test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone know a way to get good damage from lifedrain?

gradiigradii Posts: 11,716 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Power Discussion
enough to use it as a main attack in a hybrid build? I have a concept for an energy vampire toon (preferably with shadow form) but I really have not been able to get lifedrain to do decent damage.

maybe dark transfusion? crits? specs? a combination?and how would I best pull that off if that's the case?

I really don't like using devour essence on most toons so if anyone knows a way to get good lifedrain damage please tell me :3
Post edited by gradii on

Comments

• Options
    riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You can make the damage acceptable, though not very amazing. You can do this by choosing a passive that raises dimensional damage, such as shadow form. Take Intellect as a primary and dex as a secondary. The skill tree is a basic DPS tree of Warden/vindicator. Then pick two active offensives and get the recharge down low enough for you to be able to chain them both one after the other.
  • Options
    riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You can, the difference in damage would be somewhat noticeable, though you will be losing hp and the energy regen won't matter very much.
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    From what I've read (though not what I've tested yet), Dark Transfusion with its advantage will grant you damage strength roughly equal to that of an active offense at rank 2. This is combined with the heal down and equlibrium boost (neither which actually really matter for Life Drain, as its heal ignores healing reduction from that, and also doesn't have a particularly high energy cost).

Basically, yeah, combining it with Dark Transfusion isn't a bad idea at all. You could probably take that a step further and combine it with another active offense.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Maybe try Circle of Ebon Wrath? More damage at the expense of healing received. Not sure how it plays with Life Drain's healing though.
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,067 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Maybe try Circle of Ebon Wrath? More damage at the expense of healing received. Not sure how it plays with Life Drain's healing though.

Life Drain + Dark Transfusion would be a better combination, as CoEW cuts ALL sources of healing including Life Drains by 83%, and not to mention to gain its effects you'll have to be in one place.
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    From what I've read (though not what I've tested yet), Dark Transfusion with its advantage will grant you damage strength roughly equal to that of an active offense at rank 2.

Nope .. Dark Transfusion is just an "on next hit" power, so the +damage only apears to the next hit, and thats it.

Sadly Lifedrain is just bad for damage, if you want good damage take Devour Essence.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    I've had people tell me different things on this, some have said its for the full maintain. have you tested whether its really just next hit?

Its over a year since i last really tested it, but i can't imagine that they changed it, that would have made it simply too good.

But simply test it in the Powerhouse, or on the PTS if you don't want to pay money for a retcon :wink:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    but you DO need to pay for a retcon on PTS, you can't retcon as you like even there. which is complete bullcrap btw.

Delete character move character over have free retcons.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    which is a workaround. which leads you to wonder why you even have to do that.

Because it's the bloody PTS.

Another workaround : Get expensive gear from Debugger. Sell back to Debugger. Has moneys. ??? Profit.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    but you DO need to pay for a retcon on PTS, you can't retcon as you like even there. which is complete bullcrap btw.

We used to be able to access the C-Store on PTS and get free retcon tokens... but at some point (think it was with the advent of lockboxes), C-Store got disabled on PTS.

The current workaround is the following...

1. Take an existing character (or make a new one) and grab a travel power not available by default. C-Store, Q-Store, Recognition, event unlock, whatever...

2. Copy said character over to PTS. Because PTS doesn't recognize that you have that travel power unlocked, it'll give you a free retcon.
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've also triggered free retcons by using the Debugger to level up and down between max level and the lowest level, if I remember right.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ebon Ruin w/adv taps for an extra 10% dmg res debuff?
  • Options
    tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kallethen wrote: »
    I've also triggered free retcons by using the Debugger to level up and down between max level and the lowest level, if I remember right.

It was either that or going from max level to lowest level then back to 40. Either way, you can do it without spending G. They should just give the Debugger a "Remove all Powers, Specs, SS, and Talents" button. It would make things much less confusing.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Its just a COPY of your character on the PTS, nothing you pay there is lost on your original char on the live server. You can pay money or use free retcons .. it doesn't matter. If your character on the PTS runs out of retcons just recopy him :wink:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I tend to copy a character that I load up with G's, Q and mods/cores (not necessary anymore) and toss that stuff into the shared bank (after buying Q gear). Delete and repeat until you have a nice bank full of G's for retconning.