test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So I accidentally mistelled my password in vent and the change password page is broke

chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
I... Don't even have words for how much this pisses me off. A pack of 15 people has my password, and I CAN'T DO A THING ABOUT IT. FIX THIS, WTF GUYS.

Why the hell is this even a thing?!? What the F*ck kind of mmo won't let you change your damn password? My account is compromised, and I can't f*cking fix it because of a bug. What the f*ck. I don't even. Why the hell am I wasting my money on this game? This is blatantly f*cking ridiculous.

I had to search around for a DIFFERENT pwe game to change my password. Let me be blunt: if I were trying to buy zen off the website and accidentally mistelled into jabber when talking in zone on CO? My account would be dead. The pack of legions I'm sitting on would be gone.

Unfreakingbelievable.
In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
dbnzfo.png
RIP Caine
Post edited by chalupaoffury on

Comments

• fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Herm...Odd. Just changed my password when I saw this. Took like, ten seconds.

Did you hit My Account and then Change Password at the top of the page, or did you use something else?
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • borg10f9borg10f9 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I do IT for my Real Life gig, and I deal with website issues a LOT.

You might want to clear your browser. You won't believe how many issues that will fix.

If that doesn't fix it, you could also try another browser (going from IE to Firefox, Chrome, etc). Sometimes a site won't play nice with a browser for 1 seeming silly thing (such as your issue).

Good luck!

---Oh, as a safety precaution, I NEVER type my password in-game. If you do feel the need to share your game password with someone , hopefully you know them well enough to have their email. Email isn't secure as, say - Fort Knox, but it's a bit harder to accidentally send to random players. Sorry for your pain.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I just changed my password, too. Go to My Account, click Change Password, follow instructions.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Try changing your password on NWO's page :P
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Assuming that you have set your CO client to remember your PC, then account guard will prevent others from logging into your account without the validation code sent to your account email. If your email account is using the exact same password then you should have known better.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    'accidentally' told your password in vent ??

you mean you say things that you don't have any self control over ?

give us one reason why you would even remotely need to give out your password to another person...ever ?

but I guess with the vitriol of your post, it doesn't surprise me that much.

but FWIW; thanks for the chuckle...you really went off like a crazy person, was a bit entertaining in a creepy "I'm going to just smile and walk away slowly" kind of way....heh.

cgta1967 wrote: »
    'accidentally' told your password in vent ??

you mean you verbally say things that you don't have any self control over ?

give us one reason why you would even remotely need to give out your password to another person...ever ?

but I guess with the vitriol of your post, it doesn't surprise me that much.

but FWIW; thanks for the chuckle...you really went off like a crazy person, was a bit entertaining in a creepy "I'm going to just smile and walk away slowly" kind of way....heh.

Ventrillo also has text chat, I'm pretty sure.

I've pasted and typed my password into an in-game channel via Pidgin about a half dozen times already (I have over 70 characters, I tend to copy and paste my password because when I have to log into all of my characters for whatever reason (pooling resources, mods, whatever) because we don't have a "Go to Character Select" option. I'm not typing in my password 70 damn times.

Other times I'll launch the game and think that the launcher window is the active window, and type my password in and hit return, only to realize that I'm not being logged in. Then I look on my other monitor and say a few choice curse words because now everyone knows my password.

So yeah, it happens. You don't have to be trying to give your password to anyone. Just depends on your circumstances.
    biffsig.jpg
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've had my Tab key stick on me, so it wasn't actually doing anything when I hit it. Fortunately, I only got my username typed in before I saw what had happened, but it is easy to be in a hurry and type something where you didn't intend to. Also being in IT IRL, I see things like this a lot, too, and it sucks that something so annoying can also be terrifying.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    IE won't let you use anything on the PWE site.

Firefox will.

So if you are trying to change it while using IE, you just keep getting a no send result. That is, it won't send.
    You can't do anything on accts with IE, buying, password, logging in.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • iamtherockitiamtherockit Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ventrillo also has text chat, I'm pretty sure.

I've pasted and typed my password into an in-game channel via Pidgin about a half dozen times already (I have over 70 characters, I tend to copy and paste my password because when I have to log into all of my characters for whatever reason (pooling resources, mods, whatever) because we don't have a "Go to Character Select" option. I'm not typing in my password 70 damn times.

Other times I'll launch the game and think that the launcher window is the active window, and type my password in and hit return, only to realize that I'm not being logged in. Then I look on my other monitor and say a few choice curse words because now everyone knows my password.

So yeah, it happens. You don't have to be trying to give your password to anyone. Just depends on your circumstances.

I've done the same many times... Skype is my nemesis when this happens. I'll load the launcher, send a tell in Skype chat to my gaming group that I am logging in, turn back to my other monitor and see the blinking cursor in the password field and just type away and hit the return key... then look to my Skype window and poof, there's my password with a couple of "WTF does that mean?" tells. It happens.
    The user formerly known as Rockit.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm on chrome, I reset my cookies and cache and all that (I do tech support for a major bank, I thought of the defaults first) and I *still* don't have access to the password page here. I gotta use neverwinter to change my password. And as for why I'm so annoyed? I was here for 20 minutes trying to get this sorted. And yes, there might be account guard. But I don't have to mention how easy it is to crack someone's gmail, it's sure a lot easier than hacking their mmo password. It's a bona fide security risk.

As for how I mistelled my password in vent? Windows 8 has this fun bug where if you alt-tab, sometimes the old window stays in the foreground and the new one will pop up, then jump to the back again. Any of you who've done trivia with me in ccs can verify that I type *really* fast. Literally, it takes me about a quarter of a second to put in my password. Just long enough for the window to pop up and look like it's gonna accept my password. This has happened twice now, and that bit I take responsibility for. However, the site not working? I used chrome and IE, figuring 2 of the most popular browsers would be able to access a PASSWORD PAGE for a website. The fact that it doesn't work for even IE alone is inexcusably bad coding.

CGTA, if you can't understand why my password being vulnerable would make me angry, because I had no option to change it after the fact? You suck at the internet. I've spent thousands of dollars on this game, I'd rather not have all 9 of my vehicles dumped and lose access to my account because their website wouldn't let me fix the problem. If you can't wrap your mind around that, and have no better option but to tease me about it? Kindly find your way to a different thread if you're not gonna offer anything constructive.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    But I don't have to mention how easy it is to crack someone's gmail, it's sure a lot easier than hacking their mmo password. It's a bona fide security risk.

Not to mention all the people who reuse a single password. It's quite common. It's statistically likely that if you have someone's username and password for one thing, you have it for others too.

Not saying that applies to you specifically, Taco, just that it's another reason that your concerns are valid.
    is that what it is, alt- tab.
    windows 8
    I have random flickups of screens when trying to type in password and I'm only hitting shift.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We really really really REALLY need a log out to character screen selection... Like now.

*flies away wearing a tiny cape that reads Captain Obvious*

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!