test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

That's All I Can Stands, I Can't Stands No More!

canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
Deathmetal. Lilith. Stiches. Destructo. Backstab. Livewire.

Such awful, awful, awful eyesores. It's time to clean them up. Consider it an anniversary gift.

Cryptic is probably not going to pay the least amount of attention to this thread, but let's come up with alternate costume designs for the Six Pestilent Pustules that don't look like the devs were using the randomizer when drunk out of their skulls. The names are evocative enough. Let's see what you can do with them, costume-wise. Post in this thread.

Deadline: September 20, midnight pdt. I don't have much in the way of prizes to give, but two cosmic keys will go to those who produce the ones I like best. One winner for each character. As my costume judging skills are not necessarily the norm for this game, feel free to give Gs or keys to the designers of the ones you like as well, and name your picks. Keep the contest reasonably light-hearted and fun.

And yes, go ahead and gender switch the characters if you want. For Lilith, I pretty much expect it. Assume they keep their current powerset. You will be required to attach your costume file (by saving your character, and then going into your screenshots directory and attaching it to your post.)
/CanadaBanner4.jpg
Post edited by canadascott on

Comments

• leroyswishleroyswish Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    large.png?1378918358

This is my current character in Champions Online: Stitch.
    See Stitch on PRIMUS Database

If you have to force a fart, it's probably s***
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Deathmetal. Lilith. Stiches. Destructo. Backstab. Livewire.

Such awful, awful, awful eyesores. It's time to clean them up. Consider it an anniversary gift.
    [snip]
    Assume they keep their current powerset.

This sounds like fun! I'll be honest though, I just try to destroy any nem fast enough that I don't pay attention to what the powers are... Mind listing them out for a reference?
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've already got a Deathmetal design, just have to recreate it and save the file. I'll start thinking about the others, though... :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    This sounds like fun! I'll be honest though, I just try to destroy any nem fast enough that I don't pay attention to what the powers are... Mind listing them out for a reference?

They're all Infernal Supernaturals, IIRC.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They're all Infernal Supernaturals, IIRC.

Aye. All spew the poison and stuff.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • vizzonevizzone Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I was tinkering around in the tailor the other day and realized the pink skin tone color could be used for slightly more sinister purposes than making naked characters. Here's 'Stitches', or as some Demonologists call him, Buffalo Bill, sporting his favorite human skin coat and pants with a 100% authentic Malvan bandanna!

iz6t.png05zh.png

I'll admit I'm better at ideas than implementation, so if anyone wants to improve/build off this, [URL="[url]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af310/ShadeShield/Costume_Vizzone_NoName_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432235607.jpg[/url]"]here's[/URL] the costume file. It's my first time sharing a file, so I hope that worked.

Edit: This was probably a bad choice for 'Light-hearted'.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Bill looks like he needs to put the lotion on his skin.

Very good idea Thundrax. In 2009 I actually made a nemesis called Stitches. I didn't port my CO files from my laptop when I got this wonderful (by comparison) desktop, I'll open my old laptop or just make a new design.

Also cmon Cryptic, they shouldn't all have the same power set. Looks sloppy, lazy, and this should be an easy fix.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think it would be more amusing to make the random nemesis line up be the devs.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Cryptic is probably not going to pay the least amount of attention to this thread, but let's come up with alternate costume designs for the Six Pestilent Pustules that don't look like the devs were using the randomizer when drunk out of their skulls. The names are evocative enough. Let's see what you can do with them, costume-wise. Post in this thread.)

Cool idea and already getting some nice responses. I wish I were any good with character design, but I'm lucky to get something I'm willing to tolerate. So I'll just observe and root from the sidelines.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is my nemesis Deathmetal, he is not a scourge
    Costume_kittykaboomboom_Irinia_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_431944926_zps50b5f5a1.jpg
    more mettalic
    Costume_CloudsatDawn_Heras_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_414239132_zpsd9cd74f2.jpg
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited September 2013
    Lilith
    Costume_CloudsatDawn_Emily_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_402489115_zps857f8ac6.jpg
    or non demonic
    Costume_CloudsatDawn_Emily_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_402488403_zpsd894d1af.jpg

edited September 2013
    sillier ones(these are both characters by the way)
    Costume_kittykaboomboom_DaBean_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_412565135_zps857070bd.jpg
    Costume_CloudsatDawn_GrinandBearit_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_418493649_zps9e42159d.jpg

• article001article001 Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    who cares, you only have to see them for 2 minutes at a time.

alerts are the most pathetic excuse for mmo content ive ever seen.
    edited September 2013
    article001 wrote: »
    who cares, you only have to see them for 2 minutes at a time.

alerts are the most pathetic excuse for mmo content ive ever seen.
    Thank you ever so much for this deep, meaningful, educational, and valuable contribution to the discussion at hand. Whatever would we do without your special insights? Why, no one has ever made such an observation before!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2013
    Hrm. I've never fully noticed the costumes on them -- can someone post some screens?
    edited September 2013
    Proposal for Deathmetal:

Front view -
    DeathmetalFront_zpsa24dfbac.png

Back view -
    DeathmetalRear_zps5565c9b7.png

Costume file -
    Costume_JonSills_HappifunSecuritySystemX-4_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432264225_zps1329e186.jpg

edited September 2013
    Proposal for Livewire:

Pic -
    Livewire_zps9c360ed5.png

Costume file -
    Costume_JonSills_HappifunSecuritySystemX-4_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432264460_zps769c32f4.jpg

edited September 2013
    Hrm. I've never fully noticed the costumes on them -- can someone post some screens?

I don't have a screenshot of him, but a potential generic nemesis is a bald albino half naked clown with a freakish face wearing red and blue face paint, striped shorts, and flippers.

It is not pretty.

Edit: Well, I tried to get you some pictures during today's Dockside Dustup Nemesis Alert. I did about ten, and not a single generic nemesis appeared. And yet when I don't care about screenshots, they're everywhere. Friggin' trolls.
  • cptcooltasticcptcooltastic Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited September 2013

:eek:ARE YOU MAD!!!

I hope your monitor is still under warranty.:tongue:

PS: Remember that contest I thought would be a good idea to have to replace these Generic Nemesis with player created villains. Well, someone beat ya to it. But all is not lost! You could give this thread some official backing, maybe get the winners of this thread to actually replace the old eye soars.:biggrin:
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Or just use the gazillion entries from the Desing A Villain contest.
    Like FridgeMan and CrotchBurn...
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited September 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    CrotchBurn

mj-sooo-cute-michael-jackson-funny-moments-13450863-633-465.jpg

*snickers*
    edited September 2013
    now that is just plain creepy. ^^^

Jonsills, if your Deathmetal gets used. I demand that he be allowed to use the air guitar emote before attacking.

• jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Classic tights look for "Livewire".

Ended up using this for my giant black-and-copper Power Armor so that I could kill some electric minions for the Copper Top title.

livewire.jpg
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Also cmon Cryptic, they shouldn't all have the same power set. Looks sloppy, lazy, and this should be an easy fix.

I don't think they're supposed to all have the same power set; I think it's supposed to be randomly generated. For some reason, it's always randomly picking Infernal Supernatural. There's a couple possible reasons this could be happening. Some are easier to fix than others.
    I made another one. Meet Death Metal, the disgruntled musician turned supervillain because no one came to his shows.

I was trying to go for a basic metalhead look augmented with some sound amplifying tech. The back/shoulder pads are meant to be part of a speaker system, and the gloves/bracers are where he can amplify the sound into bone shattering blasts. Sure would be nice to have a sonic set.... But I suppose we can handwave that into his music being so utterly horrible that it quite literally is toxic filth poisoning people's minds (and bodies).

Costume_Vizzone_NoName_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432352858.jpg
    edited September 2013
    vizzone wrote: »
    I made another one. Meet Death Metal, the disgruntled musician turned supervillain because no one came to his shows.

I was trying to go for a basic metalhead head look augmented with some sound amplifying tech. The back/shoulder pads are meant to be part of a speaker system, and the gloves/bracers are where he can amplify the sound into bone shattering blasts. Sure would be nice to have a sonic set.... But I suppose we can handwave that into his music being so utterly horrible that it quite literally is toxic filth poisoning people's minds (and bodies).

Costume_Vizzone_NoName_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432352858.jpg
    And he has a theme song!

• towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited September 2013

What for? Will these screenshots be brought to the attention of someone on the dev team that can or will work towards actually putting together some better costumes and not just pressing the random button a dozen times? Or are you just wanting some pictures to look at while you're away for the week?

Pardon the mildly disrespectful tone but these are serious questions. If the Ask Cryptic answers regarding the Nemesis Alerts are any indication of the dev team's stance on the subject then I'm doubtful this is something that will get seriously looked at. I'm not going to go through the trouble of running every Nem Alert I can this weekend and take screenshots if nothing will be done about it.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited September 2013

Named them,

Oddly Long Really Skinny Lady In A Tophat That Could Be Lilith
    Short Odd Clown Gremlin Guy That Could Be Stitches
    Tall Robot In A Skirt That Could Be Death Metal
    Bulky Robot Dude That Could Be Destructo
    Intrestingly Dark Lady That Could Be Lilith
    Red/Black Guy With Swords That Could Be Backstab
    Odd German Guy With Apparatus On His Back That Could Be Destructo or Backstab

Who else is there?

Oh yeah, allmost forgot

Horsefaced Demon With Skinny Arms That Could Be Anyone Mentioned Above.
    Purple PowerArmorish Dressed Nakkid Chick.
    Bulky Spikey Necked Dude With A Robotic Leg
    Small Chinaman In A Black/Red DragonPyjama
    edited September 2013
    As best I can tell, the costume is randomized each time. (As are the minions.) The only constant is that they seem to be Scourges, or something similar.

• skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    who exactly are these characters? i assumed we were the ones who made our nemesis, not cryptic.
    edited September 2013
    Default nemeses. For the 7-24 levels. Since those are unable to make their own, so Cryptic made these so everyone can enjoy Nemesis Smashes. And occasionally, people 25+ levels can enjoy these creations, if someone without nemesis happens to pop along the Smash Alert.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,069 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    skcark wrote: »
    who exactly are these characters? i assumed we were the ones who made our nemesis, not cryptic.
    Default nemeses. For the 7-24 levels. Since those are unable to make their own, so Cryptic made these so everyone can enjoy Nemesis Smashes. And occasionally, people 25+ levels can enjoy these creations, if someone without nemesis happens to pop along the Smash Alert.

Aaaahhhhhhhh ..... I was wondering about that.

And a few reasons lvl 40s play the Nemesis Alerts: Q boxes, seeing others' Nem concepts (for me), seeing my Nem displayed and getting their nem mission drop.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited September 2013
    Holy crappoolio. I sounded a bit too positive there.
    I mean i'm fine with Default Nemeses. But come on, they should have put a bit more time/though when making them. The current implemention sucks.
    There. I feel so much better now.

But usually when i run these, my nemesis can pop up +20 times in a row.
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I've met someone who was lv 40 in a nem alert once and didn't even know there was a nemesis system on this game.

Gladly pointed him in the right direction.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    But usually when i run these, my nemesis can pop up +20 times in a row.

I can vouch for this. Haha.
    biffsig.jpg
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I can vouch for this. Haha.

It's incredibly streaky. For a while, Penelope Propane was selected for my nemesis alerts darn near every other run. Broad Street Bully, on the other hand, has only turned up twice. All of the other times, it's been a Scourge dude named Lilith wearing an old Darth Jiggly kit.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • orrynnorrynn Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just for fun I Made all six of them. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vl58ay3wvcoy6yx/Nems.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    O.K. here's what I gots' so far:
    Deathmetal: Ragnarock 'N' Roll
    screenshot_2013-09-13-17-50-43_zps35843cc1.jpg
    screenshot_2013-09-13-17-50-47_zps73953ca9.jpg
    Costume_JOrifice_CaptainNineties_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432424228_zpsf865d3c3.jpg

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
    edited September 2013
    Livewire:
    screenshot_2013-09-13-18-18-15_zps24c59292.jpg
    screenshot_2013-09-13-18-18-17_zpsfab94732.jpg
    Costume_JOrifice_CaptainNineties_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432425890_zpsdf58efe4.jpg

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
    edited September 2013
    Destructo, the Infernal Machine!
    Costume_JOrifice_CaptainNineties_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432427228_zpse86b50c7.jpg
    Costume_JOrifice_CaptainNineties_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432427157_zps400c4a02.jpg
    Costume_JOrifice_CaptainNineties_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432427273_zpsee34c88a.jpg
    screenshot_2013-09-13-18-43-54_zpsf2102733.jpg

edited September 2013
    Backstab: I tried for Horror Movie Creepy with a Side Of Slenderman and a Pyramidhead Garnish:smile:

screenshot_2013-09-13-18-52-46_zps087f9afb.jpg
    screenshot_2013-09-13-18-52-49_zpse5598ba1.jpg
    screenshot_2013-09-13-18-56-37_zps6f2d6aa4.jpg

edited September 2013
    A couple of Backstabs got cut off:
    screenshot_2013-09-13-18-56-28_zpsc09b852e.jpg
    Costume_JOrifice_CaptainNineties_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432427931_zps4062d7b1.jpg
    Costume_JOrifice_CaptainNineties_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432427971_zps0c4667f5.jpg

edited September 2013
    orrynn wrote: »
    Just for fun I Made all six of them. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vl58ay3wvcoy6yx/Nems.jpg

Livewire looks like a male stripper.
    as for the powers.
    The RNG worked for about the first week, then it got stuck on scourge.
    as of ASK cryptic answers in March, they have no plans to fix it

• colonelmarikcolonelmarik Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    While I think some of these are pretty cool, I refuse to support the use of these utterly lame characters when there are SO MANY actual Champions characters that they could be using.

How about Professor Muerte and his team? EUROSTAR, for heaven's sake. I never thought I'd MISS Fiacho. Neutron, Firewing, ANKYLOSAUR, Black Paladin... I could go on and on and on. HOW many Enemies books were published?

I know, it's Champions more or less in name only, but we have Defender and Dr. Destroyer, and a few of the others. Let's dig into the history of the actual game and use some of those kinds of characters.

That the devs are not going to do anything with this - not even to FIX THEIR MISTAKES, is unbelieveable to me. The Nemesis system has SO much potential, it's incredibly lazy and shortsighted to ignore it.

Come on guys. Do something productive with the nemesis system. There have been MANY suggestions over the years (I know, I've made several myself).
    Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1108521
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited September 2013
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My Idea for the the Lilith nem.

e6618ed3f7118d42863ea8c90f38bced1379282583.jpg
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited September 2013
    I took the obvious route for Lilith - succubus summoned by DEMON, broke her binding, brought in a couple friends from hell to be her lackeys, and now goes around causing havoc for magical heroes.

I'm actually rather annoyed with the costume file, as her twisting waist cape doesn't show the pattern on it. It's Arcane 2, matches her red belt at the top and fades down to deep purple. A golden V separates the two colors.

Costume_Vizzone_NoName_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432608908.jpg
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
    edited September 2013
    I've come up with an idea for Destructo, but can't seem to get the execution right.

Basically, the name sounds like a cheesy kid's show antagonist. I tried to run with that and make him Chief Fumigator to an Evil Emperor in a cartoon show. By 'Chief Fumigator' I mean 'Henchman who hunts down superheroes who survived his boss taking over the world and sprays them nerve toxin/mind control gas, depending on his mood/whether his boss wants them alive'. He fails to kill the protagonists too many times, so the Emperor does the cliche of killing him off in the show by throwing him in a disintegration portal. Turns out the cartoon is in a parallel dimension and the disintegration portal pops Destructo into existence in Millennium City. Naturally, he goes on a hero gassing spree to get himself back in the boss's good graces.

For such an easy concept to think up, I cannot get this guy's outfit right. Here are the two main ones I've got so far. I'll probably revisit the idea once inspiration strikes and edit this post. That or give up.

Edit: Did some work, still not sure if I like it. Looks more toxic, at least.

Costume_Vizzone_NoName_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_432795106.jpg
    edited September 2013
    That September 20th Deadline, is there any way we can get an extension? Maybe some time during the weekend? I still have 4 to go!:tongue: