test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lockbox Costume frustrations/theories

keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
I just can't help but feel a little bit of loss at all of the cool costume parts I'm never going to get to use because of lockboxes. All of the Malvan stuff, the SOCRATES stuff and now the new Sharkfin set...

It's still possible to make great costumes without these pieces, however. Arguably, the costume pieces in the boxes are frustratingly niche compared to what we already have, and while the pieces are nice to have, I have never seen a case where one of these pieces makes a costume. More often than not, including the pieces breaks the costume by virtue of improper scaling and such.

Maybe that's why they're released in lockboxes? Because they aren't all that helpful in the long run? Really, the quality of said costume pieces are dubious at best from what I've seen from them, and their rarity and player market prices are very restrictive in getting the parts.

That's my theory. If these were released as full costume sets, the quality and usefulness of the parts would be unacceptable.
Post edited by keikomyst on

Comments

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You might be on to something - on average, costume sets in the past were released with a slew of extra options. Even costume sets that were theoretically just one outfit (Retro Sci-Fi and Harmon Mk II armor) had more parts and settings than many of the recent sets. (Both have options for alternate textures. And even in raw numbers of parts. Both the SOCRATES and Malvan boxes only carry 4 possible costume pieces. The aforementioned sets had upwards of 8.)

Still, would be nice to maybe like 4 months down the line release them as either several low cost costume sets (~100 Z) or maybe just one big, standard price costume set.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited September 2013
    From what I saw lockboxed costume additions aren't that good. Limited theme, few parts, few texture options. This shark set is a first one close to being generic enough.

It looks like those costumes were made by someone who's learning how to work with models for Cryptic engine.
  • borg10f9borg10f9 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    I just can't help but feel a little bit of loss at all of the cool costume parts I'm never going to get to use because of lockboxes. All of the Malvan stuff, the SOCRATES stuff and now the new Sharkfin set...

It's still possible to make great costumes without these pieces, however. Arguably, the costume pieces in the boxes are frustratingly niche compared to what we already have, and while the pieces are nice to have, I have never seen a case where one of these pieces makes a costume. More often than not, including the pieces breaks the costume by virtue of improper scaling and such.

Maybe that's why they're released in lockboxes? Because they aren't all that helpful in the long run? Really, the quality of said costume pieces are dubious at best from what I've seen from them, and their rarity and player market prices are very restrictive in getting the parts.

That's my theory. If these were released as full costume sets, the quality and usefulness of the parts would be unacceptable.

I am not sure what you mean about never getting to use these costumes. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen these pieces for sale in the Auction House. They may not be cheap, but they can be had.

It's the same if they're drops: I loved the Gravitar costume, and tried to farm for it, but I've played the Gravitar Alert probably close to 100 times, and never seen a single drop of anything! So I saved my Globals and bought each piece one by one till I had everything. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it.

I would prefer to do away with lockboxes, and just purchase things through Zen, Questionite or Globals; but it doesn't stop me from getting anything, I work just as hard albeit differently than with a drop.

At least I am not forced into buying the costume set in the Zen Store. I always wound up paying real money for those costumes - now I spend less per month. Thanks Cryptic, for saving me money:wink:
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think I am only mad because with the new Shark Fin stuff it is a whole set, vs 1-3 pieces. Amplify it by the fact we havn't had a new set int he Z-Store in forever when we keep telling the Devs it is stuff we will pay for...it is just such BS. I just wish DCOU didn't didn't completely suck so I could have another option to go to.

More and more it astounds me how this company (more PWE than Cryptic) stays open in this market. Could be worse I guess, we could be Neverwinter, the keys their cost more than ours.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    From what I saw lockboxed costume additions aren't that good. Limited theme, few parts, few texture options. This shark set is a first one close to being generic enough.

It looks like those costumes were made by someone who's learning how to work with models for Cryptic engine.

The only costume parts/sets from lockboxes that seemed to have real versatility potential in recent memory were the ones from the Cursed/Scourge and Mountain boxes.

Everything since has just felt too single-focus. The Shark set being the most recent example - I can't really think of anything other than itself that most of those parts could go with.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    Maybe that's why they're released in lockboxes? Because they aren't all that helpful in the long run?

The lockboxes are most likely used because they get more money per set by selling boxes than they do just selling the thing straight off in the C Store.

For instance, previous costume sets were like 4 or 5 bucks. Even for a four-piece costume set, unless you're really really lucky, you'll need to buy way more than 4 or 5 keys to get the set.

That's my guess, too. I hope the costumes become more robust as the Cryptic North guys get more comfortable.
    biffsig.jpg
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,123 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks!! :biggrin:

EDIT: I am not sure if it was Smackwell or Bluhman, but ty ^^
  • crosnightcrosnight Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    remeber the good old days: where costume sets were released to the zstore instead of being in gambleboxes?
    when was the last costume set released? some time before the lemurian invasion (i think)?
    if the costumes came out in a set later i wouldnt be this annoyed but seriously: this whole lockbox thing is out of control. customization is a large part of the game and getting the other costume unlocks is hard enough, even if your sub'd.
    whoever thought it was a good idea to put costumes in lockboxes should be fired for incompetence. i enjoy just going in the costume creator and just making costumes but i DONT wanna spend my money work all day for Q to buy keys just for A SMALL CHANCE at a costume drop. the rate is probably as bad as normal costume drops from bosses and you expect me to pay in a "almost always lose" chance?

did this game turn into Champions' online VEGAS?
    let me just pull up a chair to a slot machine and pull the lever oh i lost *gets 25 R3 mods most likely some useless mod that barely anyone uses, and an exp booster and 2 salvage* welp thats totally not going to be useless (speaking of salvage: MAKE IT ACCOUNT BOUND ALREADY, i dont want to keep track on which character has how much salave) i hope they dont make online gambleing illegal otherwise PW would be in trouble
  • vizzonevizzone Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    crosnight wrote: »
    remeber the good old days: where costume sets were released to the zstore instead of being in gambleboxes?
    when was the last costume set released? some time before the lemurian invasion (i think)?
    if the costumes came out in a set later i wouldnt be this annoyed but seriously: this whole lockbox thing is out of control. customization is a large part of the game and getting the other costume unlocks is hard enough, even if your sub'd.

I believe the last set was Nighthawk. The wiki says that event went live August 31, 2012.... So, a little over a whole year now.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Keys. Keys are the main selling point that brings in the resources. Like it's been stated. So they make more stuff that needs Keys.
    Ofcourse, there isn't much else to spend your Zen in the Store anyway.
    And the thing is, the latest BoxCostume "Sets" aren't even something i really have need to get. Gladiator... We got plenty of 'I Sparticus' pieces all ready. Socrates... The bracers are nice. Sharkanado... LEMURIA!!! 'nuff said. Well the Helmet looks interesting.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!