test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just a random thought about elemental melee..

theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Suggestions Box
What if elemental passives, like Stormbringer, Fire Form, Ice Form, Electric Form etc had an advantage which allowed you to gain a power replacer style effect from them on your melee attacks? (This wouldn't apply to ranged damage however)

- Martial Arts - Dual Blades powers + Fire Form would activate a 1 or 2 point advantage which changed the damage from your powers so half your damage from blades became slashing and the other was fire.

- Martial Arts - Single Blade + Electric Form = Slashing/Energy Damage

- Martial Arts - Fighting Claws + Ice Form = Slashing/Cold Damage

- Martial Arts - Unarmed + Stormbringer = Crushing/Crushing/Cold/Electrical Damage? :eek:

etc

I know I personally had fun with Power Replacer gear when it was around and I can't say I can see them coming back to the game any time soon (ofc I could be wrong).

Elemental Melee would be cool but I doubt the next batch of powers we will see anytime soon will be looking at melee (in a more exotic sense like elemental melee that is).

Thoughts? Would this even work?

Just a thought I had..
Post edited by theravenforce on

Comments

• gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What if elemental passives, like Stormbringer, Fire Form, Ice Form, Electric Form etc had an advantage which allowed you to gain a power replacer style effect from them on your melee attacks? (This wouldn't apply to ranged damage however)

- Martial Arts - Dual Blades powers + Fire Form would activate a 1 or 2 point advantage which changed the damage from your powers so half your damage from blades became slashing and the other was fire.

- Martial Arts - Unarmed + Stormbringer = Crushing/Crushing/Cold/Electrical Damage? :eek:

etc

I know I personally had fun with Power Replacer gear when it was around and I can't say I can see them coming back to the game any time soon (ofc I could be wrong).

Elemental Melee would be cool but I doubt the next batch of powers we will see anytime soon will be looking at melee (in a more exotic sense like elemental melee that is).

Just a thought I had..

I suggested this long ago. It's a great idea .. for another game.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited August 2013

My way to bring back power replacers would be to strip the stats from them, so that they only had the power replace function, and then turn them into Offensive or Utility mods.

etc

Just a thought I had..

Its been suggested before in fact it was suggested even before power re-placers were removed, I would go further though and have it happen for all attack typed would open up so many new theams for alts. Imagine fire bullets that freeze or set your target alight. Darkness attacks that carry the chill of the void, scorching winds, I'm sure you get the idea.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I honestly though we were going to see this when I first heard of rimefire.
  • alexofspades#2085 alexofspades Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Genius. Signed.
    ERgLqqC.png
  • rebelscum58rebelscum58 Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Personally, I'd make them form toggle powers instead of an advantage on a passive that even with that advantage won't be boosting half your damage at all which kind of defeats the point of an offensive passive.

Essentially, make a form toggle for each set that gives a buff to whatever element damage, plus adding bonus damage of the same element to any power that isn't already dealing that element damage. Not changing it to half elemental damage, because the mechanics for that to my knowledge don't currently exist and would thus require effort to develop meaning it'd likely never happen, but instead just flat bonus damage like the old power replacers used to do. Then you can take whatever passive appeals to you instead.

Ideally they'd add a passive to some set or other at the same time which would buff non-physical damage and physical damage by half as much - use Quarry's numbers but swap them around, basically. Have it buff damage resistance by a small amount, then proc a small heal over time when any non-energy building power is used like how Quarry gives dodge and procs avoidance on power use. So it becomes a mini regen in the same way Quarry's defensive component is a mini lightning reflexes. Thus, between that and Quarry you can basically choose to focus on physical or elemental damage while still getting a bonus to the other as well. Or you could take something like fire form and get a larger bonus to one or the other at the expense of nothing for the other one. Seems reasonably balanced to me.
  • ngeluzngeluz Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Been wanting this to happen since forever! Great suggestion rebelscum58 and theravenforce!

Another idea, players has been asking for and Aura Slot like for ever... I say they add the 3rd item slot they remove for the power changers that could have aura effects or u could mix them to bring forth different visual or combat effects.

OR

Each slot affect the powers differently, defensive affect defensive powers, offensive affect offensive powers and utility could be for visual animation only like some times had (remember the Rune Sword) or could have an effect on buffs. Like or friend said with flat dmg add or small effect.

This items could be obtainable through, specific quest boss rewards, veteran's rewards, Life timers etc. The very special epic looking or eye candy effects could be only obtain through lockboxes and Z store.

OR

Each slot could be for one for Aura, Power replacer and another for Power Devises.

OR (but less likely, but supporting rebelscum58 only deviating a little)

Nexus Powers: This special passive or Toggles (which ever you prefer) cost several Power points and/or Power Advantages making it a heavy price to add but it eliminates the picking of Empty useless powers u cant max... Giving you a Second effect of your choosing from another Source.

Example your and Freefrom Toxic Fire or even an Arc type Ice, ones you grow to a certain level, by purchasing this *Nexus Power points and/or Power Advantages* you can either MAX all remaining chosen powers making you a master of the powers you have already or sacrifice them to ADD Darkness effect like a Power Replacer would allow you. Changing even the visual of your powers and combat toggles/Auras/Passive etc... Anyone seeing you will notice that you are an Ascended Hero or whatever u want to call it...

Point is this can even be added as a Quest Story for it Like in CoH that you quest to unlock your dormant powers (auras) and cape a status thing among heroes/villians. I'm just throwing ideas here but this could add so much to the game on so many levels including cash flow.

I can see people trying to gain this items like crazy! Plus the sells on the Z store and cosmic keys would BOOM for them. As it adds a Spice to the already arsenal and possible combinations. they could even add the mechanics of the vehicle modes to this, I for one would never be seen in those ugly things un less their are Mounts... MY CHAMPION does not NEED to use a stupid vehicle to fight his battles...unless is a Tech hero which mostly fit for them.

If I could add or expand my powers like you can do with the vehicle NOW that be a different story, not like device changer but like additional to the already impressive powers we have or enhancers etc... Just ideas for the power replacer.

Anyway Just saying Signed, Signed, SIGNED!!!
  • ngeluzngeluz Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just wanted to add that DC Universe added a Combo Power Mix with its Celestial Power set in which it sync up and create new effects as u combine each cast power you have. I'm not saying this should be done to all powers but it could start with the Power replacers.

I really hope they bring it back but in big, it was such an innovative and popular at that time.