test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Harassment- anyone had a problem?

13»

Comments

• kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As I feared, this person has retaliated. I said something 'questionable', and I think they've had all their friends report me to get me silenced for 72 hours.

Wait. The Report Spam function now goes beyond 24 hours?

What. The. F#$%.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kallethen wrote: »
    Wait. The Report Spam function now goes beyond 24 hours?

What. The. F#$%.

Not that. They sent in a ticket and got him chat banned that way.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    There is irony in a thread about harassment a guy is getting harassed for not being to good at English.

You are not good at English yourself, but that other guy is not even trying it seems :tongue:
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    scorpagor wrote: »
    You are not good at English yourself, but that other guy is not even trying it seems :tongue:

Thats why I said. As some might remember when I first started posting here I was WORSE than that guy. I improved . The fact that we can get the jist of it shows he is trying.

You should have been mocking him for being a perv that made naked toons , cause thats what he is ._.

PS see that guy ginger above you. Thats my half brother from the UK blame him for my bad English he taught me.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Keep_desu.jpg
    xD
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, like I said- it's more or less some kind of retaliation for either recently reporting someone, unless it's simple drama. Either way, it's retaliation, and it's a bit petty.

I have an alternate account I can play around on and communicate with people. It's just, I dunno- if what I said ruffled feathers, I'd understand. But since it was on the list of the mildest things, I'm almost certain it was a retaliatory thing. Fair is fair, but bleh.

If it wasn't one person, then it was another. This is the kind of thing that makes me question social experiences in online gaming.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    monaahiru wrote: »
    Keep_desu.jpg
    xD

no thanks, I had enough of typing the japanese to english translation of judo throws and ground holds for my dad

de ashi barai
    hiza garuma
    sasai tsuri komeishi(damn sure thats spelt wrong)
    uki goshi
    o soto gari
    o goshi

no idea of the correct spelling but that was over 30 years ago, there are some sequences I would like to forget
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    no thanks, I had enough of typing the japanese to english translation of judo throws and ground holds for my dad

de ashi barai
    hiza garuma
    sasai tsuri komeishi(damn sure thats spelt wrong)
    uki goshi
    o soto gari
    o goshi

no idea of the correct spelling but that was over 30 years ago, there are some sequences I would like to forget

Ah its good all Japanese did Judo in school understand that. :D

Sasae Tsuri-Komi Ashi!

Ukemi! Tomoe Nage!! Yamaarashi!! xD
    edited August 2013
    So, basically the guy from the SG incident isn't to blame. I'm pretty certain now that it is the person I had to report recently- as in, the date of this thread- or one of their cohorts.

I can't really call it 'abusing the system', really. I mean, if what I said was legitimately offensive, so be it and I'll take it and adjust my shot group and lane of fire.

But, maybe perhaps a GM will see that I did say that I expected some form of retaliation from this person and their crew. Either way, it'll be over in a couple of days anyway.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2013
    it dusant make u erper if not clothes on u ar e alowed to make karakteer with no clothing
    You are not allowed to make characters dressed in an "indecent" way, which also includes naked characters.

Terms of service.

Read it.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If it wasn't one person, then it was another. This is the kind of thing that makes me question social experiences in online gaming.

The problem isn't social experiences in online gaming.

The problem is really really really REALLY freakin stupid design ideas to control social experiences in online gaming.

You don't get retaliatory automated chat bans on the MMOs of other game companies. Nobody else has been stupid enough to institute this kind of chat system.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited August 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    The problem isn't social experiences in online gaming.

The problem is really really really REALLY freakin stupid design ideas to control social experiences in online gaming.

You don't get retaliatory automated chat bans on the MMOs of other game companies. Nobody else has been stupid enough to institute this kind of chat system.

Well, that's just it- they actually took the time to send a ticket. More than one person, and that means I know exactly who and why.

I had wrongfully suspected someone, but I guess I'm wrong.

I am pretty certain I got this because I reported them- but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Oh well, alt account lvl 6 go!
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't really call it 'abusing the system', really. I mean, if what I said was legitimately offensive, so be it and I'll take it and adjust my shot group and lane of fire.

"I'd Botox the wrinkles from an old man's forehead for an awesome sci-fi game using the Cryptic engine." doesn't sound like a ban-worthy offense to me.

You are a licensed and certified plastic surgeon, right?

No?

Oh... Well, then.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited August 2013
    it dusant make u erper if not clothes on u ar e alowed to make karakteer with no clothing
    https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3964/~/(co)-naming-and-costume-policy

actually its the naming and costume policy, not the TOS

Character Name, Handle, and Super Group Names May NOT:
    ?Incorporate vulgar, obscene, hateful, defamatory language or imagery
    ?Be derogatory towards race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic background or cultural background
    ?Incorporate the name or image of a major religious figure or deity, nor any form of religious title, especially with a costume resembling representations of the figure

?Be the registered property of any other company
    ?Relate to illegal drugs or activities
    ?Advertise any website, product, or service
    ?Be designed to impersonate a real world individual
    ?Be the name of any Cryptic Studios or Perfect World product, character, or employee (This includes Cryptic or Perfect World Game Masters)
    *for all the attempted clones of valerian scarlet and devana hawk and Doofus.. I mean defender

Costume Policies

Champions Online offers an incredibly customizable character/costume creator. We understand that you may want to emulate a favorite costume that you know from another source; we ask you be aware of the following guidelines when creating your champion.
    ?You may not create costumes or costume/name combinations that are recognizable as the registered property of any company. (This includes things such as: comics, anime, movies, or video games.)
    ?When creating costume combinations, you may not create the illusion or appearance that you are indecent, obscene, or nude.

Policy Violations

If characters are found in violation of this policy, it may lead to disciplinary actions against the offending account. This could include suspension from the game or possibly account termination. Any character name or name/costume combinations which are against Cryptic?s Policy will be changed by Cryptic/PWE Support Staff.

Just think of the default handle you could end up with.

now for the fun one.

Behaviour policy;
    https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3953/kw/behaviour%20policy
    In-game chat may NOT contain:
    ?Language which may be considered offensive to any real-world demographics, including race, religion, sexual orientation, nationality, and ethnicity
    ?Reference to sexual acts
    ?Profanity or inappropriate language

• jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Now, take a look at Lynx and Scylla.
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Now, take a look at Lynx and Scylla.

And don't forget Socrates, that digital harlot! :mad:
    edited August 2013
    and Sapphire,Witchcraft, Talisman(with the costume that vanishes one layer at a time while doing the dome mission in desert)

Lynx is a catgirl, fur sure. tchnically covered. If she dosn't count as covered, they need to remove the tiger, leopard, scales, serpent, lizard and leech skins. Not forgetting our werewolves, bears, gorillas.
    All of which can be worn with no clothes on them.

Obviously only COMPANY characters are allowed to be indecent, otherwise Defender's script would have to be modified.

on the other hand, there was the level 40 wiht a belt and shoulder wrap and her Nemesis(in dockside alert) with even less on.

oh and fought Perfect World executive last week. he went down fast.
    The bit just above the no obscene or nude costumes is the no clones rule.

The usual, do as we say not do as we do.

wonder how many MMo's with the Optimists armour, have the same obscene/nudity rules.

edited August 2013
    Okay, I just tested something and I want to point out the absurdity. And I want to make this clear, I'm not attacking decisions. Just want feedback here.

1- The ONE WORD that made what I said obviously profane/vulgar? Is censored out by a profanity filter. So, basically I was reported by someone who wanted to hear profanity- just not mine.

2- I didn't call anyone names (IC, my character does- OOC, I don't insult people), therefore... this is obviously just someone looking for a reason to report me.

So, how can I get slammed for profanity in a game that has A PROFANITY FILTER? Seriously- if you don't want to hear naughty words, that's what this tool is there for. I could understand if I attacked someone verbally- I did no such thing at all. This is just...wow.

Oh well, one more day.

Honestly, now, I don't know what to do if I'm harassed again. I'm not sure it's worth reporting real offenses.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dude. Is this the first time you've found out that 'profanity filter is not a defense for using profane language'?

If so... well. That.

Only use profanity with friends who don't mind.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The existence of a profanity filter isn't a license to say whatever profanity/vulgar words you want without fear of consequence.

It's like that for practically every online game out there, not just MMOs and certainly not just in CO.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dude. Is this the first time you've found out that 'profanity filter is not a defense for using profane language'?

If so... well. That.

The existence of a profanity filter isn't a license to say whatever profanity/vulgar words you want without fear of consequence.

It's like that for practically every online game out there, not just MMOs and certainly not just in CO.

Problem with the filter is it blocks words that aren't even considered 'bad'.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
    edited August 2013

If so... well. That.

Well, that's just it- it was kind of that- but it slipped out of SG chat and into local, someone overheard it- boom. More than one report. As I've said before, it was more than likely someone I reported for harassment- or rather, their friends.

But I got a response from the GM. Not what I wanted to hear. But, rules is rules, I suppose.
  • towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    drgmstr wrote: »
    Problem with the filter is it blocks words that aren't even considered 'bad'.

Which is why I have mine switched off. Not because I "want to hear profanity" but because false positives get thrown in. Words like "grape" that aren't profanity but trigger the filter anyway, or at least used to trigger it.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
    edited August 2013
    Edit...

When can I report Gravitar for saying 'Female Dog'?

Oh well, I'll simply just have to suck it up. It's like, one more day. I expect something similar to this to happen soon, so...
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well last night I was just down right ashamed of some of the CO community. A new player was desperate to team in zone he was having troubles with some missions but his English wasn't great and the tirade of hate this caused was unbearable to read. Some really viscous stuff was said to him ._.

Anyway he pops up in the Dutch channel speaking in Dutch ( obviously ) so I got a chin wagging with the chap. Turned out he was a young lad of 12 and all he wanted was to play at being a super hero after watching the Avengers. He also added he has only been studying English for the last 6 months. Me and a few others helped him out.

It will be likely those that verbally abused this lad only speak one tongue and havent even attempted to learn another. Least this little guy is expanding his vocabulary .

Well done CO zone chat you but the fear into a pre teen.

*slow claps*
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well last night I was just down right ashamed of some of the CO community. A new player was desperate to team in zone he was having troubles with some missions but his English wasn't great and the tirade of hate this caused was unbearable to read. Some really viscous stuff was said to him ._.

Anyway he pops up in the Dutch channel speaking in Dutch ( obviously ) so I got a chin wagging with the chap. Turned out he was a young lad of 12 and all he wanted was to play at being a super hero after watching the Avengers. He also added he has only been studying English for the last 6 months. Me and a few others helped him out.

It will be likely those that verbally abused this lad only speak one tongue and havent even attempted to learn another. Least this little guy is expanding his vocabulary .

Well done CO zone chat you but the fear into a pre teen.

*slow claps*
    Wow. That sounds lame as hell.
    Zone chat can be brutal. Some heartless folks out there. I don't get it. :confused:
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Which is why I have mine switched off. Not because I "want to hear profanity" but because false positives get thrown in. Words like "grape" that aren't profanity but trigger the filter anyway, or at least used to trigger it.

Tell me about it, I get a load of false positives, like my vacations in Punta Indio, or trying to say the color black in spanish and many other innocent words ??

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    klitty wrote: »
    Tell me about it, I get a load of false positives, like my vacations in Punta Indio, or trying to say the color black in spanish and many other innocent words ??

Color black in spanish...hrm. I have a workaround for that one.

Knee Grow.

Or if you wanted to stay more phonetically accurate..

Nay Grow.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The best way to handle harassment isn't to make a forum post about it.

Why do I say that? It's because you only make yourself a bigger target by doing so, especially if it involves wrongful muting. I understand the need to vent, but in such cases it's better to just lay low, not draw unnecessary attention to yourself and let it blow over.

Dozens of threads have already been made in protest of chat ban ever since its start. Cryptic has chosen to turn a blind eye to our concerns each time.
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Color black in spanish...hrm. I have a workaround for that one.

Knee Grow.

Or if you wanted to stay more phonetically accurate..

Nay Grow.

Most of my friends don't handle phonetics very well. Heck! Even I make serious mistakes in pronunciation and I worked in a call center for MCI XD

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • grievehartgrievehart Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Not very surprising.
    CO "community" has some nice and sympathetic people but there is also a huge part of jerks.
    Two days ago, i have been insulted two times in zone by somebody just because i warned
    other players about a potential leecher i had in my team in a smash alert.
    The irony of that is it's not even the leecher who insulted me but one of the three lowbies who were stucked in alert with me and the leecher. I litterally carried him and won the alert, despite the leecher, never complained or said anything to or about the lowbies but he insulted me...
    That guy was obviously an idiot so i decided to not argue with him.
    I usually try to reduce my zone interventions to the minimum, so i just reported him in a ticket for his language and ignored him, just to be sure to never be teamed again with him and offer a sure win to such ungratefull dude.