test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mega-Destroid Invasion Preview - Starts Thursday!

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited September 2013 in Super News Network
This weekend, Millennium City is going to be attacked by Mega-Destroids! Every hour, face these champions of robotic evil with your entire server - earn tons of rewards from this open-world event, starting Thursday after maintenance.

Get more details in the blog...

Possible rewards:

Questionite bag
Temporary Backup device - summon one of the Champions for a few high-powered attacks
Permanent Backup device - summon one of the Champions for a few high-powered attacks
Become device: Resistance Command Leaderbot
Become device: Black Talon Mk II

Times:

Starts Thursday after maintenance, around 9am PDT
Ends Monday at 10am PDT
Event happens every hour.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ...you'll be ready to turn the tide against him -- if he ever shows his mask again...
    Fixed that for you. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    =D
    Every hour, [only] three Mega-Destroids will spawn and attack Champions HQ.

D=

/10char
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    =D

D=

/10char
    Well, that might have been tied to the Level 1 bug...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm looking forward toward getting some permanent backups! Unfortunately, I won't be online much until Sunday due to my work schedule. It'll be nice to see all the extremely powerful hero characters all fighting together, just like old times.

:smile:

Good special event rewards and Zone events like these always generate more turnout (until people farm themselves into insomnia and wear out :tongue:)

PS: Cryptic, please make sure your servers can handle the traffic this time? Excessive lag and only a few instances makes for a lot of frustration.

PPS: How come the other zones never get cool events? It'd be really cool to have some major events going on in places that are NOT Millennium City.
    jonsills wrote: »
    Well, that might have been tied to the Level 1 bug...

I'm extremely interested if this bug has been fixed or not. Last year this was... well... catastrophic (as in so bad of a bug the event needed to be canceled, and it was)
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Random rewards for all participants or will the people that do the most damage get the best rewards?
  • Options
    dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    PPS: How come the other zones never get cool events? It'd be really cool to have some major events going on in places that are NOT Millennium City.

+1. Other zones need love too.

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Will the end of the Mega D event also mark the end of the Destroid daily mission, or will that continue?

Or does it end with maintenance so that the Mega Ds can replace it?
    edited September 2013
    Suggestion.

If some rare item drop when we defeat Buckups! summoned by someone in duel, it will be nice. :biggrin:

I want Champions' costume. :3
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Only three this time? Hmm

That means doing this event four times for the Mega Destroid AF and perk. Cewl! :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Will the end of the Mega D event also mark the end of the Destroid daily mission, or will that continue?

Says on Le Blog Post:
    (Remember: The regular Destroid Invasion event is ongoing, with a daily Questionite reward from the Drifter. It'll run alongside the Mega-Destroid Invasion as well.)

So don't try to back up too far or you'll get double destroids :P
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Random rewards for all participants or will the people that do the most damage get the best rewards?

Last time you got resources based on damage, and all drops (devices etc) were random
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Says on Le Blog Post:

That's what I get for just reading the forum post, and not the blog.

Still curious about the end date. The fact that it was accidentally turned off during last week's maintenance shows that it is a temporary event, and not a permanent addition like the Fatal Error stuff was. Though I'd happily have another source of Questionite made permanent. :biggrin:
    edited September 2013
    Meh.......
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Still curious about the end date. The fact that it was accidentally turned off during last week's maintenance shows that it is a temporary event, and not a permanent addition like the Fatal Error stuff was. Though I'd happily have another source of Questionite made permanent. :biggrin:

Le Blog Post:
    Starts Thursday after maintenance, around 9am PDT
    Ends Monday at 10am PDT
    Event happens every hour.

:3

<3
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Awards from Event missions are random--have been for quite some time.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Le Blog Post:

:3

<3

Not the right answer this time. :wink:

I'm looking for the end date for the Drifter's mission, not the big Ds.
    edited September 2013
    Not the right answer this time. :wink:

aah, I reckon maybe the early part of next month? October 12th maybe?

It would be a nice albeit annoying addition :tongue:

I just hope the perk and AF rewards are linked up properly for this event. i.e.

12 Mega D's taken down = AF is hooked up correctly so there are no issues.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I'm gonna guess Monday at 10am, the same time they turn off the Mega-Ds. Because there won't be an attack any more as we have 'won'.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    agentnx5 wrote: »

Population, mainly. In the past, on other games, I've had events in zones other than the main hubs, and they got way fewer people. RenCen is where everyone's concentrated, so for as many people to play an event as possible, you have to site it in/near RenCen.

D=/10char

Er, maybe I'm misremembering... but I'm pretty sure there were only three Mega-Ds in the event last year. I based the blog off my memory of last year, so let me know if it's incorrect.

The important stuff will go to all the participants. There may be resources awarded based on score.

The Destroid invasion will continue, but as to when the Destroid invasion will actually end -- good question. I don't have an answer right now, but I don't think it ends with the Mega-Ds.
  • Options
    nemez1snemez1s Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    love this event.. MD for breakfast, MD for lunch and guess whats for dinner?!?!

MMMMDDDDD!!! :biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Any mauritian ingame, contact me tnx. @nemez1s
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Last time I was on PTS it was 2 on each end and at the front for a total of 6.

If you reduce the number it only makes farming for the rewards easier though. ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Last time I was on PTS it was 2 on each end and at the front for a total of 6.

If you reduce the number it only makes farming for the rewards easier though. ;)

Tru dat.

A lot of people I have spoken to cannot wait for three Mega Ds...last time I check on PTS only 2 showed up at a time...on the three points on the Champs HQ..

but the total was 6 Destroids
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Posts: 521 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Last time you got resources based on damage, and all drops (devices etc) were random

Thank you....

The important stuff will go to all the participants. There may be resources awarded based on score.

... And thank you.

That sounds good to me.
    No pressure to replace my character with a tricked out vehicle. :cool:
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am excited about this leg of the event for three reasons:

1) Last one ended abruptly due to level dropping issue. Felt like a story arch without a proper resolution.

2) My new computer should be able to handle this leg of the event far better that my old one did last year.

3) I have several solidly made Freeform 40s { <---- Thank you KenpoJuJitsu, supercollide, and Tammy Waffles. } who should be able to really help against these bad boys and not just distract them with "Indian Burns" and "Noogies."
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    My Quarry dps toon is pretty good vs high defense enemies, with her penetration specs, high crit severity, and DU core, with 2gm. but when I try the event with her, I'll block when the mega D's use the blast wave thing. just in case :biggrin:
    Always a good precaution regardless of your hero's Heath number. :smile:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    agentnx5 wrote:

Population, mainly. In the past, on other games, I've had events in zones other than the main hubs, and they got way fewer people. RenCen is where everyone's concentrated, so for as many people to play an event as possible, you have to site it in/near RenCen.

That will never change unless you give people incentives to go to other zones... Monster Island and Vibora Bay are two of my favorite zones. And Canada and the Desert are cool, but lacking in reasons for high levels to go there, especially since UNITY missions are no longer as nearly appealing since the advent of Legion Gear (of course that could change IF you could purchase useful stuff from Recog Vendors, such as specific mod types).

As I recall the werewolf v. hunter stuff is actually fairly popular (in-spite of some balance issues), and that's a non-Millenium City part of the Blood Moon event. That said, the most of the action and rewards are focused in Millenium City even for that. So it'd be nice to change things up again and have some major open mission events going on in other areas of the Champions Online world.

( Also, why avoid the other two questions I asked? :-S The post-post script was a secondary afterthought, and not my main point in writing my reply)

Yep. This is an "open mission" format, where score ONLY affects your resource reward, not the random loot prize at the end for a successfully completed open mission. This is a very fair way of doing things, and I'm glad Cryptic didn't change it (as TrailTurtle is saying here).

Most of all, I like how it brings people together for these showdowns. The pre-game chatter before the open mission resets is often fun, as you get to see friends you don't see as often who log in just for the special event things.

:smile:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    +1. Other zones need love too.

What came to mind reading the above. :redface:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    liochlioch Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Not to mention the little detail that every zone has a crisis, mission or level requirement. While some can be skipped, MC is pretty much the only place everyone can get to regardless of level/story progression. (Unless a special zone is made for events, which I do not see happening.)
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Cryptic keeps making the mistake that when something isn't populated or used often that its not desired to go there. Not many people play this game because there isn't much of anything new to do that captivates them for days on end. Not many people go to other zones because all the content is accessible in Millennium City. Not many people buy things in the Zen Store because everything new comes from boxes.

Your spreadsheets are only going to show things being favored if you only work on those very things. You aren't going to see numbers in unexpected places if you don't actually work on those low numbered results.

Make the devs stop wasting their time with their personal projects like we're their guinea pigs and make them actually put something in that will make the game worth playing again and something we all can enjoy.

Vehicles are dead. Either give us content to use them or drop it and work on character advancement and zones again.
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The trick is not to do an event specially for the less populated zone, but to have concurrent but different activities themed around the same event in MC and the other zones.

Next time you guys do an event, think about splitting the activities around the zones instead of having them appear in phases around MC, that should be less development as well.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Oh yeahhh, it was six, two at each of the three points. Good memory. Fixed that in the blog posts.
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Your spreadsheets are only going to show things being favored if you only work on those very things. You aren't going to see numbers in unexpected places if you don't actually work on those low numbered results.

Why am I suddenly reminded of Jurassic Park? They expected only a set number of dinos, and never bothered to look for more until it was too late... ><
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    zer0x0nezer0x0ne Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You know what would be nice? A timer on the open mission...

Edit: Never mind. The open missions are just broken in general. You know, like they were on Test. The only time you actually catch one unbroken is when a new instance spawns.

I killed enough Destroids for the perk though, so I guess I don't really care; I'm done beating my head against that particular brick wall.

"I would be curious of your circles because I know I've never heard of you.​​" - championshewolf
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You know what actually be nice? Working event....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    zer0x0nezer0x0ne Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    You know what actually be nice? Working event....
    Yep. I edited.

Further proof that Test doesn't matter, unless they're looking to collect data.

"I would be curious of your circles because I know I've never heard of you.​​" - championshewolf
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    zer0x0ne wrote: »
    You know what would be nice? A timer on the open mission...

Edit: Never mind. The open missions are just broken in general. You know, like they were on Test. The only time you actually catch one unbroken is when a new instance spawns.

I killed enough Destroids for the perk though, so I guess I don't really care; I'm done beating my head against that particular brick wall.

Plenty more Rogues Gallery Perks to complete where that came from. :biggrin:

It's not easy to get all of them. It can get boring really fast trying to bash any of the Westside Gangs after you've leveled past those missions. Still, I've made it my goal to complete 5000 on each of them on at least one of my heroes. :smile:

Can you image if the Devs added a 10,000 tier on each RGP? :eek:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Due to an issue with the rewards not granting properly, we've disabled the event for the moment. We'll be having a maintenance around 2pm to resolve this, after which it'll be back in action.
  • Options
    zedulonzedulon Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The Drifter mission Destroids seem to have gone missing, contrary to the oft-quoted notice in the blog...

(Edit: at least the ones around RenCen are gone.)
  • Options
    icx23icx23 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The event was destroyed with the resource nerf. All of that and only 3 G? Even the regular Mega-Ds at the museum still drop more resources.

The pitiful drops (greens and a box of Q? really). Event was better last year even with the deleveling bug. This morning for it's brief lifespan was ok as well. Not sure why the resources were nerfed but, it was a unpopular solution to something that wasn't a problem.

btw, yes I can hit at near or at the top of the scoreboard. Doesn't make any difference.
  • Options
    smoothroguesmoothrogue Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is my first Mega-D event, and my mid-20's level characters are not overly effective against them, but I am absolutely loving working with all of the other heroes to take down massive threats. Too bad there isn't a monthly "Mega" event, requiring all heroes to respond and work together.

(Why were the rewards nerfed?)
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Stick around.

Hopefully we will have The Bloodmoon event for Halloween.

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Stick around.

Hopefully we will have The Bloodmoon event for Halloween.

And after that, there will be lot's more fun with Clarence during the Winter Event.

"Hugs are fun, but smashing is better!"

Yup. He's a real joy. }} shivers {{

:wink:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg