that Freeform Slot.

It's amazing, this Freeform Slot. I feel like I just put on a Three Wolf Moon T-shirt.

Are you that fat guy that likes the Punisher from You Tube you know the one that hangs around with that ginger gnome.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Ya but I already have a behemoth for that u3u

I'm all about actual gameplay... something just looking different isn't enough for me, it also has to play different otherwise I'll always be wondering why I don't just log into the level 40 I already have that plays like that.

If I just want it to look different... costume slots are a lot cheaper than FF slots :tongue:

Speaking of which, now that I have confirmed that more FF slots won't do me much good, I can just start buying costume sets willy nilly... already got two with the zen I had left over after the ff slot.

For me, the fun is in the character concept and looks. Just changing the costume wouldn't get me very far. I have AltADD.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For me, the fun is in the character concept and looks. Just changing the costume wouldn't get me very far. I have AltADD.

What happened to ''Quality over quantity''?
  • Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    wrathsoul1 wrote: »

One doesn't preclude the other.

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

I have several characters whose themes revolve around poo. I threw quality out the window years ago. :biggrin:
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have over 70 on this acct, about 20+ on the other.

Some are AT's I wanted to try.

Some(ok a lot) start out as a RP character and their powers reflect what they are supposed to do, others turn up and get used as RP characters.(ingame and the email stories we have going back and forth)

Others are joke characters.
    Captain Chat Ban- electric/pet master- you try talking with all those pets making noise

Piddles the wonder dog- He has a weak bladder and wind.(powers) That was his entire background that I wrote, my friend jon wrote one for him.

Dr Helen O'heal is a tank, I'm building in support with Compassion.

Others were try and make a combo of 2 power sets work.
    wind/force
    wind/electric
    PA/TK- ack
    mountain/HW- works ok
    mage/gadgeteer- think he's primal magic
    fire/pestilence- healer- otherwise known as Instant aggro
    pestilence/munitions- poison bullets
    darkness/celestial

Some are I wonder if I can do that,
    Hangus- nothing but Telepathy dots- nickel and dime them to death
    Mode 1- FF levelled without gear.
    Mode 2-AT- Grimoire levelling without gear- ack- 2 attacks before 10, next at 30

Considering how many combinations of powers, I don't see how you can make only 3 and say you've done them all.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    Considering how many combinations of powers, I don't see how you can make only 3 and say you've done them all.

You're talking about powers, I'm talking about mechanics. That's how. The majority of the powers in the game are "This power does X damage at Y range to Z number of targets; it is charged or maintained". Mechanically, all those powers are the same, they just have a different graphic.

I don't think in terms like "Okay, this is a fire character, and this other character is an ice character, and this other character is a munitions character" because those three builds could all be essentially the same gameplay experience, with the only difference being the visual effects involved.

To me it's "This is a long range, high dps/burst build with low base survival that depends on cooldowns, mobility, and kill-them-before-they-kill-you to survive battles." Wether that build involves fire, ice, powerarmor, magic, or any other type of attack is irrelevant; the visuals don't matter, the mechanical gameplay aspect is what differentiates it from other builds.

While the game may have many powers, as it turns out the mechanical diversity contained within that selection of powers can be quickly exhausted. And yes, in case you're wondering, theme is definitely important here; all my characters have a theme that they stick to. It's not really fun for me to play a character whose powers are just whackadoo all over the place either. Theme alone however isn't enough for me.

If the powers just looking different is okay for someone else to consider two characters to be different enough from one another, that's fine, and is absolutely a great way to enjoy the game for people who think along those lines. However, I got plenty of that from playing archetypes, and with my freeforms I'm really interested in exploring this game's ability to let players determine the gameplay mechanics of their experience.

If you want to PM me some examples of builds that you think I might enjoy, feel free to do so, because I'm not finding anything new for that fourth slot. Just keep in mind, before you put too much work into it, that all the fairly obvious build types are ones I've already played.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited December 2013
    There are many reasons why to have slight variations of a similar theme with only few powers to change. Like passives or travel powers.

In the end it all boils down to how important is mechanic for your immersion.
    If it's not very important, you will do fin with few FF toons. If it is, you want more slots and either a LTS, or a subscription. YMMV.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, yeah, when you think of everything in incredibly simplified terms, everything's obviously gonna look the same. However, even the difference between 2 of my pa toons is vast. I've got one that does high-debuff sustained dps in a big aoe. A bit more squishy, he's a mob-burning power armor, more based on the war machine than anything. Lots of maintains and toggles. I've got another power armor concept that throws a 20k+ spike every 2 seconds at one thing in particular. It's basically tap a few things, charge something, and melt whatever you're pointing at. Boss killer, with the active survivability to match.

You wouldn't even know they came from the same power set.

Same with the muni vs ice vs fire example. A shatter-themed ice character designed around making constructs and destroying them is going to play WAY different (especially in regards to crowd control, as imo ice is one of the better sets for it) than a typical fire debuff/conflagration spammer.

Personally, my last 40 used fire for debuff and energy returns, ice for dps and cc, and shatter/rimefire burst. I really enjoyed the combination, I'd definitely suggest it. Setting up debuffs, locking everyone in place for the big spike, then mowing everything down with a push of 2 buttons? http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MightyGlacier <- closest to that I've ever experienced in this game.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Are you that fat guy that likes the Punisher from You Tube you know the one that hangs around with that ginger gnome.

I wish I was. He sounds like One Cool Dude. And 1 of those 4 things is true of me.

---

I noticed 2 schools of thought in this thread, which I'm beginning to appreciate:

1. You only need a few Freeforms, as they'll cover every gameplay scenario in game
    2. You want many Freeforms to reflect all the character concepts that you have

As a regular on the Costume Contest circuit, I'm starting to understand now.

You design builds like costumes, but instead of using costume pieces, you use powers.

As an AT player, I bought the 1 Freeform because I have an idea of My Ideal Build.

But now I got the Slot and reading other builds, I totally see why people want more.

I think it's the same reason I've 100 character costumes saved; they're all personalities.

And those 2 schools of thought aside, I'm totally with Biff here:
    I have several characters whose themes revolve around poo. I threw quality out the window years ago. :biggrin:

My biggest CC win was with a Pile of Poo, thanks to the Patriot Act:
    5f0a108c70fe0d2ee03598b7ff08643b?AccessKeyId=4A1C88B207ED6F9B8BD9&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

If I had more than the 1 Freeform Slot, I'd definitely make him.

Btw, Patriot Act holds a huge monthly CC and their Allies hold frequent ones too. Their site:

http://www.co-patriotact.com/costume_contest.html
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
    More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    You're talking about powers, I'm talking about mechanics. That's how. The majority of the powers in the game are "This power does X damage at Y range to Z number of targets; it is charged or maintained". Mechanically, all those powers are the same, they just have a different graphic.

I don't think in terms like "Okay, this is a fire character, and this other character is an ice character, and this other character is a munitions character" because those three builds could all be essentially the same gameplay experience, with the only difference being the visual effects involved.

To me it's "This is a long range, high dps/burst build with low base survival that depends on cooldowns, mobility, and kill-them-before-they-kill-you to survive battles." Wether that build involves fire, ice, powerarmor, magic, or any other type of attack is irrelevant; the visuals don't matter, the mechanical gameplay aspect is what differentiates it from other builds.

While the game may have many powers, as it turns out the mechanical diversity contained within that selection of powers can be quickly exhausted. And yes, in case you're wondering, theme is definitely important here; all my characters have a theme that they stick to. It's not really fun for me to play a character whose powers are just whackadoo all over the place either. Theme alone however isn't enough for me.

If the powers just looking different is okay for someone else to consider two characters to be different enough from one another, that's fine, and is absolutely a great way to enjoy the game for people who think along those lines. However, I got plenty of that from playing archetypes, and with my freeforms I'm really interested in exploring this game's ability to let players determine the gameplay mechanics of their experience.

If you want to PM me some examples of builds that you think I might enjoy, feel free to do so, because I'm not finding anything new for that fourth slot. Just keep in mind, before you put too much work into it, that all the fairly obvious build types are ones I've already played.

work into it?, my builds are half arsed or nothing. For example. see Mode One on "gross stupidity" thread in off topic. That is a half arsed build which relies on hopefully killing things before they get to you.

Smurfer Dude, wind/cold/force and remembering why i don't use energy slide a lot--- wheee.........shiiiiiiiittttt...... into a mob and aggro

Mrowwp- fire and ice- hopes that they get a chill from ice form while burning from fire so she can use rimefire burst.

Yes most of mine are ranged.
    Melee I try to make sure I have get to them, stun them and hurt them. Hopefully before they return the compliment.

I've got 1 that can be described as stun and run, if the groups looks too big, stun them and run away. Not at 40.

Mind you, you can do the opposite with ricochet shot and Plasma beam, aggro them and fire as they come together. Worked great until someone in an alert saw what I was doing and started force blasts acrros them just after I get them bunched.

Support, has heals, debuffs, buffs, its attack is skarns bane and EB. Ends up standing , tanking mobs while frantically healing itself causing more aggro. I forgot to get flight.

• Options
    heilkittyheilkitty Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I only have 1 FF slot I farmed a while ago and I'm really enjoying it. I made an elemtentalist of sorts: a boss killer and part-time nuker with a magical theme. I love the powers I picked and they work awsomely together. Also, standing in a sorcery circle with flight just spells badass:cool:
    I've respecced him several times though. I hate how silvers with FFs can't access the PTS :mad:
    I don't know if you're a min/maxer or if you go for theme- I'm somewhere in between the two. In any case, my advice is to work really, really, REALLY hard on planning the build you want, and to take advantage of the build gurus here on the forum. You don't want to waste too many G or Zen on respecs.
    Other than that, gratz, and enjoy :cool:
    I have several characters whose themes revolve around poo
    Are you by any chance the owner of the monkey girl who throws poo during alerts?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I wish I was. He sounds like One Cool Dude. And 1 of those 4 things is true of me.

I hope said true fact is that you like the Punisher.

Anyway, I'll wait until I get a prepaid card or the required money to snatch a FF slot. Or maybe two (one for the FF, the other for nemesis creation) if the holiday discounts are at least 75%.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Well, yeah, when you think of everything in incredibly simplified terms, everything's obviously gonna look the same. However, even the difference between 2 of my pa toons is vast. I've got one that does high-debuff sustained dps in a big aoe. A bit more squishy, he's a mob-burning power armor, more based on the war machine than anything. Lots of maintains and toggles. I've got another power armor concept that throws a 20k+ spike every 2 seconds at one thing in particular. It's basically tap a few things, charge something, and melt whatever you're pointing at. Boss killer, with the active survivability to match.

You wouldn't even know they came from the same power set.

Yes, PA is a fun set. That's the "high mobility dps/burst" character I mentioned. It does all the PA things in one character :D.

Same with the muni vs ice vs fire example. A shatter-themed ice character designed around making constructs and destroying them is going to play WAY different (especially in regards to crowd control, as imo ice is one of the better sets for it) than a typical fire debuff/conflagration spammer.

Yes, a shatter-themed character will play differently from pretty much all other dps characters due to the whole setup thing. It is a good example of one of the few unique mechanics in the game.

Notice how you had to go to ice again? How about muni vs lightning vs fire vs wind vs infernal? All those sets are essentially the same thing with different graphics. Wind should be different, but repels just don't make enough of a difference due to nearly every npc in the game being a melee/ranged hybrid.
    Well, yeah, when you think of everything in incredibly simplified terms, everything's obviously gonna look the same.

I'm looking at the game as it is. As it turns out, the Freeform system isn't actually all that complex.

It comes down to personal objective. Some peoples' objective involves having characters who look different, without being concerned if they play the same or not. My objective is to have characters who play as differently from one another as possible; looking different is a guaranteed side effect.

:cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I hope said true fact is that you like the Punisher.

Anyway, I'll wait until I get a prepaid card or the required money to snatch a FF slot. Or maybe two (one for the FF, the other for nemesis creation) if the holiday discounts are at least 75%.

They just had a 50% off sale... you really think they're gonna go 75% off a month after that? >.>;
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    They just had a 50% off sale... you really think they're gonna go 75% off a month after that? >.>;

That's because of Black Friday. Chances are: of course they'll do that, but with 50% instead.

And you could've just edited your post instead of double posting.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited December 2013
    5f0a108c70fe0d2ee03598b7ff08643b?AccessKeyId=4A1C88B207ED6F9B8BD9&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Uhh... Frankly? Those pictures are good reason why I never waste time for costume contests in CO.
    They have rarely anything to do with superhero or comic book themes.

The only CC worth of my attention was a CORP one.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Uhh... Frankly? Those pictures are good reason why I never waste time for costume contests in CO.

Well, the themes were "Worst" and "Halloween". How often do those come up?

Hint: "Not often" and "Annually".

Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Four ff slots???

Why wouldn't you just wait for a lifetime sale?

Boggles my mind.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Four ff slots???

Boggles my mind.

Because I don't want to spend the money.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    rainonparade1292539657.jpg?w=460&h=368

Was someone saying CO sucks? Let's get them and beat them up! :O
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    heilkitty wrote: »
    Are you by any chance the owner of the monkey girl who throws poo during alerts?

Nope, but I am the owner of a monkey hero who throws poo named Angry Turds.

Yep, I stopped going to them when I realized they were more "costume creator contests." They like to see costume pieces used in clever and unintended ways to create, usually, anything but superheroes.

I've only seen a few contests where I saw people where I thought "Hey, now that looks like a really cool superhero."

In my opinion, there shouldn't be categories like catgirl, demonic, angelic - it would be more like brick, vigilante, villain, blasters.

Now, before people start piling on with "well hold your OWN contests if that's what you want to see!" nope, I don't want to, and I don't care. It's just my opinion. What you guys do is fine, doesn't affect me in any way.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    You guys should come to Conquer costume contests. No categories, no snobby judging priorities, just "that costume looks cool, it's a winner".
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    You guys should come to Conquer costume contests. No categories, no snobby judging priorities, just "that costume looks cool, it's a winner".

That's because Nepht is lazy!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Posts: 442 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Too bad I missed the one oportunity where FFs aren't ridiculously overpriced :(
    I guess I?ll have to wait for next year then XD
    natesig.jpg

• Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Notice how you had to go to ice again? How about muni vs lightning vs fire vs wind vs infernal? All those sets are essentially the same thing with different graphics. Wind should be different, but repels just don't make enough of a difference due to nearly every npc in the game being a melee/ranged hybrid.

Sure. Muni tends to be closer ranged, has non-lockdown maintains which you can abuse with aoe patches to a good effect. orbital cannon/gravity drive/2 gun mojo is hilarious in combination. use the 2 guns to pull stragglers into the vortex of death.

Lightning has a ton of fire and forget. Ball lightning, sparkstorm, sigils if you feel like it... Push 3 buttons for instant energy, then use your choice of line of effect blast, or aoe beatdown, to finish your opponent.

Wind: Repels with a baby force cascade. Plays exactly the opposite of infernal, since half the point is keeping people out of arm's reach.

infernal: draw em in, debuff em, and let the dots do the work. My main's infernal, and if you build it right, you're downright unkillable as well as doing massive pbaoe damage. Works best right in the thick of things. All of which is the opposite of:

fire: Debuff city. Half of the fun of a fire character is you make just about everyone around you hit harder. Which is great, since you're made out of tissue paper. Compared to wind or infernal (and often muni) this is a kiting set.

IMO, these are all vastly different. the shape of your attacks, the way you utilize them... 2 of em run in and drop pbaoes, but one keeps the enemy away and scatters people as a rule (cc heaven, a lot of the time) but the other has powers specifically to pull people close to you and group them up into a neat pile for easy murder. fire and lightning could be said to be similar, but fire has no gigabolt, and tap spamming zappy doom is really underrated. and muni? Half of the time muni plays like a melee set with identity issues.

Of my 14 40s, not a single one of em plays anything remotely near the rest. but I can see where you're coming from, the game really heavily rewards "blast, aoe, cone, 2 defensives, 2 offensives, self heal" cookie cutters. They can seem really same-y.

Edit: as for the cc thing?

Listen, ccs happen every few hours, every day of the week. If every category were just super hero based, we'd get REAL bored with em. For years there with spear, we were doing at least 6 categories that were super-heroic as a theme. Same 10 categories, every week. You know what? We started seeing the exact same stuff every single week like clockwork. There's a reason why with Firewatch we switch things up a ton. But as for the "it's never comic based" 4 weeks ago I had a cc that was reimagining archetypes. a few days ago we had a cc themed around making cool villains. I've got a serious tech and retro fetish, so we've done tech and retro heroes about 3 times in the last few months.

Also, if you ask around? I win a fair to large amount of ccs. *every single costume I have* is thematic for my characters, and based around super heroics. I'm not sure where this impression comes from, but it's more than easy to win a cc with a super hero.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Four ff slots???

Boggles my mind.

probably because CO's ONE LTS sale was 20% off for the 1st anniversary.
    we don't have them every 3 or 4 mths like STO has, with 1/3 off the price