test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ebon Rift.

hexsinghexsing Posts: 31 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Power Discussion
Ok. This has been bothering me. :mad:

There are certain powers that obviosly need love. There are some that people would like to see get some hate.

My question is simple.

Why is Whirlwind and Snow Storm not on a cooldown, but Ebon Rift is. I get that there are some damage considderations, but I never understood this.

Also Hurricane and Epidemic confuse me. They are great, but I have seen people just run through an entire area spamming only Epidemic because well you can move around when you are using both.

I just don't get Epon Rift's cooldown. I mean the perk is not something I would take. I don't generally like flinging things around.

Also...do poeple take Arcane Storm Summoning? It could use a buff, or perhaps I am off base with this, but it looks like such a cool power, but why take it when you can take Hurricane...other than it's debuff, which lasts such a short time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old time member. I miss NERF :eek:
Post edited by hexsing on

Comments

• Options
    ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't see a problem with that...Ebon Rift was hardly broken before the addition of Hurricane/Whirlwind as it was, and now a lot of those kinds of powers completely overshadow it, making Darkness as a whole powerset less attractive...I know my Darkness toon has Ego Blades and Skarn's Bane because I never liked any of the Darkness powers :cool:

I also agree that Invocation of Storm Calling needs...something. The adv. adds minimal damage and the delay from the "entire" maintain is borderline terrible. My latest 40 used it...just for kicks and, I have to say, I understood why I hadn't taken that power in a long, long time. This is coming from someone that ALWAYS runs with a full set of heirloom gear so every power I use while leveling is being used to the maximum potential. It was still pretty pathetic :frown:

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • Options
    hexsinghexsing Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    True. I see your point. However Ebon Rift. I see no reason why this should have a cool down. I mean the radius is not insane. The damage is...whatever. Dimentional damage is i guess perhaps resisted less than other types..I am assuming this, but not sure.

I mean taking the advantage would make it less spammable because it blows everything away. The snare and drag to the center I was thinking would be ok considering with my theme I use DoT"s which would round up my opponents and then drop them down.

But the cooldown, considdering I think Snowstorm does sort of the same thing.

As for Invocation of Storm Calling. It sounds awesome. I mean it's a repell, a Debuff and does some electical damage. Cool sounding. Not so much in the long run, but as a legacy power before Wind, it was a maintained repel with a damage element.

It could use a bit of an overhaul now. I think the Devs should do something to make it more unique.

Overall though...Ebon Rift. Remove the Cooldown. Or...I dunno give it some other advantage.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old time member. I miss NERF :eek:
  • Options
    rstzedrstzed Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ebon Rift has a lingering effect. If you do the full maintain it will last for another 6 or 12 seconds (I can;t remember which). A full Ebon Rift followed by Shadow Embrace is real nasty. It has a cool down because of the lasting effect.
  • Options
    l1ghtstarl1ghtstar Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rstzed wrote: »
    Ebon Rift has a lingering effect. If you do the full maintain it will last for another 6 or 12 seconds (I can;t remember which). A full Ebon Rift followed by Shadow Embrace is real nasty. It has a cool down because of the lasting effect.

So does Whirlwind and Snowstorm...

Im assuming, and only assuming, that since at launch, in September 09, Snowstorm and Ebon Rift were the only two of its type, and the damage Ebon Rift is far greater than Snowstorm's.But just like other powers in different categories, new powers keep getting made while old powers get left as is.
    Light Star Alliance (my toons with build guides & videos)
    Nature Powerset
    @Man.of.Light
  • Options
    falchoinfalchoin Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    My guess at why Ebon Rift has a cooldown mainly has to do with the advantage which deals extreme damage per tick but also knocks targets away. Originally it didn't do reduced damage to knock immune targets which allowed for insane dps and likely had the cooldown because of it. After the change the rest of the power was likely not rebalanced. Such things have happened to multiple powers throughout CO's history.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]