test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is Champions' PnP world still ending in four years?

foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
Or does Hero Games have plans to update Galactic Champions to 6E with a deadline that's farther in the future?
Post edited by foxyperson on

Comments

• Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    While I'm not a representative of the company, from all the remarks I've read from staff and former staff on their forums, I feel confident in asserting that Hero Games has no current plans to update any of their older published Champions books, nor to expand the line with new publications. However, that doesn't account for what licensees may be working on, e.g. former Hero prez Darren Watts's long-in-development Golden Age Champions.

That said, the official date for the end of the superhero era (which is 2020) was established for the pre-Cryptic version of Champions. Champions Online modified several background details of the setting, some of which have already been included in Hero Games books written after Cryptic purchased the IP. I think it's a safe bet that that particular detail is subject to change should it prove inconvenient in the future. That wouldn't even necessarily affect any of Hero Games's future-era setting books like Galactic Champions, which take place centuries from now.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Is Champions' PnP world still ending in four years?

If CO doesn't shut down before that.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My understanding of the contract between Cryptic Studios and Hero Games was that the Champions Universe IP would revert back to Hero's ownership in the event of some catastrophic collapse by Cryptic. I wonder if simply shutting the game down would qualify? Or maybe if nothing is done with the property after X years?

As a PnP and Champs Uni fan, I must admit that prospect would give me a small measure of comfort.