test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Enemy Faction

seazombie64seazombie64 Posts: 114 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Suggestions Box
I had the idea of implementing enemy factions. Does Viper make you mad as a snake? Do the Elder Worms give you the creepy-crawlies? If you could choose an enemy faction, there are several possibilities:
a) You could get a damage bonus against them
b) take less damage from them
c) gain extra XP from them
d) gain extra resources from them
e) some other benefit I can't think of

I wouldn't be against level gating when you can choose an enemy faction, or restricting the number of times you can change your enemy faction. Perhaps you would be required to defeat (x) number of your enemy faction before you could change to another, or even defeat (x) number of a faction before you could choose them as an enemy.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm not really getting the point here. So a particular faction gets killed easier by me, and I also get more money and xp from them. Is this so people can focus on farming one particular group of NPCs? I don't think people do that anymore, and it doesn't sound particularly interesting.

I'd much rather see story lines that actually pit me against the faction in question, rather than some mechanic that just buffs my ability to kill them.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    a) THEY GAIN a damage/debuff/whatever bonus against YOU
    b) YOU take MORE damage from THEM
    c) gain extra XP from them (like mob xp is important anyway)
    d) gain extra resources from them (few pennies more, why not. Maybe their armors/uniforms have bigger pockets than other factions)
    e) some other DRAWBACKS I can't think of

It is an enemy faction that has something against you, because you've been kickn their asses more than others. So they concentrate taking you down.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    a) THEY GAIN a damage/debuff/whatever bonus against YOU
    b) YOU take MORE damage from THEM
    c) gain extra XP from them (like mob xp is important anyway)
    d) gain extra resources from them (few pennies more, why not. Maybe their armors/uniforms have bigger pockets than other factions)
    e) some other DRAWBACKS I can't think of

It is an enemy faction that has something against you, because you've been kickn their asses more than others. So they concentrate taking you down.

Also, don't give the player a (direct) choice which faction is targeting them. The game already tracks how many enemies of a faction you've defeated (via the perks system). I assume that the system keeps counting, even if you've gone above the top level perk. So make the faction that targets you the one that you target most often.

Maybe even have them periodically show up to attack you, using the same method that Nemesis minions do.
    I feel that if they just included the "known" groups, gangs and Organizations into the Nemesis system that would handle things perfectly.

And probably be far less of a coding issue
    ~ Life is too short to take seriously ~
  • seazombie64seazombie64 Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I didn't intend for every thing I listed to be part of the enemy faction aspect, just throwing ideas out there.
    Not against flyingfinn's ideas either, would make them more of challenge, but that wasn't the direction I was initially going. If you face a certain enemy enough times you learn their weaknesses and tactics, which is where my idea of bonuses came from. If a certain faction has it out for you, then they would overtly and covertly gather the same info on you so flyingfinn's ideas would come in to play as well, which would equal and cancel.
    I really like flamingbunnyman's implementation a lot. Instead of bonuses and penalties, just having them show up unexpectedly would be great, especially if they showed up in force and leveled to you. In my mind the idea is a variation of the nemesis concept. The point is, some new mechanic or content that isn't another alert. My concept was OK, just my implementation sucked :redface: I think flamingbunnyman's idea is a better implemtation of the whole concept.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It would be neat if the enemy faction randomly attacks you the way nemesis minions do. Except that enemy faction attacks are actually dangerous.

In fact, make them so dangerous that if the faction hates you hard enough, other players stop wanting to be around you because they don't want to be gibbed by your hater parade randomly showing up.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In Soviet Champions, New Shadows farm you! :tongue:
    (are people still farming the Waist Cape?)

A enemy faction hunting heroes thing could lead to some amusing things... like seeing those Lemurian submarines on land or in the air because they're outside Lemuria.
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've said a few times, and I'll say again, that having factions not appear as nemesis minions is a terrible idea. You don't even have to fiddle with em, I'll take em as is.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine