test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Report a whole SG for trademark violation, or . . . ?

2»

Comments

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Pop quiz, fashion police:

Okay, hang on a sec.

There's a difference between:

- Criticizing someone for their costume choices just because the critic thinks they have a more valid opinion on how to create a costume.

and

- Criticizing someone for their costume choices because what they're doing is against the rules.

If what some of us are doing is the former, then go ahead and call us "fashion police". That's not the case here.
    The lawsuit from before had more to do with power animations rather than the actual costumes, people. And to be honest? Marvel doesn't own the rights to 'powers', so that's why the whole 'Cryptic got sued' thing won't hold water.

If costumes were so insignificant, then why did PWE / Cryptic state a policy against creating costumes that are intended to look identical to characters that are considered registered property of other companies? I posted that link to that a few posts back.
    edited August 2013
    I do not care.

I'm not a GM.

I'm pretty sure that no one in this thread said that it's the players' absolute responsibility to do any reporting.
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One of my characters got reported and defaulted even though it had nothing to do with marvel. In fact, it wasn't from a comic book at all. In fact, it was from a source so obscure that if I explained, in detail, where the character came from, none of you would have any clue what I was talking about. In fact, the author of that source has openly stated that they don't care about copyright and enjoy seeing other people use their work.

Given that reality, I find it unforgivable that these blatant marvel clones are even allowed to make it out of the costume editor.

Report them. Get your friends to report them. If Cryptic is going to stomp on peoples' hype boners, they damn well better do it consistently across the board. None of this "drunk teenager with a gun" nonsense.

jennymachx wrote: »
    Okay, hang on a sec.

There's a difference between:

- Criticizing someone for their costume choices just because the critic thinks they have a more valid opinion on how to create a costume.

and

- Criticizing someone for their costume choices because what they're doing is against the rules.

If what some of us are doing is the former, then go ahead and call us "fashion police". That's not the case here.

[...]
    [...]
    Also, at least Marvel/DC clones are looking like comic book characters. No spikes, excessive glows and unneeded wings.

Found you someone who was doing the former.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    One thing I found very strange about these cloned toons was that their makers actually bothered to write in the character histories (though brief) of the original characters. If you are going to make a clone of Psylocke, with the same appearance, name, and powers, why also write a backstory that goes as far as mentioning her brother Captain Britain and how she was reborn as a ninja?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    Found you someone who was doing the former.

Read again, but now do it right. :cool:

Sadly, creeping CO color blindness, spikes and ohmigodimadarkandevulzfearme stylisation is not against any rules. Except for a good taste. Which is not punishable.

Clones are punishable. But I have no heart for reporting people who, for a change, like to look like an actual comic book characters.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Clones are punishable. But I have no heart for reporting people who, for a change, like to look like someone else's comic book characters.

I fixed that one for you.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • metalmountainmetalmountain Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You should be thankful these people arepadding the pop of this god awful game.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yea, they could be playing the actual characters they cloned in that one even more god awful game. But i guess they want to be unique, rather than running around with dozen same named/looking characters.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Read again, but now do it right. :cool:

Sadly, creeping CO color blindness, spikes and ohmigodimadarkandevulzfearme stylisation is not against any rules. Except for a good taste. Which is not punishable.

Clones are punishable. But I have no heart for reporting people who, for a change, like to look like an actual comic book characters.

Considering it's in the part I quoted, and considering you took the time to pick through the quote for your post, I'm surprised you failed to read this part:

" Criticizing someone for their costume choices just because the critic thinks they have a more valid opinion on how to create a costume."

So... read again, but now do it right?

Also, look up the definitions of former and latter.
    /schooltime

edited August 2013

" Criticizing someone for their costume choices just because the critic thinks they have a more valid opinion on how to create a costume."

It's called also "having an opinion". Last time I checked it was allowed and legit. Though certain fandoms can't stand not being liked and praised. But it's their personal problem.

Policing would be reporting or starting shame threads.

It takes more creativity with costume creator to make a good looking clone or a homage than making another generic darksayanninja or demoniclordofchainsandglows. Or random mixture of animal parts not even fitting with each other covered with randomised colors.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013

lol ...you guys are still all feather-ruffled about this, quoting the ToS in snippets and then boasting about the lengths you go to report these heathens that should be wiped from the face of the earth....

heh.

get a grip..... go play the game dudes.

who knows? if you stop worrying about how bad others are violating your precious perception of how you think everyone else should behave and then waste all your gametime effort in a rage of domination and report filing.....

...you may just enjoy playing the game. It is a pretty fun game after all......has been for a few years now..... and clones have been around for the whole life of it.

PWE isnt concerned about your loyal efforts...they are concerned about the profits that come in from microtransactions....and that hulk clone is more likely to press the buy Zen button than a few self appointed playstyle police lifers are these days .

DC sued Fawcett for Captain Marvel being a clone of Superman.And almost did lose because it was lazy with copyrighting some of their comic strips

at the link below you can read the whole story:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Comics_Publications_v._Fawcett_Publications

You will notice that one point Fawcett had the upper hand because:

"The trial was decided in Fawcett's favor because of information Fawcett's lawyers had uncovered about Superman's copyright status. The defense lawyers provided evidence that National Comics and the McClure Syndicate failed to copyright several of their Superman newspaper comic strips, and the trial judge decided that National had abandoned its Superman copyright such that it was no longer valid. "

"National appealed the decision in 1951 to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, with famed Judge Learned Hand presiding. Judge Hand's 1952 ruling in National's favor reversed a part of the trial court's decision. National's Superman copyright was held valid but the McClure strip was not under copyright, and the finding that Captain Marvel was an infringement of that copyright was affirmed."

Do you really think that Marvel will risk to lose the rights to Wolverine for not acting and suing Cryptic and PWE so abandoning its copyright if they find some illegal clones of him in the game ?
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cybersoldier:
    I always mention it to people violating it. I do so with reluctance because they could be griefing sh*heads who Report Spam me to silence.

But I figure I ought to at least give them the benefit of the doubt and see if they will go 'oh, it is? Woops. Ok.'

So far that's never happened and I get cursed at, but hey.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jennymachx has a curious:

If costumes were so insignificant, then why did PWE / Cryptic state a policy against creating costumes that are intended to look identical to characters that are considered registered property of other companies? I posted that link to that a few posts back.

Because it's boilerplate CYA. Isn't the rule of thumb that if two of the three (name, costume, backstory) are there, it's a clone? It's not in the rules, but I've been told that's how they judge. I could have been told wrong, though.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • savagedeaconsavagedeacon Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In the case Superman vs Captain Marvel above :
    National's argument was that Captain Marvel's main powers and characteristics (super-strength, super-speed, invulnerability, a skin-tight costume with a cape, and a news reporter alter ego) were derived directly from those of Superman.[2] Fawcett's counterargument was that although the two characters were indeed similar, and Superman's publication debut predated Captain Marvel's by eighteen months, the differences in essential plot and concept elements (Captain Marvel's alter-ego was a child, not an adult; his powers were magic-based, not science-based) meant that Captain Marvel was not an infringement of National's copyrighted character, but a property in its own right."

"The trial judge did find, however, that Captain Marvel was an illegal copy of National's Superman.[2]"

above you can see the basis for copyright infringement

So if a character has green skin, is big, and has superstrenght how his main power guess whose copyright is infringing ?
    edited August 2013
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    lol ...you guys are still all feather-ruffled about this, quoting the ToS in snippets and then boasting about the lengths you go to report these heathens that should be wiped from the face of the earth....

Well someone has to quote the ToS and point out the facts because clearly people like you are either downright ignorant of it or just refuse to be in synch with reality to avoid acknowledging its existence or significance.
    edited August 2013
    ahhhh the ad hominem defense.... lol

good times.
    I used to be in a marvel sg, and I have to say NOT being in one has definitely proven to be a much easier pill to swallow, mainly because most of them are literal kids. They are drama filled sandbox pretenders who may know they are breaking the rules, but don't really care. I go by the principle live and let live. I am in no way tied to the legal department of PWE or Cryptic North/east/south ( or whatever they are calling themselves these days), so if I'm not getting paid for policing, then policing is what I will refrain from doing.

While some posters here have made valid points, the aforementioned crusade that is going on is a pointless one. I left for about a year and came back to even more clonage than before. Even if I have "seen the light", the influx of players that clone around is a steady stream and you have to ask yourself at some point how much of this reporting is actually a genuine "caring about the game" rather than a personal vendetta to experience some type of power in your life when someone you report "gets checked".

I am more worried about people who call my toons " n++ger monkeys," than people who copy the comic book characters.

"Do you know what power is? Power is control of men who are lesser than you."
    edited August 2013
    ahhhh the ad hominem defense.... lol

good times.

Ironic comment coming from someone who has done nothing but make personal attacks against us "crusaders".
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Two points, one technical, the other pseudo-legal: ("pseudo" because IANAL; I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, so please bear with me)

First, one person mentioned using "Report Spam" on violators. I could be wrong, but I think that sets a different procedure in motion that involves looking at the reportee's chat history. I could be wrong.

Second, there seems to be a great deal of concern regarding trademark. Yes, Disney has a long and seemingly capricious history of defending its copyrights and trademarks, even going after libraries for not getting permission before using trademarked images in promotional displays. Personally, I never cease to be impressed at the creativity of the players of games like this, but, yes, Disney has the deepest of pockets and a legal department with unfettered access to those pockets.

The thing is, Cryptic/PWE has shown little regard for technical concerns from its player-base. Just count the number of threads devoted to complaints that were met with indifference. "System works as intended" seems to be a common refrain. Two things are important to consider, though. Cryptic/PWE will not respond to Disney with that kind of indifference, and, in a free game, with the ability to create new, free email accounts as easily as changing your tie/scarf, "lifetime bans" are essentially meaningless when you can just create a new one.

Personally, I have four, if you count the one I made for my son. There's no nefarious purpose: one is my "main" (this one), another was for an additional pair of characters (I come from City of Heroes, some of you are familiar with the term "alt-itis"), and another is for a blog.

So, if you feel you need to report the offenders, by all means, do it! If you don't, it's not like you are going to be banned. The system is being used, so everyone is covered. At the end of the day, there will always be those who will get bent out of shape and those who will let it go. One way or the other, everyone here in this thread falls into the first category, including me. Nothing any of us says here is going to change that, nor is it going to eliminate threads like this.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
    edited August 2013
    ('good luck with your futile crusade') to all involved in said crusade is not an ad hominem attack.....

"people like you are either downright ignorant of it or just refuse to be in synch with reality " directed directly at me, is more consistent with the described ad hominen defense.

I stand by; good luck with that !
    It's called also "having an opinion". Last time I checked it was allowed and legit. Though certain fandoms can't stand not being liked and praised. But it's their personal problem.

Policing would be reporting or starting shame threads.

It takes more creativity with costume creator to make a good looking clone or a homage than making another generic darksayanninja or demoniclordofchainsandglows. Or random mixture of animal parts not even fitting with each other covered with randomised colors.

You're still doing it.

edited August 2013
    "people like you are either downright ignorant of it or just refuse to be in synch with reality " directed directly at me, is more consistent with the described ad hominen defense.

Since you willingly ignore all significance of what's being said in the ToS against creating costumes with the intention to look identical to a trademarked character, and instead choose to make "OH WOW YOU QUOTED SNIPPETS OF THE TOS, GUD JOB!" sort of comments, I stand by what I said.
    edited August 2013
    The challenge of capturing a given 'look' in CO tailor is interesting. For example, I made a xenomorph (Alien) that looked pretty cool.

Then I took a screencap and deleted the costume because _it's not my property_.

For actual characters, I exert no creativity to make things like:
    988608_10200913454572568_1576461238_n.jpg

and

944266_10200913451812499_1864407264_n.jpg

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited August 2013
    Since you willingly ignore all significance of what's being said in the ToS against creating costumes with the intention to look identical to a trademarked character.......

never once did I mention how "I" personally interpret the ToS, or how "I" play the game, or even what "I" do in the CC.

so..... how are you arriving at these conclusions without ad hominem speculation ?

....lol.

good luck with that !
    Welcome to the CO forums, where personalities go to clash! :tongue:
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited August 2013
    never once did I mention how "I" personally interpret the ToS

You mean you were bothered to? :rolleyes:
    edited August 2013
    You mean you were bothered to? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.....
    Right, so in attempt to try to help steer the thread in a more constructive direction after all that mess...

House rules are house rules. If you feel that you're entitled to do whatever you want while being present in an establishment that doesn't belong to you, especially if you do things that can potentially bring adverse consequences or cause damage, then the owner of that establishment has every right to throw you out the door, regardless if you're a paying customer or not.

A lawsuit concerning copyright infringement is something that can prove costly and damaging in the long run. There are expensive legal fees involved for the company being accused even if the lawsuit against them isn't won. Whatever the case, it's a lose-lose situation. Who do you think would cough up the money for the legal fees, and how do you think it'd affect us players?

So PWE and Cryptic are doing nothing wrong in enforcing their house rules. Those of us who acknowledge the need for the enforcement, as well as help act on it, are not being "crusaders", or "fun police", only because we understand why the enforcement is needed and how an adverse event can negatively affect both the companies involved and us players too. If players want to be self-entitled, thinking that they can do whatever the heck they want while ignoring house rules, then they should also be prepared to deal with the consequences of their actions.

At the very least, the intiative shown on the companies' and players' part in addressing copyright infringement sends a message out there that something's proactively being done. Anyone with the argument of "well there hasn't been a lawsuit so far", might want to take that into consideration.

No, you're being anal retentive. And a little self important.... but please, continue, that I might succor upon the nectar of your pointless crusade like bees drawn to a sugary soda.
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.....

I'm saying that you care less about the significance of the ToS policy against copyright clones, and only care more about labelling some of us as a bunch of obsessed busybodies with nothing better to do with our time.
    edited August 2013
    I'm saying that you care less about the significance of the ToS policy against copyright clones, and only care more about labelling some of us as a bunch of obsessed busybodies with nothing better to do with our time.

Again....you are using 'assumed motivations about me personally' as your defense.....

you know nothing about me or my intentions...but yet claim you do.

try discussing the topic at hand rather than going after the debater.....then you will get out of the ad hominem loop.
    Again....you are using 'assumed motivations about me personally' as your defense.....

you know nothing about me or my intentions...but yet claim you do.

try discussing the topic at hand rather than going after the debater.....then you will get out of the ad hominem loop.

I have been discussing the topic at hand, before you showed up and told people to "get a grip" and made condescending comments like "good luck with your crusade" or "good luck with enforcing the law." earlier on.

Like you're interested in any sort of discussion. :rolleyes:
    edited August 2013
    CGTA, we don't know anything about your motivations or beliefs. What we DO know is what you're posting.

And you're posts are full of group attacks.

If you don't want to be seen a certain way, don't post that way.

edited August 2013
    slumpywpg wrote: »
    No, you're being anal retentive. And a little self important.... but please, continue, that I might succor upon the nectar of your pointless crusade like bees drawn to a sugary soda.

Not_The_Bees.gif
    edited August 2013

You're still doing it.

Are you that afraid of people having opinion different than your, even if they have no possibility or intention to enforce it?

My sentiments to you, then. You must be really afraid or just trolling. To not being able to stand people having their own opinions.

Besides, are you aware of irony, that this kind of political correctnes that you are trying to enforce is actually a kind of policy of thoughts itself? :cool:
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Edited for bloated nonsense.

I don't have time to sit and make a report, screen cap, and deal with a clone. If the game had GM's working, I'd care. But the same brilliance behind 'report the clone!' is the one that decided we were also capable of policing ourselves when it came to chat, and look at that wonderful catastrof*ck of a feature.

As you can see, the ToS also makes it clear that you cannot create any religious figures. The Greek/Roman, Norse, Babylonian, and even Biblical religious figures and symbols are often created as well. Let's not pretend we're doing this based on ethics.

I've got better things to do with my time.
    edited August 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    CGTA, we don't know anything about your motivations or beliefs. What we DO know is what you're posting.

And you're posts are full of group attacks.

If you don't want to be seen a certain way, don't post that way.

my posts are of the differing opinion of the argument topic, nothing more .... I dont care what an anonymous random internet poster "thinks" of me....lol.

like it or leave it. ignore it or post against it, I dont care, I will reply or not if I feel like it....for now it is a good morning coffee debate topic taht I have settled upon.

therefore:

the self-appointed character controlling crusades ( there have been quite a few in the history of CO, each of which fell off the wayside btw) that has been going on by select few in small spurts since beta on these forums is futile, and nothing anyone quotes in either ToS snippets or in game martial action reports (which the reporter will 'never' ever know the results of by the way ) has made or will make any difference.

Clones have been there, clones are there, and clones will be there in the future of CO.... the game is F2P, the ability to create accounts ( and multiples of ) for free is there, the ability to create costumes similar to thier favorite heroes is there, people like thier comic heroes, people will make them to experience them ingame...... and they will have fun playing....and (most importantly to PWE IMO ) they will probably drop a few bucks in the Zen store in the process....the game mechanics enable it. get over it.

you arent going to stop it, at all. ... being a report trooper and hasseling them via ingame tells isnt getting anything done minus being more of a griefer to them becasue they are a big green guy in purple pants who is enjoying thier gameplay and you dont like it and have taken it upon 'yourselves' to be the judge and jury of thier experience in the game.....

and perhaps' if you are the instigator of too much grief...they will take thier zen store purchases elsewhere..... ultimately defeating what you were trying to protect in the first place.

good luck with it anyway......heh.

your turn.
    http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=579311
    We actually get a lot of players asking why we don't want IP Violation characters in our game. They note that our game has plenty of references to other things, and "breaks the fourth wall" all the time with quirky cultural references. That's a valid point, but the interesting thing is that these "IP Violation characters" don't actually bother us on a personal level. The requirement to remove IP Violation characters from Champions is completely based on the fact that having IP Violation characters in our game puts us at a legal risk, and the unfortunate fact of the matter is that we are required to remove them from our game, or the owner of the IP in question can take us to court for stealing their stuff.

Yeah there's only so far you can take with that "so what, as long as they're having fun" argument.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Me I report clones and clone groups on sight I remember all the HooHaa City went through when Marvel employees started making Marvel clones then tried to sue ._.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • lucasjacksonlucasjackson Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited August 2013

If costumes are so significant, then why did they make it so easy for people to make clones? How about that "Totally Not the Punisher" and "Please don't use this to make Captain America" costumes? And what about the "This is totally not a Dark Jedi that we provided you a full costume to go with it" Archetype when TOR came out?

They make it suspiciously easy to break the rules.

They know the costume creator brings in lots of players, but they also have to keep up the facade of "Doing the right thing according to the settlement." And as long as they can show that they're turning people generic for copying a trademarked costume, they're in the clear.

Honestly, if they cared that much, they'd do a weekly search of Supergroups that have Marvel or DC in the name, and searches of any variation of Hulk, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Deadpool, Bat Man, and whatever else is a current hot topic, and nuke them on a regular basis.

Instead they've chosen to turn a blind eye to them, and rely on player reports to keep up appearances.

Well that's how I personally see it, anyway.
    edited August 2013
    my posts are of the differing opinion of the argument topic, nothing more .... I dont care what an anonymous random internet poster "thinks" of me....lol.

like it or leave it. ignore it or post against it, I dont care, I will reply or not if I feel like it....for now it is a good morning coffee debate topic taht I have settled upon.

Ah, the 'I don't care' and 'I just post to amuse myself' routine. How precious.

If you were stating an opinion of the topic, most folks wouldn't care. 'I don't think it's worth bothering about' or 'people are just trying to have fun' or 'hey, at least more people are playing' are sober positions people have taken that other people have disagreed with without much heat.

But you're cast it as a crusade, and lying about the effort people are saying they put into it.

That's what's causing people to go 'oh, what a crock'

edited August 2013
    again...an ad hominem defense appears ....
    Lucas:
    Alternatively, Cryptic's behavior is the least effort required.

Easier to make lots of options and not try to develop some sort of smart filter to work out clones. Easier to not do anything until someone reports it, and then get to it eventually maybe.

edited August 2013
    again...an ad hominem defense appears ....

Really? Where?

'You are making an argument that states people are embarking on a crusade rather than merely disagreeing and denigrates their motives rather than the argument itself.'

That's not ad hominem.

edited August 2013
    *facepalm

you dont like me ... I get it.

I hit a nerve, and you resport to ad hominem,

get over it please.
    You all do realize this discussion has turned into a " my balls are bigger and smarter than yours" ping pong match, don't you?

"Do you know what power is? Power is control of men who are lesser than you."
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Might be a good time to quote AC/DC here but instead I'll just shut this thread down, as if it were some sort of beacon.
    biffsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.