test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Movie based in Champions Online, need permission

ratchetman2ratchetman2 Posts: 27 Arc User
My friends and I are doing a movie (sorta 2D, Anime-sh style, animation) about our SG "The Mortame Institute", and we wanted to get permission from Cryptic to have the movie based in the world of Champions online, such as scenes in Millenium City, Sherrera's Bar, and Club Caprice. With maybe a refrence to or appearance of popular NPC characters such as The Champions or other villains like possibly Kevin Poe or the Dogz.

Anyway I was hoping that a moderator (if one saw this) would know a way for us to get permission have characters and locations from Champions Online in our movie or if anyone here knew a contract clause that would let us have the appearance of Champions Online locations and characters in the movie (we have a fear of getting sued :P )

My friends and I have been players of this game for several years and would be most happy if we got a reply.

If Cryptic/Perfect World (not sure which one is incharge of things like this) would allow us to do this it would help in publicity for Champions Online. thanks for your time in reading this request :)
Post edited by ratchetman2 on

Comments

• Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    message Trailturtle direct.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jaxtondragoonjaxtondragoon Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Always best to ask first, but that being said. If its done just for fun with no intention of directly making money it would likely be considered a fan work and therefore SHOULD be OK.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    please post a link to it when it's finished!
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My friends and I are doing a movie (sorta 2D, Anime-sh style, animation) about our SG "The Mortame Institute", and we wanted to get permission from Cryptic to have the movie based in the world of Champions online, such as scenes in Millenium City, Sherrera's Bar, and Club Caprice. With maybe a refrence to or appearance of popular NPC characters such as The Champions or other villains like possibly Kevin Poe or the Dogz.

Anyway I was hoping that a moderator (if one saw this) would know a way for us to get permission have characters and locations from Champions Online in our movie or if anyone here knew a contract clause that would let us have the appearance of Champions Online locations and characters in the movie (we have a fear of getting sued :P )

My friends and I have been players of this game for several years and would be most happy if we got a reply.

If Cryptic/Perfect World (not sure which one is incharge of things like this) would allow us to do this it would help in publicity for Champions Online. thanks for your time in reading this request :)

So it's going to be an ADULT film, then?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Sounds cool!
    Hope you get your O.K.'s from Cryptic/World and post a nice forum Link for the rest of us:smile:
    Don't see TOO much hassle over this. As far as I know, they still haven't sent a Death Squad after Nepht when she released Calliga Cong. Of course, that might just be basic survival instinct on Cryptic's part...........

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    So it's going to be an ADULT film, then?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Sounds cool!
    Hope you get your O.K.'s from Cryptic/World and post a nice forum Link for the rest of us:smile:
    Don't see TOO much hassle over this. As far as I know, they still haven't sent a Death Squad after Nepht when she released Calliga Cong. Of course, that might just be basic survival instinct on Cryptic's part...........

LOL nice joke, the movie besides the occasional slang (such as d*ngit, and H*ck) (not sure how strict the forum is about language) it's gonna be pretty fammily friendly,

Thanks, we're really hoping the movie gets the okay, and if it doesn't well just use our own fictional city probbably
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well, the film started screen play writing today, we're going to write it with champions locations in mind and if permission is denied we'll just rewrite it with some original fictional city or something, aaanyway, still no reply from trailturtle yet, but we're keeping our hopes up.
  • Options
    eastgatewidoweastgatewidow Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Speaking from a legal standpoint - usually as long as there is no profit being made and going to either yourselves or a third-party then creative endeavours are absolutely fine, just make sure you name-check Cryptic and Hero games with the proper intellectual-property credit.

Dropping my knitting to buff you whilst hitting - Proudly protecting Millennium City's little ones since 2009.

@Mothers_Love
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Speaking from a legal standpoint - usually as long as there is no profit being made and going to either yourselves or a third-party then creative endeavours are absolutely fine, just make sure you name-check Cryptic and Hero games with the proper intellectual-property credit.

Unfortunately, that didn't stop Hasbro from shutting down a highly anticipated, fanmade, My Little Pony fighting game.

You might want to get permission first, better be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I guess music might be your biggest concern. I heard you get copyright problems in youtube just using the tunes from CO, lol.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    scorpagor wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that didn't stop Hasbro from shutting down a highly anticipated, fanmade, My Little Pony fighting game.

You might want to get permission first, better be safe than sorry.

Thanks, yeah that's what we where thinking, better safe than sorry. we got a message the other day saying that as long as it is non profit and free on the internet to watch then it should be fine.

pallihwtf wrote: »
    I guess music might be your biggest concern. I heard you get copyright problems in youtube just using the tunes from CO, lol.

We're not going to use the music, We just want to use the characters/world/lore of champions online for the movie. All the music in the movie is going to be made in Pro-Scores :)

AAANYWAY we finnally got permission :D my friends and I are super excited and we are already in pre production on the Mortame Institute SG movie :)