test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Report a whole SG for trademark violation, or . . . ?

roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
So, there are a few SGs in the game made of up mostly clone characters. Many even have characters with a copied name, appearance, and info/backstory.

I don't make it a habit to report clone toons, though I have. Still, when I see a collection of trademarked characters hanging out as a group in the RenCen, it makes me sad, annoyed, something . . . I dunno.

I didn't make a report, but should I?

I mean, this group had an Iron Man, a Doctor Strange, a Scarlet Witch, a Captain America, a Psylocke, and a Spider Man. All at the same time.

*sigh*

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
Post edited by roughbearmattach on

Comments

• cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Eh, you know... I just don't care any more. I leave 'em be these days. Maybe they'll show their comic book fan friends and it'll bring more people to the game. I don't have time to worry about these folks if they aren't bothering me.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    that is the tradeoff I was thinking of

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited August 2013
    Besides, there's enough real problems with people in this game that warrant reporting. Some kid making a Dethstrike or Deathpoo1 isn't worth the time wasted by some GM.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Do you need to be reminded that Marvel now has access to Disney's legal department? Do we need to trot out the tales of terror at the hands of the Mouse's legal droids?

Yes, report them. Please. I don't want PWE to decide that defending CO in court is too much trouble, and shut the place down.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    In case anyone isn't aware of past events and think that Jon is being paranoid, Marvel has sued Cryptic before when they were still running CoX.

Now that a mega corporation like Disney owns Marvel, I think that the risk of legal action is somewhat greater.

I'm just not sure if support sees the issue of copyright clones as being a priority thing though.
  • jellycupsowbugjellycupsowbug Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No, it's too late. There's too many of them now. We must instead take the path of least resistance, and focus our efforts on toppling Disney.
    edited August 2013
    The thing Marvel sued them over had less to do with people making their toons and more to do with certain power animations, as I understand.

I highly doubt that it'll come to suing. Let's not be dramatic.
    edited August 2013
    The thing Marvel sued them over had less to do with people making their toons and more to do with certain power animations, as I understand.

I highly doubt that it'll come to suing. Let's not be dramatic.

Well that's CoX. I noticed that it's far easier to make a clone in CO in terms of likeness to copyrighted characters and not so much powers animations.

Regardless, Marvel has demonstrated in the past that they see no problem in taking legal action. That itself is cause for valid concern.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm inclined to think that anyone who refuses to read TOS, think things through logically, or take into account commentary on the subject on forums or on Zone can go eff themselves.

Report them.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • lucasjacksonlucasjackson Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Do you need to be reminded that Marvel now has access to Disney's legal department? Do we need to trot out the tales of terror at the hands of the Mouse's legal droids?

Yes, report them. Please. I don't want PWE to decide that defending CO in court is too much trouble, and shut the place down.

You may need to be reminded that this would mean Disney/Marvel would be paying more attention to Champions than Cryptic themselves.

Yeah yeah, daycare stories... Who cares? Nobody knows this game exists.
    edited August 2013
    You may need to be reminded that this would mean Disney/Marvel would be paying more attention to Champions than Cryptic themselves.

Yeah yeah, daycare stories... Who cares? Nobody knows this game exists.

Because using hyperbole is an effective way to make a point right?
    edited August 2013
    Usually, when you don't care enough to argue, it's more than enough.
    edited August 2013
    Usually, when you don't care enough to argue, it's more than enough.

Then simply don't involve yourself in the thread, especially if you know you're going to come off as completely arrogant.
    edited August 2013
    Yes, ma'am.
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    always people trying to kill others' fun.

leave em alone.... let them have fun with thier toons.

There have been clones since beta...and no legal action has ever been implemented.

get over it.

and go make a deadpool.
    I've walked in the street, and not gotten hit by a car. Therefore, it must be safe to tap-dance on the freeway. :rolleyes:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

edited August 2013
    Eh, you know... I just don't care any more. I leave 'em be these days. Maybe they'll show their comic book fan friends and it'll bring more people to the game. I don't have time to worry about these folks if they aren't bothering me.

quoted for emphasis....and total agreement.
    There is more than one SG like this, by the way, but the one I saw today was just ridiculous.

• kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've walked in the street, and not gotten hit by a car. Therefore, it must be safe to tap-dance on the freeway. :rolleyes:

This. As pointed out before, Cryptic's already been sued once by Marvel. Do we really need reason for it to happen again?

Report the bastards.
    edited August 2013
    you go get 'em Sheriff !

good luck with your crusade.....

.... I'd rather have fun playing the game with my free time than working as a self appointed toon trooper.
    cgta1967 wrote: »
    always people trying to kill others' fun.

leave em alone.... let them have fun with thier toons.

There have been clones since beta...and no legal action has ever been implemented.

get over it.

and go make a deadpool.

I'm just not going to bother addressing these sort of shallow comments and just quote zahinder since he said it best:
    zahinder wrote: »
    I'm inclined to think that anyone who refuses to read TOS, think things through logically, or take into account commentary on the subject on forums or on Zone can go eff themselves.
    edited August 2013
    you go get 'em Sheriff !

good luck with your crusade.....

.... I'd rather have fun playing the game with my free time than working as a self appointed toon trooper.

Excuse us for not wanting the game to suffer in any way because one of the Mouse's lawyers was feeling particularly vengeful after having a bad day.
    edited August 2013
    as I said....good luck with your crusade..

:rolleyes:
    Um, one GM ticket isn't a crusade. It takes about 2 minutes.

edited August 2013
    and then you see another....another 2 minutes....and another ...another 2 minute ticket....and another... and another ...and another.....lol

sure sounds fun to me :)

but like I said...it's been this way since beta...you arent going to change a thing I'm afraid.
    Personally, I just 'report spam' such characters.

Much faster.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
    edited August 2013
    It doesn't have to "change" anything. It's just to cover Cryptic's legal **** so that if the Mouse does strike, Cryptic can point to its records to show that it's enforcing its policies to not infringe on Marvel's trademarks.
    edited August 2013
    https://support.perfectworld.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3964/~/%28co%29-naming-and-costume-policy
    Character Name, Handle, and Super Group Names May NOT:

...Be the registered property of any other company
    Champions Online offers an incredibly customizable character/costume creator. We understand that you may want to emulate a favorite costume that you know from another source; we ask you be aware of the following guidelines when creating your champion.

...You may not create costumes or costume/name combinations that are recognizable as the registered property of any company. (This includes things such as: comics, anime, movies, or video games.)

Oh, and being a crusader is bad-****.

250px-Norembox.jpg
    edited August 2013
    heh...okay...

:cool:

good job !

Glad to see you have been enforcing the law since 2009

heh
    heh...okay...

:cool:

good job !

Glad to see you have been enforcing the law since 2009

heh

Thanks, somebody has to do it.
    edited August 2013
    too bad we see the same amount of clones today as we did since beta though.....

.... reminds me of the US war on drugs.....
    too bad we see the same amount of clones today as we did since beta though.....

.... reminds me of the US war on drugs.....

Xzibit-Laughing.jpg
    edited August 2013
    This. As pointed out before, Cryptic's already been sued once by Marvel. Do we really need reason for it to happen again?

Free press?
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm not a crusader--this gathering in the RenCenter just threw me off.

edited August 2013
    Right, so in attempt to try to help steer the thread in a more constructive direction after all that mess...

House rules are house rules. If you feel that you're entitled to do whatever you want while being present in an establishment that doesn't belong to you, especially if you do things that can potentially bring adverse consequences or cause damage, then the owner of that establishment has every right to throw you out the door, regardless if you're a paying customer or not.

A lawsuit concerning copyright infringement is something that can prove costly and damaging in the long run. There are expensive legal fees involved for the company being accused even if the lawsuit against them isn't won. Whatever the case, it's a lose-lose situation. Who do you think would cough up the money for the legal fees, and how do you think it'd affect us players?

So PWE and Cryptic are doing nothing wrong in enforcing their house rules. Those of us who acknowledge the need for the enforcement, as well as help act on it, are not being "crusaders", or "fun police", only because we understand why the enforcement is needed and how an adverse event can negatively affect both the companies involved and us players too. If players want to be self-entitled, thinking that they can do whatever the heck they want while ignoring house rules, then they should also be prepared to deal with the consequences of their actions.

At the very least, the intiative shown on the companies' and players' part in addressing copyright infringement sends a message out there that something's proactively being done. Anyone with the argument of "well there hasn't been a lawsuit so far", might want to take that into consideration.
  • malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I think they need to repost this on the main page on the site, and post it as a pop-up window when you create a new character instead of Alerts.

http://co.perfectworld.com/news/?p=579311
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    gungal01.jpg
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lucasjackson beat me:

Yeah yeah, daycare stories... Who cares? Nobody knows this game exists

That's pretty much where I am. Champions is not on anyone's radar. Besides, Marvel got slapped down in that suit, because most of their claims were about it being POSSIBLE to make clones (only illustrated by Marvel's people making clones), rather than it actually happening to a significant degree. CoX just kept people from doing it to avoid potential problems.

So, report or don't, as you will, but in the end it's not likely to make a bit of difference one way or another.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Free press?
    You seem to be under the impression that the legal teams of PWE and Cryptic would be at all interested in defending these cloning yahoos in court. It seems more likely to me that the Corporate Overlords would decide that going to court would be too expensive, and instead order the shutdown of CO to avoid any further action.

Now, if that's what y'all are aiming for...

• decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Most realistic scenario, should Disney's lawyers even bother to come knocking, would be "We have a reporting system in place. You saw clones? Give us the info and we'll be happy to cancel those peoples' accounts." Really, it's all a bit of a kerfuffle over something that's unlikely to happen.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited August 2013
    Pop quiz, fashion police:

Ever stopped one of the clone guys and maybe let 'em know that what they're doing is against the ToS?

Like, "Hey dude, you know if someone wants to be a jerk and they report you for it, the GM's will reset your dude to default and you can't log in that toon again until you change the name. Just sayin'. What would be cool though, if you made a kind of homage to that character with different colors and a different name."

Because don't sit here and pretend you all read the ToS. I know better. You clicked 'Yeah, whatever, I wanna do superheroes' and then you started playing. Most of you don't mention the ToS until cloning comes up.

I used to care, but I don't any more. I'm not a GM, and there are much bigger problems worth reporting more so than someone with no creativity.

It's not my job to make sure people don't use certain combinations of certain parts to create a clone of a character. It's damn near impossible to make completely accurate versions. By this logic, Lego can get sued by CBS because it's entirely possible to make a starship similar to the Enterprise with their blocks.

The lawsuit from before had more to do with power animations rather than the actual costumes, people. And to be honest? Marvel doesn't own the rights to 'powers', so that's why the whole 'Cryptic got sued' thing won't hold water.

People in this game are actively roleplaying pedophile characters, the last of my concerns is W0LVR1N3 with a Green Dragon mask.
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Pop quiz, fashion police:

Ever stopped one of the clone guys and maybe let 'em know that what they're doing is against the ToS?

Like, "Hey dude, you know if someone wants to be a jerk and they report you for it, the GM's will reset your dude to default and you can't log in that toon again until you change the name. Just sayin'. What would be cool though, if you made a kind of homage to that character with different colors and a different name."

Because don't sit here and pretend you all read the ToS. I know better. You clicked 'Yeah, whatever, I wanna do superheroes' and then you started playing. Most of you don't mention the ToS until cloning comes up.

I used to care, but I don't any more. I'm not a GM, and there are much bigger problems worth reporting more so than someone with no creativity.

It's not my job to make sure people don't use certain combinations of certain parts to create a clone of a character. It's damn near impossible to make completely accurate versions. By this logic, Lego can get sued by CBS because it's entirely possible to make a starship similar to the Enterprise with their blocks.

The lawsuit from before had more to do with power animations rather than the actual costumes, people. And to be honest? Marvel doesn't own the rights to 'powers', so that's why the whole 'Cryptic got sued' thing won't hold water.

People in this game are actively roleplaying pedophile characters, the last of my concerns is W0LVR1N3 with a Green Dragon mask.

^^^ I see there are some adults on this forum who use logic.....impressive.
  • holloweaverholloweaver Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You seem to be under the impression that the legal teams of PWE and Cryptic would be at all interested in defending these cloning yahoos in court. It seems more likely to me that the Corporate Overlords would decide that going to court would be too expensive, and instead order the shutdown of CO to avoid any further action.

Now, if that's what y'all are aiming for...

Well... in this hypothesis, you know that before things would go that far, there would be a conciliation?
    Even if things would go that far, this means Disney would pay lawyers, spend money into legal sues and I doubt they would do that just to close players' made SuperGroup... no matter how many SG it might concern.

Does it mean these clones aren't a problem?
    I dont say so but calling on Marvel/Disney argument it's just... oversized.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes, Cyber, I have repeatedly toldpeople that their clone is agianst the CONTRACT that they agreed to before making their first character. I beleive it's section 11.

"Aww, I can make it, so it must be allowed."
    " go f.. off."
    "who cares?"
    "Get a life"

The same goes for the boots, belt and tattoos costumes,

so I just report them, If I have a new character in the PH, this can mean putting up to 5 people on a single report.

The one I haven't reported is Kinetik, he has the costume and even in alerts acts in character. Don't know who he is but he's great
    SG Marvellus, actually is not doing clones that I have seen, but major variations.
    SG M..... A.... is clones.

SG Millenium A...... doesn't have clones that I have seen. Some quite good costumes in theirs.
    This is actually under naming and ciostume policy- NOT the TOS.

Character Name, Handle, and Super Group Names May NOT:
    ?Incorporate vulgar, obscene, hateful, defamatory language or imagery
    ?Be derogatory towards race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic background or cultural background
    ?Incorporate the name or image of a major religious figure or deity, nor any form of religious title, especially with a costume resembling representations of the figure
    ?Be the registered property of any other company
    ?Relate to illegal drugs or activities
    ?Advertise any website, product, or service
    ?Be designed to impersonate a real world individual
    ?Be the name of any Cryptic Studios or Perfect World product, character, or employee (This includes Cryptic or Perfect World Game Masters)(I actually reported myself and asked for permission when I made Private cryptic)

Costume Policies

Champions Online offers an incredibly customizable character/costume creator. We understand that you may want to emulate a favorite costume that you know from another source; we ask you be aware of the following guidelines when creating your champion.
    ?You may not create costumes or costume/name combinations that are recognizable as the registered property of any company. (This includes things such as: comics, anime, movies, or video games.)
    ?When creating costume combinations, you may not create the illusion or appearance that you are indecent, obscene, or nude.

this bit is from the TOS
    You agree not to post, upload to, transmit, distribute, store, create or otherwise publish through the Site any of the following:
    (a) User Content that is unlawful, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, indecent, lewd, suggestive, harassing, threatening, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, abusive, inflammatory, fraudulent or otherwise objectionable;
    (b) User Content that would constitute, encourage or provide instructions for a criminal offense, violate the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, state, national or international law,
    (c) User Content that may infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual or proprietary right of any party. By posting any User Content, you represent and warrant that you have the lawful right to distribute and reproduce such User Content
    (d) User Content that impersonates any person or entity or otherwise misrepresents your affiliation with a person or entity;
    (e) Unsolicited promotions, political campaigning, advertising or solicitations;
    (f) Private information of any third party, including, without limitation, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, Social Security numbers and credit card numbers;
    (g) Viruses, corrupted data or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files; and
    (h) User Content that violates the Rules of Conduct or that, in the sole judgment of PWE, is objectionable or which restricts or inhibits any other person from using or enjoying the Interactive Areas or the Site, or which may expose PWE or its users to any harm or liability of any type.

Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited August 2013
    ariesmajor wrote: »
    ^^^ I see there are some adults on this forum who use logic.....impressive.

I'm not even trying to be a jerk here, it's just that over the last few months, I've found it's less trouble to worry about others and I just focus on what I'm doing. If I don't like what someone else made, there's plenty of game turf to just do my thing elsewhere.

I also expect the impending straw man accusations to come flying about how I don't respect an artist's original creative property, I don't care about Champions Online and I should go back to playing [insert game I don't play], or that I support cloning characters because I think CO's setting is lame. I have come to expect exactly this from foaming-at-the-mouth fanpersons with no sense or rationale.

I only report people for harassment, racism, pedo-RP, extreme exploits, abuse of the chat-ban system, and other degenerate behavior. The general rule I set for myself is 'I don't want to interfere with someone's gaming experience, unless they're interfering with mine'. Otherwise ignoring it works- and usually, I try to ignore it the way normal people ignore things by 'not paying it any mind' more so than 'click a feature which makes this person not be able to interact with me' (I also don't feel the need to announce I've done either, so it's more amusing to me to see a problematic player make an even bigger fool of himself when he doesn't get attention from me).

The problem we have is when people start piling up the reports on clones. Buried in that pile of whining is some report of something inappropriate- some sick degenerate behavior, harassment, etc. Someone has to sort through all the fashion police's tattling on D34dp007's and B4ttm4n's to find real problems people are having with other players or game functions. So, as I see it- because you're so worried about Cryptic's potential legal troubles, you're screwing some other player. Cryptic has a legal team, and I'm sure they're no stranger to the possibilities of what could happen. I'm also pretty sure that after 4 years if Marvel, DC, and whoever else hasn't noticed CO's cloning- they probably won't, or if they have they've done the smart thing and realized that the case won't hold water and they'd spend more money in legal fees than they could get from Cryptic.

Have you tried Neverwinter?

Because I have to end this rant somehow.
    edited August 2013
    Edited, because bleh.

But, a fun little fact- on some of my characters, to include my main- I've made 'clone' costumes. It's still the name of my character that is original, but sometimes for fun I get bored and just make a 'homage' costume.

I've created several GI Joe members (Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Zartan, Cobra Commander, Cobra Viper).

I've made modern versions of Deathstroke and nearly the entire Bat-Family (To include Jason Todd Red Hood).

I've created Deadpool (Which was scary-easy), as well as nearly the entire X-Men team (except Wolverine).

I've also made Elvis, Hank Williams Jr., Michael Jackson, and Vanilla Ice.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2013
    I do not care.

I'm not a GM.

There are indeed worse kinds of behavior deserving players being outright banned, like some fetishes in Caprice.

If game publisher do not care - why should I? *shrug*

And when I log in it is to play the game, not to do unpaid policing.

Also, at least Marvel/DC clones are looking like comic book characters. No spikes, excessive glows and unneeded wings.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    for harrasment and problem people, I don't use ther ticket system, i email with a screen shot. I find I get a quicker response.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

This discussion has been closed.