test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rookie Powe leveling question

neverwinter1973neverwinter1973 Posts: 203 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
1. Will you eventually get all the powers of a selected class by level 40 ?

2. If so, is it best to purchase powers in order as you level up ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    1. Will you eventually get all the powers of a selected class by level 40 ?

    2. If so, is it best to purchase powers in order as you level up ?

    1) Are you playing an Archtype or a Freeform?
    a) Archtypes: You are on a set path with only a few choices in Power Selection at specific Levels.
    b)Freeform: You can choose from any power who's prerequisites you meet, so, no, you will never get ALL the powers.

    2) You may want to check out the Builds section of the Forum for specific Guides.
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160

    Keep in mind that Champions Online does not have "Classes" Per Sei, especially with a Freeform toon. And it is actually DIFFICULT to make a Toon useless. Almost anything you make can Level solo from 1-40, even the Archtypes.

    'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • neverwinter1973neverwinter1973 Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    1) Are you playing an Archtype or a Freeform?
    a) Archtypes: You are on a set path with only a few choices in Power Selection at specific Levels.
    b)Freeform: You can choose from any power who's prerequisites you meet, so, no, you will never get ALL the powers.

    2) You may want to check out the Builds section of the Forum for specific Guides.
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160

    Keep in mind that Champions Online does not have "Classes" Per Sei, especially with a Freeform toon. And it is actually DIFFICULT to make a Toon useless. Almost anything you make can Level solo from 1-40, even the Archtypes.

    Hmmmm, not sure which one of those I am. I know I chose Behemoth as a power, which I thought was a class before you corrected me.

    I'll check out that build link and see what I can figure out. I take it you have to buy some type of mod with real life money if you're not happy with the powers you choose ?
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Behemoth is an Archetype. You will get all of the powers listed for the Behemoth, aside from those where it shows two different ones, in which you have to choose between them.

    Wiki has the power list Here.
    @HangingDeath

    Deliciously nutritious!
  • neverwinter1973neverwinter1973 Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Behemoth is an Archetype. You will get all of the powers listed for the Behemoth, aside from those where it shows two different ones, in which you have to choose between them.

    Thanks.

    Do you have a link on how to assign powers to your tray ? I'm thinking you simply drag the power to the desired tray number but I'm not sure how that's done yet.

    Appreciate the reponse.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Click the thunderbolt on the power tray. It will bring up all of your powers and then you will be able to move them around your try. Or I believe you can hold down CTRL then click and hold the power icon and move it.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • neverwinter1973neverwinter1973 Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    Click the thunderbolt on the power tray. It will bring up all of your powers and then you will be able to move them around your try. Or I believe you can hold down CTRL then click and hold the power icon and move it.

    Appreciated. Thanks.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks.

    Do you have a link on how to assign powers to your tray ? I'm thinking you simply drag the power to the desired tray number but I'm not sure how that's done yet.

    Appreciate the reponse.

    Just hit the "P" key to open up your Powers window, click on the Power you want to move, and drag it where you want to move it to. You can also rearrange the powers on your Tray the some way.

    'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Also, if no one has mentioned it yet, when you finish the Tutorial and hit LVL 10 go back to the Taylor and check out all the new options! You will be surprised at all the cool new stuff for your Toon.

    'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,314 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Also, if no one has mentioned it yet, when you finish the Tutorial and hit LVL 10 go back to the Taylor and check out all the new options! You will be surprised at all the cool new stuff for your Toon.
    That is indeed one of the less-well-considered things done by Cryptic/PWE - the point of this game, besides being all super and stuff, is how well you can individualize your character, and then they go and hide more than half the options from new players until they hit lvl 10. On the plus side, at least it'll all be unlocked for your second toon, assuming you make one (and that's a pretty safe bet - this game feeds altaholism something awful).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

    - David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    That is indeed one of the less-well-considered things done by Cryptic/PWE - the point of this game, besides being all super and stuff, is how well you can individualize your character, and then they go and hide more than half the options from new players until they hit lvl 10. On the plus side, at least it'll all be unlocked for your second toon, assuming you make one (and that's a pretty safe bet - this game feeds altaholism something awful).

    I can see the concept in that for a first timer the full list of options could e overwhelming. I remember I spent 2 hours in the costume generator for my first character in City and with all the differences here (I knew about the level 10 thing from friends so I got to 10 with the default look, then made a costume) I still needed a bit over an hour.

    In most other games I needed less than 10 minutes to jump in and play.

    Of course, the character generator and costumes do become part of the game. So there is that side of it.

    Anyway, this long rambling thing is just me saying, I get why they did it. I don't agree, but at least I can see the theory of getting a new player into the game quickly.
Sign In or Register to comment.