Install Arc

Fatal Error: Cybermind *ALERT* Responses

Comments

• monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Even you are Tank the Deadly Rain can kill you in second,
    Even you are DPS this take much time.

See the floor get the right buff and stand the floor, move fast, block,
    and NEVER RECOVER wait rez till safety time.
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Cyberlint doesn't move, so there's no real need of travelpowers in there.

No?

Wait.. aren't we need to get to squares fast?

Yea.. travel powers would totally not help with that ^_^

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
    edited August 2013
    And one more important thing.
    Survivor doesn't have much time to chat cause it's not easy for any kind of build. No matter.

If you die Wait for rez. If no one has rez... Well, Healer is nice. :biggrin:
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No?

Wait.. aren't we need to get to squares fast?

Yea.. travel powers would totally not help with that ^_^

You realise that you are effectively asking for this content to be easier/ less challenging?

The Mechanics and combat strategy are all listed by players on forums, it doesn't take much to get a team who know what they are doing to run this alert.

If you aren't paying attention then yes you -deserve- to get wiped, it's meant to be a challenge, not a cakewalk. That is the intention of the mechanic.

There is AMPLE time to get to any pillar from Cybermind's face (melee range) to an appropriate block and stand and fight, without any form of travel power. Even easier if you use a lunge. I have done this myself on a melee DPS, Support Toon, Telepath and all have had time to do this.

SOCRATES tells you how to do it in the cutscene AND gives advice until Cybermind cuts her com-link out (third stage). If players are unable to listen to instruction, pay attention and move at the time when the ground lights up that is a pity.

Paying attention is the key here. I for one enjoy being kept on my toes instead of DPS and run style mechanics
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited August 2013
    It's also worth noting that travel powers would also open up the door for some more funky interactions -- just like with the rings in the race, the buff cylinders and the blocks only check for overlap every so often (albeit many times per second). This may reduce mobility, but it also makes it less likely for anyone to speed through the cylinder without getting the buff.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You realise that you are effectively asking for this content to be easier/ less challenging?

The Mechanics and combat strategy are all listed by players on forums, it doesn't take much to get a team who know what they are doing to run this alert.

If you aren't paying attention then yes you -deserve- to get wiped, it's meant to be a challenge, not a cakewalk. That is the intention of the mechanic.
    if it is meant to be a challenge, then why are level 6 archetypes allowed to join?

SOCRATES tells you how to do it in the cutscene AND gives advice until Cybermind cuts her com-link out (third stage). If players are unable to listen to instruction, pay attention and move at the time when the ground lights up that is a pity.

Paying attention is the key here. I for one enjoy being kept on my toes instead of DPS and run style mechanics
    I still can't tell what part of him I'm supposed to look at for the color indicator in phase 3. his aura cycles through all three colors every second or so.
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Never mind travel powers being so fast that you'd overshoot it constantly. Plus, how high would the squares buff effect? Would you be able to float on the roof and still be safe as long as you were above it?

I prefer it without TP's. It makes movement actual feel like it has a purpose. Also, unrelenting is useful. :biggrin:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • galactimangalactiman Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Tried this alert last night with a level 35 DPS toon in a PUG. We all kept getting instantly killed by the first mobs over and over. Everyone left after about 7 wipes.
  • xen0biaxen0bia Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Such a great alert... So far, only completed it twice succesfully - and I know the fight by heart at this point and rarely fail at the color matching. I generally have to let myself be killed because I'm the only one still standing and can't possibly hope to kill Cybermind by myself with the ridiculous amount of HP he has. The issues I've encountered most of the time so far are either one of these things:

1) The "fixed" alert bugs out somehow. This just happened to me at the firewall stage. I was auto-forwarding when the cutscene occured and, when we got control back, I was flying head first into the opposite wall of the room, just outside of the circle effectively locked out of the event. My team, unbale to dps the wall without me purposely wiped. The problem is, we couldn't get spawned all together again into the circle as a team after this point - even tho the cutscene showed us all there... It kept locking some of us out, even though we were all just outside the room...

2) People not understanding the fight agaisnt Cybermind even after multiple attempts at explaining the mechanics, resulting in continuous failure...

3) People insta-quitting after one failed attempt...

4) Insufficient dps to take down the firewall (often due to lowbies joining the alert)... WHY, OH WHY did it have to be regenerating health... It would've been tolerable if it didn't...

5) People quitting at the firewall stage 'cause it's taking too long therefore screwing the rest of the team...
  • alexofspades#2085 alexofspades Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    @xen0bia,

Next time, type this on zone chat: LF4 DPS for Cybermind, level 40.

If there's a team already going on, they'll team you up. If there arent, then make your own. Dont waste your time with PUG's.

Also, i'd like to mention that i've farmed this alert for several hours now and we got no drops whatsoever. I'm beggining to think that they borked the loot tables after today's (friday) patch - at least for the pieces (some people stil dropped the AF). Trade and Zone chat seemed to confirm my suspicions. Anyone here has some input?
    ERgLqqC.png
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Alright, so after a few rounds of doing this alert, it clearly needs some tuning and fixing, because of the following problems faced:

1) There is no clear indication that the four colored scrolling binary spots are actually for the players to get the necessary color buffs in order to survive Cybermind's binary rain attacks by standing on a corresponding colored square. I know how it can be a fun to actually figure out on our own how to tackle a unique boss challenge, but if instructions are actually given as to what to do like what Socrates does, make them perfectly clear.

2) The buff spots sometimes do not give the buffs when you step into them, even when the buff icon appears beneath your character portrait. This a game-breaking bug that needs to be addressed. One way to visually confirm that you get the buff is by closely inspecting your toon for the colored electronic circuit aura that sweeps downward from head to toe. That can be hard when you're hurrying to step on a square. I faceplanted a few times because of this when I didn't deserve to.

3) Any melee toon without a lunge is royally screwed. Without a TP it is very difficult, even impossible, for that melee player to run from Cybermind to the buff point to get the buff and then run all the way back to Cybermind who doesn't budge from the middle square that he stands on. The melee player has to get a buff of the color corresponding to the square that he stands on if that player wants to continue engaging Cybermind in melee and not a color for any square that's not in the middle. I don't think that adding an extra second before the binary rain starts is too much to ask because of this.

Other than that, the fight with Cybermind itself isn't difficult. However I don't know what Cryptic was thinking not level-gating this. The minimum of level 15 should be adequate for this alert. Level 6 toons with nothing but a T0 blast power clearly are not.
  • xen0biaxen0bia Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jennymachx wrote:
    3) Any melee toon without a lunge is royally screwed. Without a TP it is very difficult, even impossible, for that melee player to run from Cybermind to the buff point to get the buff and then run all the way back to Cybermind who doesn't budge from the middle square that he stands on. The melee player has to get a buff of the color corresponding to the square that he stands on if that player wants to continue engaging Cybermind in melee and not a color for any square that's not in the middle. I don't think that adding an extra second before the binary rain starts is too much to ask because of this.

Actually it's very doable. I'm range but I usually like to be in melee for 2 reasons, 1) I use fissure with the healing advantage so standing on top of it heals me, and 2) Cybermind does not use knockbacks (instant death 80% of the time) on people with aggro within melee range, and I often have aggro so it's a must for me to be there. But my point is, I obviously don't have a lunge (or any other speed increase abilities) and have been doing this without breaking a sweat at all. You just have to pay close attention and be prompt when the colored tiles pop. I'm usually back on the square just as he start casting his AOE. If you waste any time, then yes, you're as good as dead.
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Pairing the TP removal with a really shameful misuse of an Outer Limits reference is what should really be considered objectionable!

Now, that off my chest... yes its pretty tough for melee to get the buff and get to the center in the time given... if they lack a lunge. This wouldn't be something I'd normally object to, but as has been stated, one of the melee ATs does't get a lunge! If a Freeform melee character lacks one its really their own fault - the ATs are what content should be built around, really... but if an AT melee character is just borked by this, its an issue (though... maybe an issue with the AT moreso than anything else).

The alert would be a LOT more tolerable without the lockout mechanic. As mentioned in the video that was so kindly linked above, not letting people jump back in an try again to rectify their mistake, is a "punishing" mechanic, not a difficulty mechanic.
    edited August 2013
    xen0bia wrote: »
    Actually it's very doable. I'm range but I usually like to be in melee for 2 reasons, 1) I use fissure with the healing advantage so standing on top of it heals me, and 2) Cybermind does not use knockbacks (instant death 80% of the time) on people with aggro within melee range, and I often have aggro so it's a must for me to be there. But my point is, I obviously don't have a lunge (or any other speed increase abilities) and have been doing this without breaking a sweat at all. You just have to pay close attention and be prompt when the colored tiles pop. I'm usually back on the square just as he start casting his AOE. If you waste any time, then yes, you're as good as dead.

That's the thing, your timing has to be immaculate if you don't have a lunge. The zero margin for error is ridiculous and not needed.
    The alert would be a LOT more tolerable without the lockout mechanic. As mentioned in the video that was so kindly linked above, not letting people jump back in an try again to rectify their mistake, is a "punishing" mechanic, not a difficulty mechanic.

The lack of a lockout mechanic equals graveyard-rushing. There wouldn't be a risk factor to the battle nor would there be an incentive to you know, actually perform. If you get defeated, so what? Just respawn over and over until they boss health points drop to zero. Yeah, no thanks. Not everything has to be a cakewalk.

This of course doesn't excuse the fact that the alert has those design and bug issues as mentioned and they need to be addressed.

In the meantime, stock up on Triumphant Recovery devices. There's no shortage of supply for them at the AH and they're usually sold for very reasonable prices.
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jennymachx wrote:
    The lack of a lockout mechanic equals graveyard-rushing. There wouldn't be a risk factor to the battle nor would there be an incentive to you know, actually perform. If you get defeated, so what? Just respawn over and over until they boss health points drop to zero. Yeah, no thanks. Not everything has to be a cakewalk.
    I understand what people think the point of lockout mechanics are, but they're drastically overused in this game. They do have their place... such as in heavily scripted raid battles that have high levels of reward, as a means of content/reward gating. There's zero need for that in Alerts... and not much need for it in most Lairs in this game.

The difficulty in a fight like Cybermind is in learning how to handle the fight mechanics... past that it is just a time grind. Even if people did "graveyard-rushing" as you say, they'd spend more time trucking it back to the fight than they would fighting if they didn't also spend each attempt learning how NOT to die, by learning the fight mechanics. When they do die, it just increases the already ridiculous time it takes to grind down Cybermind's 3 million health, and that's not "challenge" its just tedium.

Difficulty is fine, but locking someone out of a long, long fight isn't difficulty or challenge, its just boring - especially when there's no serious reward and the only penalty is that you sit there twiddling your thumbs for extra time while the people who didnt die grind the guy down even more slowly without you. Let those people back in and they have the opportunity to practice the mechanics, and the fight doesn't have to be as tedious for the people who already have the mechanics down.

You screw up at the start and you're sitting out for several minutes... but you still get the loot. Herp derp. I don't see what you're championing here in terms of "challenge". If anything, letting yourself die and then waiting out the other people doing all the work is the ultimate example of a "cakewalk".
    jennymachx wrote:
    In the meantime, stock up on Triumphant Recovery devices. There's no shortage of supply for them at the AH and they're usually sold for very reasonable prices.
    Yeah, people aren't going to do this - they're not going to spend more money on consumables than they get from the Alert. Most people aren't going to use consumables for Alerts in general. There's a difference between what people COULD do, and what we can realistically expect them to actually do.
    edited August 2013
    I understand what people think the point of lockout mechanics are, but they're drastically overused in this game. They do have their place... such as in heavily scripted raid battles that have high levels of reward, as a means of content/reward gating. There's zero need for that in Alerts... and not much need for it in most Lairs in this game.

Having played pretty much all of the game's legacy content pre and post alert, I disagree with the claim that lock-out mechanics are "drastically overused". The fact is the complete opposite, not a whole lot of encounters use lock-out at all. The only times they are used are during significant boss battles in Lairs/APs/Comics and those take up the minority when considering the full game content available.
    The difficulty in a fight like Cybermind is in learning how to handle the fight mechanics... past that it is just a time grind. Even if people did "graveyard-rushing" as you say, they'd spend more time trucking it back to the fight than they would fighting if they didn't also spend each attempt learning how NOT to die, by learning the fight mechanics. When they do die, it just increases the already ridiculous time it takes to grind down Cybermind's 3 million health, and that's not "challenge" its just tedium.

Funny, because during my successful runs for Cybermind I never felt that there was any "time grind" at all. "Time grind" would suggest repetition. To the alert's credit there are three different stages in the fight that provide some variation.

Just how much time it takes for Cybermind's health to go down is really just dependent on what the team consists of. If there are less DPS roles, of course the fight will take longer. If there are level 6 players with nothing to buff their attacks then obviously that would be factor.
    Difficulty is fine, but locking someone out of a long, long fight isn't difficulty or challenge, its just boring - especially when there's no serious reward and the only penalty is that you sit there twiddling your thumbs for extra time while the people who didnt die grind the guy down even more slowly without you. Let those people back in and they have the opportunity to practice the mechanics, and the fight doesn't have to be as tedious for the people who already have the mechanics down.

You screw up at the start and you're sitting out for several minutes... but you still get the loot. Herp derp. I don't see what you're championing here in terms of "challenge". If anything, letting yourself die and then waiting out the other people doing all the work is the ultimate example of a "cakewalk".

I'm not going to argue against the reward system, because Cryptic has proven in the past that they are pretty poor with loot quality and drop rates in general.

I stand by what I say: Without lock-out, there's no failure-risk incentive to perform in the fight. Might as well just turn every significant boss battle into a Bash alert that anybody in their right mind won't expect to fail because of no failure-risk factor.
    Yeah, people aren't going to do this - they're not going to spend more money on consumables than they get from the Alert. Most people aren't going to use consumables for Alerts in general. There's a difference between what people COULD do, and what we can realistically expect them to actually do.

That's a pretty bold sweeping claim.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    First, the Forum Malvanum alert comes rollin' on in....

Then, you unleash the Cybermind alert on us...

and then you came flying in to quickly fix the bugs in the alert...

Cryptic(North).... I really only have one thing to say about this.

264791_0701111713-goodjob1-1.jpg.jpg

Maybe Cryptic North really is saving this game after all.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »

Cool down on these makes them useless.
    Oh and the reward for the mission is worth less than the Triumphant Recovery costs.
    edited August 2013
    Cool down on these makes them useless.
    Oh and the reward for the mission is worth less than the Triumphant Recovery costs.

Yeah it's a 5 min cool down. I'm pretty sure that's to deter people from spamming it, depending entirely on it as a safety net thus increasing their margin for error. Does that make it useless? No, also considering that they have 4 uses each and are the substitute for avoiding wasting a power point just to get a res power.

If you're in a team participating in a boss fight that has lock-out, whether it's in a Lair/AP/Comic or in an alert like Gravitar, you better damn well have one of those in your device tray.
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Finally a win...
    Someone was calling for one more for a team of 40s and I in the persona of Azure Blade leaped in. I took some advice from another thread and put myself in a melee damage role.
    We had a healer with rez and that proved very helpful, someone forgot to go get the buff and another was killed roundabout then too. Rez is good!
    Being secondary Con statted I didn't have so much of a problem with what seemed to be totally random high damage attacks. Although going from 7+k health to 2+k is kinda worrying, just hit my self heals and I think our healer type fixed me back up pretty soon.

Question in my mind is - is it possible to see these 4k/5k damage attacks coming?

Haven't had a problem with buff and return timing, but so far I've only played with melee toons who have a lunge. Took me time to notice that Cybertwit had gone red in the final stage and a lil longer to figure out what to do next.

I think it is harder to change buffs than to gain them. When we were doing the spheres the blue one suddenly died and I had to switch to the yellow one, that took two trips into the column. Kinda like the statues in Therakiels temple.

Got a massive 30 g this time and nobody else got any better. So a 100% fail rate on fancy drops so far!
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
    edited August 2013
    Question in my mind is - is it possible to see these 4k/5k damage attacks coming?

Erm, i think its his basic ranged attack. It looks like the telekinetic energy builder i think, just a ranged Pew! It usually hits me for 1700. His summons also have that charged attack that hits me for 2600 or so, which is more than health of my health. Watch out with the summons!

During the last stage of the fight where he gets big and colored, i recommend you block your way to the pillar. That's probably how he was hitting you for 4k - a ranged pew with the colored buff.

Got a massive 30 g this time and nobody else got any better. So a 100% fail rate on fancy drops so far!

30g? You mean 3, right?
    ERgLqqC.png
  • dheffernandheffernan Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Solution: do not design content your engine can't handle without crippling the PCs.
    It's also worth noting that travel powers would also open up the door for some more funky interactions -- just like with the rings in the race, the buff cylinders and the blocks only check for overlap every so often (albeit many times per second). This may reduce mobility, but it also makes it less likely for anyone to speed through the cylinder without getting the buff.
  • dheffernandheffernan Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't care if the team knows what it's doing or not. The point is it's not worth doing in the first place. Costume pieces and non-combat pets aren't worth trying to out-DPS 3 million HPs with gimmicks and handicaps.
    edited August 2013
    dheffernan wrote: »
    I don't care if the team knows what it's doing or not. The point is it's not worth doing in the first place.

Actually Cybermind drops an item named [Fun]. Not sure if you ever heard of it.
    ERgLqqC.png
    edited August 2013
    dheffernan wrote: »
    I don't care if the team knows what it's doing or not. The point is it's not worth doing in the first place. Costume pieces and non-combat pets aren't worth trying to out-DPS 3 million HPs with gimmicks and handicaps.

GameGrumps.png
    We haz them.

Pro-Tip: Stop thinking in terms of "worth doing for the reward", start playing game for fun again. Game not fun? Don't play it, nobody will care.
    gradii wrote: »
    he's right. and I cant imagine anyone having alot of fun in a pug, even in a premade team that knows the drill its so loooong it gets boring. maybe cut his HP in half. that might make it acceptable.

Doesn't seem too long for me. People keep comparing his hp to gravitar... well, he's always shorter for me than Gravitar is, so obviously there's more going on here than just number of hit points. Then again, I'm one of those people having fun with pugs in this...so your imagination will probably break trying to wrap itself around what I'm experiencing.

Don't cut his hit points in half, that would make the fight waaaaaay waaaaaaaaaaaaay too short.

• xaogarrentxaogarrent Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aurinkosi wrote: »
    Actually Cybermind drops an item named [Fun]. Not sure if you ever heard of it.

The drop rate on that thing must be like, .0002%.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
    edited August 2013
    xaogarrent wrote: »
    The drop rate on that thing must be like, .0002%.

100% drop rate for me! May the odds always be in your favor!

edited August 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    Game not fun? Don't play it, nobody will care.

That's a good way to end up with a very empty CO. This kind of thinking isn't at all new and likely part of why we're down to 3-4 zones of MC. Good jorb.

Also, Arin would pretty much rip this game a new one in terms of design if he was the type of mean person Yahtzee is. And honestly? I'd reckon he knows a bit more about good design than you do. Game Grumps > You.

...I just recently realized something really disturbing. We're all eating Sodapop3's "humble pie."
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Fun is a funny word. Everyones definition of what is fun is very different, trying to impose your definition is egotistical.

Some people enjoy getting rewarded for their effort in MMOs, some people don't care. Most MMO developers do what they can to find a balance between the two. 3g is a joke and I can see why people may find repeating an instance for 3 g not all that enjoyable.
    edited August 2013
    I personally feel Gravitar is much longer, despite the fact that she doesn't have a phase where she goes completely invulnerable for a good few minutes. Why? You're simply sitting there shooting her. It's tedious, like riding a stationary bike. The time and feeling difference between stationary bike and actual bike are really similar to this fight.

Cyberminds fight actually has you moving, doing things. You're not just sitting there punching him, you're trying to get close to the right pillars, positioning yourself to be near them when the rain hits. Even that gets broken up by the sphere section and the third phase which makes you watch him and try to anticipate his aura.

Got two of the costume pieces. Just need the Bracers now. :biggrin: Also saw someone with the Socrates AF earlier. (Speaking of which, unlike the Lemurian Invasion, these AF's are BoE, so you can trade them!)
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
    edited August 2013
    L2P...Learn to play. :3
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    monaahiru wrote: »
    L2P...Learn to play. :3

L2Pee

1416923659-1.jpg
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    aurinkosi wrote: »
    30g? You mean 3, right?

I mean 30,000 resources - maths is a lil chancy but thats 30 gold isn't it?
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nope, just 3.

Those of you complaining it's too hard: get some level 40 friends/sg-mates, and go to town. That 3 mill HP goes down in no time if the DPS knows what to do, and Servitor Serums/Triumphant Recovery Packs allow healer/support characters to focus on healing instead.

Seriously, WHY is this not level-gated? I can't see sub-40 characters beating this in anything resembling a reasonable length of time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
    edited August 2013
    That's a good way to end up with a very empty CO. This kind of thinking isn't at all new and likely part of why we're down to 3-4 zones of MC. Good jorb.

Also, Arin would pretty much rip this game a new one in terms of design if he was the type of mean person Yahtzee is. And honestly? I'd reckon he knows a bit more about good design than you do. Game Grumps > You.

Ego Raptor dislikes all MMOs, hence his opinion on this one would be irrelevant. Funny you didn't know... maybe, that being the case, you should refrain from speaking for Ego Raptor? I have this weird feeling that he wouldn't be happy to know you were doing that...

One could say that we're down to 3-4 zones of MC because so many people have left due to the lack of engaging/interesting content, and the reason we're hearing so much complaining is because the only people left are the ones that prefer brain dead content. Well, guess what, they already have you types as customers, now they're trying to pull in more.

Good news though, the vast majority of the game is still made for you guys who like it stupidly easy. Yes, this is still true since the last time we had this conversation a year ago, and the last time before that yet another year into the past.

Your belly is so fat with milk that you're cranky, and yet you still reach for that teat.

draogn wrote: »
    Fun is a funny word. Everyones definition of what is fun is very different, trying to impose your definition is egotistical.

Some people enjoy getting rewarded for their effort in MMOs, some people don't care. Most MMO developers do what they can to find a balance between the two. 3g is a joke and I can see why people may find repeating an instance for 3 g not all that enjoyable.

Ah, but if they didn't change the challenge but put in some awesome reward, then people would just start complaining that they're being "locked out" from the great reward because they prefer a lower difficulty.

I just don't get people.... they say they don't like the alert, they point out that the rewards aren't worth it... so what exactly is the problem? They don't like the alert, there are no rewards that make them want to do it, so just don't do the alert that you don't like and have no reason to do! Other people are having fun; let them have fun, you go do you.

If all you want is new content that consists of the same old "stand there and spam powers" mechanics just with differently colored targets, go put on some rose colored glasses; poof! everything looks different but plays the same! :biggrin:

• towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I mean 30,000 resources - maths is a lil chancy but thats 30 gold isn't it?

Nope, it's 3g.
    30,000 resources is the same thing as 30,000 locals.

30,000 locals = 300 nationals = 3 globals
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The more I think about it the more I feel that this shouldn't be an alert on rotation but added in the queue window under Until Carrier Defense. The work put into it feels similar in strategy and requires advanced player teams. Its not really meant to be available by just anyone who hasn't gotten at least past 30.

The same goes for Harbinger. Gating this content gives players something to look forward to rather than stumbling into it as a new player and loathing the game as a whole because of it.

Throw Gravitar into that queueing list too since Rampages aren't really being followed up on.
    edited August 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    not too hard, its just poor design to have him KNOCK YOU OFF THE SQUARE so you DIE.

It's been said numerous times: Have at least one, maybe two folks in melee range during the fight, and he will not knock you. Problem solved.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
    edited August 2013

Ego Raptor dislikes all MMOs, hence his opinion on this one would be irrelevant. Funny you didn't know... maybe, that being the case, you should refrain from speaking for Ego Raptor? I have this weird feeling that he wouldn't be happy to know you were doing that...

You assume too much. Oh, I know Egoraptor dislikes MMOs, though I like to think he's smart enough to know the problem isn't with a game being Mass Multiplayer, but the games that currently are being badly designed. And even if I hadn't heard such I would have suspected it because his design philosophy is good whereas most MMOs have bad design philosophy. That which logically follows, etc etc.

Yahtzee dislikes most MMOs too, for that matter, and the both of them take up many of the same issues I typically dislike MMOs for. Yahtzee has by far my favorite rant, by the way. Watch his EVE Online video. While I don't always agree with him, he hits the nail on the head in that one, and gives a good clue as to why the mechanics in most MMOs don't allow for real challenge.

Champs has always had the opportunity to be a bit different and avoid some of the pitfalls MMOs are notorious for, but much like say, SMNC to MOBAs, or any other game that has a foundation that allows it to diverge from many of the failings of its peers, it's up to the devs to choose to avoid these things. And much like the many, many other cases they seem satisfied to just make the same mistakes despite this.

Really, as a previous poster alluded to, if your game engine/balance/whatever can't handle what you're trying to do, you simply don't do it.
    One could say that we're down to 3-4 zones of MC because so many people have left due to the lack of engaging/interesting content, and the reason we're hearing so much complaining is because the only people left are the ones that prefer brain dead content. Well, guess what, they already have you types as customers, now they're trying to pull in more.

I'm a little foggy on how long you've been around. I don't think you've been with this game since launch, which makes me wonder if you remember the first difficulty related fiasco that helped lead the game onto a steady downward slope. Mind you, extremely buggy gameplay, broken missions, level gaps and other things helped contributed, but all this was amplified by a day one difficulty hike that people like you cheered on while the game hemorrhaged players for months straight.
    Good news though, the vast majority of the game is still made for you guys who like it stupidly easy. Yes, this is still true since the last time we had this conversation a year ago, and the last time before that yet another year into the past.

Too bad practically all the new content coming out is filled with horrible design and much of the old content is bugged, broken or otherwise faulty. Too bad there's no middle ground between braindead easy and instakill the player for a single mistake. Too bad that practically NOTHING in the game is bug, kludge or design mistake free. I wonder if all those old AP bugs are still around, I haven't bothered to look.

I get it. You want something that isn't healthy for the game. You're starved because it's the only sort of thing you will settle for. The unfortunate fact is, however, that Cryptic doesn't have the resources to pander both to the majority and those who insist on "difficulty" at any cost.

edited August 2013
    And yet, there appears to be a larger number of players that are fine with the alert compared to those that aren't (if not here, then in-game).

This isn't as difficult as you and the other detractors are making it out to be. Yes, the margin for error's a little tight, but it's certainly not as unforgiving as you'd have us believe.

Look, there's enough easy-enough content that is just a pure tank-and-spank. Many of my friends have left because they wanted more than just that. I never had one quit over it being too hard or too unforgiving - quite the opposite, in fact.

I've run Gravitar numerous times. I ran Therakiel's and Nemcon enough times to know them by heart. I want more content like this because this game, whether you acknowledge it or not, needs it. People need something awesome to look forward to doing when they hit 40 - something other than Alerts that force kiddie gloves upon them. We need our own Eternity Vault, our own Distant Memory, so that vets can have a reason to stick around. There isn't one now aside from the community (or if you happen to enjoy the game's unique brand of PvP), and it's what's been killing this game for quite some time - not this "difficulty" I see bandied about on the forums but have yet to encounter in-game.

So, yes, I want more stuff like this. Maybe then I'll have a reason to use more than two of my seven level 40s.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited August 2013
    [...]
    I get it. You want something that isn't healthy for the game. You're starved because it's the only sort of thing you will settle for. The unfortunate fact is, however, that Cryptic doesn't have the resources to pander both to the majority and those who insist on "difficulty" at any cost.

Your logical falacy is strawman.

I also agree with p0temk1n and all the other people pointing out the fact that you're grossly exaggerating the difficulty of the encounter. I have to ask, do you have a really slow internet connection, or perhaps a computer that can barely handle the game and gives you really low frames per second? Cause I can dance around like a fool and still make it to where I need to be on time in these fights... what's slowing you down so much? Not a skill judgement, just an honest question.

edited August 2013
    Ah, the old "it's a strawman" cop out. Internet argument I Win button. Ace in the hole for when you have no counter. Sadly, it doesn't really win you arguments, just shows that you've been split wide open and all your dirty laundry is now flapping at the top of a flag pole in the middle of town square.

To quote your beloved Cybermind: "We're done here."
    p0temk1n wrote: »
    And yet, there appears to be a larger number of players that are fine with the alert compared to those that aren't (if not here, then in-game).

If you think this is in any way correct you need to actually do this alert and watch the quitting, rage and general hatred towards the alert, and by proxy, Cryptic. Or as I think I've heard about a half dozen people call them in the actual alert "Craptic."

edited August 2013

Your logical falacy is strawman.

This is easily the highlight of my week.

Thank you smoochan, I'm going to go utilize this.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
    edited August 2013

If you think this is in any way correct you need to actually do this alert and watch the quitting, rage and general hatred towards the alert, and by proxy, Cryptic. Or as I think I've heard about a half dozen people call them in the actual alert "Craptic."

I raged a little, too. I wound up soloing him my first run after everyone else manged to botch the third phase and no-one wanted to go through all that HP again. Then I started getting my friends together/asking around in chat if they needed a 40 around, and my runs went MUCH smoother. Maybe you should do the same?

Again, this is not hard. I can solo him on my Savage, for crying out loud. I'm pretty sure once more players have grasped that you need to *gasp* pay attention :eek:, then the complaints will die down.

I feel I must echo Smoochan's question: is your net connection/PC bad enough to hamper your performance as much as you're suggesting? Honest question here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited August 2013
    p0temk1n wrote: »
    Stuff.

Most of this has been discussed and countered pages ago. Some of it has been discussed and countered months ago, in regards to Gravitar and Hi Pan.

edited August 2013
    OMG smoochan became Lucky-Star!!!!
  • draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ah, but if they didn't change the challenge but put in some awesome reward, then people would just start complaining that they're being "locked out" from the great reward because they prefer a lower difficulty.

I just don't get people.... they say they don't like the alert, they point out that the rewards aren't worth it... so what exactly is the problem? They don't like the alert, there are no rewards that make them want to do it, so just don't do the alert that you don't like and have no reason to do! Other people are having fun; let them have fun, you go do you.

If all you want is new content that consists of the same old "stand there and spam powers" mechanics just with differently colored targets, go put on some rose colored glasses; poof! everything looks different but plays the same! :biggrin:[/COLOR]

People will complain regardless, the trick is trying to find figure out a good middle ground.

Though I'm not fond of the firewall phase, primarily because it seems that the blocks are treated as objects so the characters who don't have rec as a prim/secondary seem to have a hard time regaining energy. Then the being one shotted even with the buff during the final fight is kind of annoying. The simon says portion of it is only mildly annoying due to how my camera and controls reach to moving around.

To those saying he doesn't knock back with people in melee range, either it is bugged or he does in fact knock the melee away from him as it has happened to me.
    edited August 2013
    Most of this has been discussed and countered pages ago. Some of it has been discussed and countered months ago, in regards to Gravitar and Hi Pan.

Not countered very well, as these points are still being brought up in this very thread.

The only "issue" this Alert has, aside from a new Alert's usual bugginess, is the fact it isn't level-gated when it really should be, and Socrates's audio cue failing to launch when discussing the color phases. 5 folks around 40 can wipe out the firewall in seconds, and 3 mill is a bit more reasonable when everyone's close to maximum power. Most people should be familiar with the color buffs by now, and there's a known method (confirmed by TT! In this very thread! That you figured out, to boot!) to prevent his knocks. I'm honestly unsure what more you could want before we start making this "dumbed down" for the folks who refuse to read/pay attention when the game is trying to convey information. Mechanics like this are not new to MMOs by any stretch, and people seem fine with them for the most part.

Aside: Hi Pan?! Hard?! In which reality? I was gone for six months and still did fine when he came back on rotation, even on an AT I wasn't familiar with!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]