test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

More Adventure Packs Could Be A Good Investment

kaosarcannakaosarcanna Posts: 124 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
So I'm planning on running through all the Adventure Packs on one character of mine, and with Double Q weekend I decided that tonight I'd go ahead and do Whiteout as it's one of my favorite adventure packs.

As I'm getting ready to start, a guy asks in Zone Chat if anyone would help him do Whiteout as he's never done it before. Since I wasn't in any particular hurry, I invited him to come along.

He enjoyed it. Like me, he enjoyed the music and the creepiness of the first few missions ... and he liked getting the sidekick and the temporary travel power.

When we were done, he said, "Man, I gotta get a subscription to this game."

Just wanted to share this in case the powers that be might be talked into making some more Adventure Packs sometime. :D
Post edited by kaosarcanna on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They stepped away from the Adventure Packs and moved to the Comic Series, then they moved to the current 'Event Thingie'.
    So basically 'The Events' are stripped down Adventure Packs.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    At first, I wasn't a big fan of Whiteout, mostly due to the final boss.

Nowadays? It's probably the Comic Series/Adventure Pack I've done the most. I find it pretty good for earning Q, I definitely plan to hit it this weekend.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The CoX crowd would love some more TF/CS/APs, especially ones around Whiteout in length.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited September 2013
    I believe everyone would love more playable content.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    According to their numbers, Whiteout was such a population failure that they stopped midway and released it as is without putting in a Whiteout Complete version with extra drops and bug removal. Aftershock did incredibly well for population numbers because of Aftershock Complete. Someone dropped the ball when reading Whiteout's results prematurely.

The other theory is that they didn't WANT all those private instances loading because NWO "needed" the space more.
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They stepped away from the Adventure Packs and moved to the Comic Series, then they moved to the current 'Event Thingie'.
    So basically 'The Events' are stripped down Adventure Packs.

Saying the new events are like stripped down adventure packs is like saying a stick of gum is a stripped down 5 course meal.

We havent had any decent length playable content since perfect world took over.

Yes we have had content and i agree some of it has been very good, but we need more than 5 minute bite size entres, we need a main course!
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    According to their numbers, Whiteout was such a population failure that they stopped midway and released it as is without putting in a Whiteout Complete version with extra drops and bug removal. Aftershock did incredibly well for population numbers because of Aftershock Complete. Someone dropped the ball when reading Whiteout's results prematurely.

The other theory is that they didn't WANT all those private instances loading because NWO "needed" the space more.

Aftershock wasn't the success you think it was.

Aftershock was left over project that was draining Atari of resources while this game wasn't making profits. Cryptic lost Atari 7 million before Atari sold it to PWE in May.

June and July were huge population explosions on Steam. 12,000 logins over 48 hours just off Steam, it was glorious, well except for chat always breaking and teams always being in random zones, one of maybe seventeen millennium city zones or several Canada or Desert zones.

Aftershock hit the shelves in August, the population also had a huge dip around mid-August like it did this year. Down from seventeen zones of MC to six, two zones of Canada Crisis down to two players in Canada Crisis.

And it just kept sliding.
    Whiteout and the winter event came along and every one was pretty much universally disappointed and it got even worse. Champions Online dropped off the Steam top 100 with less than 700 out of 12 million players playing the game for even a minute over 48 hours.

Then there was the free total retcons, twice, Westside update, desert touch up, crisis level change, new powerhouse, earth powerset. Then we got a new producer and he rolled out the Alerts system. Instant teaming to dry the tears of the 'there's not enough teaming' crying crowd.
    Aftershock, whiteout, demonflame, resistance all became free content.
    Champions Online slid silently back on the Steam top 100 again until late July 2012. Woohoo.

But the population, while all that content is free to play now, is dismal. There are no millions and multitudes downloading this game and logging in for Aftershock.

Search Youtube for Champions Online Aftershock, count up all the hits from all the video's, does that number spell out 'especially successful'? I don't think so.
    edited September 2013
    Saying the new events are like stripped down adventure packs is like saying a stick of gum is a stripped down 5 course meal.

We havent had any decent length playable content since perfect world took over.

Yes we have had content and i agree some of it has been very good, but we need more than 5 minute bite size entres, we need a main course!

If it's Bacon taste.

I guess the definition of 'stripped' doesn't mean what you think it means.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Resistance, Demonflame, and Serpent Lantern were Adventure packs. Whiteout is a comic series, which were always free. Which to me made me think they were never worth the investment, free gets you nothing (but hey I am not a businessman.)

I loved the adventure packs, but they were obviously not that successful. I loved them because all the content came out for you to do, all at once. While comic series were fun, I hated waiting for the next issue (I am impatient.)

In eac case, they did get better and better, and I would definately take them over the current "event" structure structure any day. I HATE Alerts, but the final missions for all of the events have been great. All have been neat additions tot he game, when they are around.

It would be much better if they could just be set up as adventure packs via Until and just go run them when you want.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Search Youtube for Champions Online Aftershock, count up all the hits from all the video's, does that number spell out 'especially successful'? I don't think so.

I don't look at youtube numbers since its used as an adverising source and Cryptic is terrible (doesn't) at advertising their product. I also don't see how looking at youtube is relevant to game numbers.

But judging from what you say about the population numbers, Champions was never worth it and hope is entirely unfounded and pointless to have about this game from the beginning.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Adventure Packs/Comic Series should be serving the same purpose that Task Forces did in CoH, or that Dungeons, Lairs, Instances or Raids do in other MMOs: They should be the big tasks that are frequently repeated to get good and rare (often BoP) equipment from. They should have a variety of unique and interesting mobs and mechanics to keep them interesting. By doing so, they entice supergroups/guilds to form and remain in the game for long periods of time, chasing the shiny.

The current events are a step in the right direction: They have the unique mobs and mechanics, and the rare loot, but they're so short that it's incredibly easy to run them repeatedly to the point of burnout in a week or two. The Alert rotation just adds an artificial time gate that slows the frustration, but adds the annoyance of the inability to run the content you want to until it rotates back in.

We need more costume parts, devices and equipment added to the current Adventure Packs, and then new APs added in, likewise with additional things that are worth farming. There won't be any noticeable immediate return, especially if they're released free (which they should be); the return will be in the form of player retention, which leads to increased revenue from subscriptions and Zen purchases.
    it would be a great idea to make more aps and comic series :)
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Adventure Packs/Comic Series should be serving the same purpose that Task Forces did in CoH, or that Dungeons, Lairs, Instances or Raids do in other MMOs: They should be the big tasks that are frequently repeated to get good and rare (often BoP) equipment from. They should have a variety of unique and interesting mobs and mechanics to keep them interesting. By doing so, they entice supergroups/guilds to form and remain in the game for long periods of time, chasing the shiny.

The current events are a step in the right direction: They have the unique mobs and mechanics, and the rare loot, but they're so short that it's incredibly easy to run them repeatedly to the point of burnout in a week or two. The Alert rotation just adds an artificial time gate that slows the frustration, but adds the annoyance of the inability to run the content you want to until it rotates back in.

We need more costume parts, devices and equipment added to the current Adventure Packs, and then new APs added in, likewise with additional things that are worth farming. There won't be any noticeable immediate return, especially if they're released free (which they should be); the return will be in the form of player retention, which leads to increased revenue from subscriptions and Zen purchases.

I agree!

#Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!