What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

FC.31.20130612.30 PTS Update

lordgarlordgar Posts: 267 Arc User
edited August 2013 in PTS - The Archive
This build is scheduled to hit PTS at 10:30 am, 8/14/13

Greetings!

We're updating PTS with this build to test stability, as well as the changes listed below:

Release Notes:

FATAL ERR0R: Cybermind
  • The conclusion to our FATAL ERR0R arc, a level 40 5-player Custom Alert. Defeat Cybermind within his own digital domain!
  • Known Issues: Some of Cybermind's powers are lacking FX art. Some of the cutscenes are not final. Some loot is placeholder. There is no music.

Bug Fixes:
  • We have made a change to "Homestead Security" to make it less likely that the mission will fail to complete.
  • We have made a change to the Deomonflame mission "The Queen Beyond the Pale" that should prevent the Demon Key from becoming stuck in a wall near the end.

Other:
  • We have disabled the sidekicking change that was introduced in the .28 build. This feature requires significant tuning and will be re-enabled for further testing at a later date. Thank you for your feedback!
  • SOCRATES terminals now have an updated look to go along with the FATAL ERR0R arc.

Please format any bugs you find in the following format:
Bug
Where it happens
What happens
ere it happens
What happens
[/COLOR]
Post edited by lordgar on

Comments

• Options
    megaskullmonmegaskullmon Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You guys going to be fixing the rest of demonflame also serpent lantern needs a big few bug fixes and so forth
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,087 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lordgar wrote: »
    This build is scheduled to hit PTS at 10:30 am, 8/14/13

Greetings!

We're updating PTS with this build to test stability, as well as the changes listed below:

Release Notes:

• The conclusion to our FATAL ERR0R arc, a level 40 5-player Custom Alert. Defeat Cybermind within his own digital domain!
    • Known Issues: Some of Cybermind's powers are lacking FX art. Some of the cutscenes are not final. Some loot is placeholder. There is no music.

Dat. Level 40 Alertin' power, just seeing this is a massive win. Here is hoping it stays level 40.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,603 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm sure that when SK changes are working in full and are on live this custom alert will not need to be changed.

EDIT:
    So yet another alert with no exposition. How did we get there? Its all so sudden. No game plan set by an NPC (preferably Dr. Silverback) and then jacking into the system. Just we're in the system.

I guess someone knocked us out while we were on the john and kidnapped us. Poorly done here. This is gonna be another Hi Pan and Leviathan disconnect between parts isn't it?

I hope there's at least 3 more cutscenes going on in this from the opening BEFORE we get into the system, the boss' defeat rather than cut to where Cybermind actually is, and a resolution cut scene to wrap it up.
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,116 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    Alert feedback:
    Woah, mechanics. This was quite fun and different from the usual fights we have.
    The one problem I had with it is the pillars that grant the color buffs do not overwrite or refresh the buffs. This causes some problems mid fight when you have to fight the cubes. Unless you let the buff wear off you will die during cybermind's next acid rain phase.

Make the buffs pillars overwrite or refresh a buff.

Edit: Cybermind's costumes appear to be rewards. Yay!
  • Options
    thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm sure that when SK changes are working in full and are on live this custom alert will not need to be changed.

EDIT:
    So yet another alert with no composition. How did we get there? Its all so sudden. No game plan set by an NPC (preferably Dr. Silverback) and then jacking into the system. Just we're in the system.

I guess someone knocked us out while we were on the john and kidnapped us. Poorly done here. This is gonna be another Hi Pan and Leviathan disconnect between parts isn't it?

I think lordGar said that the cutscenes weren't done yet. If thats the case, it would explain why there's no premise behind this.

On a sepperate note...I for one want that freaking helmet...And a Socrates AF if available.

Is Cybermind getting some perk hookup? I'd love a mentalist or tech title associated with him like maybe...Brain Drain? Brainiac? Mindwiped?
  • Options
    underchickenunderchicken Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, I tried for hours to get in the Alert to test it out but couldn't get it to pop. So I only have ONE thing to comment on atm, and that is.....

WUT THE PHUCK did you do to poor Socrates!?!?!?

This NEW LOOK is ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS!
    screenshot_2013-08-14-17-03-18.jpg

There is nothing CREATIVE or NICE LOOKING about this design! PERIOD! SHE HAS EARS NOW!!? This thing looks like a Hologram of a CONEHEAD for crying out loud!

NEW SOCRATES IN REAL LIFE...
    coneheads2.jpg

AND it gets BETTER! You took away Socrates MOST APPRECIATED FEATURE!!:eek:

SHES TOTALLY FLAT MAN!!!
    screenshot_2013-08-14-17-01-30.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    THIS is the Socrates we KNOW and LOVE!
    screenshot_2013-08-14-19-03-16.jpg

If you want to make SLIGHT adjustments to her current look you may, but they better be ACTUAL IMPROVEMENTS! This thing you have on PTS CAN NOT go live! For the sake of all that is BEAUTIFUL about Champions Online, do not bring this eye soar into it!

Were you guys actually planning on going through MC and changing all of Socrates's Statues into this thing too? URGH!

I WILL MISS YOU SOCRATES!!:frown:
    screenshot_2013-08-14-17-08-17.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Now that I look closer at the 2 pics from the LIVE Versions of Soc. I must say that the face on the Statues look MUCH BETTER then the Face on the Holograms.

If you guys want to change something, how about just making the Hologram match the Statues better?:biggrin:
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lordgar wrote: »
    Release Notes:

Wait what?

The end to this story arc is a lame Alert?

GOOD GOD what ever happened to story?

Missions?

-sigh- What a waste.. it'll be like the Bleak Tentacle monster and I'll do it once or twice and then .. bleh..

Oh well off to PTS

-edit-

Oh wait, never mind. .there's not enough people to test it with right now

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Umm... it was repeatedly said that the final mission would be an alert...
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    SOCRATES got the Tomb Raider treatment.
    :frown:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Alright, here are my playtest notes for the new mission:

Good Stuff
    1. The cutscenes were good--short and to the point.

2. The mobs were actually reasonably tough for level 40s.

3. Socrates voiceovers were nice.

4. Cybermind fight has interesting mechanics--you can't just stand and spam. Heroes need to pay attention.

5. Lockout was not final, at least--if everyone dies, you get another shot.

6. Fight was definitely not too easy.

Bad Stuff
    1. The corridors you go through were a bit bare and such. Just move, fight mobs, move. Meh.

2. Many folks are not going to like losing travel powers. I dunno.

3. THE COLOR BUFFS DO NOT ALWAYS LAST THROUGH CYBERMIND'S STORM ATTACK! That means you just die.

4. There is no warning or suggestion that there is a lockout mechanic taking place.

5. Cybermind's final stage was the least difficult . . . disappointing.

Suggestions
    0. Needs an opening that explains why we are inside a computer world again.

1. Maybe have some ambush mobs or some traps or environmental hazards in the corridors.

2. Needs a Socrates voiceover about lockout or something.

3. Color buffs need to last longer.

4. First stage of Cybermind should be shorter, and final stage should be much harder. He should keep that giant buffed form longer.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Alert Feedback:

Negative:

- Color coding attacks and resistances need to be made clearer, either have SOCRATES prompt us OR have the cutscene explain it better. I.E. Running to the red pillar and standing o red block = resistance to Viral Storm. It was implied it was just standing on the block = safe.

- Feels like a glorified Hi Pan Alert instance, only longer. I was hoping for a more Lemurian Harbinger scale instance...

- After two thirds are gone: He says: "Let's wrap it up people" and the squares turn off and a Viral Storm kills everyone. Got a feeling this is a bug.

- Perma NTTG can be an issue when running for the pillars, may want to allow SOCRATES to grant a window of opportunity to allow us to get there faster?

- FX for his immunity. Try giving him a Data Shield or something.

- Empowered Version in final stage is a bit "sudden". Could do with FX. Seems like his own special MoTM (Master of the Mind) But instead Master of the CyberSpace (MoTCS), needs an icon and I think the attack Viral Empowerment is invisible..

- Feels a bit strange that he has almost 3 million HP, but it is doable, since it is not timed.

- His empowered form could do with a cutscene of gloating from him maybe? And perhaps a way to nerf him (back to normal out of empowered) using the pillars is in order? (This ofc is provided he stays empowered for a longer duration)

Positive:

- I liked the Firewall bit and the environment and the fight mechanics (once we as a team figured them out).

- The Voice Over for Cybermind, complements his real world look :wink:

- We were actually level 40! YAY!

- I have a feeling he will have more interesting attacks, at first I thought he had copied my Force Detonation when he sent it back to me! :eek:

Neutral:

- Lockout mechanic, yes and no, yes because this is not timed and when everyone dies, we can try again. No because lockout is annoying.

SOCRATES Feedback:

Please, do not do this to SOCRATES. Even if it is in honour of FATAL Err0r, it's a major fashion disaster and a considerable fall from what she currently looks like. If this carries to LIVE she will die. No one will want to save an ugly looking hologram :p
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kallethen wrote: »
    Umm... it was repeatedly said that the final mission would be an alert...

True.

I forgot and/or was optimistic that they wouldn't be that lame.. ah well

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Oh god I forgot to check the new Socrates graphic. Its horrid. Please do not change her.

The old model was charming because it looked like a single piece and not just parts put together. She was custom and impossible to copy.

Now its just a generic body with a stupid point attached to the back of her skull.

If anything make her look MORE like the promotional art of this event.

If you do this, Socrates would be the perfect example of the downhill tumble of this game's consistency and care put into it.
  • Options
    dheffernandheffernan Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Please, no. The acceptable number of unskippable cut scenes is zero.

EDIT:
    So yet another alert with no exposition. How did we get there? Its all so sudden. No game plan set by an NPC (preferably Dr. Silverback) and then jacking into the system. Just we're in the system.

I hope there's at least 3 more cutscenes going on in this from the opening BEFORE we get into the system, the boss' defeat rather than cut to where Cybermind actually is, and a resolution cut scene to wrap it up.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dheffernan wrote: »
    Please, no. The acceptable number of unskippable cut scenes is zero.

So no cut scenes ever. What would you do to make the setting chronologically sound?
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,116 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2013
    I would like to see Socrates have a different static pose. I think what's making her seem so generic is the generic flight pose everyone uses. Something different would help a lot.

Otherwise, she looks fine.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I agree with Kaizerin--Socrates should have that upward looking pose from before.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Socrates should have some mode of top torso tracking on her if possible. She seems rather generic and more human than computer.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Looking forward to Test. Neutral on the new look.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So no cut scenes ever. What would you do to make the setting chronologically sound?

a) Make cut scenes skippable.

b) Failing that provide enough material in the text to cover what needs explaining.

Cut scenes are only cute or informative the first time you see them. The 50th they're a damned annoyance, and this content is meant to be repeated.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dheffernan wrote: »
    b) Failing that provide enough material in the text to cover what needs explaining.

I rather have cut scenes instead of walls of text.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I rather have cut scenes instead of walls of text.

However much you dislike a "wall of text" you will only have to read it once, unlike a cut scene which must be endured over...and over...and over....

I would also say that calling anything you are likely to actually see in an MMO a "wall of text" is absurd. You'll get one or two short paragraphs, tops.
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Still waiting for enough traffic on the PTS to actually test the Alert. Only like 1-2 people ever on.

And Socrates new look is meh.
  • Options
    falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't see skippable cutscenes coming any time soon, as much as I would like them. So instead I would rather voice over triggers in the maps that unfold the story as we go, similar to how NW does quest text VO (including a key to silence the current playing VO). The same information can be passed along without needing to read walls of text or interrupting gameplay. There's more than a few missions I feel could be made more palatable if they were changed as such.

Now there is a time and place for cutscenes, but I think CO goes overboard and it hurts mission replayability. The recent Forum Malvanum alert is a great example. A high dps group would have nearly half their time spent in the alert watching the same cutscenes they'd all probably seen many times before... cutscenes which could have easily just been VO as they're fighting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Forum Malvanum was just outright ludicrous. Carrier Wave was nice. Resistance at the end was tiring, but it was Dr. Destroyer! Worth it every time.

Cut scenes would be nice if you could move around and do things for sure. Aren't there some missions in game where NPCs walk around doing their thing while you can follow or beat up enemies? Resistance does this partly while James Harmon does his speech introducing the Teleportal or Griz with the wall mines in the sewers. More of that, please.

Cut scenes were not necessary during the whole ordeal for that last part in the sewers. It would be nice if this Alert was tweaked to do the same kind of explaining while we just go go go.
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Forum Malvanum was just outright ludicrous. Carrier Wave was nice. Resistance at the end was tiring, but it was Dr. Destroyer! Worth it every time.

Oh lord I wanted to run the Forum Malvanus but the unskippable cutscenes that went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and...

Yeah, that.

So when in doubt, make it text. Or make the voice play while running from place to place. During the boss battle itself it seemed like Socrates was trying to tell you the boss' weakness (although it seemed to fail most of the time). So there is that hope at least.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Tried getting into the new alert three times today for about ten minutes each, no luck getting in.

As far as the new socrates look, i personally think it looks terrible, the whole head just seems very awkward to me.
  • Options
    blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    SOCRATES got the Tomb Raider treatment.
    :frown:

If that were true, the facial features would've been slightly improved.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited August 2013
    I spoke with LordGar about a couple things:

-There are more cutscenes in the works.

-The main reason for the SOCRATES visual change was to make it more usable for more purposes. The old design for SOCRATES was just a single piece of geometry, which wasn't flexible. Now she's a real costume.

The devs have also given it a ton more polish of polish: In the words of LordGar, "it looks way better." Her head's angled back again, and she has a unique pose that's closer to the original pose. We're glad for the feedback, the team hopes you'll like the polished version when it's on PTS. :smile:

By making the new version a costume, they'll be able to use SOCRATES as a non-static NPC and in AFs. So really, you can blame Nepht for giving the devs the idea in the first place. :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited August 2013

-The main reason for the SOCRATES visual change was to make it more usable for more purposes. The old design for SOCRATES was just a single piece of geometry, which wasn't flexible. Now she's a real costume.

The devs have also given it a ton more polish of polish: In the words of LordGar, "it looks way better." Her head's angled back again, and she has a unique pose that's closer to the original pose. We're glad for the feedback, the team hopes you'll like the polished version when it's on PTS. :smile:

By making the new version a costume, they'll be able to use SOCRATES as a non-static NPC and in AFs. So really, you can blame Nepht for giving the devs the idea in the first place. :biggrin:

<3 Much Love, thanks for the update.

Do you know when the Telepathy Issues will make it to PTS for fixing and testing?

Currently Mental Leech's heal component flat out doesn't work on anything and tooltips are still wrong as well as a number of other bugs.

I've added FATAL ERR0R: Telepathy and Tooltip Errors to my sig as links which provide information on what the bugs are.

Here's hoping these get fixed soon :smile:
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013

We blame Nepht for a lot of things around here. :wink:

Do you know if there will be another code push before tonight's playtest?
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ...-There are more cutscenes in the works. ...
    Are they necessary cutscenes or more annoying filler that makes players like myself want to gouge my eyes out after wasting hours watching the same cutscenes over and over again while farming for costumes/AFs? If they're NOT necessary, trash them or just make them voice over as you fight. This applies to already completed cutscenes as well.

With regards to the PTS test/livestream tonight, if there's not another push hitting the PTS which fixes the color buffs what's the point? As it is you'll end up with a lot of annoyed testers giving you feedback on something you already know is broken and likely little else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    All I could want is an opening animation or prep room before getting ported and a better ending scene. Maybe some time before the ending animation starts so players who don't want to see it can exit map. You could use that time to make Cybermind have a defeated animation while we grab our loot and dig into the crime computer.