test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mega-Destroid Extension

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited October 2013 in Super News Network
Heroes, we know the Mega-Destroid Invasion got off to a rocky start. Over the weekend, we gave it some thought, and we've decided to extend the invasion by about a day. The Mega-Destroids will now end on Tuesday.

This is also going to be the end time for the normal-sized Destroid invasion, with the daily Questionite mission from the drifter.

End time: 7am PDT, Tuesday 10/1.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Cool - I was going to try to jump on for the last-ditch stuff this morning, but we lost power when a freaking tornado touched down about half a mile from here. (Note that we live near Puget Sound, almost 2000 miles from Tornado Alley...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kelplanktonkelplankton Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Cool. I managed to miss most of this event, only got a chance to hop in today.

Too bad it's not lasting another week! ;)

Art, Animation, and Stuff:
    DA Tumblr Vimeo Youtube
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Cool - I was going to try to jump on for the last-ditch stuff this morning, but we lost power when a freaking tornado touched down about half a mile from here. (Note that we live near Puget Sound, almost 2000 miles from Tornado Alley...)

:eek:

Wow..the most interesting thing that happens in England is -gasp- less rain V_V"
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ohhh that's awesome. Gonna be blowin' up some mega destroids tonight. Haven't partaken in the event yet with other things going on, but will try to do a few rounds now.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It has been fun, glad it is only extended one day though. It was getting a little old.

But I AM extremely disatisfied that Destroyer himself wasn't involved, or there is not a real payoff from his video. Figured it would have led to an actual ending or story to it. Oh well.

Thanks again for taking ownership of the rocky start and doing something to pay us back. Good work Devs :)
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jonsills wrote: »

Puget Sound? Can you see Canada from you house?
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    It has been fun, glad it is only extended one day though. It was getting a little old.

But I AM extremely disatisfied that Destroyer himself wasn't involved, or there is not a real payoff from his video. Figured it would have led to an actual ending or story to it. Oh well.

Thanks again for taking ownership of the rocky start and doing something to pay us back. Good work Devs :)

I am glad Destroyer didn't show up as some mob to fight, because he is a super powerful person and just a bunch of heroes beating on him willy nilly to defeat him would have removed tons of his mystique.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • gfnotaku1gfnotaku1 Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am glad Destroyer didn't show up as some mob to fight, because he is a super powerful person and just a bunch of heroes beating on him willy nilly to defeat him would have removed tons of his mystique.

...Yes. Because a man in super advanced power-armor is mysterious. Especially one that constantly cackles and taunts us over the RenCen billboards. That would have ruined our pristine imagine of him and his badassery.

It would have been fine to fight him as a single enemy. Perhaps as a level 80 Cosmic. We get to fight TAKOFANES who teased us for a few years with an appearance before sending another enemy to fight us, so why not Al?
    This post is brought to you by:
    Villain-Mart, the only shopping franchise that caters to that diabolic need. This week at Villain-Mart, save 2 dollars on smoke machines when you shop with your CrimeCard and get buy-one-get-one-free on henchmen and scientists. Villain-Mart! You might be criminal, but our prices aren't!
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    gfnotaku1 wrote: »
    ...Yes. Because a man in super advanced power-armor is mysterious. Especially one that constantly cackles and taunts us over the RenCen billboards. That would have ruined our pristine imagine of him and his badassery.

It would have been fine to fight him as a single enemy. Perhaps as a level 80 Cosmic. We get to fight TAKOFANES who teased us for a few years with an appearance before sending another enemy to fight us, so why not Al?

Dr. Destroyer is -the- most bad **** villain ever. It's possible (not that knowledgeable on LORE) that he is superior even to Menton, in fact I think he is, Menton worked for him.

UNTIL reports from way back when, spoke about Destra II or something his island which would be in game...if we ever were to fight him..well..that would be the real end game.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Puget Sound? Can you see Canada from you house?
    Almost as well as Palin can see Russia. :smile:

Oh, and amended - now that the storm track has been better analyzed, the tornado apparently came within half a block of my house. The end of the street is pretty messed up...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    gfnotaku1 wrote: »

Because if you come close to beating Destroyer, he does stuff like nuke an entire city. Plus, in the pnp, there are rules about how incredibly impossible he is to defeat. He makes the Tarrasque look like a chihuahua. You think people were mad about how hard Destroids were to take out? That wouldn't even be a warm-up for a proper Destroyer, he'd be one shotting people for the tens of thousands of hp.

I wouldn't want to see any less.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • gfnotaku1gfnotaku1 Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Because if you come close to beating Destroyer, he does stuff like nuke an entire city. Plus, in the pnp, there are rules about how incredibly impossible he is to defeat. He makes the Tarrasque look like a chihuahua. You think people were mad about how hard Destroids were to take out? That wouldn't even be a warm-up for a proper Destroyer, he'd be one shotting people for the tens of thousands of hp.

I wouldn't want to see any less.

Oh of COURSE! Defeating Destroyer should be a challenge worthy of praise, I agree. But he should still be a battle. Atleast driving him away like Tako.
    This post is brought to you by:
    Villain-Mart, the only shopping franchise that caters to that diabolic need. This week at Villain-Mart, save 2 dollars on smoke machines when you shop with your CrimeCard and get buy-one-get-one-free on henchmen and scientists. Villain-Mart! You might be criminal, but our prices aren't!
  • gansetseggansetseg Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    he should definitely be beatable, but it should be at least 3-4 times harder than mega destroids+gravitar combined. don't give it a short time limit though or it will never complete. and if it never does complete theres no point.

Well, given that Gravitar's beaten him before... Then again, her gravity powers are a lot stronger in PnP than they are here.

Honestly, I don't see the problem with a bunch of heroes being able to take him on, Taco Face-style. Yeah, he's a badass, but he can still be taken down by sheer numbers. He shouldn't be farmable, sure, but the possibility to screw up his plans should at least exist.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    But after the changes in PTS happen, that sure heck isn't going to happen.
    Let's all panic!!
    bth_tbbt_kermit_flail.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    But after the changes in PTS happen, that sure heck isn't going to happen.
    Let's all panic!!
    bth_tbbt_kermit_flail.gif

We must have this emote.
    Call it dance_megadestroid
  • kaosarcannakaosarcanna Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Shadow Destroyer took him out without too much trouble. In fact the only reason he's still alive is because Citizen Harmon was keeping him around for his tech.

(Of course, Harmon also beat "Dr Defender" as well and KILLED him so maybe the Big D is a bit tougher than his Multifarian counterpart.)
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Shadow Destroyer took him out without too much trouble. In fact the only reason he's still alive is because Citizen Harmon was keeping him around for his tech.

(Of course, Harmon also beat "Dr Defender" as well and KILLED him so maybe the Big D is a bit tougher than his Multifarian counterpart.)

We don't know the details of that encounter but I suspect it was because Dr D was not prepared for the sheer massiveness of Shadow D's army.

Heck Dr D didn't even bring any of his better minions, while Shadow D had all of his.

That's the other thing to consider, invading Dr D's
    asteroid belt
    base would logically involve a lair with may bosses, such as Rakshasha, Gigaton and so on that'd we'd have to fight first.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Here's the problem with any in-game encounter with Dr. Destroyer:

endgame-08.jpg

What would he unleash with a literal dead man's switch?
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,022 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The Event Literally ended during the Mega-D invansion was still on
    causing the Mega-Ds to Dissapear to the Void while people were actively doing the Open Mission!
    Wow... :rolleyes:
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So Orc Hed Ea Thr??
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    so Orc Hed Ea Thr??

S.c.o.r.c.h.e.d. E.a.r.t.h.
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2013
    Hope everyone enjoyed the event, it was fun to have it running that extra day!
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited October 2013

I'm just happy it worked this time, false start aside.

So no big thing after that I guess?

Ah well.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah a new Dr. Destroyer zone would be amazing. it will never happen, but would still be amazing.

Personally I feel it is just silly that this game does not have you fight the biggest bad in the liscence.

Don't get me started on Mechanon as well...
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Thanks! The extra dat was appreciated. Though I'm surprised you didn't do a videocast of it. Perhaps one day when you have time, you can flick the switch and give it one more try for the folks at home. :)
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2013
    Thanks! The extra dat was appreciated. Though I'm surprised you didn't do a videocast of it. Perhaps one day when you have time, you can flick the switch and give it one more try for the folks at home. :)

Heh, I tried to get it running on Thursday, but it was taking way too long to patch (I stream on a different computer). I thought about doing a stream on Friday, but ultimately, just wasn't time.