test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

is this game Dead or Alive or what?

zer303606zer303606 Posts: 124 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
what happened to it?
it used to be a fun costume creator superhero game. now in the hands of evil overlords it turned into a big buy cryptic points and open those lockboxes game.
will it ever recover or will ppl seek other sorts of enjoyment?
-well heres hoping.

i know know. its been said before like a slapped dead horsie.
but still. i come back once and while. but no new powers and no new costumes. just the ones thats in lockboxes.

where is the love cryptic?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No new powers? When did you leave and when did you come back?
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    zer303606zer303606 Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    i been on and off as there is no other good superhero games.
    you mean the powerswords? well it was acctully there allready.
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Last new costume set was Nighthawk i think and that was around July ? last year.

The new Lasersword and Gadgeteer Powers i remember were also at that time, and the last complete powersets Wind and Earth were release December 2011 i think.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=906591

Along with new power in Force and Fire and more are being worked on right now.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm pretty sure the Wizards costume set came out after Nighthawk, although I may be mistaken...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zer303606 wanted to know:

is this game Dead or Alive or what?

No, this is Dead or Alive. :tongue:

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There is the new Telepathy mini-power set. Five powers for that one, I think.

Also, the game is Alive.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The game is horribly underutilized and not doing very well at all.

But they've been steadily putting a noticeable amount of developer time into the game for several years. Not nearly as much as they SHOULD, but... CO is a far cry from languishing in pure maintenance mode.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Lockboxes are not only the future of Champs, but of the entire MMO market (and it's bleeding into other game genres as well).

A gambling system gets your game more revenue than offering your products up front.

It's the sad truth, we just have to deal with it.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    No, you're thinking of this game:
    RB-dead-or-alive-3ds.jpg
    Not sure how you mixed the two up... we don't have jiggle physics.
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I will go with the or what... It's like they can't decide either to axe it or to improve it.
    No, this is Dead or Alive. :tongue:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Can't resist, I must dance!
    cat-fat-dancing-cat-gif.gif

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    beldin wrote: »
    Last new costume set was Nighthawk i think and that was around July ? last year.

The new Lasersword and Gadgeteer Powers i remember were also at that time, and the last complete powersets Wind and Earth were release December 2011 i think.

I've been playing since CoX shut down, (and I'm pretty happy here for the record, just using that to give my start date).

In that time I've seen:

powers:
    Nighthawk AT
    Telepathy revamp
    Powerswords

Alerts and mini-missions:
    Nighthawk was running when I logged in on my first character.
    Until Sky command
    Harbinger aka Lemurian Invasion
    Forum Malvanum
    Cybermind
    Dr. Destroyer's Return aka Mega D invasion of Champs Building

Costumes:
    Nighthawk
    Alien Gladiator & Malvan
    Few new lemurian pieces
    Socrates aka tron
    Dinosaur (currently on test)

New Emote Pack (not a costume, but frikken awesome anyway)

Now, Nighthawk may or may not have been a repeat, but from the way people were talking it seemed to be new. And I'm pretty sure I missed something. Was warlord new or old? there's costumes he drops.

In all cases yes there were costume bits in the related lockbox but there were some from the missions/event too. It's not all paid content.

Also, seems quite a few bugs are getting squashed lately. Never as many as people want, but Cryptic North seem to be doing a bug bash as a way to learn the code, which is a great idea in my book!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Seriously? They're testing dinosaur bits on PTS? I guess the decision to go with the Voth for STO Season 8 will have some nice spinoffs...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Seriously? They're testing dinosaur bits on PTS? I guess the decision to go with the Voth for STO Season 8 will have some nice spinoffs...

Its more of a goofy Godzilla costume

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    think of it as a Dinosaur onesie. It is literally a costume. As in halloween costume.
    On the other hand there are fun things you can do with it with clipping and head options.
    and that is one cute little Munchkin

Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    think of it as a Dinosaur onesie. It is literally a costume. As in halloween costume.
    On the other hand there are fun things you can do with it with clipping and head options.
    and that is one cute little Munchkin

And the other not-so-cute type of Minchkin. The Bambino!

bambino.jpg

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    akirasanbeerakirasanbeer Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    klitty wrote: »
    And the other not-so-cute type of Minchkin. The Bambino!

bambino.jpg

Oh god, someone crossed it with a sphinx. They are two completely different builds.

Munchkins come under group 1 - persians and exotics,
    Sphinx are under siamese and orientals.

I have a friend who breeds Munchkins, they were really surprised at how active they were after having persian kittens. Annette thought they were insane, had a look during a meeting and said "nope normal kitten speed." 2 kittens halfway up a bookshelf. another doing bog laps ,up and down the stairs
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    RB-dead-or-alive-3ds.jpg

So when do we get some?
  • Options
    forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think Deadalive is the correct phrase, according to another thread (which said state of the game but was really another doom thread) we are unlikely to receive any content other than ****ing alerts so yeah it's kinda undead really.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    RB-dead-or-alive-3ds.jpg
    This is what I thought of imidately as well. As a side note: it's a great name for a game that features a bevy of soulless dead eyed women. Are they supposed to be dead or alive? Their flesh seems to jiggle as though it were still fresh, they move like only a living creature or a freshly animated corpse can, but those eyes . . . those faces . . . not a shred of humanity in them. Course I suspect most of fans of this series wouldn't notice if they were headless cadavers dancing for them.

As to the OP question . . . CO is showing signs of life. They only just recently implemented some changes to the alert system and to the costume designer (allowing you to change the size of your wings or tail). Small changes but welcome changes none the less.
  • Options
    tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    scorpagor wrote: »
    Lockboxes are not only the future of Champs, but of the entire MMO market (and it's bleeding into other game genres as well).

A gambling system gets your game more revenue than offering your products up front.

I first saw it in hat fortress. I love hat fortress, but I have yet to open a supply crate. I ain't buying no damned keys.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Dying a slow death. Think of it as on life support until someone decides to pull the plug when they're ready to say goodbye.
  • Options
    lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    secksegai wrote: »
    Dying a slow death. Think of it as on life support until someone decides to pull the plug when they're ready to say goodbye.

Respectfully disagree. If we haven't pulled out of this nosedive in 6 months or thereabouts, then yeah CO will be in trouble.

Bottom line we need more people. Someone,anyone, figure out how to get more people.
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited October 2013

What ever happen to the good ol days when everyone had the same content and was to enjoy the game for what it is not for what marketing scheme can concoct to create despair.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,392 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tdits wrote: »
    I first saw it in hat fortress. I love hat fortress, but I have yet to open a supply crate. I ain't buying no damned keys.
    The other great thing about hat fortress is that you can toss those crates straight into the trash from the pick up screen. Too bad you can't do that in CO.

Hat Fortress is also very open to moding, user made content is one of the biggest driving factors.
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zer303606 wrote: »

It's in a Romulan Warbird on the way to the Sword Coast.

But they did send a shuttle full of halflings recently so here's hoping!
    edited October 2013
    Respectfully disagree. If we haven't pulled out of this nosedive in 6 months or thereabouts, then yeah CO will be in trouble.

Bottom line we need more people. Someone,anyone, figure out how to get more people.

this game has been in a nose dive for a few years now. despite what some want you to believe.
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    zer303606 wrote: »

Not with this game, its over at sto and neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    secksegai wrote: »

Good one, I lol'd :)
  • Options
    megaspaceplayerxmegaspaceplayerx Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Not true at all. The promising MMO's of the future have no sign of lockboxes yet, and seam to be going back to the pay to play model. GW2 has lockboxes that are totally unobtrusive to gameplay. It's just the 'Perfect' World idea of what lockboxes are. They are the most horrible example of the idea that I know of and should not be used to as measure for the rest of the market. Their gambling system maybe gets THEM better profit flitching the few customers they have in their niche market, but I'm willing to bet the same product offered up front in an honest way would get them more customers willing to pay more in total. Although, I have no idea where to get a good example of that. I know at the very least it lost them me as a customer and supporter.

To answer the OP, game has been dead for a while. Its just a zombie shuffling here and there now. But, it is a comic book world where everything can change, and that is much better than a 'perfect' world.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
    @X-Hero Game Overed.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Long story short, if you log in, you will find other people to play with quite easily, and you'll have a lot of fun. This game is set up so that you don't need a big population to play it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It's odd people posting that the game is currently dead but haven't logged in for at least two weeks themselves to know what's going on currently. Come on now, let's not do stuff like that. It's unnecessary.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2013
    By the very definition, game is alive as long as its servers are up. Can't find any notice about CO shutdown, so here's your answer. :tongue: