test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

After months of hiatus...

wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
Not sure if anyone still remembers me... left the game for 3 - 4 months after they nerfed Revitalize. Was getting a bit bored and was wondering if I should come back to the game but decided that I should pop in to the forum to check out the new developments first.

Lo and behold, I noticed that our almighty devs intend to make the legacy devices unique. I can't say I disagree with this move for balance issues although I have 5 eruptions and 5 NPGs on my main toon.

Anyway here's my two cents worth on it (not that it really matters to anyone). This is a mess that was created by a particular dev whom I have pointed out did not understand the game mechanics and started coming up with changes which threw the game off balance. It is evidence of the unethical, greedy, money-grabbing tactics being employed. Sell your customers goods with said functions and subsequently disabling these functions. Then you release new products and make customers spend again.

I emphasize again, I have nothing against the general principle of making the legacy devices unique as they were originally designed. However, do not compensate your customers with rubbish like unbind tokens or even Zens. In such situations, I think a cash refund should be considered.

What's that I hear? Too much a pinch for the company? Think about the amount that has been ripped off from your paying customers.
Post edited by wesleytansg on

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oh calm down. There's nothing new and pvp is still a mess.

If there is a refund, it needs to take into account all the use that the people who had those devices got out of them. Considering the gross level of power those players got to enjoy for the entire time the devices have been shared-cooldown-free... I would say a single cosmic key and a nicely worded e-mail should suffice... or that unbind token they were talking about.

You know what I'm talking about Mr. Invincible-while-ten-people-shoot-at-you ^_^
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    So, if I bought an Eruption off the market that came from a person who bought a Legacy Device Kit off another player, who got that from the Drifter Salvage that he obtained from opening lockboxes with keys that he bought from a multitude of other players, some of which got their keys by farming Questionite to buy Zen from people who got it free as part of their Lifetime Sub...

Who is entitled to a "cash refund" there? Hopefully not me, I've never paid cash for a Legacy Device, so it would be silly to refund me any amount of cash. Someone in the middle of that convoluted transaction history? How would you decide who deserved it?

Never mind the fact that a cash refund for an item obtained at random from a box purchased with in-game currency that is obtained by using in-game currency that is purchased with a flat-out "No Refunds" policy clearly stated is a bit ridiculous.

The unbind token (or some other method of unbinding; I've heard that the unbind token cannot be done, for some reason) seems more than a fair compromise to me. I doubt that there's really that many people who spent cash specifically to get keys to get drifter salvage to make rolls in hopes of getting specific devices. More likely most people who have the devices bought them, or the Legacy Kits, or the Keys, from other players.
    Who is entitled to a "cash refund" there? Hopefully not me, I've never paid cash for a Legacy Device, so it would be silly to refund me any amount of cash. Someone in the middle of that convoluted transaction history? How would you decide who deserved it?

I know entirely what you mean about the convoluted transaction and the fact that you may not have actually paid cash for it. However, someone ultimately did pay cash for it and he deemed the cash he spent worth whatever amount of Gs or other equivalent you decided to trade him for it. So ultimately, the person at the end of the transaction chain gets the refund because that person is the one who actually bound the device to his/her toon which he/she obtained by some form of trading which bears an equitable value as that of purchasing keys to get the device.

I EMPHASIZE, I have no quarrels regarding the device nerf but the purpose of my thread is to point out that how it is being carried out is, business-wise unethical. If your dev screwed up, you do not make your customers bear the consequences. Do I really need the money? Nope. I am a lifer, and my Zens are piling in those months when I am not playing. I just feel that a company should not be tolerated for such irresponsible actions. Recall the time when they nerfed the prototype jets? They gave a Zen refund. And then, players were aware they are prototypes. These devices were released with no attached notes which says, functionality is still under testing, buy at your own risk.

Spinnytop: Unfortunately, when players bought or traded for the devices, in their minds, they may not be buying or trading them to use for a few months. They would be expecting them to last for the lifespan of the game. I assure you this has nothing to do with my main toon. I gave up on that build when they decided to nerf Revitalize. It is purely about the principles of business operations. I give you the same example I raised sometimes back. If you paid money for a 4G phone and subsequently the phone company release a firmware update which disabled the 4G function and reduce it to only 3G-capable, what would you say? Oh well, at least we got to use 4G for a few months or would you be charging up to their doors asking for a refund?

My friends actually asked me to come back to the game to join them in the new mission but I chose not to. This episode has just reinforced that decision. I am certain this thread will bear no consequences to the decision and the fact that I am not going to return to the game means I should not bother to continue posting or replying.

Biff, if you are still around or TT, feel free to lock this thread.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I was anticipating your return and really expected you to remark on the legacy device situation. Lets see what they do to compensate the players who have multiple bindings.

Though we STILL haven't been fairly compensated by the prototype vehicles. "Rewarded for investing in the vehicles early with a nerf and cut in customization worse than the more freely customizable ones." Cryptic is awful with making things right with their customers when it comes to CO.

Freely discredit me with situations where customers were fairly compensated for their betrayals instead of removing my post or closing the thread.
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Good. My decision to resub and the amount of time I spend playing now rests on your return.
    We missed you when we returned for the Fatal Error mission btw.

I have never cared for devices so no comments on that.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Though we STILL haven't been fairly compensated by the prototype vehicles.
    What? I got my Zees returned and got to keep the Jets.
    I do kind of miss they not giving me a pat to the head.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    wimpazoid wrote: »
    Good. My decision to resub and the amount of time I spend playing now rests on your return.
    We missed you when we returned for the Fatal Error mission btw.

I have never cared for devices so no comments on that.

I know, I know, I am not supposed to be posting anymore but just gonna use this thread to talk to friends so bear with me...

Wimp, since I quit the game a lot of my time goes into killing my liver and lungs LOL. Care to chill out one of these days? My friend has this nice little bistro that sells good food and drinks hehe.
  • xreggiexxreggiex Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    hi wes, sorry to go off topic here, but there's this little hope in me that you will return :D come back and play the mega d event at least? anyway, take care, good luck and have fun
    ATLANTIS (EAST)

D E N O M I N A T O R (R.I.P)
    D E F E N D E R (LIVE!)

INDUCTION ID: 1900138G040407036004540S3f2fb2
  • sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I doubt any company would give you any sort of refund, let alone a cash refund. How long have Legacy devices been used like this? Have they existed for a full year (I honestly don't know)? People got to use it during a certain timeframe to great effect. They got their money's worth.

Nobody got compensated when new gear became available after some people spent a year gearing up, or when powers got nerfed or changed about. I don't think it should be different for these devices and I'm kinda glad you can unbind them at least.

So yea, I disagree with your suggestion.
    edited September 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    What? I got my Zees returned and got to keep the Jets.
    I do kind of miss they not giving me a pat to the head.

I requested a refund for all 3 of mine and got a "we cannot resolve this issue at this time".
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    xreggiex wrote: »
    hi wes, sorry to go off topic here, but there's this little hope in me that you will return :D come back and play the mega d event at least? anyway, take care, good luck and have fun

Yep, Wes, Mega D event incoming. Come back. :3
  • blueionstormzblueionstormz Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hi Wes, *waves* do drop in for a while. :)
    "Reason can get you to probability, but only commitment can get you to certainty." - Timothy Keller
    Archived CO Wiki site
    edited September 2013
    Wimp, since I quit the game a lot of my time goes into killing my liver and lungs LOL. Care to chill out one of these days? My friend has this nice little bistro that sells good food and drinks hehe.

First things first. Since our return, Reg and I have invested heavily in time shares of a certain hot dog stand in front of Champions HQ. As a director of Merlions SG, you are obligated to protect our interests and employee from harassers and/or any Mega Dees that deem fit to terrorise that area. :biggrin:
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I just want to say that I really missed you and your posts. I've learnt a lot about builds and how to survive Gravitar's fight.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    so.... can someone explain to me what legacy devices are being made "unique" and how does beigng unique change it?
  • arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The shared cooldown and only being able to slot one unique item into your device bar is the issue many are having. Think about all those poor dino pheromones. Many will be less attractive to lizardkind now.
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    skcark wrote: »
    so.... can someone explain to me what legacy devices are being made "unique" and how does beigng unique change it?

LordGar can:
    lordgar wrote: »
    Release Notes:
    • All Drifter Legacy Devices are now Unique Equipped. You may not place more than one copy of the same Legacy Device into your Devices toolbar.
    • Some Legacy Devices now share their cooldown with other copies of the same device. This applies to: Omicron Induced Strength, Psionic Surge, Eruption, Echo's Stick, Khusor's Doom, Ice Grenades, and Neuroelectric Pulse Generator.
    • Omicron Induced Strength and Psionic Surge now remove travel powers through the Nailed to the Ground/Freedom! mechanic.
    • Backup! Devices (both permanent and temporary) now summon a Champion who is the same level as the player using the device.
    wimpazoid wrote: »
    First things first. Since our return, Reg and I have invested heavily in time shares of a certain hot dog stand in front of Champions HQ. As a director of Merlions SG, you are obligated to protect our interests and employee from harassers and/or any Mega Dees that deem fit to terrorise that area. :biggrin:

Reg and Wimp:

Well let me get back to the drawing board and min/max another build first. At current status I am in no shape to defend your investment from the purple gang much less to say any Mega-Ds LOL.

Is the current FOTM still snap-bang-bang-bang? Any improvement to crowd control?
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Not sure if anyone still remembers me... left the game for 3 - 4 months after they nerfed Revitalize. Was getting a bit bored and was wondering if I should come back to the game but decided that I should pop in to the forum to check out the new developments first.

Lo and behold, I noticed that our almighty devs intend to make the legacy devices unique. I can't say I disagree with this move for balance issues although I have 5 eruptions and 5 NPGs on my main toon.

Anyway here's my two cents worth on it (not that it really matters to anyone). This is a mess that was created by a particular dev whom I have pointed out did not understand the game mechanics and started coming up with changes which threw the game off balance. It is evidence of the unethical, greedy, money-grabbing tactics being employed. Sell your customers goods with said functions and subsequently disabling these functions. Then you release new products and make customers spend again.

I emphasize again, I have nothing against the general principle of making the legacy devices unique as they were originally designed. However, do not compensate your customers with rubbish like unbind tokens or even Zens. In such situations, I think a cash refund should be considered.

What's that I hear? Too much a pinch for the company? Think about the amount that has been ripped off from your paying customers.

Nothing has changed, I'm still a bawse.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've never multi-slotted the same Legacy device (Lassos, yes :cool:), but I do use Revitalize to make those devices that have very long CDs more useful.

So, I will be disappointed if this UNIQUE tag causes Revitalize to stop working on them. The same way neither INT nor Revitalize reduce the CD of Blood Moon devices (despite what the tooltip says).

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited September 2013
    Is the current FOTM still snap-bang-bang-bang? Any improvement to crowd control?
    We can have a secret rendezvous in-game, and commune with the hive mind. But since all of us have been away, it's likely we'll come up with a whole lot of nothing! :eek:
    edited September 2013

It was NPGx4 combo with Unleashed Rage, throwing in some Ice Nades.

It should go back to Force Geyser/TGM unless you encounter the Sleep/Shadow Strike or Bolas/Strafing Run.

And yes, everyone still spams the ever loving out of EM.