Level 1: The Scourge
Level 6: Enduring
Level 9: Brilliant
Level 12: Indomitable
Level 15: Academics
Level 18: Ascetic
Level 21: Healthy Mind

Powers:
Level 1: Eldritch Bolts (Wizard's Discretion)
Level 1: Eldritch Blast (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 6: Pillar of Poz (Dizzying Impact)
Level 8: Aura of Ebon Destruction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Grasping Shadows (Rank 2, Unyielding Agony, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 14: Concentration (Rank 2)
Level 17: Shadow Shroud (Rank 2, Terrifying Visage)
Level 20: Vala's Light
Level 23: Lifedrain (Rank 2, Vampiric Sympathy)
Level 26: Ebon Rift
Level 29: Ritual of Arcane Summoning (Unbound Ritual)
Level 32: Hex of Suffering (Rune of Lethargy)
Level 35: Skarn's Bane (Warlock's Malice)
Level 38: Sigils of Arcane Runes

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
Ego: Insight (3/3)
Ego: Aggression (2/2)
Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
Avenger: Can't Touch This (3/3)
Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
Avenger: Surprise Attack (2/2)
Avenger: Preemptive Strike (3/3)
Overseer: Administer (3/3)
Overseer: Overseer Aura (2/3)
Overseer: Conservation (2/2)
Overseer: Enhanced Gear (3/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

So what do you guys think? I really want to know what holes you guys see here. I am looking for a ranged DPS mage meant for PvE.
Post edited by cyanavenger on

Comments

• theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just a few things:

- I have a "DPS" Mage character, she uses AoPM and crits a lot but has an entirely different build.

- I will say with AoED critical strikes are a mechanic you want to strive to take full advantage of with AoED (for the extra tick of black magic on crit) and crits help with DPS and survival (crit healing)

- I would say perhaps get some DEX statting in there for higher chance. OR gear for crits on top of Ego's Severity and Chance specs.

- Get rid of Accelerated Metabolism. NEVER use it. Like Ever. It is a waste of an advantage point.

- You have no energy unlock (MSA would work here)

- No click heals like Conviction or BCR (can still be part of a magic theme)

- With no PRE statted you are going to have a hard time surviving as Vala's Light can only do so much. It is like a magical version of Psionic Healing. Whilst Vala's in itself is a good power, it is not good for combat situations unless you are a support mage who hasn't got much agro. It basically is a team heal primarily.

- Concentration is a Form Power. It needs no ranks.

I was initially going to just post some pointers but I'll try tweaking your build.
    edited September 2013
    PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Invincible
    Level 6: Enduring
    Level 9: Brilliant
    Level 12: Indomitable
    Level 15: Academics
    Level 18: Ascetic
    Level 21: Healthy Mind

Powers:
    Level 1: Eldritch Bolts
    Level 1: Eldritch Blast (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 6: Aura of Ebon Destruction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Shadow Embrace (Rank 2, Fatal Allure)
    Level 11: Devour Essence (Rank 2, Phlebotomist)
    Level 14: Conviction (Rank 2)
    Level 17: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 20: Concentration
    Level 23: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)
    Level 26: Skarn's Bane (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Masterful Dodge
    Level 32: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Shadow Shroud (Terrifying Visage)
    Level 38: Hex of Suffering (Rank 2, Rune of Lethargy)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Teleportation (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Notes:

- Changed Specs so that you crit more and have more defense (Your DPS will end up at zero if you don't have any defense)

- Removed Pets and Sigils (Summon Time for both will lower your DPS output and could put you in danger)

- Switched out Ebon Rift and Vala's Light.

- Added an Energy unlock which scales with INT (works based off Powers which come off cooldown. Powers like Hex of Suffering, Conviction and Bountiful Chi Resurgence (BCR).

- Added an Active Defensive, Masterful Dodge, doesn't need any ranks to function great. Works well with BCR's advantage.

- Re ranked Skarn's Bane: This will be your main source of DPSing power which doubles as a useful debuff.

- Added Devour Essence (filler power really), it damages foes and heals self, advantage has it rooting your target. I think it is an ok source of DPS (never used it much myself but I hear it is good)

- Added Circle of Primal Dominion - This power will help with overall survival as it provides healing and knock resistance whilst you are in it.

Feel free to change Circle of Primal Dominion and Devour Essence. I think your theme for this was a dark mage of sorts with the darkness attacks you had, so I tried to keep that.

Darkness Pets (summon shadows rank 2 + Advantage) would be a good for self survival and DPS you could replace Devour with that.

If you feel your defense is fine switch out Primal Circle for either Radiant (self rez and heal on tap), Ebon (damage boost, fear application, chance to hold attackers and 83% less healing) or Arcane (continual energy gain).

Or you could go for a pet power if you really wanted to and take it to rank 2 + Unbound Ritual.

I hope this helps.
  • lordofscornlordofscorn Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I just want to echo what Ravenforce said, as I pretty much agree with everything. I would also add that using pets over devour essence is probably the way to go if you are using Aura of Ebon Destruction and the build focus is already ranged. AoED works best with pets that can keep that lightning proc going.
  • cyanavengercyanavenger Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I used Ravenforce's build and it was amazing! great work. I haven't done a ranged DPS character before, but I like it. Feels kinda cool to kill off the badies before they even reach you. Thank you both for your input, works great.
    edited September 2013
    I used Ravenforce's build and it was amazing! great work. I haven't done a ranged DPS character before, but I like it. Feels kinda cool to kill off the badies before they even reach you. Thank you both for your input, works great.

My pleasure ^_^

I am glad you like it :biggrin:
  • cyanavengercyanavenger Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I forgot to mention that I swapped out Con for Dex and it seems to work MUCH better. Con is just like my training wheels so I'm always scared to do a build without it.
    edited September 2013
    I forgot to mention that I swapped out Con for Dex and it seems to work MUCH better. Con is just like my training wheels so I'm always scared to do a build without it.

Yeah, crits do work well with AoED, I kept CON in just in case you were worried about AoED's lack of defense.

With DEX you'll be able to hit harder faster so good call :biggrin:

Also for max DPS when hitting foes, I'd say go for Hex of Suffering first, it takes around .2 secs to actually root and deal damage, in which time you can double up it's DoT damage with Skarn's Bane so foes are well and truly hexed and vexed. :wink:
    edited September 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    really? I always thought hex of suffering was kinda useless. can you give a slightly more detalied explanation of good ways to use it, as it is a cool looking power.

Hex of Suffering can crit and the root it applies pisses off foes.

CharmCaster (since she is spec'd incorrectly) only has 65% Severity but Hex of Suffering crits for around 350 per pulse of damage.

Placing HoS on the centre target of a group is the best source for max HoS usage, this way it can hit, DPS and root all surrounding foes and that enables you to get the best out of Skarn's Bane.

The DPS it has is pretty poor, I don't think it was thought out properly as a power (which is why it is SO disappointing for Grimore ATs) but it still has the perk of being an annoying AoE root power and when combined with Skarn's Bane maintain can wipe out the critters in your way, also it can act as "surprise" death when it crits when Skarn's doesn't for a tick.
  • l1ghtstarl1ghtstar Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The thing with Hex of Suffering is that it got "promoted by default" into being good. Let me explain.

Ego Sprites lasts longer and can be applied twice. It used to be capable of crit, and could cause more damage than Hex of Suffering. But then it got nerfed to be incapable of crit, leaving Hex of Suffering one of the handful, if not the only DoT left that's capable of crit. Hex of Suffering is a good booster in dmg output between Skarn's Bane maintains.
    Light Star Alliance (my toons with build guides & videos)
    Nature Powerset
    @Man.of.Light