test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Off topic - looking for others' thoughts on this.

ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Introductions
So I was bored at work today and started browsing a lot of tests that psychologists have made to tell you if you are right/left brained, sociopaths, psychopaths, naturally intelligent, and so on.

What I found is that I can answer everything correctly, whether I actually believed my answer or not, according to each specific test...except for the psychopath ones...I always got those wrong. Now, I realize that is actually a good thing, BUT, it still upset me quite a bit that I couldn't actually find the answer to any of them.

I'm one of those people that generally knows...everything...and if a question comes up that I just can't answer, I look it up. However, these tests are based on quick responses so you either know them or you don't.

That actually led me to want to learn more about the thought process of psychopaths (lol). I realize that unless you actually are one, it will likely be impossible to comprehend. I also realize there are likely thousands of books that attempt this...so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to start to read more in depth about it.

I figured if anyone knows a thing or two about psychopaths, it would be one of us on these forums :biggrin:

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
Post edited by ajanus on

Comments

• Options
    fenrichwulffenrichwulf Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Your best bet would be to snoop around in the club caprice for a week or two. After this week you'll probably be able to write an in depth book about how psychopaths think and what not.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Join me for a dinner and let's talk about it....
    I'll bring the wine.
    HannibalLecter2.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    As a psychology student (second year), I have studied psychopaths from a "face value". I am currently delving deeper into what thought processes go awry in a psychopath's mind etc

From what I have learnt so far:

- Their thought processes seem to function on an "alternate" path to that of societal norms, so they lack empathy, they may have an idea of what is right and what is wrong but they refuse to adhere or tap into that knowledge when doing what society deems as inappropriate (such as killing or torturing someone)

They usually have an adverse affect to conventional methods such as CBT etc to cure their psychopathic tendencies and instead become empowered by comprehending and listening to that information, thereby increasing their skills as a psychopath such as being able to mask their true intentions better than they previously are able to.

This level of deviation from the norm is explained as being a "distortion of cognitive processes" which then impacts on their perceptions of reality. Their cognitive functions with regard society and understanding that actions have consequences stops them from being able to understand that their actions have consequences and can lead them to believe that they will never be truly caught. This pattern of thinking and disregard for others in such a way is identifiable from early childhood or adolescence and carries on throughout their life.

Psychopathy is known in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) as ASPD (Anti Social Personality Disorder):

"The essential feature of antisocial personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood. This pattern has also been referred to as psychopathy, sociopathy, or dyssocial personality disorder."

This definition is part of both the 4th and 5th version of the DSM (5th Version came out this year! Woot!)

I hope this helps a bit ^^

If you have any more questions I'll try my best to answer :smile:
  • Options
    forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Coupla things...
    What's a "face value" in this context?
    Can you tell me anything about emotionally based violence? For example killer shoots victim but then goes over to body and empties magazine into the corpse. Massive overkill sort of thing. Killer say has been hurt by victim in the recent or not so recent past. In particular I'd like to know the buzz words for this sort of thing. I used to think it was the word Psychotic but looked it up on the internet and it's confusing as heck but probably isn't the right word.
    Is it accurate to say "a psychotic level of violence"?
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Coupla things...
    What's a "face value" in this context?

Just a basic look at what is labelled a psychopath really, nothing particularly in depth.
    Can you tell me anything about emotionally based violence? For example killer shoots victim but then goes over to body and empties magazine into the corpse. Massive overkill sort of thing. Killer say has been hurt by victim in the recent or not so recent past.

I should be able to, it's actually one of my key readings I'll be doing tomorrow :tongue:

Once I've read up on it, I'll post here for you ;)
    In particular I'd like to know the buzz words for this sort of thing. I used to think it was the word Psychotic but looked it up on the internet and it's confusing as heck but probably isn't the right word.
    Is it accurate to say "a psychotic level of violence"?

Sort of, if a killer is murdering people in horrific ways and going "overboard" when committing a crime..then it would be definitely a cause for concern (even more so than someone flat out murdering someone).

In court if they were found to have psychological problems they would plead Insanity, which may grant them some leniency since they are classed as psychologically unstable. However that is usually used for people who possess personality disorders or "switch" to a more violent nature which is said to be out of their conscious control, so they would plead insanity as they lack the mens rea (or the "mind" in layman's terms) to commit such a crime...

It's all pretty confusing when it's first learnt, I'll try to explain better when I get reading...it's 1am here, so I'll get some sleep then see what I can do :biggrin:
  • Options
    forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Oooh thanx ravenforce don't forget to play the game and otherwise goof off.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Oooh thanx ravenforce don't forget to play the game and otherwise goof off.

lol, I tend to enjoy ranting about Psychology.. :cool:
  • Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Join me for a dinner and let's talk about it....
    I'll bring the wine.
    HannibalLecter2.jpg

Hahaha, this must be one of the most hilarious posts ever....or maybe...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    If your really interested in Psychopathology, I'd recommend getting the book by Graham Davey (2008) entitled:

"Psychopathology - Research, Assessment and Treatment in Clinical Psychology"

It's the one I am currently using :wink:

It can get a bit heavy but it's great stuff, Antisocial Personality Disorder (APD) comes under Personality Disorders, there are plenty of papers and journal articles about it, just type it into Google Scholar.

Also, it looks like the DSM IV refers to it as APD rather than ASPD! THE CHANGES!! \o/
  • Options
    handymanlondonhandymanlondon Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I wish I can help you about it but I haven't know good psychopath authors that I can recommend you to read.