test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bugs would feed on Zombies

zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Off Topic
In most zombie apocalypse scenarios, only humans are converted into the shambling undead. And according to one naturalist, that's why zombie takeovers are doomed to fail. In the war between zombies and nature, nature would win.
David Mizejewski

The rest of the article is here. Read all about it.

http://boingboing.net/2013/10/14/zombiesvsanimals.html

Whew! { wipes forehead } One less thing to worry about.
ZedBlock-200.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Neat. Too bad none of that actually stops the zombie apocalypse. When the cities are being overrun by the undead horde, I don't see bears and mountain lions running through the streets to help us fend them off.

Dropping carrion beetles on zombies to beat them? wtf? How exactly would that be accomplished? You gonna sit on a tree in the woods and wait for one to wander by? You gonna sit on a fire escape in the city and just keep dropping buckets of them as a city's population worth of zombies shambles on through like folks at the DMV?

Hey I'll be sure to think of David Mizejewski when I'm being killed by a horde of maggot-covered zombies, and I'll be all like "Woo! Good thing nature is here to make my death more disgusting". I'm sure I will have thought of him the time that one of the survivors I was walking with was mauled to death by a bear... "Well, at least it's a better death than getting eaten! ...oh wait". And I will definitely have thought of him every single time we come upon a place where there would have been food, but nature got their first, ate it all, and threw up half of it.

By the time nature is helping out the human race has already been completely kicked in the balls. Nature doesn't get some big hoorah just because they're gonna show up after the fact to stuff their guts on the aftermath.

{ puts all the sweat back on zed's forehead } >:|
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    And if the zombie curse/virus/whatever is blood-borne, what of the mosquitoes who feed on the zombies, then go on to feed on living humans and inadvertently transfer the disease like the world's worst version of West Nile?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    And if the zombie curse/virus/whatever is blood-borne, what of the mosquitoes who feed on the zombies, then go on to feed on living humans and inadvertently transfer the disease like the world's worst version of West Nile?

I think Mosquitoes would only go after living flesh.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I think Mosquitoes would only go after living flesh.

If we're talking The Walking Dead, it's irrelevant anyway. Everyone is already infected.
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Neat. Too bad none of that actually stops the zombie apocalypse. When the cities are being overrun by the undead horde, I don't see bears and mountain lions running through the streets to help us fend them off.

Dropping carrion beetles on zombies to beat them? wtf? How exactly would that be accomplished? You gonna sit on a tree in the woods and wait for one to wander by? You gonna sit on a fire escape in the city and just keep dropping buckets of them as a city's population worth of zombies shambles on through like folks at the DMV?

Hey I'll be sure to think of David Mizejewski when I'm being killed by a horde of maggot-covered zombies, and I'll be all like "Woo! Good thing nature is here to make my death more disgusting". I'm sure I will have thought of him the time that one of the survivors I was walking with was mauled to death by a bear... "Well, at least it's a better death than getting eaten! ...oh wait". And I will definitely have thought of him every single time we come upon a place where there would have been food, but nature got their first, ate it all, and threw up half of it.

By the time nature is helping out the human race has already been completely kicked in the balls. Nature doesn't get some big hoorah just because they're gonna show up after the fact to stuff their guts on the aftermath.

{ puts all the sweat back on zed's forehead } >:|

OMFG WE AGREE! IT IS THE APOCALYPSE!

One small note though: Insects can and are routinely dropped from aircraft for abatement purposes, so there is a bit of precedent for this.

Biff: I'm sorry but I just have to say this. Your sig is making me nuts. If you have blood in your eyes you will not be targetting anyone. Have you never sustained a wound above your eyeline or watched a sanctioned fight that was stopped because one of the fighters has sustained such a wound? I think you need to leave the "Warmonger" sg, but when doing so suggest they queue up for pvp so the pvpers can turkey shoot (<--on topic, see?) these blind but bloodthirsty people. Oh and also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhko3m7D6UA

Enjoy your victory!
  • Options
    jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah while zombies and the idea is very intriguing there are a lot of things that isn't and probably not possible, even with the human physiology part, especially with running zombies, that would doom a zombie invasion in real life.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Biff: I'm sorry but I just have to say this. Your sig is making me nuts. If you have blood in your eyes you will not be targetting anyone. Have you never sustained a wound above your eyeline or watched a sanctioned fight that was stopped because one of the fighters has sustained such a wound?

I think you've thought about my sig a lot more than I have. Haha. It's just a quote from a song I thought was pretty badass. Maybe it's just saying "I'm seeing red." You know, metaphorically metaphorical.
    Oh and also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhko3m7D6UA

Enjoy your victory!

That, in all honesty, just made my damn day.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The whole premise of a zombie apocalypse just baffles me as to why it is even scary. Yea, plagues can wipe out entire nations over night, and epidemics are still and always going to be a number 1 concern of any group of people, but when it boils down to it, what way is a zombie ever truly threatening? Most of the time, anytime anyone dies to zombies in these apocalypses is due to their incompetence, not because of the mystic power of zombies. And the sad part about most zombie apocalypses is they some how forget about nature anyways in their documentation. even the vaunted Walking Dead ignores this, despite the fact they take place in a lot of wilderness locations.

Ignoring the magical abilities of sprinting zombies we have had in recent movies and games (since ignoring things like decay, rigor mortis and a slew of other conditions that come with just being a corpse), zombies traditionally are slow moving, not very coordinated, shambler's you could casually stroll by without worry or issue of being caught or maimed. Even Shaun of the Dead illustrated that point bluntly by the fact that protagonist was completely oblivious to the zombie outbreak for a good chunk of the movie and still casually strolled by zombies, unhindered, unphased, and acting like life was normal only truly getting in danger when his brain started realizing zombies were everywhere and they kept trapping themselves in stupid scenarios.

Realistically, a walking corpse plague, it would only be a scenario of time, as nature would take its course and eliminate the problem, it wouldn't last more than 2 seasons naturally especially if the premise is the entire world is zombified with only a handful of people left in it. But even the prospect that the entire world is zombified except a handful of people is still a huge stretch even for the most worst case outbreak scenarios.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I think you've thought about my sig a lot more than I have. Haha. It's just a quote from a song I thought was pretty badass. Maybe it's just saying "I'm seeing red." You know, metaphorically metaphorical.

Good!

"Where do I come from?"

"Get a JOURNAL, Logan!"
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Actually, thanks to air ports, the plague could be spread globally in like 2 weeks. If it's the kind of thing that doesn't show symptoms right away, you could have every corner of humanity infected and nobody even realizes it. That's basically what appears to have happened in The Walking Dead. In that sort of scenario, once the incubation period ends you suddenly have a global zombie invasion literally overnight... think about how many people die each day, that's how many zombies you spawn that first day. Now think about how people are going to react... for instance... your loved one just died of a heart attack... then suddenly they get up! You gonna stab em in the brain stem, or give them a hug and get bit? You're a cop who just had to shoot a suspect... the suspect >slowly< gets up... do you just immediately shoot them again or do you go over, amazed he's alive, try to get him to lay back down while radioing for an ambulance?

I agree though, a lot of people in zombie movies get killed because of their own stupidity and bad decisions... but hey, people make bad decisions, some would die because of them. It pains me everytime I'm watching TWD and they get relaxed and then get killed because they're just chillin' like its not a zombie apocalypse. It also pains me everytime they decide to shoot zombies instead of just jogging away from them.

Would a zombie movie where everyone is always making the best decision be realistic though?

And yes, zombie movies where the zombies run... some directors seem to have forgotten that the point of the zombie movie is that it's a slow moving, relentless, hope-killing monster... not a run up all fast and getcha sort of monster. 28 Days Later was the only movie that comes to mind as having done it well... but they're technically not zombies.
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cracked also wrote an excellent article on why a zombie apocalypse wouldn't work.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In most zombie apocalypse scenarios, only humans are converted into the shambling undead. And according to one naturalist, that's why zombie takeovers are doomed to fail. In the war between zombies and nature, nature would win.
    David Mizejewski

The rest of the article is here. Read all about it.

http://boingboing.net/2013/10/14/zombiesvsanimals.html

Whew! { wipes forehead } One less thing to worry about.

Raccoon City has zombeh bugs...and zombeh dogs, plants , spiders , moths , yuppies oh yeah and a FREAKING ZOMBEH ELEPHANT!

resident-evil-outbreak-file-2-20050328032535925.jpg

His name is Oscar :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Umbrella would engineer the virus so that it kills all those bacteria that cause rotting, because it's..... cost efficient.
  • Options
    rstzedrstzed Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In the book "Day By Day Armageddon", the zombies were deteriorating and would have all rotted away in about 5 years but the government nuked many of the cities and large numbers of zombies outside the blast radius were irradiated killing off the bacteria that was eating them. So now now they had preserved and radioactive zombies running around.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited October 2013

This Pete Holmes bit is even funnier - IMHO.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jonsills wrote: »

Mosquitos are attracted to C02 given off by our breathing. Zombies don't breath. Mosquito's don't eat zombies.

Now while you may all think 'zombies' aren't likely to happen, know this, it is believed that 1 in 2000 people in England has the human form of mad cow diseases and are oblivious carriers. The disease eats your brain.

In other news scientists have created a brand new never before seen life form in the lab.
    Yay.
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    rstzed wrote: »
    In the book "Day By Day Armageddon", the zombies were deteriorating and would have all rotted away in about 5 years but the government nuked many of the cities and large numbers of zombies outside the blast radius were irradiated killing off the bacteria that was eating them. So now now they had preserved and radioactive zombies running around.

Now that is an interesting and fairly unique premise. Might have to find that book.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Now that is an interesting and fairly unique premise. Might have to find that book.

It's interesting, but I don't think as plausible as that just sounds like an attempt to find a magic eraser. Other creatures such as insects and animals would pick off zombies fairly rapidly as well, and at that point redeposit bacteria in the zombie flesh, and that's assuming that some how the zombies were not incinerated by the bombs, but some how close enough to have their bacteria killed. Furthermore not all processes of decay are bacterial related. Not to mention new strains of bacteria would just fill in the gaps that aren't bothered by the radiation.

And that of course doesn't even include the wildlife, insects and such, so in essence an attempt to throw down a magic eraser to eliminate a problem would, at best, post pone it for maybe a few extra days.

Also, the zombie apocalypse lasting for 5 years seems extremely generous as decay and putrefaction would happen way faster. Even in the far northern areas of the world, where it's cold and people think that would "preserve" zombies, all you would get is a bunch of immobile, maybe moaning corpse sickles that people can just go out and whack a shovel against, or worse yet, corpse sickles with freezer burn.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Also, the zombie apocalypse lasting for 5 years seems extremely generous as decay and putrefaction would happen way faster. Even in the far northern areas of the world, where it's cold and people think that would "preserve" zombies, all you would get is a bunch of immobile, maybe moaning corpse sickles that people can just go out and whack a shovel against, or worse yet, corpse sickles with freezer burn.

It was about 5 years because the agent that makes people zombies was fighting the bacteria to some extent. The preserved zombies got stronger, faster, smarter without the bacteria to inhibit them.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The PS3 game "The Last Of Us" explores the idea of mind-controlling fungi, previously only infecting ants, having evolved enough to affect human beings to alter their very actions with the sole goal of ensuring the species' survival. It's nice to know that this sort of fungi does exist, though it only affects ants. It's called Ophiocordyceps unilateralis. Go look it up.

If there's a believable sort of zombie outbreak to be expected, then in my opinion it could very well be sourced to such fungi, assuming that it could evolve to affect human beings. On the other hand this type of fungi currently is only known to make ants isolate themselves to die somewhere to release spores without being aggressive, so if doesn't make its host aggressive in some way then they won't be your typical zombie that goes around tearing everyone to shreds for their flesh. Though, being a mindless, even if passive, fungal-ridden mess lumbering around spreading spores to infect other people is kinda just as horrific.

Interesting read here: http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/12/zombie-ants-fungus-the-last-of-us-playstation-3-3836808/
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It's interesting, but I don't think as plausible as that just sounds like an attempt to find a magic eraser. Other creatures such as insects and animals would pick off zombies fairly rapidly as well, and at that point redeposit bacteria in the zombie flesh, and that's assuming that some how the zombies were not incinerated by the bombs, but some how close enough to have their bacteria killed. Furthermore not all processes of decay are bacterial related. Not to mention new strains of bacteria would just fill in the gaps that aren't bothered by the radiation.

And that of course doesn't even include the wildlife, insects and such, so in essence an attempt to throw down a magic eraser to eliminate a problem would, at best, post pone it for maybe a few extra days.

"Other creatures such as insects and animals would pick off zombies fairly rapidly as well".

Look you know I value your opinion but wait a sec here. Why would this happen? Why wouldn't they give us and the the zombies (presuming they will always be closing on us "alivers") a seriously wide berth and just wait for an outcome ?

"Also, the zombie apocalypse lasting for 5 years seems extremely generous as decay and putrefaction would happen way faster. Even in the far northern areas of the world, where it's cold and people think that would "preserve" zombies, all you would get is a bunch of immobile, maybe moaning corpse sickles that people can just go out and whack a shovel against, or worse yet, corpse sickles with freezer burn."

Thank you! yes so much this.

**edit movement not possible for all lifeforms. I think we can write off koi ponds as a loss from the word go.

**edit 2 emergency omg person with the nice koi pond get youah fish TO THE CHOPPAH! GOOOO!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I hope you all fondly remember all your fancy explanations while the zombies are chasing you down. I'll be there, on a rooftop with a sniper rifle... yelling something like "Hey! Don't worry! The bugs will stop them any day now! :D"
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I hope you all fondly remember all your fancy explanations while the zombies are chasing you down. I'll be there, on a rooftop with a sniper rifle... yelling something like "Hey! Don't worry! The bugs will stop them any day now! :D"

Suddenly, a flock of carrion birds having been infected from eating dead zombie flesh notice you on the roof.

DUN DUN DUUUUUN!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Suddenly, a flock of carrion birds having been infected from eating dead zombie flesh notice you on the roof.

DUN DUN DUUUUUN!

Oh gawd! Where's Milla Jovovich when you need her? D:
  • Options
    gfnotaku1gfnotaku1 Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »

DUN DUN DUUUUUN!

Don't worry. I HAVE COAT HANGERS!
    birdemic-o.gif
    This post is brought to you by:
    Villain-Mart, the only shopping franchise that caters to that diabolic need. This week at Villain-Mart, save 2 dollars on smoke machines when you shop with your CrimeCard and get buy-one-get-one-free on henchmen and scientists. Villain-Mart! You might be criminal, but our prices aren't!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Look you know I value your opinion but wait a sec here. Why would this happen? Why wouldn't they give us and the the zombies (presuming they will always be closing on us "alivers") a seriously wide berth and just wait for an outcome ?

In answer to this part; why would an insect care about a shambler? Maggots, ants and many other insectoid types that thrive off carrion would find a zombie to be an all you can eat buffet. Same with carrion eating animals. Zombies are slow, have no natural weapons and at best would try to reach out and bite on some animal that's going to just knock them down and take a huge chunk out of their hide. This is not even considering animals like bears and such either, just stray dogs, cats and the like. A zombie pretty much is the bottom of the food chain, because the only thing that generally helps us against natural predators we might have is the fact w have technology on our side, zombies don't. And you have a slow moving, barely able to walk shambler being attacked by a fast moving wild dog? What if a bear decides that zombie looks like so much lunch? Not to mention birds that will also spend their time eating carrion.

In short, a zombie apocalypse would be ringing the dinner bell for thousands of animals.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Probably dying of starvation or dehydration to unable to squeeze the trigger.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    In answer to this part; why would an insect care about a shambler? Maggots, ants and many other insectoid types that thrive off carrion would find a zombie to be an all you can eat buffet. Same with carrion eating animals. Zombies are slow, have no natural weapons and at best would try to reach out and bite on some animal that's going to just knock them down and take a huge chunk out of their hide. This is not even considering animals like bears and such either, just stray dogs, cats and the like. A zombie pretty much is the bottom of the food chain, because the only thing that generally helps us against natural predators we might have is the fact w have technology on our side, zombies don't. And you have a slow moving, barely able to walk shambler being attacked by a fast moving wild dog? What if a bear decides that zombie looks like so much lunch? Not to mention birds that will also spend their time eating carrion.

In short, a zombie apocalypse would be ringing the dinner bell for thousands of animals.

Yeah, just think of all the zombie animals. You think zombie human is bad? Here comes zombie bear! You just go ahead and chow down on that diseased flesh mother nature, you're in on this apocalypse too uwu
    Probably dying of starvation or dehydration to unable to squeeze the trigger.

If I survive long enough to die of starvation or dehydration, then I would be miles ahead of all the people who got ate because they though maggots and seagulls were gonna save them :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, just think of all the zombie animals. You think zombie human is bad? Here comes zombie bear! You just go ahead and chow down on that diseased flesh mother nature, you're in on this apocalypse too uwu
    Zombification has only effected humans in zombie apocalypse scenarios, with animals, at best, being carriers of virus, and only a few of said animal types. Also, the whole "bite" turns people into zombies is easily disprovable. And an animal turning into a zombie basically would mean, well, nothing really because then you just have a slow shambling animal that you have to be a little extra cautious around. Furthermore, diseases specific to humans tend to only stay there and would take a virus like that usually has to mutate before it affects other species.

If I survive long enough to die of starvation or dehydration, then I would be miles ahead of all the people who got ate because they though maggots and seagulls were gonna save them :biggrin:

Actually, the opposite, while you are cowering on that roof, any person should be able to just casually stroll by any zombie without concern. Even if a zombie does grab a person a zombie has practically no strength and can easily be broken away from. In essence, camping on the roof is pretty much on the top 5 worst things you can do during a zombie apocalypse. The only real concern is getting surrounded and even that is probably a non-issue.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Zombification has only effected humans in zombie apocalypse scenarios, with animals, at best, being carriers of virus, and only a few of said animal types. Also, the whole "bite" turns people into zombies is easily disprovable. And an animal turning into a zombie basically would mean, well, nothing really because then you just have a slow shambling animal that you have to be a little extra cautious around. Furthermore, diseases specific to humans tend to only stay there and would take a virus like that usually has to mutate before it affects other species.

Actually, the opposite, while you are cowering on that roof, any person should be able to just casually stroll by any zombie without concern. Even if a zombie does grab a person a zombie has practically no strength and can easily be broken away from. In essence, camping on the roof is pretty much on the top 5 worst things you can do during a zombie apocalypse. The only real concern is getting surrounded and even that is probably a non-issue.

Oh, you thought I was camping on the roof? Hell no, I'm camping in my house... with my food and water, and my boarded up windows. I just come up on the roof to watch people run past while they scream stuff like "Why aren't the beetles eating them?! The beetles!?!?"

And as far as zombie animals... Umbrella says 'sup :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Oh, you thought I was camping on the roof? Hell no, I'm camping in my house... with my food and water, and my boarded up windows. I just come up on the roof to watch people run past while they scream stuff like "Why aren't the beetles eating them?! The beetles!?!?"

And as far as zombie animals... Umbrella says 'sup :wink:

Your food in your house only lasts so long, the first thing gone in a zombie apoc scenario is always the power. So you have a weeks worth of food that won't spoil at most? Or you can have a generator something that makes noise and attracts the zombies, and maybe extend that by a few days. What about water, again plumbing would be out according to all apocalypse scenarios.

And you realize Umbrella (aka Resident Evil) has yet to have a consistant tone for their zombies from one game to the next, so using that as your example (a bad one at that) is kind of silly.

So, while you are hiding in the house, people will still just walk past the shamblers, even the animal ones, since animal zombies would not be the hyper dogs,they would be as crippled as other zombies by their necrosis state as any human zombie would be. Again, in an apoc scenario, the worst thing you can do is bunker up because you pretty much cut yourself off from finding food, water or even good shelter.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Your food in your house only lasts so long, t

Well according to you, the apocalypse won't even last a month. I have enough canned food and bottled water to last that long.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So I've learned thus far that I should-

Camoflauge/hide what food and water I can't carry. Find the closest billboard or water tower, approach it's ladder, deploy my stepping stool, pour 30 weight on the first 5 feet of said ladder, then hop up and climb the rest of the way up, and I'm set for the night.

Then I am going to attempt to summon animals to my position (John Cusack style) too act as a second layer of defense/early warning system. I will have to play this song to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBWcWh1Giqo

I will then realize that maybe a zombie apocalypse is more of an opportunity than a disaster.

(Sorry for the music vid, it's just.....there aren't words. I'm sorry!)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    gfnotaku1 wrote: »
    Don't worry. I HAVE COAT HANGERS!

Excellent! Just hand one over and I'll stash it in my...

IndoorEnthusiasts-LetsPlayResidentEvilCodeVeronicaPart2507-851.jpg

Oh damn it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Well according to you, the apocalypse won't even last a month. I have enough canned food and bottled water to last that long.

Well, let's see... slow moving targets that can easily walked past, not even a threat to people with technology, cars, hell a sledge hammer? That doesn't include gun enthusiasts, of course. The chance of a zombie outbreak spreading the way most people think it would (aka by being bitten by another zombie) is remote at best, and even the zombies themselves are about as dangerous as a plastic bag when you actually evaluate it. Sure, a plastic bag can kill people, but only the ones stupid enough to wrap it around their head.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Well, let's see... slow moving targets that can easily walked past, not even a threat to people with technology, cars, hell a sledge hammer? That doesn't include gun enthusiasts, of course. The chance of a zombie outbreak spreading the way most people think it would (aka by being bitten by another zombie) is remote at best, and even the zombies themselves are about as dangerous as a plastic bag when you actually evaluate it. Sure, a plastic bag can kill people, but only the ones stupid enough to wrap it around their head.

So then I'd be fine.

Also, might I point out.. there are people stupid enough to wrap plastic bags around their head. There are people stupid enough to do a lot of things.

The only problem is, I think on that first day at least, the zombies would be pretty mobile, and I'd be glad I was in my house ^3^
  • Options
    evillegacy1evillegacy1 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In reality, zombies of course are pure fiction.

But it's fun as hell to think about IF it was possible.

People take for granted how much coordination it actualy takes to even stand up let alone walk and the amount of muscles are involved. And anyone that been around a dead body, especially one prepped for funeral or about to be prepped for funeral, the muscles/ligaments don't move too well and lose flexibility pretty quickly, and even when you manage to move something, it tends to tear and rip, especially older decayed flesh.
    When most people think of muscle tears, they think about some runner tearing a muscle and limping away. Those are relatively small tears. With dead flesh, muscle/ligament will tear in major ways. Like a person who separate the ligament that attaches the quadriceps muscles to the knee. They cannot walk if they wanted to and didn't feel pain.

Then nerves and the chemical reaction that is required for nerve action that causes movement. Which is where food and water come into play. Starting with fluids, such as many that many don't think of, such as the one that lubricates the joint, the ones that permit nerve signals to cross the channel, and the water inside muscles. That all goes away if no water intake. Of course humans suffer from death of dehydration long before most of the water is lost in the body but with zombies, especially in hot environments even shambling around would become immobilized either from muscle/ligament tearing due to loss of flexibility or literally falling apart.

While even shambling zombies are unrealistic and maybe passible for the recently departed, running zombies require a big suspension of belief and one of Hollywood inventions to try and add fast paced horror and stuff.

But with all of that, if a zombie of apocalypse some how managed to happen, first most people would be infected simply because they wouldn't believe it until it's too late, no matter how long it takes to spread. Even with the government getting wind of it, they probably will say it's all a hoax while they try to figure out how to weaponize *ahem* I mean control the problem. Then the first ones to go after the first waves are all the people who think their cheap easily breakable "sword" they have for decoration makes them a sword zen all of a sudden or buying a gun means now they are sharpshooters and try and go out and hunt the zombies. Either at the same time or after many people probably will die from other people more so than the zombies. The next wave would be those people that stock up on milk chicken breasts and other perishable items without thinking how the hell are they going to cook that stuff without power knowing good and well they have no idea how to start a fire without killing themselves. Next the people that have no idea how to survive in hard times, and many people actually don't these days, from eating the wrong stuff, trying stuff they seen in a fictional movie, no idea how to communicate without a cell phone or basic first aid without an ambulance phone call or 911 a phone dial away, people that don't know how to defend themselves, heat and cold casualties, and food illnesses and other illness from lack of sanitation. Even with basic diseases and viruses, most people have no clue how to treat it without doctors to drive to or drug store to pick up cough medicine. Then assuming that infrastructure eventually goes, most people have not a clue of how to find water and how to sanitize it. Then people with guns, ammo is not infinite in real life. What happens when it runs out? How many people really have the capability to make their own ammo? And most people think that when mess hit the fan, they will be able to waltz into a gun store and buy all the rounds. More than likely if the average person realize mess hit the fan then so did the gun shop owner and more than likely he'll probably shoot ya before letting go of his ammo or guns. assuming a person can make it there in the first place. So much for unlimited ammo with a sniper rifle on the roof. Lastly, there will be some that come across their loved ones and die because they have too much heart and forget, it's not grandma or brother, it's a zombie and get eaten. Yeah, if grandma is stone cold slab dead and all of a sudden wake up, last thing I'm thinking about doing is hugging them. Probably be wondering "WTF?" more than anything. But not all is bleak. Eventually those that survive and know what the yare doing and not panic or do stupid stuff will probably systematically kill off (again) the zombies in short order.

But how in the world would it get out of control in the first place? Because if I said right now, I seen a zombie. How many are right now running out to stock up on supplies reinforcing their homes, buying guns and ready for war with the dead? It would be waved off. Most people would sit waiting for official word from the government, but of course the government probably wont say much until it's too late because they don't want to cause a panic and cause economy crash.
  • Options
    kaosarcannakaosarcanna Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The problem I have with the Walking Dead zombies is that I find it hard to believe that they could swarm so quickly that the various governments of the world would be unable to figure out how infection is transmitted or how to take them down.

One of these days I'd like to see a zombie movie with the zombies actually being intelligent enough to be a real threat.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The problem I have with the Walking Dead zombies is that I find it hard to believe that they could swarm so quickly that the various governments of the world would be unable to figure out how infection is transmitted or how to take them down.

One of these days I'd like to see a zombie movie with the zombies actually being intelligent enough to be a real threat.

That would be "The Last Man on Earth" starring Vincent Price.