test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hyperion unusable

rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
I don't understand. Hyperion does not and should not belong to any comic book franchise. It's the name of the titan from Greek Mythology. We can use Hercules, Thor, Zeus but not an obscure name like Hyperion?

And yes I've looked up the name and he does exist in Marvel and DC Comics but once again the name should not be intellectual property for either one of them.
Post edited by rugrothrumbor on

Comments

• stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I don't understand. Hyperion does not and should not belong to any comic book franchise. It's the name of the titan from Greek Mythology. We can use Hercules, Thor, Zeus but not an obscure name like Hyperion?

And yes I've looked up the name and he does exist in Marvel and DC Comics but once again the name should not be intellectual property for either one of them.

Perhaps you could try Hyperi0n or Hyper Ion?
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    someone obviously decided that since he wasn't in the main pantheon , he didn't count and allowed it to be trademarked/copyrighted

and whats with a short name, I find your character by its name stretching across the screen :) It's great,
    Person 1" what are you called?'
    long sound of an avalanche
    person 1" um so how do spell that?'
    does anyone ever manage to send mail to that character without copy and paste or do you have a short one too.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This one's a little odd, but this isn't the first odd exclusion by the filter.

Though there is a Hyperion in Marvel. Several in fact (he's the faux Superman in Squadron Supreme and its variations).
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Its because of Borderlands, its the name of Handsome Jack's weapons company .
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Possibly it's because there's also an Hyperion in the official Champions Universe. He's a hero of the United Kingdom with light-based powers, apparently on par with Firewing since he fought that villain to a standstill in London in 2002. Hyperion is mentioned in Champions Universe 6E p. 78, although like all the UK heroes he doesn't yet have a PnP character write-up.
    edited October 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    firewing attacked london!??

More likely he attacked Hyperion, since Firewing is always looking for challenging opponents. London was just unfortunate enough to be the site of their battle. The fight "destroyed a large swath of London," but Hyperion himself helped rebuild it. I'm sure that's one of the reasons why he's "extremely popular with his countrymen."
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Most likely, though, it's forbidden because of Marvel's Hyperion.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hyperion is also the name of Raynors battlecruiser in Starcraft 2. Just by sheer coincidence it has "hero armor" and a buncha other capabilities.
    Hyperion Devastation
    Escape from Mar Sara cutscene
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Most likely, though, it's forbidden because of Marvel's Hyperion.

I'm not sure since Thor isn't but you may well be right.

Question, are any of the other Champions Universe characters restricted names?
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm not sure since Thor isn't but you may well be right.

Question, are any of the other Champions Universe characters restricted names?

I know that Borealis is restricted. Invictus is not, and there are a number of ingame villains who weren't filtered, including, I believe Kigatilik.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I had a character that I planned to name Hyperion. Name filter said "Nope," so I ended up calling him Nova. :rolleyes:
    biffsig.jpg
    edited October 2013
    I had a character that I planned to name Hyperion. Name filter said "Nope," so I ended up calling him Nova. :rolleyes:
    I had one that I wanted to call Supernova, but that was restricted, so now he's Hypernova.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited October 2013
    I had one that I wanted to call Supernova, but that was restricted, so now he's Hypernova.

Now to try Superion to complete this trifecta of naming hell!

Wasn't that actually a character, Superion?
    biffsig.jpg
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Trademark laws can be very, very strange beasts....
    edited October 2013
    Wait just reading this there is DOZENS of Hyperion's in popular culture. To be honest I dont think mythical stuff can be copyrighted . Take Thor for example , how many Thors are out there in comics and sci fi :P

Thor.jpg

For some reason this guy reminds me of The_Last ._o
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    edited October 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Wait just reading this there is DOZENS of Hyperion's in popular culture. To be honest I dont think mythical stuff can be copyrighted . Take Thor for example , how many Thors are out there in comics and sci fi :P

For some reason this guy reminds me of The_Last ._o

It's not a matter of copyright or trademark, I don't think. It might just be hearsay because I don't remember the story fully, but I think Cryptic got a list of names from Marvel that couldn't be used, and it wasn't an exhaustive or extensive list. Why Hyperion made it up there but not Nova is anyone's guess.
    biffsig.jpg
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It's not a matter of copyright or trademark, I don't think. It might just be hearsay because I don't remember the story fully, but I think Cryptic got a list of names from Marvel that couldn't be used, and it wasn't an exhaustive or extensive list. Why Hyperion made it up there but not Nova is anyone's guess.

I could very well be mistaken, but didn't a dev (or rep) at one point state that some of the Champs PnP names had been blocked as well ?

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited October 2013
    Seriously no ones made a "This threads pure HYPERIONBOLE!" joke yet.

Circle+of+No.jpg

Nepht is disappoint.
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited October 2013

LOL 10 char
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • xmyuikixxmyuikix Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Cause 'murrica :P
  • shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Anyone know what's the deal with "Scarlet"?
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Anyone know what's the deal with "Scarlet"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_%28comics%29

That's what I found with a google search
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_%28comics%29

That's what I found with a google search

Wow... it's like all the simple names are already taken. -_-

At least we can still use "Eclipse" despite two people in the Champions Universe with that name (one who died in the Battle of Detroit and the other is a member of the Crowns of Krim). Wonder if it's the same for "Thunderbolt".
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited October 2013

One of the old giant combiners from Transformers was named Superion.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited October 2013
    Wow... it's like all the simple names are already taken. -_-

At least we can still use "Eclipse" despite two people in the Champions Universe with that name (one who died in the Battle of Detroit and the other is a member of the Crowns of Krim). Wonder if it's the same for "Thunderbolt".

There's even a second active villain in the IP named Eclipse, the setting's analogue to the X-Men's Rogue.

There really doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to the restrictions, does there? :confused:
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    nepht wrote: »

Myths fall under the purview of "public domain". So no, the name "Thor" is not capable of being copyrighted.

However, a company can associate a particular character-design with a name, and copyright that design and association.

I could make a character with electric powers and who wields a giant hammer, call him Thor, and be in the clear, because those traits are generically associated with the mythic figure. I just couldn't make him resemble the Marvel Comics version of the character, unless I wanted to run afoul of lawsuits.
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In fact, it's likely Stan and Jack made their Thor quite different from the myth on purpose, to take advantage of that.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited October 2013
    In fact, if you want to leverage the mythical Thor, he needs to have bright red hair and a big beard. And a great big hammer, not that silly little thing from the comics - Thor is a war-god, not a carpenter.

edited October 2013
    In fact, if you want to leverage the mythical Thor, he needs to have bright red hair and a big beard. And a great big hammer, not that silly little thing from the comics - Thor is a war-god, not a carpenter.

But a proportionately short, stubby handle -- that's a detail from the Edda myth of Mjolnir's creation.

Historically, though, war hammer heads were much smaller than Thor's hammer in the comics, which is closer to a sledge. Their heads were narrower and often shaped more like picks for more penetrating power, usually mounted on long shafts for a stronger swing, and often backed with blades or hooks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paolo_Uccello_037.jpg

http://www.bible-history.com/ibh/Weapons+and+Warfare/War-Hammers/

Comic Thor's hammer's combination of heavy head and short handle would make it very awkward to wield in combat. The movie version of Mjolnir is just outrageously huge; if it were solid steel it would take a strong man to even lift it, let alone swing it. Which of course is no problem for a guy who can bench-press a freight train. (And if you think even that version is too small, you've been playing too much World of War-craft.) :wink:
  • rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited November 2013

My version of Thor has red hair (more like orange hair) and uses the hammer bracer. The mythological hammer Mjolnir does have a short handle. The blacksmith that made it was irritated by Loki as a fly that prevented him from completing the length of the handle.

He probably swung it around like he was brawling.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My version of Thor has red hair (more like orange hair) and uses the hammer bracer. The mythological hammer Mjolnir does have a short handle. The blacksmith that made it was irritated by Loki as a fly that prevented him from completing the length of the handle.

He probably swung it around like he was brawling.

In some of the old poems there's few jokes made at Thor's expense comparing the short handle of Mjollnir to his manhood. That usually results in a dead giant or loki running very fast.