test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Confessions of a Comics Geek

cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Off Topic
1- I like DC's Red Hood and the Outlaws. It's nice to see someone make Jason Todd something more than a loose cannon. My only problem? I don't like the mouth on his mask. And, the otherwise overeagerness to make Starfire a lying, selfish, sex-doll bothers me, but allegedly her recent reality check will snap her out of it.

2- I think Grant Morrison is 'okay', but he's also the reason I think editors need more control over what happens in comics.

3- I like all the redone costumes in New 52. I think they added some believability to the costumes without completely undoing the look in most cases. There is a caveat- Lobo. But, as I see it- if you were stupid enough to be passionate about a Lobo comic book, you deserve the new version. Suffer.

4- I honestly feel obligated to defend Aquaman any time he's used as a joke. At some point someone thought he couldn't do anything out of the water, and he's quite honestly one of the most badass members of the team on land.

5- I've always had a bit more respect for the ladies of DC than the ones from Marvel. Marvel's gals always struck me as bland, something there just to motivate male leads... and even then, it was forced and none of them struck me as a 'great woman'. Of course, DC really needs to class up their ladies in New 52...

6- I honestly appreciated the New 52, now that I'm talking about it again. Do I like the way it's executed? Not so much.... but it was something that needed to happen.

7- My initial impression of people who say 'I don't read DC or Marvel, I read indie titles' is that they're a smug douche. I wish someone could prove me wrong.

8- I say I hate the Silver Age, but that's not the case. I hate the Comics Code, and I'm glad it's dead.

9- I don't think all comic books should be 1990's extreme murder death. But I think the lack of casualties in a comics story makes me feel like there's nothing at stake and no real resolution.

10- I actually like Deadpool, I just hate how he's written and certain elements of his insanity are over-done. I feel the same about Wolverine, except worse.

11- My current theory is that right now, Marvel is being staffed by a bunch of fanboys who are desperately trying to either re-write the stories they think they read as kids, or Mary Sue themselves as certain characters (looking at you, 'Ultimate' Spider Man).

12- I got into great shape one year just so I could look awesome in a Batman costume, and I planned on spending the whole night trashed. Instead, I spent most of the night taking pictures with kids and basking in being called 'Batman'.
Post edited by cybersoldier1981 on

Comments

• scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    12- I got into great shape one year just so I could look awesome in a Batman costume, and I planned on spending the whole night trashed. Instead, I spent most of the night taking pictures with kids and basking in being called 'Batman'.

D'awww. That's awesome XD
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The+Maskcomic.jpg

Perhaps the most awesome, mind-blowing comic book I've ever owned.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And Walter was the most cuddly-wudly-wobbly-wabby charater of the comic.
    waltergetsmask1.png

:biggrin:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    1- I like DC's Red Hood and the Outlaws. It's nice to see someone make Jason Todd something more than a loose cannon. My only problem? I don't like the mouth on his mask. And, the otherwise overeagerness to make Starfire a lying, selfish, sex-doll bothers me, but allegedly her recent reality check will snap her out of it.

2- I think Grant Morrison is 'okay', but he's also the reason I think editors need more control over what happens in comics.

3- I like all the redone costumes in New 52. I think they added some believability to the costumes without completely undoing the look in most cases. There is a caveat- Lobo. But, as I see it- if you were stupid enough to be passionate about a Lobo comic book, you deserve the new version. Suffer.

4- I honestly feel obligated to defend Aquaman any time he's used as a joke. At some point someone thought he couldn't do anything out of the water, and he's quite honestly one of the most badass members of the team on land.

5- I've always had a bit more respect for the ladies of DC than the ones from Marvel. Marvel's gals always struck me as bland, something there just to motivate male leads... and even then, it was forced and none of them struck me as a 'great woman'. Of course, DC really needs to class up their ladies in New 52...

6- I honestly appreciated the New 52, now that I'm talking about it again. Do I like the way it's executed? Not so much.... but it was something that needed to happen.

7- My initial impression of people who say 'I don't read DC or Marvel, I read indie titles' is that they're a smug douche. I wish someone could prove me wrong.

8- I say I hate the Silver Age, but that's not the case. I hate the Comics Code, and I'm glad it's dead.

9- I don't think all comic books should be 1990's extreme murder death. But I think the lack of casualties in a comics story makes me feel like there's nothing at stake and no real resolution.

10- I actually like Deadpool, I just hate how he's written and certain elements of his insanity are over-done. I feel the same about Wolverine, except worse.

11- My current theory is that right now, Marvel is being staffed by a bunch of fanboys who are desperately trying to either re-write the stories they think they read as kids, or Mary Sue themselves as certain characters (looking at you, 'Ultimate' Spider Man).

1) Agreed. Red Hood and the Outlaws is one of the new 52 I enjoyed.

2) Thought he was over rated myself.

3) Will have to disagree here. Some of them are just classic. Wonder Woman's outfit was iconic as was Power Girls. Superman's doesn't bother me to much, but I always hate it when people do the "underwear on the outside" joke. It's not underwear, it's one piece.

4) Agreed. While not one of my favorite characters, I think he gets to much joke. Saddly, I don't think it'll change, because people are well, dumb.

5) Disagree here. I've actually enjoyed quite a few more of the Marvel side when it comes to the females. At the same time, they've done stupid things with them. Storm marrying Black Panther being one of them. DC does it as well. But I think it's more because of the sales and the inability of most writers to either write for them or they just don't know how and don't want to, so they don't bother to try.

6) Horribly executed. Don't care for Superman being broken up with Lois. I picked up quite a few of the comics, liked some didn't others.

7) Agreed. But I also think that of those who say "the 90's sucked" :p

8) Glad it's dead as well.

9) I'm able to get past it, but at the same time, if done right and not done to the iconic comic characters. Really. Killing Spidey was the dumbest thing. Not to mention they do it for the dumbest reasons (like Spidey).

10) Great thing for insanity that went to far. I blame the writers/editors or whoever's in charge of such things. It's like they keep saying "I know how to one up!"

11) Agreed. With a little of thinking all the writers and artists have no work ethic and don't stick with a comic now, because they know they'll have a job even if they don't.

12) Not only sweet and awesome, I bet you had a better night for it.
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    7- My initial impression of people who say 'I don't read DC or Marvel, I read indie titles' is that they're a smug douche.

I don't read DC or Marvel because they make comics for babymen and exploit and discard their talent. I hope that doesn't seem too smug to you.
    twg042370 wrote: »
    I don't read DC or Marvel because they make comics for babymen and exploit and discard their talent. I hope that doesn't seem too smug to you.

Not too, but douchey enough.

Just an initial impression. Hipster type thing. They don't read what I read, but they can't tell me what they -do- read. Because if they told people what they read (if it is anything), it might get popular and then they wouldn't be hipster.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I quit reading DC just as New 52 started. I would find one thing I liked, then two things I didnt. I probably haven't given it a fair shake, but I drifted away from DC slowly before that.

Mavel, I stopped reading after Seige mainly. I went back and read X-Men vs Avengers, and have tried looking at some of the titles since, but I am just tired of them ruining great characters. For me, I feel that they have just lost all respect for their characters.

But those are just my opinions, I will not give people **** for what they read.

I mean I love Wolverine and HATE deadpool :) I am probably in the minority here. :)
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    I quit reading DC just as New 52 started. I would find one thing I liked, then two things I didnt. I probably haven't given it a fair shake, but I drifted away from DC slowly before that.

Try Red Hood and the Outlaws, and the Night of the Owls arc is pretty good, a bit better than Death of the Family.
    Mavel, I stopped reading after Seige mainly. I went back and read X-Men vs Avengers, and have tried looking at some of the titles since, but I am just tired of them ruining great characters. For me, I feel that they have just lost all respect for their characters.

You're a bolder man than I.

I got disgusted with how the Ultimates was handled in the long run. A chance to run a different story in a modernized way- and completely f___ up characters, almost worse than Heroes Reborn. Actually? It was worse. The stories were just better.
    I mean I love Wolverine and HATE deadpool :) I am probably in the minority here. :)

Well, I think Wolverine has a major problem- no one has the cahones to progress him, but every little fanboy writer that gets ahold of him just decided to exploit that 'immortal with amnesia' thing and shoehorn more stupid, pointless drivel into his 'origin'- which is NOT development, it just makes him look more of an **** for having so much behind him and being nothing more than a grumpy, selfish, douchey jerk for the sake of being a 'badass'.

Actually? I always thought Grifter (Wildstorm/DC) was a little bit of both of them and overall better as a character.
    joybuzzerx wrote: »

7) Agreed. But I also think that of those who say "the 90's sucked" :p

I won't say that. Lefield SUCKED. But, really- whose fault is it? The guy didn't force his way through the doors, he was apparently doing something that the industry wanted. I mean, the guy was a construction worker, came out of nowhere, had nothing in his background- and they just hired him.

The 1990's had some of the most awesome story arcs in comics history. Comics got more attention then, despite a few bad things. It was no worse than the Bronze or Silver Age nonsense (I give you Bat-Mite Bat-woman Bat-dog Bat-kitties Bat-Nixon, ladies and gentlemen).

One of my favorite things to do is call DC's writers and editors out on their BS. CONSTANTLY they claim to have done certain things to 'mock all the things about the 90's we all hated', but none of that was being said while they were doing it. Examples were the Jean Paul Valley batsuit- you can't sit and convince me that they made that as a 'representation of all that was wrong with comics at the time'. No way in hell. DC's had staff that always tried to pretend to be above the silliness of the 1990's, and really- they were just as guilty. Doomsday is a perfect example, and don't pretend they weren't trying to make Superman and Supergirl EXTREEEEEME during the 1990's and pretend it was legit.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Confessions?

I subscribed to AMS starting with issues 680 or so and thus own every issue thus far of Superior Spider-Man...

and I don't hate it.(though they could end it at any time and bring Peter back to life and I would totally be happier.)
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This isn't a confession. more of a testimonial, but this is still one of the best comics I've ever read :
    MM-15.jpg

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

I've read it. o.o
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Grant Morrison is a mary-sue loving hack.

Agreed on most of everything else except the new costumes. The idea was good, the execution was poor; there's no need for all those lines.

And very much so on the fanboys running the asylum at Marvel, which leads me to -

I don't read Marvel or DC, only indie comics, because Marvel and DC have broken my heart too many times and frustrated me to no ends, and the fact that the status quo is god even in the face of genuine improvement and growth, love affair with cheap sales stunts, and complete lack of growth as a medium in the past 10 years make me lose interest in characters that I genuine care about because it seems that the writers/editors don't.

TL;DR version - Bendis, Ultimate Spider-man Vol. 1 #57 Hollywood: Part 4
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I stopped collecting comics about 15 years ago.
    before that x-men from 140 on,
    New mutants- all of them(in a box here)
    xfactor,
    xforce,
    xcalibur
    knights of pendragon
    What if?
    west coast avengers "it's quiet" "don't say that, everytime someone says that , we get attacked" cue attack
    Ghost rider- from the start
    Can't remember the name- group that Blade was in- NIght something.

Teen titans - from when they were getting the team with Raven, Beast boy, cyborg, blond alien girl ogether.
    No idea whats currently going on, since the distributions got screwed up.

MY favourite
    X-men- heroes for hope.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I try not to choose sides when it comes to which comics I read. I like certain characters rather than all the comics by the company as a whole. For example, I've enjoyed Spider-Man since I was a kid, but I can still enjoy characters like The Flash or Green Arrow.

That being said, I could dislike characters from either side as well... Big examples for me being Batman and Deadpool.

Batman just gets kinda boring at times with the fact that he's prepared for every situation and there never seems to be a lot of surprises with the guy. That's why I like some works that actually show him in his frailty, like The Dark Knight Returns Part 2.

Deadpool... he's just annoying in general. It really seems like the writers are confusing being unengaged as being cool and are substituting witty humour for pop culture references and "spontaneous humour" (AKA, being random).
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I just think deadpool is an idiot and tried to avoid stories with him in it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg