test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ranged Night Avenger- gear, mod and spec tree help?

glop#4587 glop Posts: 59 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Power Discussion
Hi everyone. I've been working on finalizing my Night Avenger build and I was looking for some suggestions and input. I tap Ricochet Throw as my primary single target DPS, opening up with Shadow Strike when I can and dropping Strafing Run when it's off cooldown. For AOE, I like to open with a stealthed, fully charged RT and then drop SR if necessary. I seldom use many of my other skills, but will use Smoke Bomb for Nailed to the Ground in duels and occasionally drop Gas Pellets. My survivability comes from a mix between Dodge, Rush of Battle, Retribution and Mars Shields.

I'm trying to put a build together that mainly maximizes DPS and Dodge/Avoidance, but I have pretty limited resources. This is my first and only character, I don't have the best Legion gear but what I've picked up has been in trades for keys to circumvent the F2P Gold cap. Because of this limitation, the only viable mod ranks seem to be rank 6's.

Right now, my gear is as follows-

Legions Breastplate of Freedom
(seeking mod suggestions)

Vigilante's Bolstering Bracers

Legion's Gloves of Offense
Dexterity Enhancement 6
Ego Enhancement 6
Severity Core 5
Severity Core 5

Vigilante's Critical Belt

Legion's Helmet of Energy
Dexterity Enhancement 6
(seeking more mod suggestions)

Reputable Eyepiece
(in the process of saving Questionite for Vigilante's Hastened Eyepiece)

This is what my build looks like right now. Again, I'd appreciate any suggestions/input/revisions/etc.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: The Night Avenger

Super Stats:
Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
Level 15: Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Night Avenger
Level 7: Agile
Level 12: Ascetic
Level 15: Brilliant
Level 20: Indomitable
Level 25: Healthy Mind
Level 30: Academics

Powers:
Level 1: Hawk's Talons
Level 1: Viper's Fangs
Level 6: Smoke Bomb Lunge (Nailed to the Ground)
Level 8: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Ricochet Throw (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Concentration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 17: Throwing Blades (Rank 2)
Level 21: Parry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 25: Grapple Gun Pull
Level 30: Tiger's Bite (Rank 2, Mouth of Madness)
Level 35: Gas Pellets (Rank 2, Oversized Pellet Bag)
Level 40: Strafing Run (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Teleportation (Rank 2)
Level 35: Acrobatics (Rank 2, Versatility)

Specializations:
Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
Dexterity: Brush It Off (2/2)
Dexterity: Evasion (2/2)
Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Retribution (2/2)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)
Post edited by glop#4587 on

Comments

• keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You should start out with Heroic gear first, imho. Personally, I always go for a 'balance'.

Heroic Gloves of Crit Strike
    R5 Dex
    R5 Ego
    Critstrike gem

Heroic Breastplate of Avoidance
    R5 Dex
    R5 Str
    Dodge gem

Heroic Helmet of Utility
    R5 Ego
    R5 Str
    Cost redux OR cooldown redux, depending on which one you want more.

Three pure Rec purple secondaries since this AT's energy management isn't all that great.

From there, you can decide to jump onto Vigilante and Legion gear. At that point, you won't need to fill in your primary stat as much and can instead focus on adding other stats to the build. I admittedly don't have much experience with Legion and Vigilante gear, but really, all you need are Heroics and purple secondaries and you're golden. If you really want to use Legion gear (the big three are the crit chance, the avoidance one and the cost/cooldown redux one, btw) you can, but be warned that Legion Gear gives up the Offense stat to get its spot. This is generally not a bad thing considering Offense is worthless when it comes to crits, but you'll have to re-evaluate your spec trees, specifically the ones that focus on Offense.

The dodge-avoid spec trees, on the other hand, are tiny. They aren't worth it compared to dodge-avoid gear.

Here's what I got for ya.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: The Night Avenger

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Strength (Secondary)
    Level 15: Ego (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Night Avenger
    Level 7: Agile
    Level 12: Ascetic
    Level 15: Brilliant
    Level 20: Indomitable
    Level 25: Healthy Mind
    Level 30: Academics

Powers:
    Level 1: Hawk's Talons
    Level 1: Viper's Fangs (Rank 2)
    Level 6: Smoke Bomb Lunge (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 8: Night Warrior (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Ricochet Throw (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Concentration
    Level 17: Throwing Blades (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 21: Parry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 25: Grapple Gun Pull
    Level 30: Dragon's Claws (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Gas Pellets (Rank 2, Oversized Pellet Bag)
    Level 40: Strafing Run (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Teleportation (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Acrobatics (Rank 2, Versatility)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (2/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (3/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Locus (2/2)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: The Rush of Battle (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Any alterations to your build are just personal preference, btw, so you should be fine.
  • glop#4587 glop Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hey thanks, I actually already have Heroic gear equipped and I already purchased all the Legion gear I have listed- I just need to get that gear slotted. I already have 2/3 of the Vigilante pieces too. I agree that the Legion gear you listed is the best, but it's way out of my price range at the moment so I just opted for the cheaper Legion pieces I listed since I could afford them and the extra 3 slots overall seemed like an improvement over Heroic gear. That's again why I have Dodge/Avoid in my spec tree right now, the Avoidance breastplate is definitely out of my price range. Thanks for the input and sorry about the confusion.

Edit- also not sure why you have any STR mods, the only melee skill I use is Shadow Strike and it does plenty of alpha damage out of the box.
  • carrionbaggagecarrionbaggage Posts: 721 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    I agree that the Legion gear you listed is the best, but it's way out of my price range at the moment so I just opted for the cheaper Legion pieces I listed since I could afford them and the extra 3 slots overall seemed like an improvement over Heroic gear.

As a general reference, the "of _____" bonus from Heroic and Legion gear is slightly less than a rank 7 mod.

Legion gloves do not inherently boost Offense. In your proposed gear setup, Legion's Gloves of Offense with a pair of Severity Core 5 (+4.2 critical severity each, at level 40) actually gives less of a bonus than Heroic Gloves of Piercing with a single Severity Core 5.

I like Keiko's gear suggestions. I would use those until I could afford their top-shelf Legion counterparts. With Vigilante secondaries boosting DEX, I would prioritize EGO (to fuel Concentration) when balancing stat mods.
    edited August 2013
    I added in Str in the stat spread to get some Knock Resist and some extra benefits from the Seconday SS Spec Trees. Really, it's just another personal preference thing.
    edited August 2013
    I got ya, thanks a lot guys. Much appreciated.
    edited August 2013
    Sorry to double post, but to sort of build on my understanding a bit- could anyone provide me with a sort of benchmark for ideal stat totals?

As of right now, my crit chance is 42.8% with 97.8% severity. My offense is at 313.6 for +37% damage. My ego is at 152 for +27% ranged damage. I haven't had luck getting crit chance much higher than it is anyways with different stat/gear configurations- I'm assuming diminishing returns hits a big wall around the point I'm at. My dodge chance is 57.9% with 39.6% avoidance.

I'd just like to get a ballpark idea of what stat totals I should be aiming for, overall I've felt like I'm heading in the right direction build philosophy wise and I've been pretty effective, but I definitely would like to know what the more ideal 'min/max' totals would tend to be. I'm not expecting to tankmage without the free form access, but I would like to think I can get to pretty high end DPS and moderate to good survivability.
    edited August 2013
    You're actually looking pretty golden. Your Avoidance could be higher, but that's still a complete 39.6% mitigation when you successfully dodge so it isn't all that bad.

Offense's damage bonus hits a massive diminishing return wall, as does Defense later on down the line. You're looking solid, even if you avoidance is a bit lacking. (if I recall correctly, can't get on CO right now, my Night Warrior FF has around 50% avoidance and the same amount of dodge as you)

If you want to fill in some survivability holes, the Blood Moon device Supernatural Possession has a 50ft range and is a great self heal. It even heals people around you, and it can crit! My Soldier can expect 900+ health a tick from it if it lands a crit, which has been a lifesaver. Also, it's a hold, but it's not all that effective since it's one of the gimped Incapacitates.
  • ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Random Dump Of Information That May Be Wrong..

ayonachan wrote: »
    Old Non-Legion

"Base" critical chance is 0 BUT because you MUST have 10 dex it turns into 0.13%
    47 Critical Strike grants 3.9%
    95 Critical Strike grants 11.2%
    103 Critical Strike grants 12.7%
    198 Critical Strike grants 27%
    245 Critical Strike grants 32.2%

Base Severity is 50%
    4.6 Severity grants 61.3%
    8.9 Severity grants 65.6%

370 Cooldown Speed along with 10 int('lowest' amount of int you will ever idle with) turns:

5.9 seconds into 2.9 seconds
    15 seconds into 7.2 seconds
    30 seconds into 15 seconds
    1 minute 29 seconds into 43 seconds
    1 minute 58 seconds into 58 seconds
    236 minutes 27 seconds into 115 minutes 50 seconds

Legion

Base Dodge is 10%
    153 dodge grants 42.5%
    292 dodge grants 54.5%
    306 Dodge Chance grants 55.3%
    445 Dodge Chance grants 61.7%

Base Avoidance is 20%
    102 Avoidance grants 52.5%
    139 avoidance grants 58.7%
    241 avoidance grants 69.5%
    353 Avoidance grants 76.3%
    374 Avoidance grants 77.2%

Base Offense(0) grants 0%
    67.6 Offense grants 15%
    120 Offense grants 22%
    135.2 Offense grants 24%
    209.1 Offense grants 31%
    263.9 Offense grants 34%
    340.5 Offense grants 38%
    433.4 Offense grants 41%
    472 Offense grants 42%
    563.8 Offense grants 44%
    702.7 Offense grants 47%
    739.7 Offense grants 47%
    829.5 Offense grants 48%
    851.2 Offense grants 49%
    881.1 Offense grants 49%
    1040.7 Offense grants 50%
    1066.7 Offense grants 51%
    1188.6 Offense grants 51%
    1288.6 Offense grants 52%

Base Defense(0) grants 0%
    50.4 Defense grants 12%
    111.9 Defense grants 26%
    153 Defense grants 36%
    173.8 Defense grants 41%
    196.2 Defense grants 46%
    200.2 Defense grants 47%
    278.8 Defense grants 66%
    298 Defense grants 70%
    311.7 Defense grants 73%
    369.4 Defense grants 87%
    418.7 Defense grants 99%
    477.5 Defense grants 112%
    499.1 Defense grants 117%
    529 Defense grants 124%
    585.5 Defense grants 138%
    615.4 Defense grants 145%

482 Cooldown Reduction and 10 int makes 1 minute 58 seconds into 50 seconds

I have many many more things but they aren't relevant. I haven't done a legion critical strike/severity yet..nor do I really care to

Edit: Oh, and you can't obtain most of the higher numbers for defense and offense on legion gear alone but I left them all in since it isn't truly that big of a deal.
    ayonachan wrote: »
    Defense doesn't get any worst than it does at .5 but offense takes the biggest dump on all the values 200+.

At level 40 50.4 defense is 12% damage reduction and 615.4 Defense is 145% damage reduction.

(615.4/50.4)*12 = 146.524

Compare 145%(actual) to 146.524%('estimated')

(111.9/50.4)*12 = 26.643%('estimated') 26%(actual)
    (200.2/50.4)*12 =47.667% ('estimated') 47%(actual)
    (298/50.4)*12 = 70.952%('estimated') 70%(actual)

The difference between 380 and 390 is 10. 10 defense is virtually the same no matter where you have it BUT what it took to get that 10 defense will determine if it is 'worth' it.

Edit: I'll just drop this here because the question will occur in the future and I'd like to be ready for it:
    Layering:
    1. Base Damage
    2. * (1+AdditiveDamageBonus%)
    3. / (1 + AdditiveDamageDebuff%)
    4. * (1 + (MultiplicativeDamageBonus)
    5. / (1 + MultiplicativeDamageDebuff??%)
    6. / (1 + RedirectedForce%)
    7. * ((100% - Avoidance%) - AvoidancePenetration??%)
    8. / (1 + Defense%)
    9. / (1 + Block%)
    10. * (1 + NegativeResistanceDebuff%)
    11. - Flat Damage Reduction
    12. = Solution

1. Base Damage of the Attack.
    2. Calculate Additive Damage Bonus. This type of damage diminishes in value after around 96%-98%.
    3. Calculate Additive Damage Debuff. I believe that these are the only type of damage debuffs but...
    4. Calculate Multiplicative Damage Bonus. So far this type of damage does not appear to diminish.
    5. Calculate Multiplicative Damage Debuff. I do not believe that these exist but..
    6. Newest Addition to CO and it takes a large strain out of the user to keep up but it is useful to say the least.
    7. Dodge Roll. Calculate Avoidance mitigation. Avoidance penetration does exist for a select few NPCs and it merely nullifies not decreases. Dodge Chance 'reduction' does exist for a select few NPCs and even 1 player power.
    8. Defense. Calculate Defense mitigation(aka resistance). This includes passive resistance.
    9. Block. Calculate mitigation from Block.
    10. Negative Resistance. Resistance is permitted to go below zero if and only if there is enough negative resistance to bypass defense&block%. Defense penetration alone will only nullify not decrease. Negative resistance debuffs is what determines if you gain bonus damage or not. I do not know if Defense penetration and Negative resistance are on different layers.
    11. Flat Damage Reduction. Damage is not permitted to go below 1.
    12. Redundant for me to say what this is.

Shield - Solution = DamageHpTakes(If your shield has enough durability remaining this should be 0)

If PFF then:
    Solution *0.1 = DamageHpTakes

If VIPER and PFF then:
    Solution *0.9 = DamageHPTakes

Damage Debuffs only apply to the attacker.
    Resistance Debuffs only apply to the defender.

If you have DW then...well, let's just say that there is a way to describe the anomaly that occurs...

DW halves the product of block resistance, defense resistance and negative resistance then adds 0.5

100% defense resistance, 250% block resistance, and 0% negative resistance would yield 7 but due to DW it makes it 4.
    2*3.5/1 = 7 / 2 = 3.5 + 0.5 = 4

100% defense resistance, 250% block resistance, 100% negative resistance would yield 3.5 but due to DW it makes it 2.25.
    2*3.5/2 = 3.5 / 2 = 1.75 + 0.5 = 2.25

Form
    225 = 10%
    242 = 11%
    273 = 12%
    304 = 13%
    334 = 14%
    365 = 15%
    396 = 16%
    427 = 17%
    457 = 18%
    489 = 19%

Here is where I put my sympathy for those of you who took the time to read all that number and word junk that may be wrong...
    edited August 2013
    I see your spreadsheet collection and raise you one emoticon: :eek:

(Seriously though, thanks- can't wait to start combing through this.)