test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Character idea, but not sure how to design look...

chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Costumes and Concepts
After skimming some old X-Men fansites, I came across some pics (both comic panels and fan-made art) of Rogue, in the times when she had more control of her powers, when she could draw upon "echoes" of past victims of her succubus-like drain-touch, and I saw, on multiple occasions, alongside other common powers like Wolverine's claws and Nightcrawler's 'porting, she often used for her defenses, the metallic-skin armor of Colossus.

That picture stuck with me. A living-metal woman. So I went browsing for more such things. Found the appropriate entry on the Superpowers Wiki. A recurring trait seemed to be a lot of Might-set abilities - superstrength, nigh-invulnerability, super-stamina; the classic hero stuff.

Figuring out powers shouldn't be too hard - just tweak a Behemoth-based build, and mix in some potent defenses like PA's Invulnerability. But look and name is a bit more tricky. I don't want to just flat-out make an armored-up Rogue, a female Colossus, or other copyright-taunting imitators...

Anyone got some ideas?
Post edited by chaoswolf820 on

Comments

• Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Full Metal?
    Full Metal Jackie?

There's two!

Ummm...

Metallica?

There's three!

Metallicat? Add in some cat features!

There's four.

Maybe I can think of more later!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Full Metal Jackie?

That one has potential - Silver-Age comics like what CO is stylized upon thrive on wordplay.

We'll come back to that.

What about a look?
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That one has potential - Silver-Age comics like what CO is stylized upon thrive on wordplay.

We'll come back to that.

What about a look?

That can be a bit harder. While not at a tailor right now, it would depend on what exactly you're going for. Typical superhero? Going to want some spandex of some sort. Being metal herself, can even go the less outfit route and laugh at those who complain about impractical armor in the superhero/fantasy genres. :)

Could go the jeans, shirt and sunglasses if you're more the modern, OMG, spandex is so out, so why am I playing a superhero genre game route type.

Alien? Opens up some more possibilities. Maybe armored up, because on the alien's homeworld, the armoring up ability was nothing to write home about there.
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    joybuzzerx wrote: »
    Alien? Opens up some more possibilities. Maybe armored up, because on the alien's homeworld, the armoring up ability was nothing to write home about there.

There's an official Champions Universe race that might be appropriate on several levels, if you don't mind them being "armored up" all the time. The following info is taken from the Hero Games books, Champions Beyond and Terran Empire.

The Donburil are tall humanoids with shiny gold skin. Their tissues contain a high proportion of metals, and the food they eat is lethal to most other beings. (Donburil are immune to most metal-based poisons.) They're heavier than their size would suggest, averaging close to 300 kilograms; their skin is very tough, and they're twice as strong as humans on average, although not really superhumanly strong (but see below).

Donburil society is matriarchal, with a governing world council made up of the leaders of roughly 800 clans. (Global population is only 500 million.) Their temperament is adventurous: in the PnP CU future timeline, they're well known as explorers and soldiers.

Donbur, their large rocky homeworld, is nearly on the other side of the galaxy from Earth. As of the present day they haven't yet developed space travel, but are on the verge of launching manned vessels to their moons. One such exploratory vessel might encounter a wormhole or similar anomaly, depositing it on Earth. And the transition could have affected the astronaut physically, greatly enhancing her strength and toughness.

So, for a look, tall with shiny golden skin. (Books don't specify hair or lack thereof.) If she was an astronaut, she could wear something like a space-suit, or like the coveralls human astronauts wear, perhaps with a military cut and decoration. If you want more of her skin exposed, well, human astronauts don't wear a great deal under their space suits. Given Donburil physiology and their planet's environment, their clothes made from organic fibers would probably also be very tough and look metallic.

As for a name, with her looks I thought of Aurea. That could work as both a superhero codename, and her real "alien" name.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This may seem odd, but try the "alien muscle" pieces, make them metal, and color them silvery.
    edited October 2013
    twg042370 wrote: »
    This may seem odd, but try the "alien muscle" pieces, make them metal, and color them silvery.

I had considered that, actually.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It sucks enormously that hair does not have a metallic option.

However, I have learned that the Spec Ops tights pattern, done in suitable colors and in a Metallic material, makes for an excellently robotic-looking appearance - better than the Cyborg pattern, in fact.
  • Options
    tomaantomaan Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That picture stuck with me. A living-metal woman. So I went browsing for more such things. Found the appropriate entry on the Superpowers Wiki. A recurring trait seemed to be a lot of Might-set abilities - superstrength, nigh-invulnerability, super-stamina; the classic hero stuff.

You could go minimalist -- a featureless metal humanoid a la T-1000 from Terminator 2:
    T-1000_002.png

Glowing eyes make a nice contrast on this concept, and ooze tunneling gives you a malleable feel.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tomaan wrote: »
    You could go minimalist -- a featureless metal humanoid a la T-1000 from Terminator 2:
    T-1000_002.png

Glowing eyes make a nice contrast on this concept, and ooze tunneling gives you a malleable feel.

I tried that, actually... it looked... weird.
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tomaan wrote: »
    T-1000_002.png

This makes me think of the Silver Surfer so much.
    Sadly, there haven't been any alternate designs for the Surfer I could recommend OP be inspired by for a metal toon.

In other ideas though, wasn't the Hulk's dad in one of the Hulk movies with the ability to morph into metal if he touches it? Maybe something like that design could work, ordinary looking person who morphs into metal upon touching a metal object they own. Name the character after that object and you sort of have a theme maybe?

Fear... The Nickel Woman! The Dime Lord! Pound Hound!
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    vorshoth wrote: »
    In other ideas though, wasn't the Hulk's dad in one of the Hulk movies with the ability to morph into metal if he touches it?

Oh yeah, the Ang Lee-directed Hulk, with daddy Banner as Absorbing Man for god-knows-what reason - and it wasn't just metal, but anything he touched.
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hmm... absorbing metal might also mean that the character takes on some of the physical qualities of the object made from that metal. If you were interested in making alternate costumes, you could probably cobble together elements reminiscent of objects the character absorbed her metal qualities from last, like a car, or plane, or I-beam, or washing machine.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It sucks enormously that hair does not have a metallic option.

However, I have learned that the Spec Ops tights pattern, done in suitable colors and in a Metallic material, makes for an excellently robotic-looking appearance - better than the Cyborg pattern, in fact.

This idea, I keep circling back 'round to it, certain I could do something with it other than just a robot, but I'm not sure what...
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I came up with this idea ages ago, but never put it to good use.

But I did create an all metal hero/robot built by the auto industry to sell to the wealthy or governments as manufactured heroes for personal protection. I called the proto-type Beamer. I think that you can guess why. His power set was supposed to be Force.

Costume_ZedBrightlander_Beamer+8_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_380143100.jpg

Every part of him is metallic except for his hair. I'm not saying that you will want to duplicate the concept, I'm just posting this for you to look at for possibilities and a place to begin with for toying around for costume designs.

For example - Full Metal Jackie might be dressed in camouflage fatigues, but those fatigues could be all metal.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    oniganononiganon Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2013
    Some time ago I was playing with a concept for a race of sythetic beings made from tissue based on living metal. They were more energy manipulators, than straightforward bricks (hence all glowing parts). But their visual concept also was revolving around metal men and women.

2lvzswx.jpg

2rvzvjq.jpg

2cwoj7d.jpg
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Some time ago I was playing with a concept for a race of sythetic beings made from tissue based on living metal. They were more energy manipulators, than straightforward bricks (hence all glowing parts). But their visual concept also was revolving around metal men and women.

2lvzswx.jpg

those bracers and boots and such - I've never seen those before, what are they from?
  • Options
    lilukariolilukario Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    those bracers and boots and such - I've never seen those before, what are they from?

Patterned Armor from the Z-Store.