test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My first ever "I'm out" thread...

wethree1wethree1 Posts: 149 Arc User
You guys are great, but it seems like I only ever log in any more to say hi to my beloved heroes that I created, not to actually play the game. I just can't remember the last time I really had fun playing.

Brief history for those interested (it's not that interesting).

Grew up on comics and PnP, had played a little Champions PnP. Wasn't an online "gamer" at all--had never played one. Joined CoH just after beta because a WoW-playing friend told me there was this new game he was playing where you could make up and play your own Superhero. Played, was amazed, got my son an account too, and later my wife, and it became a family affair. I swear we enjoyed that game more every year we played it.

When I heard CoH was dying, I participated in every sensible effort to stop or reverse it, but got a Champions account for me and my wife and son as a personal "plan B". Wasn't looking for another CoH, just another good superhero game. Initially didn't like the "Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon" art and tone, but LOVED the costume and power customization, and had fun learning the ropes.

But, as we played the the lack of development and content became more and more obvious. I began haunting to forums, something I'd never done much on CoH, to try to understand what was going on with the game. No matter how hard I encouraged them, my wife and son just lost interest. My wife was the first to go. The art, tone, and lack of easy teaming got her to the point where she just wasn't having fun.

Then my son dropped off, saying that while there were a few amazing moments (I still remember the first night that he and I did Resistance together with the sewers filling with water and the giant robots--that rocked), over all he just wasn't enjoying the general content or doing those few awesome things over and over.

I was the last hold-out, but I had to admit that eventually I only really logged on to say hi to my beloved toons. I genuinely wanted to want to play, but I didn't really have a desire to actually play the game any more. I was constantly making excuses to myself as to why I still played, but they were sounding more and more hollow.

If I had any hope that significant development was actually coming that might have been different, but I don't.

I know I haven't been here long, but I'll miss you guys--you're a great community.

So, with a heavy heart, I'm out.
Post edited by wethree1 on

Comments

• flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    May i acquire your belongings?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    All the best wherever you end up.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This thread made me cry, it's full of sad and goodbyes...

depressed_Kitty.jpg

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • alexofspades#2085 alexofspades Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Another one left us. These threads are always so sad. I think i'm going to cry so much when i log on Champs and there is only one MC instance...
    ERgLqqC.png
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    *shrug*

Lots of people still play. Most people don't stay with games indefinitely.

Think of how sad you will be when CO eventually closes.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Part of me is disappointed that this isn't a "coming out" thread. :biggrin:

Honestly, I will not be sad when this game closes. I know some of you will wonder why, then, I am here, and that the bulk of you won't bat an eye. For me, this is not a game, the way City of Heroes was. City was the first game I thought was worth paying a monthly sub for, and I have yet to find another game that I felt was worth that.

On the other hand, that feeling of "putting on the spandex and killing Skuls" is like an itch that has to be scratched, and I mostly find the other option annoying. Hell, I never participated in the CoH forums, either. I only came to this one to gauge the reaction to Jack's "have NCSoft call me" comment. It's fun to watch people here argue, and sometimes it's fun to join in. Watching a thread implode spectacularly is almost more fun than playing the game, some nights.

What Champs, and the other PWE games (though I haven't given anything not made by Cryptic a serious chance, yet) have is the ability to earn "real" currency through game play. That changes the game, making it more of an exercise in seeing how much I can get for "nothing." So, I will probably be here until the lights go out, but I'll just move on when they do. If I do decide I'm done with the game, I will not be making a thread to announce it. By that point, I will have divested myself emotionally. If that hurts anyone's feelings or irritates anyone, I'm sorry; it's not personal.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Your first "I'm leaving" thread is decidedly better than you final "I'm leaving" thread..

Too often tho once you've broken the game habit the two are functionally the same.
  • fookilafookila Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    *sigh* It's sad to see you had to go.

Always, Godspeed.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    klitty wrote: »

depressed_Kitty.jpg

That kitteh is sad because it has no arms and legs.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    That kitteh is sad because it has no arms and legs.

Now this thread is even sadder. Thank you Nepht. Thank you >:(

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am thrilled that someone has had the clarity to go do something they enjoy rather than keep punishing themselves out of sharp-edged hope.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • cgta1967cgta1967 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Now this thread is even sadder. Thank you Nepht. Thank you >:(

the constant achy kitty paw phantom pains makes it even sadder than you thought .....
    Is that one of those pics that, if you click it and "like" 1 million times the kitty will get new legs and arms? or.. front legs for cats.

This message brought to you by the superhero:
    Bacon Overlord

All available action figures, check.
    Hit the global cap, check.
    All lore and event perks done, check.
    All 1K mob perks done, check.
    All nemesis mob perks done, check.
    Break 20,000 perk points, check.
    Complete all 5K perk points, stay tuned!

Come see me on steam (be friends, drink fine wines, clink glasses and KILL STUFF ONLINE!)
  • blatantmynxblatantmynx Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ironically_that's_the_most_profound_thing_he's_ever_said...

Impossible is nothing.
  • heavynosferatuheavynosferatu Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited August 2013

depressed_Kitty.jpg

Hovercat needs fuel badly.
    Devil and the deep blue sea behind me
    Vanish in the air you'll never find me