Cryptic Should Make a New Super Hero Game

13

Comments

  • kojirohellfire
    kojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    blumoon8 wrote: »
    I don't remember honestly but CO has always been good about pointing out where to go next. When I played CoH a few months after its transition I felt like I was left in a void. To feel like your left in a void at level 8... well.. yeah. :l I never saw that button. No idea when it was put in.

    It was put in with CoH's f2p transition. It's hard to believe you didn't see it considering it was one of the first things you'd see after opening the Contact tab.
  • nepht
    nepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Oh look, a circular argument!

    circular-reasoning1.jpg

    I wouldn't knock it circles can be deadly.

    Mysteron_eyes.jpg

    But while your talking about circles the moment I seen this threads name I knew it was a matter of time before some bitter person banged on about how much they loved CoX again.
    And again proving my point when it comes to Super hero games Cryptic rules. I does matter what one we like better Cryptic make the best ones.

    But please continue with the direct name calling it makes a hell of a lot easier for me ^__^
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • cgta1967
    cgta1967 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "doody-head" is an effective one for psyche crits .....


    you're welcome for the tip.
    _______________________
    ---- FIRE EVERYTHING ! ----
  • kojirohellfire
    kojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    And again proving my point when it comes to Super hero games Cryptic rules.

    Oh, honey, I don't think the elevator goes to the floor your mind is on.
  • nepht
    nepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Oh, honey, I don't think the elevator goes to the floor your mind is on.

    Wouldnt be to sure. I think I found one.

    Your missing my point. Cryptic have made two good super games if they where to make a 3rd I and many other would play it of course many others wouldnt that was the point of the OP's post .

    Its not what one is better and I think you should have looked at one of my earlier posts in this thread.
    nepht wrote: »
    Yup I will say Champs isnt as good as CoX, Champs is better looking its more fun for the casual player but its a very close second.

    I will agree with anger pac man its 70% Ncsoft faults CoX shut but some of the blame lies with Paragon with some of the wtf u do that moments they had.

    Cryptic has never failed and thats why I would play ANY new game they made.

    Cryptic made both games deal with it. To be blunt Cryptic hasnt made a bad game yet and I am grateful for all the hard work they have done ^_^

    Also only you can argue with somebody that agreed with you BEFORE you posted your argument. My main argument was not what game is better but that some CoX fans is they never shut up about the damn game :D

    And you CONTINUE to prove this point over and over again with every insult and every NO U post , I must thank you for this :P

    It was a good game but its dead its an ex game let it go move on .
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • blumoon8
    blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It was put in with CoH's f2p transition. It's hard to believe you didn't see it considering it was one of the first things you'd see after opening the Contact tab.

    Really? ._. Wow, I must be a dunce. I just followed where the missions told me to go. xD I remember looking at my evidence and being impressed but... I can't remember that damn button. Maybe I never opened my contact window? *shrug* It's been so long now that I honestly can't say and actually hurts my heart a bit to try and remember. :/ I think I was just disoriented with how new everything was and was used to the old way things were done. I checked a few different things, roamed around King Row's where I was directed to go after Atlas but I didn't find any missions. I probably didn't play long enough to adjust and figure everything out. I wonder how much a new player's experience was similar.

    That doesn't mean it wasn't a great game. It was fantastic. However, some things did ugh me.. like the gutting of origin missions. Though now I'm doubting what I remembered. xD

    I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

    I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • kojirohellfire
    kojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Your missing my point.

    "You're."
    Cryptic have made two good super games

    "Make" is one thing. Actual support is a completely different ballpark, one that Cryptic loses in.
    Its not what one is better

    Studio or game? Because you were clearly hating on Paragon when Paragon was clearly a superior studio to Cryptic.
    Cryptic made both games deal with it.

    Not my issue.
    [...]Cryptic [...] hard work

    conan-rofl.gif
    Also only you can argue with somebody that agreed with you BEFORE you posted your argument. My main argument was not what game is better

    That wasn't my argument either.
    but that some CoX fans is they never shut up about the damn game :D

    No, your argument was pure Paragon-bashing. You blamed it for CoH's shutdown, which is just unfounded on every level.
    And you CONTINUE to prove this point over and over again with every insult and every NO U post , I must thank you for this :P

    You never had a point, GG.
    blumoon8 wrote: »
    Really?

    Yes. Really.
  • nepht
    nepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "You're."

    First time you have been right all day. Good for you , you get a gold star ^__^

    4097_well-done-mini-star-trophy.jpg

    See I can admit when I have made a mistake :D

    and saying English is my third tongue the little ' I miss dont really matter :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • kojirohellfire
    kojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    First time you have been right all day.

    That's more than you've been.
  • nepht
    nepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's more than you've been.

    That one you only get a C- poor effort I'm afraid.

    Will admit CO has some issues if your my endgame. I love you :D
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • angelphoenix12
    angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    That one you only get a C- poor effort I'm afraid.

    Will admit CO has some issues if your my endgame. I love you :D

    some, some, some? are we playing the same game? try a lot of issues, such as lack of any kind of true commitment from pwe/cryptic, launch bugs that are still in game, lack of vision from the dev team or the higher ups to make champions online better.
    what new content does this game get temp story arcs, lock boxes. what does sto get actual content updates. they got the foundry.
    what does this game get "we'll look into" "we would love to have it in champions online." these types of lines bare very little truth. if they really wanted this game to have the foundry we would have had it by now. it would never have been used as a carrot.
    some, yea keep thinking that this game has some issues.
  • nepht
    nepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    some, some, some? are we playing the same game? try a lot of issues, such as lack of any kind of true commitment from pwe/cryptic, launch bugs that are still in game, lack of vision from the dev team or the higher ups to make champions online better.
    what new content does this game get temp story arcs, lock boxes. what does sto get actual content updates. they got the foundry.
    what does this game get "we'll look into" "we would love to have it in champions online." these types of lines bare very little truth. if they really wanted this game to have the foundry we would have had it by now. it would never have been used as a carrot.
    some, yea keep thinking that this game has some issues.

    First you talk of lack of vision. Not Cryptics fault you married Scot Summers. Also your talk of Champs being full of issues. Pure lies all of it :O

    screenshot_2012-08-15-15-28-10_zps3a9507bf.jpg

    screenshot_2012-03-25-05-51-30_zpsa1ea64c9.jpg

    screenshot_2011-08-24-16-57-38_zps34ccec8b.jpg

    Nothing to see here move along /o/


    CO has all the best issues :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • angelphoenix12
    angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    First you talk of lack of vision. Not Cryptics fault you married Scot Summers. Also your talk of Champs being full of issues. Pure lies all of it :O

    screenshot_2012-08-15-15-28-10_zps3a9507bf.jpg

    screenshot_2012-03-25-05-51-30_zpsa1ea64c9.jpg

    screenshot_2011-08-24-16-57-38_zps34ccec8b.jpg

    Nothing to see here move along /o/


    CO has all the best issues :P

    right and where is your proof of my lies? oh I know there is no lies.
    heres the thing its very simple, I can see both sides of the same coin. also champions is full of issues
    and btw I don't care for the personal attack.
    I once was just like you champions can do no wrong. but I woke up. try and look at what this game truily is like. not what you want it to be
  • nepht
    nepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    right and where is your proof of my lies? oh I know there is no lies.
    heres the thing its very simple, I can see both sides of the same coin. also champions is full of issues
    and btw I don't care for the personal attack.
    I once was just like you champions can do no wrong. but I woke up. try and look at what this game truily is like. not what you want it to be


    LOL just LOL I just agreed with you and posted pics of some of the bugs and issues that were meant to fixed years ago and weren't ^__^.

    Unless you are actually Jean Grey there was no personal attack. If you are Jean Grey I must inform you your husband has killed your boss and is cheating on you with Emma Frost.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • ashensnow
    ashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    "You're.".

    Are you sure that correcting another's use of the English language, particularly when that other is not a native speaker, adds to your position ?

    Studio or game? Because you were clearly hating on Paragon when Paragon was clearly a superior studio to Cryptic.

    You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

    No, your argument was pure Paragon-bashing. You blamed it for CoH's shutdown, which is just unfounded on every level.

    You may not agree with the foundation of the argument, but it is there. What studio was operating COH when it failed to produce sufficient revenue to secure ongoing support from its publisher ?

    'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • kojirohellfire
    kojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Are you sure that correcting another's use of the English language, particularly when that other is not a native speaker, adds to your position ?

    I have my pet peeves, you have yours.
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

    So you're implying it's better to ignore customer feedback and let your game stagnate?
    You may not agree with the foundation of the argument, but it is there. What studio was operating COH when it failed to produce sufficient revenue to secure ongoing support from its publisher ?

    NCSoft cited its reason as "realigning company focus." Lack of revenue was never mentioned. In fact it was stated by Paragon staff members that the game was making a profit.

    So, yeah, the argument is unfounded.
  • ashensnow
    ashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have my pet peeves, you have yours.

    I asked because you make sentence structure, grammar, and/or punctuation errors in a fairly significant percentage of your posts. Is English your first language ?

    So you're implying it's better to ignore customer feedback and let your game stagnate?

    I never said, or implied, anything of the sort.


    NCSoft cited its reason as "realigning company focus." Lack of revenue was never mentioned. In fact it was stated by Paragon staff members that the game was making a profit.

    So, yeah, the argument is unfounded.

    The cited reason does not contradict anything in my statement. It also fails to support your claim. Please note that I made no claim that COH was not profitable, merely that it was not producing sufficient revenue to convince its publisher that it was worth continuing to support.

    'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • lafury001200
    lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Not surprising. She's basically CO's very own version of Golden Girl with all the character traits that make her that much of a piece of ****.

    Nope, hold on right there.

    I loathed GG with a passion. Goldengoon was absolutely insufferable. A month before CO launched I made some suggestions on the COH forums regarding measures we as a playerbase could take to slow attrition if it began to occur. At the time I was under the impression "it who should not be named" had been banned, so the response was unexpected. At any rate the response was (paraphrasing) " No need to worry about it CO is gonna be crap, and if you think CoX is in trouble, you are a moron (complete with smilies)." .

    Nepht is not like GG.

    Nepht admits flaws, and understands that people are frustrated (I talk too her once in a blue moon), but is of the belief that we should not complain because it's after all just a game. Nothing to get overlyworked up about, I just don't share her opinion on the matter. Doesn't mean we can't be friends.

    That being said Nepht, I have a life, and I didn't like your portrayal of diehard fans. I forgive you because you smell so bad I pity you.

    I think what's being lost here is this:

    Cryptic does a great job at starting things. Following up sans strong (see NOT ATARI) third party involvement, not so much.
  • gamehobo
    gamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nepht is just taking great lengths to take the thread off topic so it can be shut down. Not the first nor last time you'll see said tactic to silence intelligent discourse.


    The CoX argument is mute because it no longer exists.


    The fact that we're having such a passion for ANY other game means nothing but bad things for this game. If there were a functioning custom superhero game created by most ANY studio I think it would do very well. I do not think a custom superhero game by Cryptic has much of a chance of success because as it has been pointed out, they have attempted this twice to underwhelming reception.
  • clcmercy
    clcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    The fact that we're having such a passion for ANY other game means nothing but bad things for this game. If there were a functioning custom superhero game created by most ANY studio I think it would do very well. I do not think a custom superhero game by Cryptic has much of a chance of success because as it has been pointed out, they have attempted this twice to underwhelming reception.

    I would further add to this statement that this company's other two games have a built in fanbase, therefore they are going to be successful. Moreso than a generic superhero title like Champions.

    People know DC and they know Marvel. Not many know Champions. Hell, when I was playing the tabletop version I'd try to make Marvel and DC characters all the time. O.M.A.C. turned out pretty badarsed. (Not the robot version, the Buddy Blank version)

    I feel that another game company has a better shot with the Champions product than this one does. Hell, NEPHT could make a better game. (shameless Caliga Kong plug)
    I'd like to see the pencil and paper rules followed a lot more closely, though. Stay away from this style of art, too. Keep the costume customization, though. Basically cherrypick the best features of a bunch of MMO's(Including dead ones. :P )

    Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • smoochan
    smoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    [...]
    The CoX argument is mute because it no longer exists.


    [...].

    You meant "moot" not mute. Sry, pet peeve of mine.
    clcmercy wrote: »
    [...]
    I feel that another game company has a better shot with the Champions product than this one does. Hell, NEPHT could make a better game. (shameless Caliga Kong plug)
    I'd like to see the pencil and paper rules followed a lot more closely, though. Stay away from this style of art, too. Keep the costume customization, though. Basically cherrypick the best features of a bunch of MMO's(Including dead ones. :P )

    Which game company? NCSoft?

    Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • nepht
    nepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nope, hold on right there.

    I loathed GG with a passion. Goldengoon was absolutely insufferable. A month before CO launched I made some suggestions on the COH forums regarding measures we as a playerbase could take to slow attrition if it began to occur. At the time I was under the impression "it who should not be named" had been banned, so the response was unexpected. At any rate the response was (paraphrasing) " No need to worry about it CO is gonna be crap, and if you think CoX is in trouble, you are a moron (complete with smilies)." .

    Nepht is not like GG.

    Nepht admits flaws, and understands that people are frustrated (I talk too her once in a blue moon), but is of the belief that we should not complain because it's after all just a game. Nothing to get overlyworked up about, I just don't share her opinion on the matter. Doesn't mean we can't be friends.

    That being said Nepht, I have a life, and I didn't like your portrayal of diehard fans. I forgive you because you smell so bad I pity you.

    I think what's being lost here is this:

    Cryptic does a great job at starting things. Following up sans strong (see NOT ATARI) third party involvement, not so much.

    I love you Fury you have an ability to compliment and insult in equal measure . Its a life skill you just have to admire :D
    smoochan wrote: »


    You meant "moot" not mute. Sry, pet peeve of mine.

    LOL


    But Fury hits the nail right on the head ( his normal sneaky insults aside :D ) I do think its all a game so who cares. I used to be super diehard fan so I feel I can mock them. A good few forumites can remember my old anti GW2 sig.

    notogw2.jpg

    I ranted on about the evils of NCsoft so hard and long on the Champs Powerboards I lost friends.
    Before all the other annoying CoX vets came I was the original annoying CoX vet :P
    But when I went to sign a save COH petition I seen other petitions , petitions about people starving, Petitions about poor treatment of refugees and so on and so on. I thought to myself why the hell I'm I freaking out about a dumb Super Hero game when people are dying ..

    That made me stop giving two BEEPS about City and if some people dont like that tough. I know on this issue I am right, it is just a game.

    And if Cryptic made another Super mmo I would play it and when it closed would I care. No, No I wouldnt .
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • zahinder
    zahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If NCSoft made a new supers game I'd try it.

    Whatever. No companies are perfect.


    (Ok, I'd think long and hard about playing an EA mmo, but they are really inspired in their jerking customers around, vs. 'made one business decision I think was kind of stupid and not well-handled')
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

    Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

    Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

    Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • nepht
    nepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    If NCSoft made a new supers game I'd try it.

    Whatever. No companies are perfect.


    (Ok, I'd think long and hard about playing an EA mmo, but they are really inspired in their jerking customers around, vs. 'made one business decision I think was kind of stupid and not well-handled')

    I wouldnt. No matter what I think of the job they done after Cryptic the way NCsoft fired the Paragon guys via an email and left no time for them to find work was a seriously nasty move.
    The way NCsoft just flung away peoples lively hoods as if it didnt matter still fills me with so much rage.
    Shutting a game is one thing. Treating people like crap is another. These guys and gals have homes and families to look after .
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • zahinder
    zahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    But it's just a game and who cares, I thought?
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

    Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

    Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

    Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • cybersoldier1981
    cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    On another forum I was blasted and repeatedly insulted because I play other NCSoft games. I thought long and hard about the whole 'Boycott NCSoft' things, and then I came to a few realizations:

    -Boycotting the company isn't going to work

    -CoX isn't coming back

    -Too many CoXers came to CO whining about how awful this game is and how much better theirs was

    -CoX players on other forums are outright hostile about trying any other game

    -There is no reason in the world whatsoever to not play games and buy things I like because they shut down another game.

    -Saying the latter got me basically called everything but a child of God, so if that's how CoX players act then good riddance.
  • nepht
    nepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    But it's just a game and who cares, I thought?

    The game yes who cares , but the people thats different, NCsoft could have gave them a months notice or offered them jobs on other games. Paragon must have had some really crappy contracts if they could get fired like that :<

    Saying that Perfect World stepped up and offered some of these guys jobs.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • zahinder
    zahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    'but a child of God' ... genuine huh?
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

    Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

    Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

    Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • nepht
    nepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    On another forum I was blasted and repeatedly insulted because I play other NCSoft games. I thought long and hard about the whole 'Boycott NCSoft' things, and then I came to a few realizations:

    -Boycotting the company isn't going to work

    -CoX isn't coming back

    -Too many CoXers came to CO whining about how awful this game is and how much better theirs was

    -CoX players on other forums are outright hostile about trying any other game

    -There is no reason in the world whatsoever to not play games and buy things I like because they shut down another game.

    -Saying the latter got me basically called everything but a child of God, so if that's how CoX players act then good riddance.

    I was a complete tool like that towards O-Farmer and Deja cause they love Guild Wars 2 on the NPW forums. I was really nasty .

    I feel like a right git now, they have my apologizes :I

    Arena Net had nothing to do with what happened.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • gingervitos
    gingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Your all missing the one fact that makes City better than Champs. City has a lot more high quality erotic fan fiction. This cannot be disputed a simple google proves this.

    Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • jennymachx
    jennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Your all missing the one fact that makes City better than Champs. City has a lot more high quality erotic fan fiction. This cannot be disputed a simple google proves this.

    /thread

    /10chars
  • bwdares
    bwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    IMO, CoX was much more polished than CO. 4 years in, CoX was in a better state too. CoX IMO had a waaaay more impressive world to run around in as well.

    CO, IMO has a better character creater and comabt system (even with all of its faults and bugs.) I have always said the perfect game for be CO in the CoX landscape.

    I just loved the big maps that had so many places to explore.

    I played CoX for its first 3 1/2 years, then my comp could play it anymore, I got a new one and Champs was in Beta. I played CO since and went back to CoX when I won a game card. I just couldn't get back into it after playing here.

    But Cryptic in my eyes cannot manage a game. CoX was much better after Cryptic left. If Paragon ran this game it would be in a much better place-again, IMO.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • holloweaver
    holloweaver Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Oh right, that would have been awesome.
    CO game mechanics in CoX world settings. *daydreams....*

    But if I read it right, the original dev team left Champs and there's now a new team managing and updating the game : Cryptic North.
  • trailturtle
    trailturtle Administrator Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited August 2013
    Looks like this thread has recovered, but keep away from the flames, alright? If the last few posts hadn't been on-topic and civil, I'd have closed the thread.
  • sigmaseven0
    sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If Cryptic did another hero MMO it would have to be CO2. IF they drop the CO or its IP they will alienate players like NC soft did with COX, and thus never be able to make a hero MMO again. Cryptic has damaged its brand equity with CO and cant afford to **** on it any more. This "damaged brand" issue is the reason square enix had to do FF a realm reborn.

    I don't think that I'm the only board with the status quo of MMOs
    Honestly I'm ready for that "next gen" MMO to change things up a bit and i don't think its worth making another super hero MMO if its not going to be "next gen" in the same way that EQ Next claims to be, or at least push the envelope of what we expect from MMOs in some way (foundry is a good start but not enough).

    If cryptic made some revisions to the Cryptic engine to get it ready to compete with the new developments in whats possible with MMOs over the next ~10 years (doubtful on their budget) then yea sounds like a good chance to do CO2 and remind the public that they are the pioneers of hero MMOs.

    Cryptic engine 3.0?

    Otherwise, i would prefer to see the next hero MMO on a more forward looking engine like Forgelight Engine or Unreal 4.

    PVP is starving without rewards

    1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • clcmercy
    clcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    smoochan wrote: »


    Which game company? NCSoft?


    Ohellno. I was thinking maybe....Rockstar or some other company.

    Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • crypticarmsman
    crypticarmsman Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Jack Emmert was FIRED. Let go. He's the one that was never picked for teams. The rest of Paragon Studios formed after his departure and took the abandoned game to greater levels than this one will /ever/ achieve.

    Um, jack bought out Cryptic from NCSoft, and took the Devs that he wanted with him. If anyone was 'fired' it was Positron' (when he was removed and replaced by Melissa Blanco as CoX EP back in the day.) He was IN CHARGE of making Going Rogue - and if you recall, not only was it released MONTHS behind schedule (which I'm sure did not make NCSoft happy); it also released with an incomplete feature (The 'Incarnate System' that Positron was so highly touting) that had to be finished post GR release.

    BTW - you do know that Positron is again working at Cryptic (not in an EP capacity - and from what I read not his first choice, but I have a feeling his resume didn't get other MMO developers clamoring for his services. he's a story developer on STO and is responsible for the storyline on the new KDF faction level 1 - 20 content.)

    As for Paragon's 'increased communication' - hell, I could care less what War Witch was having for lunch on Fridays. While they don't communicate much on CO (which is disappointing); on the other Cryptic MMOs that aren't in near maintenance mode (and I truly do hope the fact we're seeing what is in effect, another 'comic series'; so maybe CO will start seeing some actual new permanent mission content on a regular basis, but it'll take more than two missions to convince me of that) the STO and NW Devs are more communicative then their Paragon counterparts were back in the last year of CoH.

    And back in the day, Positron too, was BIG on promises, but often short (or very late) on delivery; but once NCSoft announced the CoX sunset date - the Paragon Dev team was put on a VERY inflated pedestal (as was CoX itself) - and suddenly BOTH were 'shining examples' of the best in the superhero MMO genre (IE every supporter suddenly donned super powered Rose-Colored glasses and CoH and Paragon were suddenly god's gift to the MMO industry.)

    as someone who played CoX from December 2003 up until just before GR; CoX was an okay, but aging game; and the paragon Dev Team was running out of steam trying to keep the original COX engine current. Ultra Mode (which they spent A LOT of time and resources on) was in the end, disappointing; and the MA (which I also close betaed and we testers ALL saw the abuses that would be coming; and if anything it shows how little actual MMO community experience Positron had - as his response was "I trust that the CoX community won't take advantage of these exploits..." -- which was why Paragon's response (of banning and rolling back MA PLed characters and Positrons LONG 'I'm disappointed in you guys' post was the way it was (this was all back in 2009.)
    ^^^
    of course all this appears forgotten by those who now felt Paragon was THE dev team, etc. (And also how they effectively abandoned the MA afterwards.)

    I liked a lot of what CoX offered, BUT I hated the fact that most missions used the same 20 or so map layouts over and over (and hell, that in the MA, they even started restricting/removing some map choices as those maps were considered 'special'.)

    In it's 8 years CoX did some things well, some things poorly; and was in effect, your typical MMO. I DO think at it's core CO took a lot from CoX and did improve on a lot of aspects of CoX. I do think with some real support they could make this game much better then what it is; but at this point (for whatever reason, they don't anticipate a good ROI; so it is what it is.

    (And in the end, it's probably the same situation - that NCSoft didn't foresee a better ROI on CoX down the road given their corporate business plan; thus they sunsetted it. I think had CoX done well in Asia - we'd still have the U.S. version up and running; but once it folded NCSoft was left with what was (for them) a weird situation - a foreign MMO developer that they owned that developed one MMO for only one market area; and management of that situation was taking more time/resources for too little profit in the long run.)

    But, in the end, Paragon was just another MMO Dev group, and was not really much better (or worse) then anyone else in the industry. If you look at what they did objectively and in total, they had all the same issues (and faults) any contemporary indie Dev studio had.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    Armsman-KConniesig-Original0454.jpg
    PWE Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • smoochan
    smoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Your all missing the one fact that makes City better than Champs. City has a lot more high quality erotic fan fiction. This cannot be disputed a simple google proves this.

    Well. It was Cox after all.

    Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • xen0bia
    xen0bia Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    IMO, CoX was much more polished than CO. $ years in, CoX was in a better state too. CoX IMO had a waaaay more impressive world to run around in as well.

    CO, IMO has a better character creater and comabt system (even with all of its faults and bugs.) I have always said the perfect game for be CO in the CoX landscape.

    That's also how I see it. In the end, the character creator aspect of CO won me over because admittedly that's probably the only reason I'm playing this particular type of game. But CoX definitely was the more polished game of the 2, and not to mention, it had an actual team supporting the game.
  • nextnametaken
    nextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    People always comparing something that is seven years old and a year dead to something that's four years old and almost dead because people pumped their efforts into the other dead thing for years instead of the living one.


    Stop killing the baby.
  • kojirohellfire
    kojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    I asked because you make sentence structure, grammar, and/or punctuation errors in a fairly significant percentage of your posts. Is English your first language ?

    This from the fellow that paces a space between the last word of an inquiry and a question mark?

    Ash, grammar mistakes appear very rarely in my posts, and when they do, it's often because I type fast. I always make sure my grammar and punctuation are as perfect as can be. Your claim of a "fairly significant" portion of my posts bearing grammatical errors is false.

    Furthermore, I've always been contemplating on my writing by others and I'd consistently get high grades in English classes, so you're frankly full of it.

    And yes, English is my first language.
    I never said, or implied, anything of the sort.

    Then what were you trying to get at with the "opinion" remark? Paragon was consistently open to taking customer feedback and regularly communicated with the community. Cryptic? I haven't seen one peep from someone that isn't Trailturtle.
    The cited reason does not contradict anything in my statement. It also fails to support your claim. Please note that I made no claim that COH was not profitable, merely that it was not producing sufficient revenue to convince its publisher that it was worth continuing to support.

    Profit is profit. Cancelling a game that's still in the black is just stupid.
    Nope, hold on right there.

    I loathed GG with a passion. Goldengoon was absolutely insufferable. A month before CO launched I made some suggestions on the COH forums regarding measures we as a playerbase could take to slow attrition if it began to occur. At the time I was under the impression "it who should not be named" had been banned, so the response was unexpected. At any rate the response was (paraphrasing) " No need to worry about it CO is gonna be crap, and if you think CoX is in trouble, you are a moron (complete with smilies)." .

    Nepht is not like GG.

    Nepht admits flaws, and understands that people are frustrated (I talk too her once in a blue moon), but is of the belief that we should not complain because it's after all just a game. Nothing to get overlyworked up about, I just don't share her opinion on the matter. Doesn't mean we can't be friends.

    Sorry, I don't see the difference. Golden Girl admitted faults too; she had a thing about long skirts and animated hair. If you wanted to piss her off, it was an easy enough tactic to ask her how "animated hair was going" since she claimed so much insight into Paragon's projects for CoH.
    Um, jack bought out Cryptic from NCSoft, and took the Devs that he wanted with him. If anyone was 'fired' it was Positron' (when he was removed and replaced by Melissa Blanco as CoX EP back in the day.) He was IN CHARGE of making Going Rogue - and if you recall, not only was it released MONTHS behind schedule (which I'm sure did not make NCSoft happy); it also released with an incomplete feature (The 'Incarnate System' that Positron was so highly touting) that had to be finished post GR release.

    Actually, the Incarnate system as promised (the Alpha slot) was finished. The reason for its delay was the fact that in beta, people were demanding actual mission content to go with it. The Alpha slot was otherwise fully completed.

    Or do you mean all ten slots? I don't recall them ever promising us all ten slots at once. In fact, Paragon considered the immediate release of the next four slots to be a mistake as they felt they made characters too powerful too quickly and decided subsequent Incarnate slots would be released on a more gradual basis.
    As for Paragon's 'increased communication' - hell, I could care less what War Witch was having for lunch on Fridays. While they don't communicate much on CO (which is disappointing); on the other Cryptic MMOs that aren't in near maintenance mode (and I truly do hope the fact we're seeing what is in effect, another 'comic series'; so maybe CO will start seeing some actual new permanent mission content on a regular basis, but it'll take more than two missions to convince me of that) the STO and NW Devs are more communicative then their Paragon counterparts were back in the last year of CoH.

    Funny, because I keep hearing recurring complaints that the Cryptic devs have grown silent on both of those games and that they're on the path to becoming CO. Are you sure you're talking about the same STO and NWO we know of?
    And back in the day, Positron too, was BIG on promises, but often short (or very late) on delivery; but once NCSoft announced the CoX sunset date - the Paragon Dev team was put on a VERY inflated pedestal (as was CoX itself) - and suddenly BOTH were 'shining examples' of the best in the superhero MMO genre (IE every supporter suddenly donned super powered Rose-Colored glasses and CoH and Paragon were suddenly god's gift to the MMO industry.)

    They were compared to Cryptic at the very least.
  • jennymachx
    jennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah Paragon Studios are 100% infallible...

    Like how they screwed up Issue 14 aka Mission Architect upon release with:

    1) Their head developer making ban threats towards players for doing nothing wrong other than playing the game as it was presented to them, with the system being built by none other than Paragon Studios.

    2) Eventually issuing temp bans for such players.

    3) Deleting player's toons that were levelled using Mission Architect just for using the system that was presented to them.

    4) With how they absolutey ignored credible feedback during playtest about a potential meltdown that did eventually happen.

    5) Removing achievement badges gained from Mission Architect all because of their screw up.

    6) Contributing to destroy a once overall-friendly community, creating a toxic cesspool of constant arguments about Mission Architect in the forums and AP broadcast.

    All of that certainly did wonders in trying to reintroduce an already aging MMO into the market to a fresh wave of new players. No wait, it didn't. Going Rogue was their next gamble. It didn't pay off either.

    Overall, I think that Paragon Studios was still a better developer than Cryptic, but seriously stop trying to paint them as saints.
  • nepht
    nepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    cat-rose-colored-glasses.png

    You know what guys thinking back about it Tab Cola was awesome.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • kojirohellfire
    kojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Yeah Paragon Studios are 100% infallible...

    I don't think that was said anywhere.
  • jennymachx
    jennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't think that was said anywhere.

    It was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek opening to an (very significant) example of how Paragon Studios wasn't the "paragon" of MMO development as people love to claim. They were equally guilty of stupid, self-crippling decisions that pissed off (and away) their playerbase, especially when it was during a time when the P2P subscription model was still being used with no F2P option and also when Champions Online, the new direct competitor was very close to going live.
  • kojirohellfire
    kojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    It was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek opening to an (very significant) example of how Paragon Studios wasn't the "paragon" of MMO development as people love to claim. They were equally guilty of stupid, self-crippling decisions that pissed off (and away) their playerbase, especially when it was during a time when the P2P subscription model was still being used with no F2P option and also when Champions Online, the new direct competitor was very close to going live.

    Everyone makes mistakes, obviously, and I'm not claiming that they were the "best ever." I'm just saying they were loads better than Cryptic. Do note that I've made no other comparison with any other studio.
  • jennymachx
    jennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Everyone makes mistakes, obviously, and I'm not claiming that they were the "best ever." I'm just saying they were loads better than Cryptic. Do note that I've made no other comparison with any other studio.

    To Paragon Studio's credit, they were great with communication and had quality live GM support. I still remember making a GM request during a time when it would be wee hours in the morning where the company would be located, but within half an hour I got a living, breathing GM to talk to me to handle my issue, instead of an automated canned-response I could read with a robot's monotonous voice to amuse myself.

    As far as the product that each company has (or had in Paragon's case) however, I think that CO's overall design and implementation satisfies me miles more than CoX's with what I want from a superhero-themed MMO, despite of how Cryptic is handling it. Since Cryptic was the studio that game up with the design and implementation, in that aspect alone Cryptic did better than Paragon in my opinion.
  • itsbrou#5396
    itsbrou#5396 Posts: 1,765 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You're absolutely right.

    They should make a new MMO.

    And it should still be nothing like CoH.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • kojirohellfire
    kojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    To Paragon Studio's credit, they were great with communication and had quality live GM support. I still remember making a GM request during a time when it would be wee hours in the morning where the company would be located, but within half an hour I got a living, breathing GM to talk to me to handle my issue, instead of an automated canned-response I could read with a robot's monotonous voice to amuse myself.

    As far as the product that each company has (or had in Paragon's case) however, I think that CO's overall design and implementation satisfies me miles more than CoX's with what I want from a superhero-themed MMO, despite of how Cryptic is handling it. Since Cryptic was the studio that game up with the design and implementation, in that aspect alone Cryptic did better than Paragon in my opinion.

    I've already stated that I'm not arguing about which game is "better." I don't care which game you think is better. Both have had their pros and cons. Thing is, no matter how good your game design is, if your communication and management skills are like Cryptic's, then I don't think you deserve a gold star. You deserve the dunce hat instead.
  • jennymachx
    jennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've already stated that I'm not arguing about which game is "better." I don't care which game you think is better. Both have had their pros and cons. Thing is, no matter how good your game design is, if your communication and management skills are like Cryptic's, then I don't think you deserve a gold star. You deserve the dunce hat instead.

    Yeah okay, Cryptic are a bunch of dunces. No redeeming qualities whatsoever. Got it.

    Constructive criticism at its finest.
This discussion has been closed.