test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Perk Points Suggestions

dragonfist8dragonfist8 Posts: 82 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Suggestions Box
Are any ideas being thrown around about using the perk points for anything in the near future? If not....why? A few interesting things to do with them would be to perhaps make some kind of perk point store, in which the player can spend the well earned perk points on things such as items, vehicles maybe, also old costume pieces that they have taken out of the game and probably even some new aura's that will soon be released as well. This being done will allow players once again to enjoy earning perks and also giving them more of a reason to actually play the game, instead of standing around waiting for alerts to pop up, or complaining about the lack of new content (which is still true in some ways, but as you can see, more and more is being released all of a sudden within a short period of time)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This topic seems to come up every so often from what I've seen... and it's my understanding that incorporating a perk point store of some kind is actually quite a bit more of a hassle than it's really worth.

There are all sorts of complications to consider.
    • New Items
    • Limited Perk Points
    • Expendable/Reusable
    • Meaningful Rewards & Pricing

Lets look at each of these in a little more detail.

New Items: Will we see new items added to the perk store over time? If so how will they be handled?
    Imagine if you will that you've spent all your perk points and can't earn any more. A new item get's added to the store that you just absolutely must have, but you have no more perk points and no way of obtaining more. Can this system be justified when possibilities like this exist? Probably not, which inevitably means such a store would have a limited stock of items and never expand.

Limited Perk Points: I sorta already touched on this one with New Items... This also means there might not be any reusable or consumable items... so moving on...

Expendable/Reusable: Put simply, can we spend perk points multiple times, or are they one time use. Both have pros and cons...
    Expendable
    Pro: Limited resource means rewards can be desirable items.
    Con: Limited resource means no new items or forced to make difficult choices and not be able to get everything eventually.
    Reusable
    Pro: All items can be obtained, store is now more of a tier unlock system
    Con: Rewards may not be all to desirable

Meaningful Rewards & Pricing: In any sort of rewards/store system the point value must be meaningful... you don't want your highest value items to be stuff nobody wants... but at the same time you also don't want your low and mid range items to be worthless either...

This is only a handful of things that must be considered with a system like this...

Honestly I'd rather just see the arbitrary point value of perks done away with or have some sort of tier'd reward system that offers useful rewards to the player automatically upon reaching predetermined point values.
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    and these are all good points, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a perk point store so much as SOMETHING to do with perk points instead of watching the number of points you earn grow with nothing at all to do with them.

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Maybe Perk Points could be turned into the Recognition Tokens.
    .....wait.....:redface:
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    No not recog, for that is something else entirely, but definitely some sort of gain from it to bring more of a purpose for gathering perks in the first place. Not to mention, it will allow players to feel the need to accomplish more in game content.

• Options
    ninten92ninten92 Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hmm, I have a suggestion.

Maybe if there was a way to re-integrate the old crafting system's costume parts, action figures, and Power Replace items into a Perk Points store, it would encourage points being spent?
    Just another average RPer, costume part collector, and tabletop gamer.

Looking for a lore-based Superhero RPSG? Why not http://earth-guard.shivtr.com/
    ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    or we could go back to the old perk point rewards which were removed before On alert.

Like the costumes for 5k kills,
    wild things and some other c-store costume set, now have those costumes
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    tau41tau41 Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Originally, the perk points were a currency. I'm not even sure that made it live or if the vendor was just a hold over or whatever.

Then the perk points nothing, but when you got the appropriate perk, you automatically got whatever was tied to it. I think it still works like this, but I really don't know.

Then On Alert happened and there's a bunch of players now who have no idea of everything that's already happened in the game so they come on here with what they think are new ideas. ;p
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I like the idea of a perk store. A way around the limited perk points are to make item account unlocks. Then all you would have to do is start a new character and start earn perks again. Or keep the prices lower.

It would be a great place to put old costume unlocks that are not currently available.

Only problem I see is, do we need yet another store to go along with the several other we have already? Though at least this one would deal with points already built into the game.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Why we don't simply convert ALL of the perk points you gained with each character into Questionite and transfer all that Q to the character you play with the most often?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    1 Q per 1 PP?
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tau41 wrote: »
    Originally, the perk points were a currency. I'm not even sure that made it live or if the vendor was just a hold over or whatever.

Then the perk points nothing, but when you got the appropriate perk, you automatically got whatever was tied to it. I think it still works like this, but I really don't know.

Then On Alert happened and there's a bunch of players now who have no idea of everything that's already happened in the game so they come on here with what they think are new ideas. ;p

You still get certain unlocks from certain perks (the ones for killing 1000 & 5000 of any given type of bad guy mostly) I got a Viper Helmet that way, which is cool because the only other way to get it is from a costume pack...and that is literally the only piece from that set that I wanted.
  • Options
    wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    1 Q per 1 PP?
    moustache.gif

Why not. I mean, at the moment, what's the point of the Perk Points if you have nowhere to spend it on?
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tau41 wrote: »

That's exactly what happened with the perk points.

And why there's still that utterly useless vendor of 'converting old items into the newer ones' is still standing around, despite being a waste of space for like 3 years.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It would be cool if they worked out the perk points like they did the vet rewards. After you hit a certain amount, you get a nifty title and some items (Or Questionite). The idea is kinda meta for earning titles for earning titles, but I think it would be great to single out and reward people who actually play the game. That way works around the problems of it being a "store."