test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What's new?

silveragefogeysilveragefogey Posts: 39 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
It's been a little while since I deactivated my gold account, since there was nothing new to do with any new toons and I'd had my fill of same-ol'-grind.

Anything new and interesting in the game that would draw back my fifteen bucks a month?

Grind. Grind never changes.
If you're playing CO and reporting any bugs, you're STILL an unpaid QA technician.
"Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied" - message from PW customer service.
Post edited by silveragefogey on

Comments

• kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Sadly not old friend. The only new playable content that's been put in has been different forms of alerts. You'd probably go through all of them within an hour or two. Everything else is pretty much the same as when I last saw you. Good to see you by the way.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's been a little while since I deactivated my gold account, since there was nothing new to do with any new toons and I'd had my fill of same-ol'-grind.

Anything new and interesting in the game that would draw back my fifteen bucks a month?

They took that "same-ol'-grind" and ran with it. There's fun to be had, but if you get bored doing the same thing over and over, then I don't recommend reactivating your gold account for more than a month, and even then you'll probably be wasting some money.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Trailturtle could use your $15.
    Just sayin.
  • silveragefogeysilveragefogey Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, it's been six more months. More costumes, vehicles, all kinds of stuff I guess.

Anything worth actually playing, though? Real content? Not instances? Thanks!

ELS

If you're playing CO and reporting any bugs, you're STILL an unpaid QA technician.
    "Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied" - message from PW customer service.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nope, not really. We've just been having these "temporary event" things that don't stick around. I suppose the few Fatal Err0r missions are the only thing that qualify as "new content" as they're apparently the first permanent additions seen in ages, but you'll have them finished in minutes.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,585 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you want non-instanced content, we haven't had any since Vibora Bay came out. You aren't likely to get anything that is non-instanced from here on out.
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Just play DCUO from now on. This game is done.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    Just play FREEDOM FORCE from now on. This game is done.

Fixed that for you.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Freedom Force has the best costume creator. But only if you have 3dsMax. And know how to actually use GIMP/Have Photoshop.

Also the best power editor. But good luck finding anyone to show your hero swag off to.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    Freedom Force has the best costume creator. But only if you have 3dsMax. And know how to actually use GIMP/Have Photoshop.

Also the best power editor. But good luck finding anyone to show your hero swag off to.
    I LOVE Freedom Force! :biggrin: So does my nephew.

Whenever he comes over, he'd rather play FF than another game on my old PC. He loves being able to BASH tons of bad guys with ease and bounding up onto tall buildings makes him laugh when they can't follow.

I think his favorite move by far is grabbing a streetlight and swatting dozens of thugs at once. It gives him the giggles. It's one of those rare times when watch someone else play a game is actually more enjoyable. :biggrin:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited August 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

They took that "same-ol'-grind" and ran with it. There's fun to be had, but if you get bored doing the same thing over and over, then I don't recommend reactivating your gold account for more than a month, and even then you'll probably be wasting some money.

Well this was an easy response post to make.

• draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There are tech issues, or they are running out of room I can't remember which excuse they gave the last time, that prevent them from giving us permanent content apparently.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Database issues, I think it was.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    yes, not enough devs bothered to enter in the database where stuff was, so now if they fiddle with something they are just as likely to stuff up something else.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well, it's been six more months. More costumes, vehicles, all kinds of stuff I guess.

ELS

What's wrong with instanced content? In every MMO I've ever played, most of the endgame content is instanced.

Other than instances, what could they add? More contacts telling us to beat up 17 Viper agents and steal their pants, or another open mission for people to ignore once they've got the perk, and realize that the top reward is a green secondary and two MCPD Recognition?

Instances are where all the good content is: Adventure Packs, Comic Series, Lairs, even the Alerts that so many people complain about.
    What's wrong with instanced content? In every MMO I've ever played, most of the endgame content is instanced.

Other than instances, what could they add? More contacts telling us to beat up 17 Viper agents and steal their pants, or another open mission for people to ignore once they've got the perk, and realize that the top reward is a green secondary and two MCPD Recognition?

Instances are where all the good content is: Adventure Packs, Comic Series, Lairs, even the Alerts that so many people complain about.

He probably meant non-alert and non-temporary.

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013

ELS

Why don't you log in and try things out yourself to come to your own judgement? It won't cost you a single cent to do just that.
  • caycepollardcaycepollard Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Why don't you log in and try things out yourself to come to your own judgement? It won't cost you a single cent to do just that.

If s/he is on a limited bandwidth internet plan, and has uninstalled the game (because s/he hasn't been playing it in months), it =could= conceivably cost a cent or two to download the game. Also, if you're like my internet, and get less than 200kbps, then you don't want to spend 3 nights downloading a game to see if it has much "new" content. Not everybody has 5mbps download unlimited fiberoptic internet service. Your answer doesn't take that into account, and sounds like you're trying to be a "smartass", I'm sorry to say. Sometimes it really IS worth soliciting the opinions of others.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013

If s/he is on a limited bandwidth internet plan, and has uninstalled the game (because s/he hasn't been playing it in months), it =could= conceivably cost a cent or two to download the game. Also, if you're like my internet, and get less than 200kbps, then you don't want to spend 3 nights downloading a game to see if it has much "new" content. Not everybody has 5mbps download unlimited fiberoptic internet service. Your answer doesn't take that into account, and sounds like you're trying to be a "smartass", I'm sorry to say. Sometimes it really IS worth soliciting the opinions of others.

REALLY that was uncalled for , The OP pops in now and then is a quite a well known face about game. He has it already installed.

Jenny talking to OP is like two old mates bumping into each other in the streets theres a level of familiarity involved .
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I also have been playing recently again..... and loving it.

mind you I have been away for nearly a year this time ( but still very glad I got a lifetime sub during open beta ).

but hey....I'm a happy camper again making heroes, and redescovering the old tried and true ones.

I really hope this game lasts for a long time.... it is a dearly beloved one in my game collection.

I can leave for a long time, and thoroughly enjoy the time when I do come back.

( Hi my name is #&#*%, and I am a costume creator and powerhouse addict )

Alright two things:

1) I was not trying to be a smartass. I was just pointing out that first-hand gameplay was the best way to get an opinion. That's really just it.

2) I saw no indication that the OP is on a limited bandwidth connection or had the game uninstalled. That's you jumping to conclusions.

Geez.
  • slumpywpgslumpywpg Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

i freaking
    love
    those
    games

respect for nepht +10
    edited August 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Alright two things:

1) I was not trying to be a smartass. I was just pointing out that first-hand gameplay was the best way to get an opinion. That's really just it.

2) I saw no indication that the OP is on a limited bandwidth connection or had the game uninstalled. That's you jumping to conclusions.

Geez.

The player in question has first-hand play experience, several months ago. They are asking if there has been anything added to that play experience to see if they should bother downloading and logging in at all. The fact that they have play experience is how they know that it's a legitimate question to ask.

This is a common thing to do in MMOs with slow content updates; seen it happen many a time on other game forums.

Hopping onto the forum, asking if there's anything new, and getting a few "No" responses is thousands of times quicker than wasting all that time downloading, logging in, and looking around just to find out the same answer.

Your posts seem to be directed at someone who has never played and is asking if the game is worth playing at all. That person is not here, please wait for them to arrive.

• jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

The player in question has first-hand play experience, several months ago. They are asking if there has been anything added to that play experience to see if they should bother downloading and logging in at all. The fact that they have play experience is how they know that it's a legitimate question to ask.

This is a common thing to do in MMOs with slow content updates; seen it happen many a time on other game forums.

Hopping onto the forum, asking if there's anything new, and getting a few "No" responses is thousands of times quicker than wasting all that time downloading, logging in, and looking around just to find out the same answer.

Your posts seem to be directed at someone who has never played and is asking if the game is worth playing at all. That person is not here, please wait for them to arrive.

My posts are not directed at someone who has never played the game before. I have read the thread. I know the OP has played the game before. I don't need to be told to wait for someone who has never played the game before in order to recommend that they try the game either. I am not a moron. Thanks for your condescension.

When I said "first-hand experience", I meant first-hand experience playing the game in the current to see for themselves whatever new additions have been made and to possibly experience them through actual gameplay. The OP might also find renewed enjoyment in things familiar they might have found fun before. "First-hand" does not mean " for the first time".

I have also never said that it wasn't a legitimate question to ask.

And once again I'm seeing the assumption that the OP has fully uninstalled their game. That has never been stated. Please stop using that as an argument unless it's confirmed by the OP.

I can't believe I actually have to defend myself like this just because some people decided to project whatever it is they think I meant to say when it's not the case at all.
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Guys, guys, I think the real culprit here is text-only communication.

I can see how Jenny's initial post could come off as slightly condescending, depending how you make it sound in your head while reading. That is all.
  • silveragefogeysilveragefogey Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hi! Wow, I didn't mean to ignite any firestorm... so let's all cool down.

ITEM: She is a he. :wink:

ITEM: I deactivated my account at 1202 days, so I've been around a little while, albeit not much in the past several months.

ITEM: Right now, I'm checking out some other F2P games. I'm checking out if one is as marvelous as claimed; and another because I felt my path in CO had exiled me.

ITEM: I didn't mean to be knocking CO at all; I LOVE this game. When I was month-to-month, I regretted not having gone lifetime - ah, well, this is how we learn. But I got to the point where there was just ONE path from hero creation to saving the world. Level limit, and it seemed that the only new activity was "stuff" to keep the masses happy - but no new zones, no new "storyline" content (so I don't think of instances as "content"; they don't supply anything new along a main line to continue holding my interest.) As noted, definitely non-alert and definitely non-temporary.

ITEM: Jennymachx, thank you for the suggestion about logging in and trying it again myself. I had no silver characters, so I'd be starting from scratch - and I'm not sure I want to dedicate the time to a silver char and leveling up. Yes, surely it can be done - but since I last played, I'd kinda hoped for more to interest me reactivating my gold account.

ITEM: Caycepollard, thanks for the good word. He (really, I just checked :wink: ) has the game, but the downloads to get to current would indeed take an awfully long time. I just am not sure if it's worth it, which is why I'm checking in.

Thanks all for your replies! Please keep those cards and letters coming - but for now, I think I'm still gonna pursue my other paths, and hope I'm marvelous at them. I'll keep checking in, though - someday the Silver Age Fogey will take to the skies of Millennium City again!

xoxoxo
    The Silver Age Fogey (still no names allowed in sigs, eh?)
    x<]:o){