test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Become Again

sqroxsqrox Posts: 11 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
So I meant for it to be like "Become Knight:Black,White" so you mean't the Horse Riding travel power won't work? I thought it will be like this : The Travel power would be Horse Teleportation or Horse Flight so its very simple but it would be cool if we have that become. The Knight Become would have Melee powers with a dark sword or something like that as you can see http://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1337/39/1337394698628.jpg I thought it would be like that. Thank you for your time!
Post edited by sqrox on

Comments

• Options
    kelplanktonkelplankton Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What are you even talking about?

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited November 2013
    Quit it finally or put it in the right forum section.

Also, CO has already too much fantasy cheap stuff inside. Love it that much? Go play Never(mind)winter.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Guys its obviously one of our younger players wanting a horse like we have seen in Neverwinter. There is no reason to be a BEEP to him or her.

Horses would not fit the game, I cant see it happening but hey who knows stranger stuff has happened.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Yeah the same 'tech' that they need to make the horses is also what we need to make ground vehicles, and people have been crying out for actual motorcycles longer than horses. We were told that it wasn't feasable.

But yeah, overall... I'm not sure how much support you could drum up for a horse if the tech were actually there. A lot of people have a bad taste in their mouth about things like that for 2 reasons:

1- CO already has a disgusting amount of 'fantasy' crap shoved into the setting. About half of this game feels like Harry Potter, and it's already bad enough that the game comes off like it's making fun of comics. (CO is the 1960's Batman television show).

2- CO lost devs and support to Neverwinter, and if you go to the Neverwinter community you'll find that we aren't well-received there, so the general attitude is 'keep that garbage on your side of the fence'.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Given every single vehicle is 'super tech', the 'too much fantasy' is very much opinion.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Given every single vehicle is 'super tech', the 'too much fantasy' is very much opinion.

That whole 'vehicle' thing is a little too much. The THEME of a vast majority of the game is fantasy/mystical, and I wouldn't chock that up to 'opinion'. I could make a list, but it's not worth the time. I just know that most of my gameplay experience is as follows.

"Oh, look. ANOTHER adventure pack where I'm dealing with some Quiptholothithoptic crap."

"Oh, look. My final map reduces me to Buffy the Vampire slayer. How quaint."

"Oh, look. VIPER is in fact motivated by some mystical entity after all. More magic. Whoop."

Magic, magic, magic EVERYWHERE. Because when someone is a lazy writer in the comics world, the easiest tool to grab is magic because it can magic things without explaining them because magic.

(Sorry, went wild there. Main gripe with this game, aside from its lazy writing.)

Besides, long before the game needs more fantasy, since you believe 'Super tech' is too prevalent (And I'm inclined to agree- too MUCH tech cheapens the cool tech), most people have been asking for contemporary tech like motorcycles and cars.
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Also, CO has already too much fantasy cheap stuff inside. Love it that much? Go play Never(mind)winter.

I think there's at least some grounds for a knight type character option its not like there unusual in comics
  • Options
    plasmonalithplasmonalith Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That whole 'vehicle' thing is a little too much. The THEME of a vast majority of the game is fantasy/mystical, and I wouldn't chock that up to 'opinion'. I could make a list, but it's not worth the time. I just know that most of my gameplay experience is as follows.

"Oh, look. ANOTHER adventure pack where I'm dealing with some Quiptholothithoptic crap."

"Oh, look. My final map reduces me to Buffy the Vampire slayer. How quaint."

"Oh, look. VIPER is in fact motivated by some mystical entity after all. More magic. Whoop."

Magic, magic, magic EVERYWHERE. Because when someone is a lazy writer in the comics world, the easiest tool to grab is magic because it can magic things without explaining them because magic.

(Sorry, went wild there. Main gripe with this game, aside from its lazy writing.)

Besides, long before the game needs more fantasy, since you believe 'Super tech' is too prevalent (And I'm inclined to agree- too MUCH tech cheapens the cool tech), most people have been asking for contemporary tech like motorcycles and cars.

Well to be fair, VIPER exist because of the god Nama, which is a mystical entity whom empowered Vipera and the Supreme Serpent.
    If I understood the lore, most of the first generation heroes are also of mystical origin.
    Concerning the adventure packs and comic series, we had one against DEMON, one against VIPER, a CS that bind those two and an unrelated CS concerning an alien invasion with the introduction of Cyberlord in the game.

So yes, there's a lot of magic in the game in general.

Then again I'm quite frankly against any addition of vehicles but that's an opinion :)
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited November 2013
    Yeah the same 'tech' that they need to make the horses is also what we need to make ground vehicles, and people have been crying out for actual motorcycles longer than horses. We were told that it wasn't feasable.

Unfortunately, yeah -- with the addition that horses and any other legged ground vehicles would be even harder to animate. It'd be cool to have this, but a horse travel power/vehicle isn't very likely.
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Unfortunately, yeah -- with the addition that horses and any other legged ground vehicles would be even harder to animate. It'd be cool to have this, but a horse travel power/vehicle isn't very likely.

Then update the engine! *overly comical pouty face*
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Maybe the horse could be unanimate thing?
    deadhorse.gif
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    ninten92ninten92 Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well, we've had bird-themed bikes and jets....

Why not a flying horse hoverbike? Horse-head on the front with a gun cannon in it's mouth!

(With a lance-launcher gun with animations borrowed from TK Lance)
    Just another average RPer, costume part collector, and tabletop gamer.

Looking for a lore-based Superhero RPSG? Why not http://earth-guard.shivtr.com/
    ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    Then update the engine! *overly comical pouty face*

Precisely, do not focus on what isn't currently possible but on making that possible. All this, "But Captain, the engine canna take it!" stuff is cute and all but it's a MMO engine and that engine was used on the other side of the building to make ground vehicles. Take them a box of doughnuts and get them to share the information on how they did with the Cryptic Engine what apparently cannot be done for CO.

Our dev team are X-Pirates...so get to looting. Arr! :biggrin:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    with the updated version of the cryptic engine. One of the devs actually said at one point, STO & NW are running on newer versions than CO.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ninten92 wrote: »
    Well, we've had bird-themed bikes and jets....

Why not a flying horse hoverbike? Horse-head on the front with a gun cannon in it's mouth!

(With a lance-launcher gun with animations borrowed from TK Lance)

HORSEBIKE! Not as insane as it sounds folks.

monarch-horse-bike.jpg

There are such things in RL :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    with the updated version of the cryptic engine. One of the devs actually said at one point, STO & NW are running on newer versions than CO.

I am sure there is more involved than just swapping the builds, as CO is, for all intents and purposes, drastically different from STO and Neverwinter. There would undoubtedly be a lot of under the hood changes required to the engine build in order to make it compliant for CO. It's not an excuse, per se, but a fact of the matter. A lot of work, and I am sure they are doing it one step at a time. After all change character option which was just recently added, and such, to allow for such things.

It's the same with the Foundry. While they've repeatedly said the Foundry would technically work in Champions, they've also said that Champions itself is not ready for the Foundry, as all the objects in Champions would have to be retagged, not to mention new maps created for champions, to get the basic system working as is.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Tech needed for ground/animal vehicles isn't even present in STO.
    Only NW version of the engine has it.
    STO physics isn't really different than CO one.

I guess it was made especially for NW.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Tech needed for ground/animal vehicles isn't even present in STO.
    Only NW version of the engine has it.
    STO physics isn't really different than CO one.

I guess it was made especially for NW.

There is quite a bit of differences between the STO and the CO engine at present. The UI functionality for one, just to name one basic thing, but on top of that, STO allows for shooter mode, something that CO doesn't have the capability to do, as well as dodging and so forth from specific attacks.

Now, while the differences between STO and CO aren't as large as say, CO and Neverwinter, there are enough differences and the build differences alone that you can't actively take STO and play it in CO and vice versa.

I am certain one of the task that Cryptic North has before them is actually updating the engine. I can only hope part of that update also includes revamping the UI, because Champions UI is too bulky and clunky, IMO.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,605 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Not to mention the "newer" Cryptic engine seems to be a dumbed down version of what CO has.

CO needs its own tech as it plays drastically different than the other games. It deserves to have this tech built from the ground up.

I'm tired of asking for tech from the other games. They should be asking US for tech that is unique to CO.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Not to mention the "newer" Cryptic engine seems to be a dumbed down version of what CO has.

CO needs its own tech as it plays drastically different than the other games. It deserves to have this tech built from the ground up.

I'm tired of asking for tech from the other games. They should be asking US for tech that is unique to CO.

I don't get your point of dumbed down. CO is the easiest game of the lot to play, with STO being only slightly harder in ground combat and Neverwinter definitely being much harder than Co as far as content goes.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,058 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Not Even for ROBOT/CYBORG/MECHANICAL Horse? which FLY by using JetBoots on their Hooves? :frown: or METAL WINGS!

Come one, a Star Sheriff/ KNIGHT need his Loyal Stallion!

Robot_Horse.jpg
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    avianos wrote: »
    Robot_Horse.jpg

I...

Are...

Are those machine gun nostrils on that horse?

That's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I just had a wargasm.
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I would like to have a Pegasus. For all my Black Knight fantasies.

Also a jousting lance that shoots laser beams.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Guys its obviously one of our younger players wanting a horse like we have seen in Neverwinter. There is no reason to be a BEEP to him or her.
    Seconded.
    298f8f6c2d47364df444e5655c626cbd1358129243.jpg
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    HORSEBIKE! Not as insane as it sounds folks.

monarch-horse-bike.jpg

There are such things in RL :P
    Is this yours, Nepth? Is this how you get around in RL?

{ really wants to believe this }
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Hmm... Well, since there are angel wings, would a Pegasus-like creature be easier to create?
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    There is quite a bit of differences between the STO and the CO engine at present. The UI functionality for one, just to name one basic thing, but on top of that, STO allows for shooter mode, something that CO doesn't have the capability to do, as well as dodging and so forth from specific attacks.

Now, while the differences between STO and CO aren't as large as say, CO and Neverwinter, there are enough differences and the build differences alone that you can't actively take STO and play it in CO and vice versa.

I am certain one of the task that Cryptic North has before them is actually updating the engine. I can only hope part of that update also includes revamping the UI, because Champions UI is too bulky and clunky, IMO.

Those differences are mostly UI based. Apart of that STO engine is also newer and more refined.

STO shooter mode is built with similar trick you can set (in a very imperfect way) in CO when you are picking targets with reticle + STO is doing manipulation with camera angles and reticle overlay.

But even UI is built with a similar method. There was discussion in STO forums what it was so labor consuming to give players more than one color option for UI. The same is the root of CO problem with UI causing graphical lag in tailor mode.

But how physical models are interacting with maps, their weight and positioning on maps, works in a similar way in both CO and STO. There is no tech for models weight and their position following ground angle in both STO and CO versions of engine. Easiest to observe in DS9 - their models also can't follow ground exactly, their vertical axis is always the same no matter how ground surface is shaped.

This one thing was updated for NW. Their version of Cryptic engine has enough support for physics to make ground mounts possible. Same goes for fully working rag dolls.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lol @ page 1. Uhm... Everyone does remember that literally all of our super powers are a result magic, right?
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    borg10f9borg10f9 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lol @ page 1. Uhm... Everyone does remember that literally all of our super powers are a result magic, right?

Not sure I follow. Most of my 40+ toon's powers are a result of science or science gone wrong. One gets her power from a magical amulet/necklace. Another is the result of a spell on an enchanted sword. Two of them are empowered by a celestial entity (one as an avatar). Two have the "Alien to this world, so I have weird powers" origin (ala Superman).

I agree with the Tony Stark philosophy of "Magic is just science that no one can explain yet". That is, until you get to the heavy hitters of the cosmos (the creator of existence's power is far above magic, I'd say).
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    borg10f9 wrote: »
    Not sure I follow. Most of my 40+ toon's powers are a result of science or science gone wrong. One gets her power from a magical amulet/necklace. Another is the result of a spell on an enchanted sword. Two of them are empowered by a celestial entity (one as an avatar). Two have the "Alien to this world, so I have weird powers" origin (ala Superman).

I agree with the Tony Stark philosophy of "Magic is just science that no one can explain yet". That is, until you get to the heavy hitters of the cosmos (the creator of existence's power is far above magic, I'd say).

As I understand it, most of anything that's considered "super", such as super powers, super science, or super technology, in the world of Champions, is possible because of magic. So those technical advancements that somehow made your character super, couldn't have happened without magic.

I could be wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in.

Things of extraterrestrial origin, I dunno.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    All the super powers, super science and stuff originate from the magic in Champions universe.
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    As I understand it, most of anything that's considered "super", such as super powers, super science, or super technology, in the world of Champions, is possible because of magic. So those technical advancements that somehow made your character super, couldn't have happened without magic.

Which is why I play an extradimensional character. I think magic is generally a terrible concept to throw around in a setting like this, mainly because of how it's roleplayed or used to get someone out of a corner they've written themselves into.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

They aren't exactly because of magic, but magic is both a reason for weakened laws of reality, and a first symptome for them being weaker on Champions Earth.

It can be bypassed in character origin with both extradimensional or extraterrestial origins, though.

But one thing here needs to be corrected.
    VIPER is not a mystical organisation, and Nama is not a real deity.
    While he can grant supernatural powers, he's more a very old and very wise non-human mage. Hence he's not affected by the Ban nor his strength is affected by number of his worshippers.
    He's powerful more in a way how Takofanes is. They are both powerful beings using magic, but not deities nor even planar lords.

VIPER takes Nama as their religion, but in the end they aren't more magical than any religion-driven organisation in real world. They do have magical department, but they have also technology and military departments, magic being only a one more weapon at their disposal.

They are more a kind of "if it does boom, we will use it whatever it is" type guys.
  • Options
    somethingwitty94somethingwitty94 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's actually because of Science.

Ancient protohumans were altered by a highly-advanced race of aliens known as the Progenitors, which is responsible for humans being able to develop superhuman powers in the first place. Then, magic came along and weakened the laws of reality to the point that superpowers were both common and more powerful. Even before the Nazi ritual, superpowers were a thing, they were just rare and rather weak in comparison to today.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You can totally point to the progenitors, and you'd be right. That was the birth of powers. But *super* powers, as we know em? Come on, our entire gaming universe is a result of nazi witchcraft. That's hilarious enough that I'd rather not consider all of the rest of the details.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine