test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rate my build

zo1tanzo1tan Posts: 5 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Power Discussion
I am not into PVP, so this is a PVE build. I run in brawler mode but I actually can tank because of the 2 active defenses. I do not have an active heal, but I get a decent amount of healing from Rush of battle and enrage advantage.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Dr. Black

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Master
Level 6: Covert Ops Training
Level 9: Survival Training
Level 12: Paramilitary Training
Level 15: Physical Conditioning
Level 18: Acrobat
Level 21: Martial Focus

Powers:
Level 1: Infernal Bolts
Level 1: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Supernatural Power
Level 8: Vicious Cyclone (Rank 2, Vortex Technique, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 11: Pounce
Level 14: Unstoppable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Enrage (Endorphin Rush, Giant Growth)
Level 23: Massacre (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Parry (The Elusive Monk)
Level 29: Unbreakable (Better You Than Me)
Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
Level 35: Lock N Load
Level 38: Masterful Dodge

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Swinging (Rank 2, Rank 3, Flippin')
Level 35: Blazing Speed (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Aggression (2/2)
Strength: Brutality (2/2)
Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)
Post edited by zo1tan on

Comments

• Options
    braxzanabraxzana Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    If you swap out one of your active offense/defenses, then you could get Inexorable Tides from martial arts --- Pounce into a pack of foes, then legsweep them all with Inexorable Tides and then a fully charged Roomsweeper as they are getting back to their feet. They SHOULD be knocked ~up~ instead of ~away~, which is handy for a melee-centric build.

Not sure how you'd apply a bleed to a lot of folks (not too familiar with AoE bleeds, but likely a single or dual-blade attack).... but if you can get them bleeding reliably, you could swap out Rank 3 of Devour Essence for Phlebotomist advantage, which (if memory serves) increases the healing it provides.

If you don't need the healing, or don't want to bother with applying bleeds first, then Rank 3 should be good, of course. :)

Oh, Pounce should probably have Nailed to the Ground on it or else you won't be able to hurt fliers/distant foes except with energy builder --- Vicious Cyclone has a pretty small range.

I'd also move Accelerated Metabolsm to some other advantage (even a travel power rank); I have never been impressed with that advantage.

Of course, looking again, you might have energy issues... I am not too familiar with the new Enrage mechanics, but even if it gives you energy on an attempted knock (from Roomsweeper/Vicious Cyclone) I'm not sure that's going to be enough energy.

Aaaand I just spotted Supernatural Power... it's rough trying to post while avoiding the Boss. ;)

Supernatural Power may be enough energy, esp with maintains like Devour and Cyclone.

To each his own, but I'm not sure I'd invest so many points into travel powers. :)

You might also check Lock N Load to make sure it will augment your damage; I may be mis-remembering "the good ol' days" but I thought it only boosted "technology" powers' damage?
  • Options
    bravehoptoadbravehoptoad Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Heh. I just made my first FF build and it looks kinda like this but tankier (posted in Builds forum tho).

I'm wondering about ranking the damage on Vicious Cyclone. It's ranged toxic, so it doesn't seem to be stacking with anything in your build, so it would be there just for the special effects and not the damage, right? Poison, knock-to, maintaining Enrage. You've got Roomsweeper for damage. I agree with braxana, I'd put those points into Nailed to the Ground.

If you're using Vicious Cyclone enough to reliably poison people, you might want to get the Phlebotomist advantage on Devour Essence.

Lock n Load will work, but I'm wondering why you took it over Aggressor or Intensity?

It's a shame not to have a bleed in there somewhere to take advantage of the bleed extension on Massacre. I guess the most reliable way to apply bleeds is Submachinegun Burst with Aggression, but that's a hard one to fit into a lot of build concepts.

Looks like a fun build to play. Maybe that's why mine looks kinda similar :-P
  • Options
    zo1tanzo1tan Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the feedback. Vicious Cyclone was a must for my character's theme. It also does a good job building stacks of enrage and knocking annoying henchman around. For Flyers, I usually hit pounce and then use vicious cyclone on the way down to pull them with me ... it actually looks pretty cool to me.

I had Vile Lariat with the 100% bleed advantage, but the heal on DE scales with pre and even at 150%, rank 3 was better than taking the advantage. Massacre is my single target knock to refresh enrage. just a tap between DE is enough to keep 8 stacks going.

after playing a bit I realized that this build would be more suited to tank. I have changed passives to defiant and swapped a few of the active offense/defenses around.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Dr. Black

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Master
    Level 6: Covert Ops Training
    Level 9: Survival Training
    Level 12: Paramilitary Training
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning
    Level 18: Acrobat
    Level 21: Martial Focus

Powers:
    Level 1: Infernal Bolts
    Level 1: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Supernatural Power
    Level 8: Vicious Cyclone (Rank 2, Vortex Technique, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 11: Pounce (Crippling Challenge, Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 14: Defiance (Rank 2, Force of Will)
    Level 17: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Enrage (Endorphin Rush, Giant Growth)
    Level 23: Massacre (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 29: Unbreakable (Better You Than Me)
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 35: Aggressor
    Level 38: Resurgence

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Swinging (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Blazing Speed (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)