test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Child's Play Marathon Livestream

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited August 2013 in Super News Network
This is a little bit off-topic, but I know many of you enjoy my livestreams, so I'mma post this. Me and a few other members of the Community team will be doing a 24 hour marathon livestream for Child's Play on Tuesday.

We'll be streaming Neverwinter: some of the upcoming Feywild content, hanging out with players, and fighting through sleep madness. If you've ever wanted to see what I look like after the caffeine stops working... this is your shot.

Blog: http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=955991
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited August 2013
    We're already at $95 in donations, out of a goal of $1k, and we're still 60 hours away from starting. Thank you all for your support, it feels dang good to be able to help give back to help sick kids. Thank you everyone, and tune in on Tuesday -- we'll do our best to make you laugh for 24 hours straight.
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Even though it's NW I guess I can watch and stuff.

Only cause the Turtleman is in it though.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you find the time/energy for it, I would adore it if ya'll did a CO Lair endurance rush. Of course, this is Neverwinter focused, so fat chance of that happening!

Something to consider. :P

'til then, hooray raising money for sick kids!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    After 4th Child's Play, Chucky's jokes weren't funny any more.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited August 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »
    If you find the time/energy for it, I would adore it if ya'll did a CO Lair endurance rush. Of course, this is Neverwinter focused, so fat chance of that happening!

Something to consider. :P

'til then, hooray raising money for sick kids!

Unfortunately, yeah, this is NW-exclusive. I'm only part of it because of my gorgeous face and winning personality. :P
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Unfortunately, yeah, this is NW-exclusive. I'm only part of it because of my gorgeous face and winning personality. :P

Yea I know, we can't have Cryptic promote or use their other games..

STO I can kind of understand, since it's a licensed pro.. wait.. no, NW is a licensed property so.. WTF?

Anyway, this and the failure to promote CO at Comic COns and all that.. sigh..

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
    edited August 2013
    Anyway, this and the failure to promote CO at Comic COns and all that.. sigh..

Odd though it sounds, we've done similar things in the past, and by and large they haven't done as well as you'd expect. Reaching out to comics players and trying to bring them into CO, hasn't worked as well as trying to bring MMO players into CO. Frankly, the times we've advertised CO on its own, without just being part of another Hero Games booth, have been failures for us.

(Note: I understand that many of the players here are coming from hardcore comics backgrounds. We have to base these kinds of decisions on statistics, though, not anecdotal evidence.)
    edited August 2013
    Odd though it sounds, we've done similar things in the past, and by and large they haven't done as well as you'd expect. Reaching out to comics players and trying to bring them into CO, hasn't worked as well as trying to bring MMO players into CO. Frankly, the times we've advertised CO on its own, without just being part of another Hero Games booth, have been failures for us.

(Note: I understand that many of the players here are coming from hardcore comics backgrounds. We have to base these kinds of decisions on statistics, though, not anecdotal evidence.)

I'm then mystified how CoX built such a following but CO seemed to be dead in the water. either the prior team was more competent or the team you got now isn't very.

-edit-

Also, last time I brought this up there was a denial that any attempt to advertise happened .. so.. bah, what ever.

In game as @forgemccain
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm then mystified how CoX built such a following but CO seemed to be dead in the water. either the prior team was more competent or the team you got now isn't very.

-edit-

Also, last time I brought this up there was a denial that any attempt to advertise happened .. so.. bah, what ever.

Largely because back then there wasn't any competition for Superhero MMOs.

The uncreative nerds have DCUO and MUA to flock to. Now you know why there's so many clones in this game.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    Largely because back then there wasn't any competition for Superhero MMOs.

The uncreative nerds have DCUO and MUA to flock to. Now you know why there's so many clones in this game.

Or it could have something to do with how often they get content and updates, and Sony doesn't constantly blame tech issues or the lack of space for why they can't do something, or why we can't get permanent content. Sony has been hosting a weekly livestream on twitch for the past 16 weeks, with regular podcasts between updates, where they actually talk about the game and tell the players whats going on.
    edited August 2013
    draogn wrote: »
    Or it could have something to do with how often they get content and updates, and Sony doesn't constantly blame tech issues or the lack of space for why they can't do something, or why we can't get permanent content. Sony has been hosting a weekly livestream on twitch for the past 16 weeks, with regular podcasts between updates, where they actually talk about the game and tell the players whats going on.

Hmmm that might have something to do with it.

Especially if TT is right and Comic nerds aren't the people to reach but MMO nerds are >.>

In game as @forgemccain
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Yeah, that honestly just sounds like a piss poor attempt, and even some BS. On guild sites I have seen Marvel Heroes, DCUO, Neverwinter, Random free to play crap, but never CO. I barely ever see CO on the PW website.

Apparently I cannot see how you could possibly fail at grabbing comic books fans in droves for this game at someplace like Comic-Con...then again I bet the team was full of anti-social people you would find at a fast food restraunt who obviously don't want to be there.

Sorry if I come off as a jerk. I just think that the attempts to promote this game have been completely laughable and insulting.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You think Cryptic would want to promote all their games to all their game player bases constantly.

Rather than just:

NWO -> STO

STO -> NWO

CO -> NWO and STO
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't fault the intent. TT obviously didn't have 100% control over which game that would run the event. He came to the CO community to invite us to participate in something fun, and for a noble cause. It's just unfortunate that the event is exclusive to NW, but I think that TT doesn't deserve this kind of backlash nonetheless.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    I can't fault the intent. TT obviously didn't have 100% control over which game that would run the event. He came to the CO community to invite us to participate in something fun, and for a noble cause. It's just unfortunate that the event is exclusive to NW, but I think that TT doesn't deserve this kind of backlash nonetheless.

Agreed. I'm gently picking on him over the "first rule of champions" thing, but hell. Dude's staying up 24 hours to help sick kids and thought we might wanna play along. I don't see the problem here.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I caught some of the first third of the broadcast. TT and the gang were pretty entertaining. Looks like TT will have to grow a beard (he promised to if they hit $1600, and it looks like they hit just over the $3000 mark). Congrats on raising some money for Child's Play. =)
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I made it to midnight their time, and checked back in at 6am. Turtle didn't look nearly as insane as I expected. I was almost disappointed.

Kudos on the big win for charity, man. That was a good thing you guys did.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ok, I liked the podcast and was on for a pretty decent portion of it with some of the other CO Vets like Dardove, Rune, Taco, and others(sorry if I didn't mention you specifically). We even got them to talk about CO from time to time(since I was in CO the entire time) which was nice(and puts them above Jack imo). It was for a good cause. TT does do streams for CO from time to time and they are entertaining.

Now, having said that, yeah. When the Marketing Director was on(TT was getting food) I asked a few times how CO had even been marketed and never got a reply. In many circles "CO Marketing" is an Urban Legend right up there with "CO GMs." I do not think this is the fault of TT(he is still the best we've ever had for a CR by a LONGSHOT IMO) but I don't even think CO was marketed in 2009. Someone from Marketing should come into this thread and explain their plan for this...if for nothing else than to confirm there even is a plan.

Overall though, nice event. My only suggestion for next time would be less emphasis on memes, #Hashtags, and Chuck Norris. It got almost unbearable in a few spots due to all the stupid and having to all but use a # to get anything seen.

BTW, something that was nice but I didn't quite understand how it happened. There were quite a few people joining the stream(I daresay double digit easily) who had never heard of NW and downloaded it while they chatted and people answered their questions. How did these people get there? This seemed to work. Can we make whatever was used to make this happen work for CO?

P.S.: TT has to grow a beard.
    P.S.S.: Could someone at Cryptic/PW please buy TT a Netflix Account for his hard work. The guy is so far behind on movies it's almost sad. Please help TT. :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    1. Good on ya for helping kids TT. Enjoy your beard.

2. CO WAS marketed one time at least, but this was years ago. If I remember correctly it occurred during STO's Del Taco "debacle". It involved putting time codes on peel off stickers on Slurpee cups at 7-11 franchises. The problem was one did not have to actually purchase a slurpee, just peel the sticker off the cup. I think this may have also been the cause for the screw up with the Del Taco deal, too tired to research it atm and really it's just history now, so no biggie.

2a- Was kinda ruined when random people would show up on either board bragging "herpy derp I got all this free time for free by stealing hur hur".

I think what TT said he must have heard when brought on, as attempts at marketing CO had stopped long before PWE purchased Cryptic.

At any rate, apologies for the derail.

*Next time someone bets TT that he has to grow something, make it a proper pirate beard, and for 2 solid weeks he must start every sentence with "Arrrrrr matey!" ; No exceptions- he may only explain he lost a bet if superiors begin to think he's gone wacko. Oh-he must carry a hidden cam somewhere to record the ensuing hilarity.
    edited August 2013
    kallethen wrote: »
    ... Looks like TT will have to grow a beard (he promised to if they hit $1600, and it looks like they hit just over the $3000 mark). Congrats on raising some money for Child's Play. =)

Yeup, the beard-growing has begun. I'll post pics/stream with the beard so you all have proof. :P

I made it to midnight their time, and checked back in at 6am. Turtle didn't look nearly as insane as I expected. I was almost disappointed.

Kudos on the big win for charity, man. That was a good thing you guys did.

I was surprised as well! Granted, there was a ton of help from other folks -- Melanderi, ElderGodling, and Deztravus took the hot seat during those early hours, and that helped a ton -- but the energy and knowing I was on camera definitely helped. Then I hit my second wind at 10AM, and that was awesome.

Glad you guys enjoyed it!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2013

-edit-

^^^
    Yep CoH's following was SO LARGE and profitable that NCSoft has kept CoX running to this day...oh, wait.

In all seriousness it doesn't seem anu superhero MMO has really hit the 'big time' as it were - CoX bled enough subs that NCSoft (who doesn't have a lot of F2P games even in Korea, their main source of income 'Lineage' - which still outperforms every other NCSoft MMO to this day - is still subscription based) took it free to play after the (back then) just launched paid 'Going Rogue' didn't sell through well; and when that didn't improve CoX's profitability, they closed it - and took those financial resources and invested it in the games they were seeing much better ROI on.

Even DCUO (based on the major DC pantheon of heroes going back 76 years) didn't do well enough to avoid having to go F2P and effectively merge servers. Marvel Heroes (which is more of a Diablo style game with multiplayer although it's own development team calls it an MMO) isn't doing that well either.

Thus in the end, I don't know what to say, other then the Superhero sub-genre of MMOs has yet to fair well under ANY developer, regardless of if it's based on a major IP or not.

(And before you say I just a COH hater, I was one of the first 300 players selected for CoH closed beta back in 2003 - and played for about 6 years of it's 8 year lifespan. I'm well aware of what it did well/right and what it's shortcomings were - and it had quite a few.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."